feature request for heroes mod

82 replies to this topic

#41 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:32 AM

Wow I've missed serious development by not browsing the forums lately. You've done a superb job Cultist, a new guru in the team would certainly speed things up even further for any future builds the coding teams intend to work on, I'm pretty certain that this won't be your only contribution to the mod.

:thumbsupsmiley:

#42 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:50 AM

Any more comments on this amazing work by Cultist because I've been testing it for weeks and its amazing to see, for example, an IG HWT entrench, gain experience, then uproot, and retain the same experience. I HIGHLY recommend Cultists' HEROES work go into 3.10. :thumbsupsmiley:
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#43 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:36 AM

Any more comments on this amazing work by Cultist because I've been testing it for weeks and its amazing to see, for example, an IG HWT entrench, gain experience, then uproot, and retain the same experience. I HIGHLY recommend Cultists' HEROES work go into 3.10. :thumbsupsmiley:

I'm pretty sure that you guys will implement it in 3.10, of course that is only if Relic do release a patch someday :thumbsupsmiley:

In my opinion no recommendations are needed, it's a must have, I don't even have to test it to know that, everything it fixed is everything we wanted since too long already, Heroes Mod on steroids, what more to ask for? Well, yes the patch of course.

#44 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:47 AM

Yes not quite sure what the hell Relic is waiting for when this is such a critical patch that fixes a small handful of what should have been quick fixes. I mean, [checks calender] its almost 3months since SS came out. :( Sh*T.. if it takes this long for such a small patch how long will 1.2 come out? A lifetime? Bah!

#45 ThetaOrion

ThetaOrion

title available

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:25 PM

Yes, that's kind of starting to bug me too.

The way they are going, they just as well skip 1.1 and start on 1.2 and get that done. It's kind of a joke, actually.

I read about the 1.1 patch hangup with people who buy online, but the way they are going when it comes to solving the hangup, Relic won't have it solved until 1.2 is ready anyway.

I have noticed, though, that anything from THQ in terms of patches takes on the order of half a year or more, compared to some other game producers. I don't think THQ is all that reliable anymore, either.

Edited by ThetaOrion, 27 May 2008 - 11:26 PM.

#46 Cultist

Cultist
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:46 AM

I haven't visited the forums for quite a while but still coding for HEROES so I've fixed some things.

The main problem (the unavailable transport check) is fixed, the Squad_CanSeeSquad (if unit can see itself) function works pretty well with garrisoned/transported units. :p

Only lately I've found out how to apply modifiers to squad members, it doesn't work with all units because it's a global bonus for a certain unit type but at least it works with unique Squads ie. the Command Squad which is really cool but is still unfinished not for all races.

Thanks for your commendations. ;)

Edited by Cultist, 29 May 2008 - 11:50 AM.

#47 Cultist

Cultist
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:27 PM

I've finished! :)
Changes:
  • New Squad Check for very fast attaching/detaching it checks only for names so it may not work properly if there are more than one Squad with the same name (This concerns the AI at most/only).
  • All New Squads with starting XP achieve level up immediately.
  • Loading/unloading from transport works automatically.
  • Modifier reapplying function changed to prevent false modifier applying (thats what happened to the CANONESS (see above)): Attached Squads detach update the modifiers and reattach (The upgrade function is used because the former reapplying didn't work with "Unique" Squads).
    This and Point 1 should prevent squads from going "beyond lv 9".
  • New solution for the HWT, they could be disturbed before now they are forced to entrench, you can build many HWTs at the same time. Because the new transport check the alternate form will only upgrade if squad transformes.
  • Attached Squads must detach to upgrade or reapply, there was a single command for reattaching, now they are forced to do the same.
  • There are more conditions for the attaching of squads check now. It is possible to attach all Squads with different(!) Names at the same time but this is probably only for the AI interesting.
    At this point I want to ask if it is possible to force the Ai to keep Squads attached for at least 5 sec. (I suppose this depends on Squad health, I've seen the WB attaching/detaching countless times when the Squads were under fire).
  • The Bloodthirster achieves Training Time only in battle: TrainingTime = TrainingTime + (iTimeDelta*1.0)/(currentLevel+1) and loses TT while idle.
  • The Big MEK receives a repair rate upgrade.
  • The tainted auspex, snare trap, torture amp, ascension angel are not in HEROES but will upgrade with their spawner.
    (The bonus Squad Mad Dok can upgrade the Burna Bomb).
  • An Error with the resurrection (XPtransfer) with the LS fixed.
  • There is something wrong with the Terminator Teleport ability, where the attached units modifiers are inactive (-> the squad would be removed) so a squad check for attached squads (before being removed) added.
  • New modifier applying added for "Unique" Squads (ie. FC, Ogryn, Archon, Baneblade). Modifiers are applied to Squad Members + the current damage is visible, to manage this I had to create/give the entity/weapon blueprints unique names there are no changes concerning the unit attributes.
  • Campaign wargear bugs fixed: wargear upgrades referred to skirmish/old DC weapons and units
  • In the Campaign the WB, FC received all research upgrades, now all Campaign Heroes receive research upgrades (except wargear of course).
Attached File  HEROES.rar   229.73KB   8 downloads
Put the attrib folder into Dowai_mod\Data

