#1 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:32 PM

Well, this is for the ones who doesnt' get it to work..
I'm here to help :blink:

Here are also some tips to check out :good:

If the game crashes when you open up the Skirmish Screen, go to %appdata%\My Battle for Middle-earth Files\ in your Windows Explorer Address Bar. From here, find your Skirmish Profile and move it somewhere else for safe keeping so you can move it back if/when you uninstall the mod.

Your problem is because the latest mod you've played has a faction to much (ie, 5+).. and that you played that faction (or one of the factions) last.
For example, if you've played TEA, and been elves, the game will crash when you try to go into Skirmish, ect...
One thing you can do, is to either;
a) Play the mod you've played with the faction, and load up a game as a default faction (ie, gondor, rohan, mordor or isengard)
b) Go to "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\My Battle for Middle-earth Files" and delete the file WHATEVERSkirmishStats.ini..
on B, you'll lose all the stats you currently have, but since it's only the single player stats, it doesn't matter (Neither does online stats.. )

If you're new to mods or just unsure what to do when you click on the 4th Age Mod shortcut (once it's installed) it might come up with the message;
***Fatal*** String Manager failed to initialized properly
If that happens;
1. Adjust the shortcut's paths and targets to make sure they correspond with you're Battle for Middle Earth ™ core folder, or rather where the .exe is.
For example; mine is "C:/Program Files/The Battle for Middle-Earth/lotrbfme.exe. I've removed the EA Games folder and the ™ from the name of the game folder. Your installation path for the Battle for Middle Earth is likely different; the normal installation path is
"C:/Program Files/EA Games/The Battle for Middle-earth/ and thus where your game's .exe file should be. If you have moved it, adjust the shortcut or move it back to where it was before.
Note the space and the -mod tfa.big at the end of the 4th Age's shortcut; do not change that unless you renamed the .big file, which you shouldn't do.

Edited by Lauri, 20 December 2008 - 11:02 PM.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#2 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

"Compressed file invalid."

...what?

#3 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:14 PM

I don't know...

Re-download perhaps?
Yoda seemed to get it working..

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#4 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:23 PM

Yep, worked fine for me.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#5 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:29 PM

Well, the file's already on my computer, but for some reason a "Windows cannot access" message comes up when I try open it.

#6 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:57 AM

How big is the file? Probably an incomplete download.
Posted Image

#7 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:05 PM

It shouldn't be caused by me though...
Cause if someone gets it working, and I even tested it myself before I released it, well... :p

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#8 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:25 PM

Well, I got it to install and everything.
Just had to re-download :p
Anyway...last night I got a game.dat/runtime (don't recall which - may have been both) when I tried to access the "skirmish" menu.
I'm going to try again today and see if it still happens.
Cheers,
-mike

#9 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:28 PM

If that happens, delete your...

whatsitcalled...

the text files in your ''My Battle for Middle-earth'' files.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#10 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

Excuse me while I quote the text from the Installer....

If you are experiencing problems on the Skirmish Screen, go to %appdata%\My Battle for Middle-earth Files\ in your Windows Explorer Address Bar. From here, find your Skirmish Profile and move it somewhere else for safe keeping so you can move it back if/when you uninstall the mod.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#11 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

A man who used to be here

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:05 AM

if you play as anything other than the original four factions, then leave the game and play another mod or the original game and try to access the skirmish menu, the game will crash.

always make sure when you leave a mod, that the faction choice you're on is one of the original four.

#12 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:34 PM

if you play as anything other than the original four factions, then leave the game and play another mod or the original game and try to access the skirmish menu, the game will crash.

always make sure when you leave a mod, that the faction choice you're on is one of the original four.

Or you can just leave it as random :blush:

safsignature.png

#13 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

Yeah...

EDIT: Oh, that patch. I do now. However, it now starts up, but whenever I press the Skirmish button it says there's a game.dat error, so I still can't play.

