#1 Cheshire Fox

Cheshire Fox

El Hombre Sinestro

• Hosted
  • 755 posts
  • Projects:Keeping Apocalypse and Wrath alive
  •  Apocalypse Admin, Wrath of Orion Admin

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:45 PM

I found this book on the recommendation of a family friend of mine, a professor at a nearby college. It's written originally in Polish by a man named Stanislaw Lem, notorious in the science fiction community in his day for his scorn towards his American contemporaries. This book is absolute genius. The stories initially seem like childish little medieval - era fantasy tales, until you realize two things: a. all the characters are robots (it actually took me a bit to understand that), and b. how very deep they are.

The stories themselves are pretty entertaining, in a kind of cute way, focusing around two "constructors" capable of building anything. The way in which they are forced to use there machines are generally pretty interesting and surprisingly logical, but the when you look back at them they generally exploit a weakness in human character you never realized was there. I'd really recommend this...
Posted Image
This is the place where all the junkies go, where time gets fast but everything gets slow.
I'll get to the moon if I have to crawl.
The problem with any government is that it eventually attracts politicians.

#2 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:51 AM

so its a sci fi fantasy type thing? (eg, medieval, but you say they are robots...)

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Cheshire Fox

Cheshire Fox

El Hombre Sinestro

• Hosted
  • 755 posts
  • Projects:Keeping Apocalypse and Wrath alive
  •  Apocalypse Admin, Wrath of Orion Admin

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:34 PM

Yeeaah...but it's not really based around stories, as in it's not epic adventures, the emphasis is more on the deeper meaning. It's not an action novel, is what I mean.
Posted Image
This is the place where all the junkies go, where time gets fast but everything gets slow.
I'll get to the moon if I have to crawl.
The problem with any government is that it eventually attracts politicians.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users