• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Havefun

Havefun
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:39 AM

Hello again!
This time i'll try to offer some ideas about game-balance, features and "constants of gameplay'".

1)Reduce "resource gathering radius'' off all resource production buildings! (there is value of 250 as far as i remember, so i think that 100-150 would be ok!)
I guess every1 hates that srupid "radius" thing of structures! Especially in small maps, when u have to build resource structures over whole map, just to gain ressources and increase CP!

2)Remove CP cost of heroes!
Well IMO this shouldn't affect heroes, becouse they are leaders, commanders of armies. But not something like "strategic weapons".

3)Set CP value increase thing to Heroes!
And again Heroes are Commanders and true leaders, so why they can't have this feature?

4)Increase CP value increase of Fortresses by 30-40%.

5)Starting Hero!
simmilar to starting units feature in WotE.
l'll suggest the weakest hero of each race as starting hero!
for example - Eowyn/Denethor for MotW, Dasron/Ludhil for Dorwinion, Thorin Stonehelm/King Brand - for Dwarves, Arwen for Elves, Fuinur for MotE, Grishnakh/Grimma - for Isengard, Hwaldir/Azog for Angmar and Gorbag/Gothmog for Mordor!

Adding Starting Heroes will help us to balance races in early game. Aside from that weakest heroes in 99.9% situations are never used...so this'll help IMO.

6)Return Ludhil back to Dorwinion!I always wondered why Ithron cuted Ludhil from game. She was very usefull to Dorwinion and was a nice support for heroes. (my favorite hero of Dorwionion :p )

7) Reduce CP cost of some early-game-imba-weak units!
That is really a pain when u have to build like 2 farms for just 1 bat of goblin-type 'spawnings'. Guess top-use of this units is their number. But due to their high CP cost it's like f....ed up =)

Ok here is small description and explaination about this ideas.

Well i've modded a bit WotE 3.1 a bit and made such changes in my ini.
It worked perfectly. I've tested it with LAN games (well i play BFME only in LAN games) and it stacks well with gamplay balance.
Doin so we'll have sagnificiantly more CP to train more Units i.e. makin skirmish games more enjoyable in terms of sizes of battles etc.

Oh and this is just my personal opinion and opinion of ppl with whom i'm playin WotE 3.1 atm.
So please ppl whrite up ur personal opinion about this things!
And if u wellcome them - let's hope this'll be implemented in future releases! (hopefully in 3.2)

P.S. if there'll be more possitive posts than negative - i'll update this topic frequently. =)

Thanks for attention and sorry for my english =)
Hope u'll understand this right!

Best wishes, HF!

Edited by Havefun, 13 April 2008 - 06:48 AM.

94% of teenagers today are a bunch of uninformed morons, if you are one of the 6% who actually reads the paper, or anything besides cheap magazines and a couple of schoolbooks, copy and paste this into your signature.

#2 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  • Projects:Wars of the East mod
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:07 PM

Reduce RGR value of Farms - we are already discussing over this. I personally find this idea good, so it has a chance to get implemented.

Remove CP cost of heroes - nah, it's a part of the game balance and strategy, so no. If we would remove it, some factions (mostly MotW) would be massively overpowered. We might think about reducing CP cost at some heroes, but not much more.

Heroes provide CP - there could be units those provide CP, but not heroes.

Increase CP value of Fortresses - we already discussed this - and YES ! Fortresses will have their CP increased (dunno about amount yet, though). Also, we plan to expand the CP production of Farms (from 50 to 75), so there will be enough space for the armies. We, too, like to play at big :p

Waiting for more stuff :p

Edited by MorrisB, 12 April 2008 - 12:09 PM.

Posted Image
---
"Well, I can't argue with that - modding IS hard. But what would have become of games like Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Dungeon Siege, Half-Life 1-2, Neverwinter Nights and BfME 1-2 if we, modders, weren't there ? They would have long been forgotten. Modding is hard, but it's an honorable thing." - MorrisB

#3 Kyross

Kyross
  • Hosted
  • 190 posts
  • Projects:WotE

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:20 PM

Yep, but not too sure radius is as big an issue. It helps to keep things under control I guess resource wise, and I often find myself with a massive excess of resource(200,000+) in most longer games. So yes, we'll definitely be increasing CP, what we do to the radius is still in question, and heroes will stay the same. With the added cp you should be able to have them without being too much of a problem.

