Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:07 AM

Nice little rant there, all the points of which we have covered already. However, I would like to add that 'Stardust', which was released last year at some point, was based on the book by Neil Gaiman, and adapted for film by him, and was nowhere near a blockbuster. The problem is that, while the authors have a good idea of what the story is about, being its progenitors, they aren't generally so hot on making it into a film. Of course, Neil Gaiman's books gain their awesomeness mostly in the writing, so obviously a film wouldn't work quite so well. But he did most of the scriptwriting and had a significant input into the directing, and it got canned. So don't think doing it your way is necessarily the best way.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#42 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:58 PM

Get it right, you're a degenerate hentai otaku. Or, has CodeCat... turned you?! (jk, CC)

Nah. CodeCat has nothing to do with my furriness. Not one bit. :)

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#43 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:47 PM

Stardust is a god damn awsome film. It's a master piece of film.
Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#44 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:11 PM

It's still a far better book. And it doesn't really matter how awesome we think it is, it got some pretty poor reviews and didn't do very well at the box office. So, yeah. Get a recognised screen writer or you won't succeed, the message seems to be.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#45 Folca the Hunter

Folca the Hunter
  • Members
  • 72 posts
  • Projects:BFME: "The Battle for Narnia" mod
  •  Coming to terms with my great loss...

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:51 PM

Nice little rant there, all the points of which we have covered already. However, I would like to add that 'Stardust', which was released last year at some point, was based on the book by Neil Gaiman, and adapted for film by him, and was nowhere near a blockbuster. The problem is that, while the authors have a good idea of what the story is about, being its progenitors, they aren't generally so hot on making it into a film. Of course, Neil Gaiman's books gain their awesomeness mostly in the writing, so obviously a film wouldn't work quite so well. But he did most of the scriptwriting and had a significant input into the directing, and it got canned. So don't think doing it your way is necessarily the best way.

True, some authors have directed movies of thier books. True, many of them have failed. However, I have experience in Scriptwriting, Blocking, Line Delivery, and Directing. True, I may not be some well known director like Peter Jackson, but I'm not in the dark about the production. True, Doing it my way may not be the best way. However, I'm not going to let some stupid Director Drag my name and book through the mud just to line his pockets.
There is much I choose to conceal from the world. I live among people, though they hold little interest for me in times of normality. My life has been quiet, and confined to what little I can glimpse from the fractures of my high life. I am a king. My realm is not of this world, but how can one rule what exists not in reality? I am a writer. I am a king. I am...alone.

The greatest of wealth can come from the smallest of men. From the smallest of wealth can come the greatest of men.

"http://www.majhost.c...pics/co_sig.jpg[/img

#46 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:57 PM

This is, of course, assuming that you can find a filmmaker willing to fund making your book into a film. Or indeed a publisher for your book in the first place. Also, question: what's 'Blocking'?

#47 Folca the Hunter

Folca the Hunter
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:58 AM

This is, of course, assuming that you can find a filmmaker willing to fund making your book into a film. Or indeed a publisher for your book in the first place. Also, question: what's 'Blocking'?

Blocking is a term used to refer to the scripted movements the actor makes while portraying a part.

Publishing is accually easier than most people make it. The problem is that most aspiring writers don't like the editing stage. They try to get a book published, and they are told to work on it. But of course say they spent 3 years of thier life working on this book and now its not good enough, they become disheartened and they quit. If you persevere, keep editing, and manage to get it to a point where they like it, it's all uphill from there. If you want to convince them of your capabilities, here's a tip; Use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling as much as possible. I have heard so many cases of people with great storylines created canned because they couldn't write well, and people with very sketchy plots get published, where they too usually failed, but that's beside the point.

As for funding, let's just say that the biggest names aren't always the best places to go. I have my sources, and my friends. I say we leave it at that.
There is much I choose to conceal from the world. I live among people, though they hold little interest for me in times of normality. My life has been quiet, and confined to what little I can glimpse from the fractures of my high life. I am a king. My realm is not of this world, but how can one rule what exists not in reality? I am a writer. I am a king. I am...alone.

