#1 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:18 AM

Ok guys, here's the jist of it. We're looking to build online statistics system, a web page that can be searched and sorted and stores a few vital statistics. These statistics are to be sent from a player machine to the system, and received by what would most likely be a PHP back-end, before the sorting and being stashed in the database. We have someone who can program such a back-end relatively quickly.

Of course, there are a lot of security issues. We need to use some sort of verification system, wherein perhaps the player may register a user name and password on the site before being able to post statistics. The interface for this can be in the game itself; but it can also be included on the website. It may also be prudent to use some form of low-level encryption.

I'm hoping this will be possible.

First things first, the programmers who are set to work on the back-end will need Project team access to view this forum and thread;
http://forums.revora...?showuser=14399
http://forums.revora...p?showuser=3576

And the next of course, is working out the specifics. This is mostly not my field, so it's these guys you're going to mostly need to be talking to.

Thanks!

Luke

#2 Torn

Torn

Mmphumph!

• Hosted
  • 2,238 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  Mmmph mm mumph umph!

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

Is this supposed to be here?

#3 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:45 PM

Yes. Given that the topic has a lot to do with web-security issues (sending data from a player machine directly to the SL website), it would be pretty irresponsible to go ahead without first discussing any of it with the server admin.

#4 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

As long as you aren't executing anything they send server side (putting it in a DB is fine), there shouldn't be an issue. As for verifying the data as legitimate, you'll probably want to use some sort of encryption, probably a public key system. I don't really have much to recommend beyond that, I haven't thought about doing something like this much at all.
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#5 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:53 PM

Good to know it doesn't necessarily pose much risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users