Photo

Do you creative people have more interesting dreams?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:18 PM

Now there's a question for those of you into psychology and stuff. :D
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#2 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:29 AM

if you by dream mean as in having strange dreams while sleeping, i would guess they can be crazier than non-creatives dreams. but most likely because a creative person has more crazy references in their head. an average joe whose biggest joy in life is accounting prolly would have alot of strange dreams about numbers...

if you mean dream as in a goal in life:

Creative people have a drive beyond those that are "easier to please". most normal people would find a job that gets them enough cash (and if that does not fill them up, live their lives through their hobbies).

Creative people would wither and die very quickly if their working conditions does not encourage some sort of creative work. Half-creative/pre-creative people can get away by dedicating their free time to creative stuff like theater, art, and other things that inspires them.

There are different groups of creative people, theres the artistically creative and theres the entrepreneurial creative. those that wants to create animation/game models/paintings/concept art might not have the patience and know-how to create a business. And those who see a opening in a market and have a tremendous drive to create something to fill that hole, does not need to have a talent at artistic things but more administrative and economic knowledge.

ultimately, i don't really think there is a big difference on creative people and uncreative people. I think its mostly down to dedication and interests. Someone likes the easy path where they can spend they money they can get on stuff that interests them. someone likes the path where they educated themselves to become good at something that they love and then to work on that. someone has the dedication to get the skills to succeed, someone does not.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#3 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:49 AM

nice post on the goal-of-life thing, but yeah, i actually meant dreaming while asleep. i sometimes have a dream where i think 'that could be a good movie' (without boasting, it's very rarely) and i wonder if people who are less creative (i consider myself to be somewhat creative :D) ever experience that
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#4 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:36 AM

I'm no expert...but I'm pretty sure when you dream your brain is reviewing and sorting all the thoughts and events of the day. So...logically, if you think more interesting things, your dreams will be more interesting.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#5 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:02 PM

nice post on the goal-of-life thing, but yeah, i actually meant dreaming while asleep. i sometimes have a dream where i think 'that could be a good movie' (without boasting, it's very rarely) and i wonder if people who are less creative (i consider myself to be somewhat creative :D) ever experience that

I think you're just dreaming that aswell. When you woke up you'd think the dream would suck as a movie ;)

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#6 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:52 PM

I'm no expert...but I'm pretty sure when you dream your brain is reviewing and sorting all the thoughts and events of the day. So...logically, if you think more interesting things, your dreams will be more interesting.

So that's why I only dream about seminar deadlines, exams, embarrassing social situations, and having no money?
People tell me I'm reasonably creative, however I can't seem to escape the bubble of... the real world?
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#7 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  • Projects:siteMeister, Mental Omega
  •  The wise guy

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:38 PM

I haven't had a dream for ages. This is very likely due to my indifference to most every day matters :rolleyes:

Freud said that dreams are simply subconscious wishes or fears that just happen to materialise during sleep due to heightened hippocampus activity. A sort of failsafe so we won't go crazy with some of our urges. That has of course been challenged since, but who says there ain't some truth in it.

Edited by Blodo, 20 April 2008 - 05:40 PM.

ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (I)
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

#8 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

Spencer...it's probably because that's a majority of what you think about during the day, as opposed to the 2% or something of other stuff. Try concentrating really hard on something interesting for 10 minutes before you go to sleep and see if you dream about it, usually works for me :p.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#9 Cheshire Fox

Cheshire Fox

El Hombre Sinestro

• Hosted
  • 755 posts
  • Projects:Keeping Apocalypse and Wrath alive
  •  Apocalypse Admin, Wrath of Orion Admin

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:37 PM

I take about 6 mg of melatonin before I sleep each night, so I dream pretty frequently and vividly. What I dream of generally seems to be influenced pretty heavily by what I've been thinking of or doing over the past few days. My dreams can't really be a measurement since they're affected by outside influences, but I doubt creativity really affects dreams. I think how active you are and what you do with your time would affect it more, as what you do seems to be correlated to what you dream, but I also imagine a lot of it is genetic and generally affected by your personal makeup. Other factor such as stress, amount of physical activity, and amount of social activity probably affect it pretty heavily to, but I don't think creativity really factors in particularly strongly.
Posted Image
This is the place where all the junkies go, where time gets fast but everything gets slow.
I'll get to the moon if I have to crawl.
The problem with any government is that it eventually attracts politicians.

