189 replies to this topic

#1 Grizzlez

Grizzlez

title available

• Project Team
  • 667 posts
  •  Coder/ini/FX writer, Skinner

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:33 PM

Basically I need ideas for the ring hero powers. Post the hero and some power suggestions, i'll choose the best from a variety of peoples ideas an get working on creating them. I'll also post all the videos/screens from now on in here to show you guys and get feeback and to also give Rob the option of including some in the updates if he wishes to.

How it all works. From RobnKarla:

- Heroes only can pick up the ring
- When Gandalf picks up the ring, his stance button is moved to a different slot (so you can still change them) and it is replaced with a ring button
- When clicked, you used the ring (Right now I have that wait for ~2 seconds. We can increase if we want, I just wanted to leave enough time to cancel if you want.)
- Once used all powers regardless of level are available. (i.e. Word of power can be used at level 1. This is also a good way to show off seldom reached level 10 powers in a game)
- I'm planning on then switching the ring/stance button with a switching commandset which will the open up "ring" powers - so up to 5 ring powers if we want. I've not done this, but this should be a piece of cake, really. If I can't then I'll just switch for 1 power and maybe switch out different powers for better ones.
- When the ring is used a countdown timer starts. The time is set by hero, and it is not displayed as you don't know when the corruption will start.
- Once the countdown ends, the ring corrupts Gandalf, doing some constantly over time. How much damage and how often is also by hero.
- Once the ring finally kills the hero it is dropped and others can pick it up
- When the hero respawns, he respawns without the power of the ring, but can re-use it/pick it up again if desired.

This system is in addition to the ability to take it back to the fortress. Right now I have not changed the ring heroes, though I wil remove the ring hero for many factions and replace with other options.

Gandalf
1) Istari Lights - Video

Edited by Grizzlez, 13 May 2008 - 12:17 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Dre@mer

Dre@mer

Maker of the Rise of Sauron mod

• Hosted
  • 475 posts
  • Projects:Rise of Sauron mod, RJ ROTWK
  •  Mapper, scripter, video maker.

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:06 PM

This looks very nice

#3 kobrakai

kobrakai

title available

• Project Team
  • 601 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK Mapper
  •  Mapper and Beta Tester

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:17 PM

wow very cool, i like it
Posted Image

'What's so civil about war anyway' - Axl Rose

#4 Grizzlez

Grizzlez

title available

• Project Team
  • 667 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:47 PM

As good as feeback is, I really, really, really need ideas so I can make more. I'm not too good with making ideas so if you guys can post your ideas i'd appreciate it. The more ideas I have to choose from, the better my work can be and the more I can make. I'd like a big number of things to make for when my exams finish at the beginning of June where i'll be aiming to make 3-4 a week to try to get the new system moving along.

Edit:
Also, anyone who knows fx coding, you can use this to show previous fx work to join the team and help with this.

Edited by Grizzlez, 12 May 2008 - 10:00 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 TowerGuard418

TowerGuard418
  • Project Team
  • 164 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK Mapper

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:02 PM

Saruman could have a fireball attack that shoots something like 12 fireballs around him that catch the land on fire.
Ideas aren't my thing. :p

The istari lights power is amazing! :p

Edited by TowerGuard418, 12 May 2008 - 10:03 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Dalf32

Dalf32

The Ever-Willing

• Project Team
  • 1,923 posts
  • Projects:Beta Testing RJ-RotWK

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:21 PM

there was a great multiplayer gladiator map that was very popular online for vanilla bfme2 but i cant remember what it was called. return of morgoth perhaps (i think the name guy who made it is jbv or something like that?). well anyways it made new powers for all of the major FoL heros and they were pretty epic. so perhaps you could check taht out for ideas.
ill try and find a link so ill post that here when/if i do.

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:30 PM

JBV was awesome....

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#8 Dalf32

Dalf32

The Ever-Willing

• Project Team
  • 1,923 posts
  • Projects:Beta Testing RJ-RotWK

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:35 PM

well since yoda provided me a divider i get to add a whole new post! yay

i found the map on filefront here so i suggest you give it a shot; even if just for the sake of fun.

yeah, jbv was an awesome mapper, but not that nice a guy... whatever, i still respected him because of the sheer number of great maps he made.

while on the topic of great mappers: if you're feeling nostalgic, look up dennis agodzo's maps (probably under "DA", theres 3 or 4 of them) for bfme1. they are spectacular (can be found at mev somewhere), better than any others ive played; perfectly balanced and very well detailed. good stuff

well this has gotten ot fast, so ill shutup now...

Edited by Dalf32, 12 May 2008 - 10:36 PM.

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 EggyDan

EggyDan

Eodynn

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:59 PM

Couple of random ideas...

Radagast: (name unknown) A power that makes large vines shoot upwards from the ground at random places around Radagast, for a limited time. The vines would pop up from the ground, damaging nearby units, and then return to the ground/dissolve or whatever.

Gimli: (name unknown) When activated, Gimli starts throwing axes in random directions. The axes travel quite fast, and just plough through units that are in their path. They have a decent range. Gimli throws them quite fast, i.e. not much time in between the throwing of one axe and the next.

Erm, well theres my random ramblings for today. And I think I used the word random way too much. Keep at it team!

