#1 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:02 PM

Hi People,

I have a small question about Unreal-development (UT2004 to be precise). In a school project we're working with 40 people on creating a game, and I'm the lead of the Level Design team.

In one of our levels, we have some issues with terrain. Our heightmap and layer textures for it (the gray stuff, not the texture you stick on the terrain) are stored in a seperate package (called Level2.utx) because we're not allowed to use myLevel (I'm not sure if this restriction applies to heightmaps and that stuff as well, but my classmates don't want to take the risk).

Anyway, the problem is that when you open the map in the editor, without first importing Level2.utx, there's no terrain, or at least none visible.

What could be wrong here? We're using the same approach in another map, where the package is level1.utx, but can a capital letter really make the difference?

ps. any opinions on the myLevel restriction? IMO something as level-linked as heightmaps could definitely go there
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#2 Darknet

Darknet
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:08 PM

What could be wrong here? We're using the same approach in another map, where the package is level1.utx, but can a capital letter really make the difference?

The words are case sensitive and you have to name it correctly.
JP - Darknet

#3 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

Yes of course, I know that, and it is. :thumbsupsmiley: The reference is to Level2, not level2. It also works fine if you import the package first, then load the map.
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#4 Darknet

Darknet
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:32 AM

If your trying to use the another map terrain you need to add terrain and make some changes in the properties. You have to look into the terrain editor and the terrain properties. There a video about I think and there tutorial one the website. 3D buzz I think have the terrain editor video lesson about it. I haven’t work on but I know that you can use the same terrain from the other map.
JP - Darknet

#5 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:52 AM

I'm not taking the terrain from another map, just storing the terrain info in a package, as opposed to in myLevel.

#6 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:21 AM

You should ideally be fine to store it in a package, so it's unusual you'd be getting this error. However, it's usual to hold something map-specific such as a heightmap in your myLevel package. I'm not sure what the apparent issue is with myLevel?

#7 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:23 AM

I'm not sure what the apparent issue is with myLevel?

I'm neither. In fact, I'll forward this topic to my teacher.

#8 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:21 PM

Well we put it all in myLevel now, and that works, so problem solved, I guess :thumbsupsmiley:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users