#10 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:19 PM

I haven't had a dream in ages (or more likely, I've had them but didn't remember), but I think that what you dream is processed by your brain by all your thoughts and experiences from that day.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#11 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:33 PM

Everything Freud ever said was absolute bollocks, I have zero tolerance for the man. I think dreams are just random thoughts that don't stop while you sleep. Like, if you daydream during the day, which everyone does (EVERYONE!) which is pretty obviously dredged up from your subconscious, because the whole point is that you don't try to think about it, and your subconscious (called that for a reason) doesn't stop ever. It's what keeps your body moving while you sleep, and keeps your mind ticking over. Dreams are just daydreams but at night.

However, from past experience, I believe there is also a more significant point to dreams sometimes. I had this one crazy dream once (I won't go into the details, but I'm absolutely certain it was a message from my subconscious telling me to be less of an asshole) and I didn't understand it at the time, but I wrote it down in my diary (I was only keeping it at the time because I was on holiday, and I always keep a diary on holidays) and then looked back at it that afternoon and suddenly it all made sense. Except that it used lots of references that I would understand, because it's my subconscious, and knows everything about me. Basically, what I'm saying is that dreams are mostly just random thoughts that pop up into your head while you're asleep and that is completely irrelevant to how creative you are. Your creativity would only affect what happens after the dream arrives: does it keep going, does it stop? Does it expand, contract? However, a small percentage of dreams are your mind telling you to shut the fuck up.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#12 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:00 PM

That would explain it then. I used to have nice dreams, not overly surreal. Now they've stopped. Probably the cultural slump in chavvy Watford affecting me.

#13 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:58 PM

Meh, if you don't dream you havent focused enough on it. Basically, everyone dreams, but remembering that dream later on requires more skills.

The basics for learning how to control your dreams(ie. lucid dreaming) is that you have to remember them. What good does it do you to be able to be a god in your dreamworld if you can't recall it later on.

read through this website on lucid dreaming and try a few of the mental tricks. I did for a few days and i did notice a great difference on recalling my dreams, but i couldnt be arsed to keep it up.
a few tricks though:

Sleep for 6 hours, wake yourself up a bit, and go back to sleep for 2 hours(messing with the different phases of sleep is prolly the easiest way of making things happen).
Bring half a glass of water to the bedroom, focus on dreams and remembering them in the morning while drinking it. Drink the rest in the morning and write down what you recall ASAP(making the brain start recalling the things related to the glass of water, hooking up to possible lost dream memories.).

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#14 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:57 PM

Bearing in mind we don't remember everything we dream...

However it stands to reason that the more creative, the more likely you are to dream wackier stuff. I would argue that more both real and conceptual knowledge would play more of a factor, though than necessarily being creative or inventive. How can you dream about something you cannot conceive of? I doubt the people of the Middle Ages would dream of spaceships, so if it is outside your conceptual bounds, you probably won't dream of it.

#15 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

Boomers Disposable Minion

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  The Lurker-Turned-Poster-Turned-Lurker

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:03 AM

I've been at absolute write recently (as I'm trying to write a book) and there was a thread about using dreams for story ideas.

I have quite a lot of interesting dreams, and as I say in the thread, I keep a notebook and pen next to me all the time in case I come up with a good idea. Of course, that's until I fall asleep, then the dreams turn weird.

And wrong.
Posted Image

#16 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:12 PM

I don't dream as much as I used to. Perhaps that's my boyhood imagination diminishing as I age. When I do dream, it's great fun - I wake up and think Wow. That was a great dream.

Like C_J, I use my [day]dreams as an inspiration for the novel I'm working on. Asides from my literature creativity, I also enjoy being artistically and musically creative.

So: I don't necessarily agree with the "Creative people have better dreams" statement, but I do feel it holds some bit of truth... Seeing as how I've never taken any philosophical courses or read anything philosophical in the least, I can't muster a much better reply than that.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#17 partyzanPaulZy

partyzanPaulZy

"quarawr!"

