Photo

Chinese troops are on the streets of Zimbabwean city

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:32 PM

I found this to be an interesting read. Chinese troops aiding Mugabe forces. They certainly support the current dictator but usually the chinese don't support nations by sending military advisors (troops) So I found that odd. Another random oddity is I actually have a date tomorrow with a woman from Zimbabwee. Abit ironic I suppose...

By Ian Evans in Cape Town
Saturday, 19 April 2008

Chinese troops have been seen on the streets of Zimbabwe's third largest city, Mutare, according to local witnesses. They were seen patrolling with Zimbabwean soldiers before and during Tuesday's ill-fated general strike called by the opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC).

Earlier, 10 Chinese soldiers armed with pistols checked in at the city's Holiday Inn along with 70 Zimbabwean troops.

One eyewitness, who asked not to be named, said: "We've never seen Chinese soldiers in full regalia on our streets before. The entire delegation took 80 rooms from the hotel, 10 for the Chinese and 70 for Zimbabwean soldiers."

Officially, the Chinese were visiting strategic locations such as border posts, key companies and state institutions, he said. But it is unclear why they were patrolling at such a sensitive time. They were supposed to stay five days, but left after three to travel to Masvingo, in the south.

China's support for President Mugabe's regime has been highlighted by the arrival in South Africa of a ship carrying a large cache of weapons destined for Zimbabwe's armed forces. Dock workers in Durban refused to unload it.

The 300,000-strong South African Transport and Allied Workers Union (Satawu) said it would be "grossly irresponsible" to touch the cargo of ammunition, grenades and mortar rounds on board the Chinese ship An Yue Jiang anchored outside the port.

A Satawu spokesman Randall Howard said: "Our members employed at Durban container terminal will not unload this cargo, neither will any of our members in the truck-driving sector move this cargo by road. South Africa cannot be seen to be facilitating the flow of weapons into Zimbabwe at a time where there is a political dispute and a volatile situation between Zanu-PF and the MDC."

Three million rounds of AK-47 ammunition, 1,500 rocket-propelled grenades and more than 3,000 mortar rounds and mortar tubes are among the cargo on the Chinese ship, according to copies of the inventory published by a South African newspaper.

According to Beeld, the documentation for the shipment was completed on 1 April, three days after the presidential vote.

Zimbabwe and China have close military ties. Three years ago, Mr Mugabe signed extensive trade pacts with the Chinese as part of the "Look East" policy forced on him by his ostracising by Western governments over human rights abuses. The deal gave the Chinese mineral and trade concessions in exchange for economic help.

The shadow Foreign Secretary William Hague called on David Miliband to demand a cessation of arms shipments.

A South African government spokesman Themba Maseko said it would be difficult to stop the shipment.

http://www.independe...say-811796.html

#2 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:26 PM

It's all trade. Where the Chinese sell them weapons, they get the raw or valuable materials they want or need to support their growing economy. To be honest, I don't think they care what Mugabe's government gets up to, so long as whatever was discussed in the trade negotiations is fulfilled.

#3 partyzanPaulZy

partyzanPaulZy

"quarawr!"

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Projects:Corruption Of Power - YR mod
  •  doing my mod alone till 1st release (then will see)

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:27 AM

You have succesfull product, Chinese will produce it's copy in hundred larger amount in few months! Is there bussiness vacuum? No, Chinese are there! Is there embargo? Doesn't matter to chinese, when there are some money. They are everywhere! Only in Antarctica not. Or maybe? (watching trade with penguins):thumbsupdrool:

"And this T-Shirt really isn't small, it's modern!"
"One stripe, ph31l3d ADIDAS, two stripes, bad ADIDAS, three stripes, normal ADIDAS, four stripes, better ADIDAS, more stripes, better ADIDAS!"
"Hundreeeed dolllarrs! No? Fiffffttyyy dolllars! OK, here you are for twentyy dollars!" (the factory price was 5 dollars)
Chinese are inventive and bussinessmen, too.
(Peking ducks from rats or Gyros from cats are another story, fried dogs are rather gypsi speciality, but they eat them, too)
Posted Image
"Soviet Union was a superpower and each superpower needs at least 1 war at 5 years to keep army in a good condition." ... my grandpa. USA create wars more frequently.

#4 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:37 AM

It's all about the money and the trade, if there's money, expect a race to it (by the nations), if it's trade, expect troops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users