Hmm... the attrib folder gives you additional work for you, Thudo there are over 300 files!
Nevertheless, will you update the AI if you like the changes?

#48 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:37 PM

Err.. Cultist.. the Advanced AI mod project does not change game code by editing any vanilla \attrib info. This has never been our policy since Day0. We work "on-top" of game code, not directly try to change it otherwise we'd become a "balance mod" which just happened when I looked at your rar and noticed an attrib. We cannot add that to the Advanced AI because it directly contravenes our project's goals to better the vanilla code, NOT make direct edits to it that affect gameplay. Thats what all the 7+ balance mods I am a part of do.

Your HEROES work is valid for us, though, because it works on-top of the vanilla code. Thats what we value.

I would STRONGLY recommend going with Theta and work with him on your own balance mod as we do not allow for \attrib edits to our project. We never have hence the reason you will never see a custom \attrib folder ship with our releases. Please work with Theta to customize a seperate project with him as I know Theta is cool with that. We only work within the bounds of Relic/IL's code.

#49 Cultist

Cultist
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:48 PM

OK, Then I'll remove all research changes and upload a new attrib.

However are new entity/weapon blueprints (with unchanged stats) alright?

Edit: And what about: Campaign wargear bugs fixed: wargear upgrades referred to skirmish/old DC weapons and units ?

Edited by Cultist, 05 June 2008 - 02:53 PM.

#50 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

No no.. there is no \attrib for the Advanced AI project. We do not edit the game itself in this project as then it becomes "out of scope". We cannot do this because its a slippery slope to absolute inconsistency with other projects down the road. We have to maintain "code continuity" otherwise we'll have massive breaks with all other projects that rely on us. This is the precise reason there are balance mods which create their own custom environments to work in. This project is supposed to represent a universal norm for the community thus we cannot break this.

#51 Cultist

Cultist
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:06 PM

Attached File  HEROES.rar   18.49KB   17 downloads

This HEROES doesn't use attrib. Still most of the Skirmish "Unique" Units upgrade Squad members.

The Command Squad's Psyker and Commissar don't upgrade weapons.

Edited by Cultist, 15 July 2008 - 09:22 AM.

#52 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

Thanks man.. You understand why this project cannot directly touch/edit vanilla code, right? Thats why we have balance mods out there that set their own rules. We have AI specifically coded for all of em but this project always maintains code-sync with Relic. Thanks for your understanding -- your HEROES work is now the stuff of legend!

#53 Cultist

Cultist
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

Ohh... I've forgot to say, in both HEROES are 3 new Campaign Squads added.

1 Bonus Confessor
2 Regular Stealthsiut, Vespid Auxiliary

#54 Cultist

Cultist
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:26 PM

I am glad that you appreciate my work (my HEROES-MOD modifications it's not MY work of course), Thudo. :p

I wish I had asked you before if can create new blueprints for HEROES in conjunction with the AI-MOD. :)
This was really a lot of work...

I hope the problem with attached Squads which suddenly get more than their own modifiers and become "Uber" is really fixed, this was a very annoying bug!

Edited by Cultist, 05 June 2008 - 10:29 PM.

#55 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:30 PM

I'm glad I brought that forth before the AI devs did. At least you got the word in sooner rather than later. Will be testing your work!

#56 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:39 AM

I wish I had asked you before if can create new blueprints for HEROES in conjunction with the AI-MOD. blush.gif
This was really a lot of work...