I did play RJ mod for a tiny bit and noticed that's what heroes did, but we don't want to copy them but also there's not reason a hero would occupy almost no space in an armies resources and why suddenly they would ahve the capacity for more.
Posted Image <-- Actually more like coder/mapper/modeller, but there's no bar for that.

#4 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:35 PM

unfortunately in bfme2/rotwk heroes really are strategic weapons

#5 Havefun

Havefun
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:35 AM

True..............and that's one of the most stupid things that EA setted.

Aside from that.....i've updated topic! (look in first post)
94% of teenagers today are a bunch of uninformed morons, if you are one of the 6% who actually reads the paper, or anything besides cheap magazines and a couple of schoolbooks, copy and paste this into your signature.

#6 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

Starting Heroes - I, for one, rely greatly upon combinations of heroes, so I often summon even early-game ones. The idea is interesting, though, we'll consider about it.

Ludhil - if Ithron gives us permission, we'll bring her back as a normally trainable hero(ine) :unsure:

Reduce CP cost of early-game units - you have a point there. We'll discuss about it.

Waiting for more :p
Posted Image
---
"Well, I can't argue with that - modding IS hard. But what would have become of games like Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Dungeon Siege, Half-Life 1-2, Neverwinter Nights and BfME 1-2 if we, modders, weren't there ? They would have long been forgotten. Modding is hard, but it's an honorable thing." - MorrisB

#7 IthronAiwendil

IthronAiwendil

Retired modder

• Hosted
  • 1,452 posts
  • Projects:None
  •  Coder, skinner, modeler, art guy

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:26 PM

Starting heroes: why not? It's not my mod anymore, so you can do what you want with it.

Edited by IthronAiwendil, 13 April 2008 - 04:31 PM.

#8 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:34 PM

We'll bring Ludhil back, then :popcorn: but I have to think about starting heroes, as they are quite different in power levels (for example Gorbag is amongst the best early-game heroes in the whole, so it would give a big advantage to have him without even summoning him, while Denethor at MotW is kinda' weak compared to him if you ask me :p ).
Posted Image
---

#9 Kyross

Kyross
  • Hosted
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:40 PM

I really don't like the starting hero idea. Starting units is one thing, you can start playing right away and go for the capturable buildings etc, but heroes are not an essential part of the game and it seems like a bit much to start giving those out free to start. And as Morris mentioned, it could end up with something like Denethor vs. Gothmog or Azog or something which clearly isn't fair.

As for Ludhil, I would definitely bring her back if I could just find the assets. Mind telling me wheat her data file is called, Ithron?
Posted Image <-- Actually more like coder/mapper/modeller, but there's no bar for that.

#10 Havefun

Havefun
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:12 PM

yeah i also thought about that balance between starting heroes. that's why i temporary moved Grishnakh to Modor as starting hero and made Grimma - isengard's S.H.
ofc this doesn't have sense lore-wise...so we can just make new hero for mordor......ofc if u'll support this idea...

Something like - Dzirb'hek
Race: Orc
Class: Scout
In game use: Scouting and ambushing.
Strong versus: basic infantry
Weapon - Broken Rusty Sword
Armor - Leather, some mail accesories and rusty-old gondorian helm.

Abilities
lvl 1 - Keep your eyes open! [passive]
Nearby orc scouts, orc warriors, orc archers and spearmen gain 30% boost to their vision range
lvl 3 - Crow Companion[active]
Summons fast flying crow to spy on allies. (duration 30 sec)(cooldown 90 sec)
lvl 5 - Poison Blade [passive] (simmilar to lvl 2 CaH ability)
Deals small poison damage for small duration.
lvl 7 - Call the guards! [active]
Summons 1 bat of orc warriors and 1 bat of orc archers
lvl 10 - Scouting Mastery [passive]
Allows him to see invisible units

oh and by the way...are u gonna make new heroes in 3.2?

