AI Driving issues

34 replies to this topic

#1 TheEmpire

TheEmpire

Privite Perkins

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:19 AM

Ok I was playing on kamino and was beating a Star destroyer with a mon cal crusier. I was just about to beat it when the AI drives it off the map! I wait for it on fast forward for 10 minutes. It never came back! I cicked auto resolve and lost. This is not the only time this has happened and on other maps. It also has happened on Vannila and and most annoyingly on AotR2. Is this normal or am I the only one one that this is happening to? Also is there a way to fix this?
"Just once, I'd like to destroy a starship that we didn't pay for!"
"Welcome to the jolly old death star."
"Vader gets the plesure of killing someone while we get to stay among the living. Private Perkins overhere has been stranged over 30 times haven't you Perkins." "Good man."

#2 A1Dasdfsdkli4r2

A1Dasdfsdkli4r2
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:15 AM

yeah i've sen it do this with fighters, I can even do it if I put a corvette too close to the edge (wide turning angle) but never a friggin star destroyer! wow, i don't know what to say other than retreat, come back with a bunch'a bombers and blast it to bejesus. that way it'll be FORCED back into the map.

#3 Kitkun

Kitkun

Hater

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:39 AM

Ouch. Never auto resolve unless you got only much bigger ships... but I've only seen ships go off for a few moments though, never for 10 minutes... and what's AotR2?

Frosty Freaky Foreign Forum Fox

<DevXen> Today I was at the store and saw a Darth Vader action figure that said "Choking Hazard." It was great.

#4 TheEmpire

TheEmpire

Privite Perkins

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

Ouch. Never auto resolve unless you got only much bigger ships... but I've only seen ships go off for a few moments though, never for 10 minutes... and what's AotR2?

AotR2 is the mod Awakening of the rebellion 2. It is a german mod with a english patch. It is good. But Phoenix Rising is better.
"Just once, I'd like to destroy a starship that we didn't pay for!"
"Welcome to the jolly old death star."
"Vader gets the plesure of killing someone while we get to stay among the living. Private Perkins overhere has been stranged over 30 times haven't you Perkins." "Good man."

#5 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:27 PM

This bug probably has somthing to do with the fact that in the map editor, only part of the map is playable. I don't know why it would stay off, though.

#6 Kitkun

Kitkun

Hater

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:35 AM

I did encounter this once, had almost all the map revealed, so I thought they just had some fighters, auto-resolved, and suddenly lost 2 dreadnoughts. Reloaded and let them retreat, and retreat sequence showed 3 ISDs...
But I don't see how exactly map editor would cause it...

<DevXen> Today I was at the store and saw a Darth Vader action figure that said "Choking Hazard." It was great.

#7 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:00 PM

I did encounter this once, had almost all the map revealed, so I thought they just had some fighters, auto-resolved, and suddenly lost 2 dreadnoughts. Reloaded and let them retreat, and retreat sequence showed 3 ISDs...
But I don't see how exactly map editor would cause it...

Map editor didn't, the way the maps are made did. There is a border where you can't see, but apparently the AI can go there. That would be fixed if the maps are resized.

#8 the drazz

the drazz
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:20 AM

I have problems with AI driving in general. I click on one point on the map that has no obstructions between it and the ship and the ship veers way off and chooses the longest possible path to get there.

#9 Kitkun

Kitkun

Hater

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:09 AM

I have problems with AI driving in general. I click on one point on the map that has no obstructions between it and the ship and the ship veers way off and chooses the longest possible path to get there.

That's just regular Foc, and is most notable with the bigger ships. Try getting an SSD to go to the right place!

Edited by Kitkun, 14 May 2008 - 06:09 AM.

#10 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:11 AM

Totally agree with you there. Still, I plan on re-sizing the maps, which will solve some of it.

#11 keraunos

keraunos

Dominus et Deuculus

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

I, on the other hand, plan to resize ships instead ;) See here:Icons and scale mod

It won't be perfect solution, but shouldn't take too much time ;)

#12 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:54 PM

I, on the other hand, plan to resize ships instead ;) See here:Icons and scale mod

It won't be perfect solution, but shouldn't take too much time ;)

The space maps should be very easy to do. Just, say multiply each edge by 1.5 and increase and move the various objects. There aren't that many, so it sould be about 15 minutes per map, perhaps less.

#13 keraunos

keraunos

Dominus et Deuculus

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:23 PM

Changing scale would take like 15 min overall. Additional benefit would be to finally see entire SSD ;) & more ships visible on map=better control over units

#14 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:35 PM

Changing scale would take like 15 min overall. Additional benefit would be to finally see entire SSD ;) & more ships visible on map=better control over units

Maybe. There's a lot of stuff to do, and I'm not sure how much. My method would work too, although the camera might have to be changed.

#15 keraunos

keraunos

Dominus et Deuculus

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

Good idea. Then our mods will be basicly the same when it comes to big ships; mine will probably be released quicker, while your will be better :)

#16 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:06 PM

Good idea. Then our mods will be basicly the same when it comes to big ships; mine will probably be released quicker, while your will be better :)

It also fixes this problem. Resizing doesn't.

#17 Kitkun

Kitkun

Hater

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:25 PM

How would it fix this problem?
The AI would just have to drive a lot farther to get it off the map.

Never underestimate the stupidity of an AI.

Edited by Kitkun, 18 September 2008 - 07:50 AM.

#18 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:52 PM

How would it fix this problem?
The AI would just have to drive a lot farther to get it off the map.

Naver underestimate the stupidity of an AI.

No, they wouldn't be able to get off the edge, because the edge of the map is at the edge of the camera area.

#19 Kitkun

Kitkun

Hater

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:56 AM

Eh?
I suppose I shouldn't be bothering you about a topic I know little about...
Sorry.

#20 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:31 PM

Eh?
I suppose I shouldn't be bothering you about a topic I know little about...
Sorry.

It's OK. XML is easy to learn, and the map editor, while complex, is not difficult to become proficient in.

Edit: I was wrong in stating that all of these problems are based on the maps. Actually, there's only a small band at the edge, so some things are traceable to that, but not all.

Edited by Kaleb Graff, 16 May 2008 - 01:37 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users