#10 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:08 PM

Wow eggy...it's been forever :p

Grizzles....just, big explosions. Lots of big explosions. :p

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#11 Grizzlez

Grizzlez

title available

• Project Team
  • 667 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:23 PM

JBV was a leader at IP, so I know him quite well. I know the powers you mean, ive also seen many others. I can make my own powers like that, but I think its best for the community to have their input seeing as they will play it, if all you want is powers like the Gladiators, I can easily do that, just want unique ideas for them as i'm not copying the exact work of people I know.

EDIT:Added some info on ring system to the first post, otherwise I don't think people will totally understand what i'm showing.

Edited by Grizzlez, 13 May 2008 - 12:17 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:22 AM

For some cavalry hero (like Eomer or Theoden), a temporary boost to nearby cavalry that gives enough trample to pretty much decimate everything (including mhhs) just by running over them.

EDIT:

This was taken for my ideas for Robnkarla as an easter egg hero, but perhaps for one of the Blue Wizards--

Orbit (target enemy unit orbits quickly around the hero, and crashes into other enemy units, causing severe damage and knockback)

Edited by Ravnin IV, 13 May 2008 - 12:26 AM.

Posted Image

#13 dojob

dojob

AoW+DoW ftw

• Project Team
  • 1,304 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for WoA, RJ, and KotW
  •  Cav Rusher + Beta Tester

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:46 AM

there was a great multiplayer gladiator map that was very popular online for vanilla bfme2 but i cant remember what it was called. return of morgoth perhaps (i think the name guy who made it is jbv or something like that?). well anyways it made new powers for all of the major FoL heros and they were pretty epic. so perhaps you could check taht out for ideas.
ill try and find a link so ill post that here when/if i do.

Holy crap I loved that! :p Those could definitely make for some good powers :p
Some helpful info on RotWK replays
Game Replays Forums; I am Panda Bear™
Awesome sig by TravTech :D PANDA POWER!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And please add Bear-mans

#14 xno The Black

xno The Black

Xno The Black

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Projects:Cheering up Wars of the East mod & RJ ROTWK
  •  The Second Founder

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:14 PM

COOL! :p
Was that means awesome powers are coming up?!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Everything is fortunated and many paths have been given.
To Choose or To be Chosen, you decide - Fëanáro Nénmacil

I'm currently looking for my BEST friend. We haven't contacted each other since I was a little boy.

#15 Grizzlez

Grizzlez

title available

• Project Team
  • 667 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:25 PM

I don't think people understand, its not leadrship type buffs for other units, its big devastating powers for heroes. Like the Gladiator you talked about, but I need unique ideas based on the heroes, so Gandalf would be more typically light powers, Saruman fire, Arwen water etc.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 myster

myster
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:51 PM

Gandalf -> Fire/light powers
Saruman -> Power of his voice/weathercontrol?
Radagast -> animals/plants
Aragorn -> basicly a good variant of sauron(though going by lore having good leadership powers is better)
Elrond -> air-based attacks + healing
Arwen -> water-based(though probably better at healing)
Galadriel -> water-based + maybe some control over time(because of her the lorien forest didnt die out)
All dwarven heroes -> become some kind of ''uber-tank'', strong attacks with axes. Maybe something to do with gold or greedyness
Thranduil/Legolas/Haldir/Faramir -> some arrow attacks + maybe stealth options.
Glorfindel -> monsterslaying abilities(killing balrog bear-handed) + maybe shadowworld related attacks
boromir -> better attacks
Rohan heroes -> some ultra tramples and stuff
hobbits -> just invisibility

thats all i can think of.

#17 xno The Black

xno The Black

Xno The Black

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Projects:Cheering up Wars of the East mod & RJ ROTWK
  •  The Second Founder

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:20 PM

Saruman - > Fire, Lightning, Voice and maybe as myster suggested weather-control. He's the "Man of Skill"

P.S. Voice (The Power of Opera), Weathercontrol (Did he work for the Weatherforecast before?)
That's off topic. Sorry for that ;)

Edited by xno The Black, 13 May 2008 - 03:20 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Everything is fortunated and many paths have been given.
To Choose or To be Chosen, you decide - Fëanáro Nénmacil

I'm currently looking for my BEST friend. We haven't contacted each other since I was a little boy.

#18 Wundai

Wundai
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:54 PM

Treebeard: Growling power which stuns all enemy units on the map for a period of time (not that much fx, but the power is effective against large enemy armies ;) )
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Grizzlez

Grizzlez

title available

• Project Team
  • 667 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:10 PM

I'm not sure how to actually explain it any simplier, you all have the idea wrong.

Once the hero gets the ring, he turns into a super hero with immense abilities but he begins to die, hence the need for big abilities to inflict as much damage as possible before you lose the hero.

The type of ideas i'm looking for.

Gandalf:
Lightning Storm

Clouds build up around Gandalf, lightning rises up from his sword into the sky. Then in a large distance around him lightning bolts start crashing down destroying anything in their path, lighting the ground on fire. As the ability finishes all the lightning moves towards the centre and join together to cause a massive explosion extended out over a large radius obliterating all in its path.

Does this make it a lot clearer? Your all thinking too small or in msyter's case totally the wrong direction, just use those types of ideas to think up new abilities.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 myster

myster
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:09 PM

im not thinking in the wrong direction. Just making clear in what kind of direction the powers should be for the heroes. Im not really the best person for actually making up powers.. just the underlying basis =) was hoping to make it a little easier for you to make things up..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users