#11 Kyross

Kyross
  • Hosted
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:30 PM

Well if you can do this yourself that's your perogative, as the readme does say you're allowed to tweak it to your liking, but for the actual release no, and we do have another Mordor hero lined up.

3.2 is almost purely bugfixing and smoothing out some inconsistencies, but we already have a pretty nice list of changes, balances and new stuff for beta 4 some of which have already been touched on in this upcoming release. Beleive me, I'm just as impatient as you or anyone to get to the good stuff. xd For the next release or two after 3.2 you'll probably see some heavy change.

#12 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:31 PM

Grishnakh is already tied up to Isengard with a good reason. And well... EVERY hero HAS to make sense. It's important for me, as I'm the Loremaster of WotE, and it is my duty to record the descriptions, skills, backgrounds, purposes and motivations of all heroes, units and buildings (especially since Ithron began to work on a new website for WotE :p ).

Anyway, if we are going to implement new heroes, then it will be not a Beta 3.2, but rather a Beta 4.0 :popcorn: we DO plan to implement heroes in the process, BUT we'll need an experienced skinner/modeler to make their appearence and animations.
Posted Image
---

#13 Guest_aNaRcHiSt44_*

Guest_aNaRcHiSt44_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:36 AM

But you do have one. :popcorn:

I have a question that I am pretty sure I know the answer to, but I still wanted to ask it:

Are we ever going to see the Hobbits as their own faction?

Of course it would be really hard to come up with all the units and structures, but heroes would be easy. Just wondering aloud.

#14 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:23 AM

And WHO would that be ? Caluadan has left, ya' know.

As for Hobbits, sorry, but NO. It's just not worth the time. We could implement one or two Hobbit units, but nothing more.

Being a Loremaster, I could make up the basic faction concepts (buildings,units, heroes, etc.) within a few days, but if we were having the resources and time for making a whole new faction, we would probably rather spend it on implementing scripted maps and further big additions.
Posted Image
---

#15 Havefun

Havefun
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:55 AM

@MB totally agree! i also don't want hobbit faction, cuz it'll seriously slow down other things which are in porgress...

And what about heroes etc. it's really ok with me =) as i mentioned it's just my personal opinion, and that's why it's "idea topic" not "WotE update" =)

#16 Havefun

Havefun
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:56 AM

Sorry for double post! But i've updated my ''bugz''- basically about bugged abilities! Check it out please!

#17 IthronAiwendil

IthronAiwendil

Retired modder

• Hosted
  • 1,452 posts
  • Projects:None
  •  Coder, skinner, modeler, art guy

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:25 AM

As for Ludhil, I would definitely bring her back if I could just find the assets. Mind telling me wheat her data file is called, Ithron?

It's in the Dorwinion Beta/Beta 2.0 files (the secret heroes were taken out from the 3rd beta) :popcorn:

About the Hobbit faction: no, and even if the team would decide to make this faction, I doubt anyone could make all the necessary models/skins/2D art for them.

#18 Kyross

Kyross
  • Hosted
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:39 PM

I thought she'd been removed, but it was just as possible I wasn't looking hard enough. I'll download it later and pull her over.

And if you must use hobbits, play dwarves.

#19 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:45 PM

As someone mentioned this is just a bugfix, like a patch, rather than another update. Hobbits can't be implemented as there is no one to do it, no one wants them and they don't make a good faction imo

#20 Guest_aNaRcHiSt44_*

Guest_aNaRcHiSt44_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:58 AM

I know Hobbits would be too hard to make, but I was just wondering. I wasn't really expecting a 'yes'. I was just throwing it out there. I myself would also greatly prefer work proceeding on other more important elements of the game; improving aspects of the game that need it, implementing that campaign you guys were going to center WotE around, etc. I do not doubt that the idea of the campaign is nowadays a mere fantasy in the eyes of the venerable mod team, but alas, we can always hope, can't we?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users