Rohan

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 Thorin

Thorin
  • Project Team
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:26 PM

As I've been quasi-asked to open this, I have. Nertea isn't happy with Rohan at the moment, so it's our job to come up with some more ideas for it.

I've already suggested a global upgrade/spell that once purchased is passive, and allows all your cavalry (including mounted heroes) to move faster (maybe about 20%, still not faster than the fastest mounts, though), do more crush damage, and has less crush decelerration (so can crush, for example, 3 or 4 enemy units in one charge, as opposed to the current 2). This isn't just a Rohan exclusive idea, but it definitely fits in with Rohan best.

/Plagerism... Can't remember what mod I got this from, but I thought it made far better use of Theoden's 'Glorious Charge'. Instead of the current taking 10% of damage (which is equivilent to +900% armour), it gave units no crush decelerration (they could run over units continually) and something like +200% armour. I think that's far better, and would be good (or a variation of) for a mounted Faramir/Imrahil/Erkenbrand, and obviously Theoden.

Oh and Nertea, you never said, is that 'For Frodo' ability viable - can infantry cause crush damage?

#2 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:38 PM

It's possible I think, but is graphically annoying - infantry units crushing each other looks silly (we had it before as a bug and ugh :)). I don't really know how it would interact with cavalry crushing as well, might be necessary to have the infantry count as cavalry for the duration, which then creates a hierarchy issue... yeah.

I'm hesitant to do anything with it as I plan to get infantry buffed a lot anyways, but I'll keep it in mind in case they need some oomph.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#3 Thorin

Thorin
  • Project Team
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

I thought it would look silly which is why I said that they shouldn't actually knock down the enemy units, just cause that initial 'contact' damage. Maybe it wouldn't look too bad, though, if you made them cavalry for the duration but only allowed them to knock down one unit each, rather than the current 2.

#4 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:02 PM

A cut feature in BFME 1, that Deezire's mod re-added, was the ability for horseless riders to return to the Stables and get new riders (provided the whole horde wasn't killed). That could be added.
Posted Image

#5 Thorin

Thorin
  • Project Team
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

Do you mean riderless horses going to the stables to pick up riders, or horseless men going to the stable to pick up horses? Does that mean that every infantry unit could be a rider?
I don't think that should necessarily be restricted to Rohan eitherway, though :)

Edited by Thorin, 23 April 2008 - 05:27 PM.

#6 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:41 PM

Riderless horses getting new riders.
Posted Image

#7 Thorin

Thorin
  • Project Team
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

But when do you get horses by themselves?

#8 Gaelicman15

Gaelicman15
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

It was scripted somehow so that your riders can die without the horses dying. I have a couple of questions, will the Helm's Deep Keep be able to use the great horn of Helm? Also will Merry or another hero like Eomer be able to use the Dwarf Horn from the hoard of Scatha the Worm?
"Do your duty, come what may." ~ Motto of the Knight's Templar

"Support the Faithful, Serve the Poor." ~ Motto of the Knight's Hospitaller

"Better be ill spoken of by one before all than by all before one." ~ Scottish Proverb

"Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you fight with your neighbor. It makes you shoot at your landlord and it makes you miss him." ~ Irish Proverb

#9 Bard

Bard

Wordsmith, Penman and Scribbler

• Project Team
  • 264 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  Rhovanion Alliance Writer

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:38 AM

Horn of Helm Hammerhand as a usable feature in Helm's Deep is quite possible, but a coder needs to confirm it, idea was suggested before anyway.

Merry's Horn is planned (as a high level ability, like Pippin's 'Troll Bane, Arnorian/Cardolani-Dunedain Barrow-Blade that was given to him by Tom Bombadil on the mound of the last Prince of Cardolan in the Barrow Downs'), yes

Edited by Bard, 24 April 2008 - 03:49 AM.

Posted Image

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

#10 Thorin

Thorin
  • Project Team
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:35 PM

Does Merry have an equivilent 'Troll Bane' thing as he did kill the Witchking with it :)

Can the people in the know tell us Rohan's current heroes?

What I know are;
Theoden
Eomer
Eowyn
Hama
Elfhelm

And in the minifactions;
Erkenbrand
Gamling
Treebeard
Quickbeam
Haldir
Celeborn

Is that correct?

