Photo

Is there always a fixed amount of energy?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Black Temple Gaurdian

Black Temple Gaurdian

dead and back again

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  Fallen Dragon

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:55 PM

Because apparently energy can not be created or destroyed only converted into different types. But if something is high up it has gravitational potential energy because gravity is acting on it. If you convert that gravitational potential energy into electricity the object will still have gravity affecting it and thus will still have gravitational potential energy, ergo unlimited power.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

according to our determinedly dopey Prime Minister Mr Brown, Obama also has a beach in Normandy named after him. If that can't win you an election, what can?

#2 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:04 PM

How exactly are you going to just magically convert potential energy into electricity?

Oh, and if conservation of energy is true, then converting the potential energy into electricity, while retaining the potential energy would obviously require creating new energy, which you've said is impossible.
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#3 Black Temple Gaurdian

Black Temple Gaurdian

dead and back again

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  Fallen Dragon

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:37 PM

yes but what I'm saying is that the potential energy would automatically be replaced because gravity is still acting upon it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

according to our determinedly dopey Prime Minister Mr Brown, Obama also has a beach in Normandy named after him. If that can't win you an election, what can?

#4 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:38 PM

But if the potential energy is still there, where did the electrical energy come from?
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

#5 Black Temple Gaurdian

Black Temple Gaurdian

dead and back again

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  Fallen Dragon

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:12 AM

Ok I'll try to make you see what I'm saying:

1) High object with potential energy
2) Potential energy converted to electricity
3) High object with no potential energy
4) Gravity acts upon object so object now has potential energy

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 CodeCat

CodeCat

Half fox, half cat, and all insanity!

• Members
  • 3,768 posts
  •  Fighting for equality of all species

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:59 PM

And how exactly are you going to convert potential energy into electricity without making the object lose potential energy?
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

get portal gun, make some giant tube with water flowing through a generator at the bottom, profit.... or would it ultimately cause the destabilization of the earth's trajectory because we are stealing energy from its gravity?

anyway, trying to bring back low-value energy to a more useful medium is, as far as we know, just waste of high-value energy. We can turn lead into gold, but it's not worth it ^_^

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#8 CodeCat

CodeCat

• Members
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:36 PM

get portal gun, make some giant tube with water flowing through a generator at the bottom, profit.... or would it ultimately cause the destabilization of the earth's trajectory because we are stealing energy from its gravity?

You know, I had thought of that before. If you put two portals above each other, you'd get a wind tunnel. But eventually the continuous force acting on earth from the air particles would cause it to be lodged from orbit.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Black Temple Gaurdian

Black Temple Gaurdian

dead and back again

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  Fallen Dragon

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:57 AM

what I'm saying is that the object does lose potential energy. However, potential energy is created because gravity is acting on something and gravity would still be acting on the object thus the object gains potential energy.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:22 PM

Potential energy is something of a misnomer to confuse GCSE-level physics students. Something with potential energy doesn't actually have energy at all - the idea is that if an object with gravitational energy were allowed to fall, it would have n Joules of kinetic energy (where n is the number of Joules it would have). It's a hypothetical energy based on the object's mass and the distance it has to fall before it hits the centre of the world. It's basically Isaac Newton's swapfile. Until the object falls, it has no energy whatsoever. If/when it does fall, the idea is that it would fall with nJ of energy.

The energy that would be gained from the falling object would inevitably be being used to push the object back up, thus keeping it in a state of permanent equilibrium and producing no excess.

It is true that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but no conversion of energy into one form or another is 100% efficient. Even if your hypothetical infinite-energy solution were even possible, it would fail because so much of its energy would be lost in a) keeping it suspended and b) as heat or sound or whatever.

Edited by Ash, 28 May 2008 - 04:22 PM.

#11 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:25 PM

Ok I'll try to make you see what I'm saying:

1) High object with potential energy
2) Potential energy converted to electricity
3) High object with no potential energy
4) Gravity acts upon object so object now has potential energy

I know exactly what you're saying, I was trying to get you to see how what you were saying was wrong based on what you yourself said. It didn't work, and there is a much better explanation of potential energy now than I was willing to waste time typing up.
Posted Image

#12 CodeCat

CodeCat

• Members
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:27 AM

To add on to that though: Potential energy is still energy, because if it were not the conservation of energy would be violated. But think of this situation:

You are holding a box as you climb a mountain. As you climb higher, the potential energy of the box inside the gradient of gravity increases. Where does that energy come from? From the work you performed on the box as you lift it higher. Eventually, you've reached a certain height. Now if you dropped the box and let it fall down again, the work you performed will be turned into kinetic energy by earth's gravity. As the box falls, most of its kinetic energy will be turned into heat. And when the box hits the ground, the energy will be transferred to the Earth as well as more heat.

What if there's no gravity? You need a force to be able to perform work. And when you lift the box, you exert a force to counter gravity. Without gravity, you need no force to lift the box and therefore perform no work while it is moved to the top of the mountain.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Hecthor Doomhammer

Hecthor Doomhammer

Live Streamer

• Project Team
  • 1,282 posts
  • Projects:Livestreams
  •  C&C mods Livestreamer

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:02 PM

Energy is eternal and shall always be.
There is no limit to energy nor to the power it can create

Streamer of Rise of the Reds, Mental Omega and other mods

xqbQD6S.jpg

#14 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:27 PM

Yeah, don't revive a long dead topic unless you actually have something useful to say.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#15 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:34 PM

Posted Image

Oh teh noes! Itz teh necromancerz!

#16 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:53 PM

Necromancers convert N16 into energy. Cheaters!

(Since we're back on course) Sure, the Universe has a fixed amount of energy. Suns and planets are just collections of atoms that floated through space that met up and can live in a symbiotic sphere of matter. Well... most planets. Some skipped a thousand steps and just broke off of other planets and formed their own. Until we prove that theory wrong, we scientists will still be saying it.

Where did the atoms come from?

Don't you dare say the Butterfly Effect! More plausible than the Big Bang, but still...

There... elaborated. Topic dead again.

Edited by {IP}Pasidon, 10 November 2009 - 11:54 PM.

#17 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:42 AM

I got a momentary chuckle when i first saw this post and ash was the latest posted. Just the fact that someone necro'd this thread and then someone from the undead user group made a post.

Atoms were created when the universe settle down enough so that they didn't get destroyed the instant they were created. They were being created even before then but the forces just ripped them apart straight away.

or something like that.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:22 AM

I got a momentary chuckle when i first saw this post and ash was the latest posted. Just the fact that someone necro'd this thread and then someone from the undead user group made a post.

LOL. That's the beginnings of a standing joke, right there! I'll keep it in mind for future necroposters.

#19 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:15 PM

If you could generate energy from links to TVTropes, Ash would be powering this country.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#20 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:52 PM

This sounds like a job for science!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users