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Projects:Corruption Of Power - YR mod
  •  doing my mod alone till 1st release (then will see)

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:54 PM

My dreams are sometimes crazy, I had many dreams when I was looking on me from the 3rd person view. Or in another dream it was like I was watching some scene from video. One day I have been playing on PC too much, so I was playing some game in my dream and I knew I was looking on the laptop while playing (I think there was even something what interrupted me for a while like in a real life). At least I wasn't inside of that game. :mellow: :)
I remember when I was little, I had a dream where I was in big dark (dark-gray walls, dark-gray ground) warehouse, I walked and there was some demon before I woke up, I think (it's more than 10 years). I remember once I had a dream where I saw big 200l aquarium (I didn't know how many litres did it have in a dream, but see down) with a red fish Ximphorus helleri. I saw it from the "frog view".
I am sure I have this dream first (I remember just view on it, maybe there wasn't nothing more). Some months later my father bought me such aquarium as a gift (birthday gift if I remember well). I HAVEN'T been looking for aquarium, it was clearly father's choice of size and proportions. We had to find some hard-set steel stand. What we found was stand with the same height as that in my dream. That fish was only detail then (I really bought this fish). But I haven't known about this stand before. Sometimes I have such visions. In recent days I am too busy to remember my dreams, but sometimes I know what I have dreamed about, sometimes it's weird* like dream where I was at home. It was dark night and I was looking out of the window in the hall on a group of people looking to be in same age as me. There were 2 nice girls, suddenly they stared on me and in a while these 2 girls were in my hall and they were totally naked (well maybe it's because I have no girlfriend yet).
*like ghos soap opera

It was very weird to me (even in a dream) I haven't invited them, so they disappeared. Then I went to my room and looked out of the window. Some guy leand over drip (we have flat under the roof) and he was watching me. I think I told him off badly and he flew away and there was that group from the beginning of this dream flying with him and few other these somewhere away, it was dawning.

But I can be very creative sometimes, few days ago I was sleeping and I was counting something in this dream, basic arithmetics, but still, counting in a dream... :sad2:
Most of my ideas are made during awakedness or late in the night (time of learning on the exams).
I remember most of my dreams from interrupted sleeping (I have woken up from a nice 'moving' dream, I can sleep longer, I sleep again and the dream continues or another starts).

But still ... Have you seen that episode of the IT Crowd, where Moss invented "Abraka Da Bra"? :mellow:

BTW, Mendyeleyev invented Periodic Table of the (Chemical) Elements when he had a dream where he saw this table.

I take about 6 mg of melatonin before I sleep each night

Couldn't be this dangerous a bit? I know hormons concentrations in the organism are really low, sometimes hard to calibrate even for a skilled doctor.
Posted Image
"Soviet Union was a superpower and each superpower needs at least 1 war at 5 years to keep army in a good condition." ... my grandpa. USA create wars more frequently.

#18 Rawlo

Rawlo

Word Smith

• Project Team
  • 1,616 posts
  •  as it turns out, was never actually a convict, go figure.

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:09 AM

I don't dream much and I mean that litterally, I apparently average about 5-10 minutes of REM a night but the dreams I do have are often quite well umm I dunno how to put it, but they're not weird, they're not all over the place, like a photo as apposed to a picaso, some can be a bit strange though a bit more picaso'ish.

also I use to have 2 reoccuring dreams when I was a kid, happened up until I was about 12 or 13, every year on the same 2 days of the year aprox 2 and a half weeks apart I'd have these 2 dreams. First was that this house thats fairly run down accross the road would become an ant hill full of giant spiders that would hunt me and my family round our house while we hunted back with crossbows. and the other was being chased arround by this giant monster that looked like one of those pills from docter mario only about the size of a car, it was standing up and had two wheels it used to chase me arround at the local high schools sports oval. funnily enough I had a birthmark which appeared when had those dreams, and I got the shit teased out of me for it because it was on the side of my neck and looked like a hickey
The Least I Could Do - We all wished we were like this at one point
Ctrl+Alt+Del - A webcomic for the gamer in all of us
A final good night Burnie, sleep well mate, rest in peace
Goodbye Tig, you are sorely missed.
Goodbye to you aswell till, you'll also be missed

Xeno, RIP mate
"I'm going to go on the record and say that any substance abuse problem which creates women like that is ok by me"

#19 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:34 AM

Hm,the most wierdest dream I ever had was that I comited suicide from the 4th floor of an building.

Goddamn,I woke up crying,as I think somebody pulled me from the back to do this.

I think that...8 years or moe passed since that.

Other than that,I dream at my girlfriend,nothing too interesting.Just some happy moments.*

*Which in the end,ironicaly,all dreams end at Chernobyl :)

#20 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:26 PM

I get this one recurring dream, over and over again, and I know I've had it loads of times, but I can't for the life of me remember it. It's incredibly irritating. I think it involves some form of searching, but why or for what I have no idea. I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions for how to remember dreams you've had in the past?
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users