#11 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:11 PM

Not celeborn, just Haldir
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#12 Foe-of-the-Nine

Foe-of-the-Nine
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:10 PM

I think Rohan in the Vanilla version never had any decent infantry... you know their peasants were just women and fat guys with hammers who could get swords and shields... PLEASE! I BEG YOU! get rid of the women and fat guys and give them REAL militia... I think they should get more soldier type infantry not necessarily good strong infantry... but at least something to work with... Also, I read they would get a Ram... this seems very... un-rohan like... I think that either ents should serve as their siege... OR... my idea about the huorn anti-building unit... massive HP, slow movement, tiny attack damage but such rapid attacks that it appears its draining the health out of the gate... like its pushing it slowly but steadily until it shatters... THAT would be so cool if you had a huorn unit that looked like it was "tearing" buildings apart rather than battering them down... hmm... also... I like BFME2's Rohirrim much better with their toggle weapon ability... much more true to the both movies AND the books (imagine that)... hmm more random ideas... OH I love the rohan royal guard units in TEA... so i think you could incorporate them in too as a sort of elite infanty... lemme think... ya I guess my suggestions are more light infantry that are not fat guys or women in dresses (swords, axes, spears, and round shields and the like)... Huorns instead of a ram... toggle weapon for riders... and Royal guards... ok I'm done fantasizing for now :) let the criticism begin :p
Posted Image
-No Victory without Sacrifice-

Did you know that approximately 87.32648% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

#13 Thorin

Thorin
  • Project Team
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

I like the idea that Rohirrim (or maybe only the elite Rohirrim/Royal Guards or whatever they are) can change between sword and spear - spears getting the bonus against other cavalry, and swords against everything else.

#14 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:26 PM

@ Foe-of-the-Nine, the idea with Rohan's core faction infantry is that they are by a standard fairly weak. But they're backed up by a small regiment of Royal Guards. As for women, well you remember Eowyn:

"Women of this country learned long ago, those without swords could still die upon them"

So the women in the peasant battalion is fairly rational. Futrthermore the great thing about peasants is they can be build from farms in great numbers, great for ealy game rushes, while ascorted by a hero or two.

Posted Image

#15 Foe-of-the-Nine

Foe-of-the-Nine
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:46 PM

find that in the books... NO woman... and I mean NO woman fights in the books... or in the movies for that matter... in fact the women and childrens of Edoras go to Dunharrow not Helms Deep in the books... they're not even anywhere near a battle!
Posted Image
-No Victory without Sacrifice-

Did you know that approximately 87.32648% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

#16 Thorin

Thorin
  • Project Team
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:51 PM

Even in times of conscription women were never used in battle - as a Man of Gondor remarked that even in such desperate circumstances they didn't expect Eowyn (and/or other women) to be there.

Though I'm pretty sure Rohan has some none-conscripted infantry now. Eorlingas or Helmingas or none-mounted Royal Guards?

#17 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:07 PM

You mean to tell me that the Eowyn line I recited was completely made up by Jackson?

Posted Image

#18 Gaelicman15

Gaelicman15
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:13 PM

No but it was taken out of place for the movie, Eowyn says it to the Warden of the Houses of Healing at Minas Tirith not Aragorn, besides Eowyn was different than the rest of the women, I doubt that the farmers wives had dreams to ride out and slaughter an army of orcs.

"Better be ill spoken of by one before all than by all before one." ~ Scottish Proverb

"Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you fight with your neighbor. It makes you shoot at your landlord and it makes you miss him." ~ Irish Proverb

#19 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:17 PM

probably...

besides, why is a battering ram for rohan, un-rohanish?
I mean... they use wood... alot... they never used the ents..
The ents helped them... all the time? Nope, just once... (a period-once)

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#20 Gaelicman15

Gaelicman15
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:21 PM

Well considering they use fast horses I guess a slow battering ram just seems well unrohanish... Maybe if it was a horse-drawn battering ram.
Edit: OOO! Just had a thought, since the Rohirrim are very Viking-like, they should have as foot soldiers axe-shield men, instead of the afore-mentioned women and fat men carrying saws and hammers.

Edited by Gaelicman15, 24 April 2008 - 09:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users