Why don't you release it as a separate "Heroes Improved" mod. I don't know exactly what's the difference with the attrib files, but if there are significant improvements, I'm sure there would be a lot of people interested in it. We'd stick with the "Heroes Light" version to keep the game files unmodified.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your work! I hope, Relic releases the SS patch soon, so we can release the stuff.

#57 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:00 AM

Patch now scheduled for early july.

http://forums.relicn...ad.php?t=189678

#58 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:06 PM

Hmmm it'll be 4 months and thats what was fixed? Relic must be run by a bunch of grumpy old-agers. There is no mention what revision # this will be.. still 1.1?

#59 Cultist

Cultist
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:33 PM

I don't know if the changes in attrib are sufficient for a separate mod!

That's what I called "bug fixes":
Chaos:
chaos_wargear_upgrade_05 and chaos_wargear_upgrade_05_helm_of_lorgar_research:
sight upgrade for chaos_daemon_prince(Skirmish) changed into chaos_daemon_prince_advance_sp(Campaign)
chaos_wargear_upgrade_07:
chaos_accursed_crozius(DCChaosLordCampaignWeapon) -> chaos_khornate_chainaxe_lord(SSChaosLordCampaignWeapon)
DE:
No research or wargear upgrade for CampaignArchon poisoned blades (although it possesses this weapon) -> dark_eldar_leader_archon_hg_dxp3 added to poisoned blades research.
dark_eldar_wargear_upgrade_07:
dark_eldar_sword_archon -> dark_eldar_sword_archon_sp
dark_eldar_power_scythe_archon -> dark_eldar_power_scythe_archon_sp
IG:
guard_wargear_upgrade_09:
guard_leaders_commissar_command_squad -> guard_leaders_commissar_command_squad_advance_sp
guard_leaders_priest_command_squad -> guard_leaders_priest_command_squad_advance_sp
guard_leaders_psyker_command_squad -> guard_leaders_psyker_command_squad_advance_sp
SM:
marine_wargear_upgrade_08_gauntlets_research:
space_marine_daemon_hammer -> space_marine_daemon_hammer_advance_sp
Tau:
tau_wargear_upgrade_05_advanced_sensor_array_research:
tau_fusion_blaster_commander -> tau_fusion_blaster_commander_sp
tau_plasma_rifle_commander -> tau_plasma_rifle_commander_sp
These changes make these WargearUpgrades upgrade weapons/units of campaign squads.

Other Changes:
All Campaign Heroes achieve all upgrades from the CommanderUpgrade I & II (the WB and FC achieved all, the others partially).

All blueprints with a "_NEW", have their attributes unchanged.
Edit: We need blueprints with new names because squadtype modifiers are global bonuses for certain blueprint names but we want to upgrade only one Squad/Unit/Weapon.

The Command Squad's psyker and commissar don't receive weapon upgrades, but I didn't change this because the captain and priest receive these upgrades and it is still better to have at least 2 or even 5 units with all upgrades than only one.
HEROES without attrib only: If someone wants to make the Command Squad fully upgradeable, this is very simple:
Just copy the weapons: guard_laspistol_commissar, guard_power_sword_commissar, guard_laspistol_psyker, guard_psychic_spike_psyker and give them new names. Then open the entity blueprint guard_leaders_commissar and change the two weapon names into the new ones you've created, go to guard_race.scar and add those weaponnames to the Command Squad's weapons list, do the same with guard_leaders_psyker.
Edit2: This is ONLY for Modder who use this project, they can consider doing this for the CS if it wouldn't make too much effort.

Sorry for the late response!

Edited by Cultist, 08 June 2008 - 06:53 PM.

#60 Cultist

Cultist
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:37 PM

There is an error with the snare trap and the HP upgrade, if the TC's lv is >1 and the TE is alive the snare trap's HP grow to infinite.
As this cannot be fixed, only Relic/THQ can, the snare trap must be taken out or the upgrade function disabled for now, maybe a patch will change something.
Edit the Tau race file, either the HasLeaders entry must be set to false or delete the entries HasLeaders and Leaders, delete the snare trap from the campaign TC.

You may find this interesting: DOW2 has a rank system similar to HEROES all units achieve XP and LV and can be equipped with wargear, well at least in the campaign.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users