The greatest of wealth can come from the smallest of men. From the smallest of wealth can come the greatest of men.

#48 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:36 AM

LOL. Oh my god, this could be the greatest thing ever. In the same way that a THIRTY CAR PILE UP is awesome.

I love seeing massive car pile-ups on the news. The more bodies the better. It doesn't have to be a car pile-up though. Just any major incident where people are killed, crushed and mangled. You should've seen my face when I saw images of the aftermath of the Chinese earthquake :p
Don't tell me I'm the only one. I know at least fen will appreciate the simple pleasures of that too, so I know I'm completely normal.

Isn't there meant to be a Metal Gear movie in the works too?

if some of the people on revora died like me i bet you'd have a fucking ball laughing so hard.. ^_^

anyways, holy shit.. Brats and barbie doll movies, now this? i think Hollywoods average IQ just went down by about, eh 45?

I mean, its a LIFE simulator! how the hell can you make a movie out of a LIFE simulator? were they drunk while thinking up the idea?

#49 Paladin58

Paladin58

I lurk moar...

• Project Team
  • 2,384 posts
  •  Drifting Gun-Toting Liberal, Forum Lurker

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:43 AM

I have two things to say: Yes, they can make a movie out of this, but it'll likely suck. It'll probably be like that movie where Will Farrell plays that mild-mannered guy whose life is being written about in a book, and the author keeps trying to kill him off, which subsequently happens and fails IRL because the book's writing dictates his life.

Anyway, I'm thinking this. A Sim Family is sitting down at the table, eating their dinner, when all of a sudden, the door disappears. They start to freak out, when the Father has a little green control gem pop over his head. He constructs a fireplace out of materials that warp into the room, and the place burns down several days later, ending their miserable little lives. Down the street, the same thing happens, except instead of a fireplace, they are given everything but toilets. Then, the doors from the entire house disappear, so they can't take craps or run away. They all die of third-world illnesses a week later.

OLD SIG
When history witnesses a great change Razgriz reveals itself,
first as a dark demon. As a demon it uses it power to rain death upon the land,
and then it dies. However after a period of slumber Razgriz returns
As the demon sleeps, man turns on man.
Its own blood, and madness soon cover the earth.
From the depths of despair awaken the Razgriz.
Its raven wings ablaze in majestic light.
Amidst the eternal waves of time
From a ripple of change shall the storm rise
Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
The demon soars through the dark skies
Fear and Death trail its shadow beneath
Until Men united wield a hallowed sabre
In Final Reckoning, the beast is slain.
Razgriz intrerpretation

Posted Image <-This stays up there for you, buddy!

#50 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:46 AM

If thats the case, then it will WITHOUT A DOUBT suck.

Edited by General Jenkins, 23 June 2008 - 06:46 AM.

#51 Folca the Hunter

Folca the Hunter
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:20 AM

LOL. Oh my god, this could be the greatest thing ever. In the same way that a THIRTY CAR PILE UP is awesome.

I love seeing massive car pile-ups on the news. The more bodies the better. It doesn't have to be a car pile-up though. Just any major incident where people are killed, crushed and mangled. You should've seen my face when I saw images of the aftermath of the Chinese earthquake :p
Don't tell me I'm the only one. I know at least fen will appreciate the simple pleasures of that too, so I know I'm completely normal.

Isn't there meant to be a Metal Gear movie in the works too?

if some of the people on revora died like me i bet you'd have a fucking ball laughing so hard.. ^_^

anyways, holy shit.. Brats and barbie doll movies, now this? i think Hollywoods average IQ just went down by about, eh 45?

I mean, its a LIFE simulator! how the hell can you make a movie out of a LIFE simulator? were they drunk while thinking up the idea?

Either Drinking or High on something, the way the world is now. All that the Sims movie is gonna turn out to be is a really big soap opera that will likely fail miserably at the box office. Not only does it have a stupid theme, and complete lack of a storyline, but, like i said in my rant a few comments back, the directors cut corners. I wouldn't at all be surprised if this movie is rated R because of high sex content.

#52 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:21 AM

Well, I don't know...

No fuel left for the pilgrims