Just throwing it here to keep this place clean :p
Your problem is because the latest mod you've played has a faction to much (ie, 5+).. and that you played that faction (or one of the factions) last ;)
For example, if you've played TEA, and been elves, the game will crash when you try to go into Skirmish, ect...
One thing you can do, is to either;
a) Play the mod you've played with the faction, and load up a game as a default faction (ie, gondor, rohan, mordor or isengard)
b) Go to "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\My Battle for Middle-earth Files" and delete the file WHATEVERSkirmishStats.ini..
on B, you'll lose all the stats you currently have, but since it's only the single player stats, it doesn't matter ;) (Neither does online stats.. ;))

B is the quickest way to do it btw ;)

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#14 Echo

Echo

T3A:Online

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  • Projects:Lot3A
  •  ~~
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:21 PM

Hey, I've just realized that m@tt is also here :p
Hello :)

Ok I'll try it now, I hope I can get it to work ;)

26285.png

#15 aNaRcHiSt44

aNaRcHiSt44
  • Members
  • 94 posts
  • Projects:Nothin.... XD LAZINESS RULES!!
  •  Member? Whatev

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:43 PM

I just want to point something out as well people; if you're new to mods or just unsure what to do when you click on the 4th Age Mod link (I mean once it's installed (to play the game)) it will likely come up with **Fatal String Error** or something like that.
If that happens;
1. Adjust the shortcut's paths and targets to make sure they correspond with you're Battle for Middle Earth ™ core folder, or rather where the .exe is.
For example; mine is "C:/Program Files/The Battle for Middle-Earth/lotrbfme.exe. I've removed the EA Games folder and the ™ from the name of the game folder. Your installation path for the Battle for Middle Earth is likely different; the normal installation path is
"C:/Program Files/EA Games/The Battle for Middle-earth\ and thus where your game's .exe file should be. If you have moved it, adjust the shortcut or move it back to where it was before. (little e)
Note the space and the -mod tfa.big at the end of the 4th Age's shortcut; do not change that unless you renamed the .big file.

Phew.....I just felt like typing, and I decided; why not help? I've never done THAT before rofl! Hope this helps people!
After all this time, I decided I'd start playing BFME 2 again; after all, it's one of the few games I keep coming back to.....even three-four years after it was made.....
Anyway, my computer has been upgraded; it's just a graphics card, but it's a HD Radeon 4870. How's that for gaming love? I can run Crysis on high at 60fps, maybe at highest (I haven't checked) and the rest of my computer is still actually pretty good; so I'm happy.

Anarchy is so stupid......see IM A REBEL!

Im a lover of footy now, and I can't wait to watch Jarryd Hayne the superhuman and Fuifui Moimoi the tongan bulldozer play in the Four Nations cup. WOOT Hindmarsh is gonna play for Australia now, even with a broken shoulder! Woot he's crazy.

#16 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:57 PM

Good to see you want to help ;) Here's the error for you :) (I have it on E:/Games/Battle for Middle-Earth, but had to test-install my own mod before release, so I have a non working shortcut atm :p)

***Fatal*** String Manager failed to initialized properly

edit: added it to the first post... slightly edited :p

Edited by Lauri, 20 December 2008 - 11:03 PM.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#17 aNaRcHiSt44

aNaRcHiSt44
  • Members
  • 94 posts
  •  Member? Whatev

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:48 PM

Heehee I might know fluff about modding, but I sure can get things working. If you want me to write any other stuff like for helping people with bugs, instalation, etc then just tell me :) Glad to be of service.
Wait...I think I just found myself a job.....hehe

Come to think of it adjust you're shortcut :p ; sucks to not be able to play your own mod lol

Edited by aNaRcHiSt44, 20 December 2008 - 11:50 PM.

After all this time, I decided I'd start playing BFME 2 again; after all, it's one of the few games I keep coming back to.....even three-four years after it was made.....
Anyway, my computer has been upgraded; it's just a graphics card, but it's a HD Radeon 4870. How's that for gaming love? I can run Crysis on high at 60fps, maybe at highest (I haven't checked) and the rest of my computer is still actually pretty good; so I'm happy.

Im a lover of footy now, and I can't wait to watch Jarryd Hayne the superhuman and Fuifui Moimoi the tongan bulldozer play in the Four Nations cup. WOOT Hindmarsh is gonna play for Australia now, even with a broken shoulder! Woot he's crazy.

#18 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:38 AM

Heh, sure yeah. Feel free to help out anyone that requires it ;)
Bugs aren't much helping with, as I don't want to help everyone fixing the bugs themselves by going into the mod files... :)
Helping out people who can't get it to working and stuff though, that's appreciated:)

And yeah, I'll have to edit the shortcut sometime... once I remember how to play in windowed mode... :p

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#19 aNaRcHiSt44

aNaRcHiSt44
  • Members
  • 94 posts
  •  Member? Whatev

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:14 AM

Hehehe.
Noted; hopefully people won't need to ask LOL I'm already slacking rofl
Nah, go ahead people :p
Funny.....

#20 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:36 AM

is this suppose to happen?the A.I. who plays as rhun goes to the settle ment and builds an isengard lumber mill lol its ok but i want to know if i have done somthing wrong... :evgr:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users