Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:14 PM

Robert Mugabe today accused of Britain of having "mobilised its friends and allies in Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand to impose illegal economic sanctions against Zimbabwe. All this has been done to cripple Zimbabwe’s economy and thereby effect illegal regime change in our country."

I laughed long and hard at this. Apparently we, the Western world, are trying to bring down Mugabe by starving him out in a kind of modern-day siege attempt. Bollocks we are. All that Britain has done is refuse to trade with and send aid to Zimbabwe until a corrupt and illegal regime is brought down, and has encouraged others to do the same. That this may or may not precipitate a revolution within Zimbabwe is a side effect, but there is no proof of any kind that it may be deliberate. All it does it put the onus on Mugabe to find a solution and save his country, even if that means stepping down and letting someone competent who actually cares about keeping the population alive take over.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#2 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:05 PM

Hahaha. Robert Mugabe is a delusional dictator. You know I read in the newspaper today (The Times) that he is giving his people an ultimatum: democracy or food. If they want relief aid and food they have to hand in their National Insurance Cards until the election ends, so the Democratic Movement don't get many votes. Mugabe's regime is both trying to eliminate the democratic party, stay in power for longer and try to (emphasis on try) seem caring towards the people by being the only one allowed to distribute food aid.

#3 Soul

Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 3,781 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion
  •  This person isn't important

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

I'm surprised no one has even tried to kill him yet.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Soul 2.4

Background process. Has something to do with some activity going on somewhere. Sorting junkmail, I think. No value or interest. Doesn't do much except hog resource.

#4 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts
  • Projects:The Ziggurat generally, Apocalypse in particular.
  •  Refuses to be beaten by Vortigern.

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:52 PM

I'm surprised that no other country has had the balls to stand up to him until now. It's about god-damn time somebody embargoed him. Should be the UN really, but we're a good start.
Actually, I'm also surprised that it was us that are the first to do so. Pleasantly surprised, but still. I wouldn't have thought Gordon Brown had the stones for a stunt like this. The one and only time I have said it: good for him.
And I call myself a patriot :mellow:
Of course I don't look busy; I did it right the first time.
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
FZM and Vort don't do tag wrestling...but if they did, they'd probably be the worst tag-wrestlers in the world.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#5 Paladin58

Paladin58

I lurk moar...

• Project Team
  • 2,384 posts
  •  Drifting Gun-Toting Liberal, Forum Lurker

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:10 AM

Too bad all we care about is oil anymore, because this would have been a good time to roll our tanks into an unsuspecting dictator's country. Damn you Bush... Why did we have to go into Iraq?

OLD SIG
When history witnesses a great change Razgriz reveals itself,
first as a dark demon. As a demon it uses it power to rain death upon the land,
and then it dies. However after a period of slumber Razgriz returns
As the demon sleeps, man turns on man.
Its own blood, and madness soon cover the earth.
From the depths of despair awaken the Razgriz.
Its raven wings ablaze in majestic light.
Amidst the eternal waves of time
From a ripple of change shall the storm rise
Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
The demon soars through the dark skies
Fear and Death trail its shadow beneath
Until Men united wield a hallowed sabre
In Final Reckoning, the beast is slain.
Razgriz intrerpretation

Posted Image <-This stays up there for you, buddy!

#6 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:35 PM

No country deliberately starts a war for the common good. It's always a matter of profit, power or survival...

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#7 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:34 PM

Which is why there should be someone more dynamic in power. Like me, for instance. :unsure: I'd be quite happy to declare war on him on moral grounds, which would no doubt win me a great deal of support among the public, were I to sell it properly to them. I think, to be honest, the policy with Mugabe is more or less 'Wait until he dies then we'll do something'. Which almightily sucks.

Who here would vote for me? :xcahik_:
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#8 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Lurking
  •  I'm a physician now. Scary, right?

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:51 AM

To think that Mugabe originally started as a people's politician. He eventually went nuts with power and got very paranoid, thinking that everyone was out to kill him (which, in the cases of many African leaders, including himself, was true [not literally speaking, just the stereotypical bad guys in each country <the militias resembling al-Qaeda in many things save ideology>]). How he solved it, on the other hand, was much less admirable than his intentions. One word........ Genocide.

Edited by Crazy Intellectual Liberal, 14 June 2008 - 07:53 AM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#9 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:15 PM

I'm not really surprised mr. Bush hasn't declared war on him yet. After all, why would he? There's nothing to gain in Zimbabwe, but if there'd be oil in the country, I'm sure he'd have used Mugabe as an excuse for war.

On the other hand, how hard'd it be to kill him? Just hire someone to shoot him, and there'd be no point of evidence towards to US or anything. After all, most of the world wants him dead. Because on moral grounds, he surely deserves to die.

Just my thoughts.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#10 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:37 PM

Atleast, at maximum he can reign for another 13 years

#11 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:08 PM

13 years? That's a strange figure to pull out of a hat like that.... I would have thought maybe 3 years at most before Zimbabwe runs out of food and he's either killed by angry rioters or kills them all and has nobody left to rule.

#12 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:59 PM

Sorry I meant 16. He longs to reign till he's 100, that's why.

#13 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:10 PM

To think that Mugabe originally started as a people's politician. He eventually went nuts with power and got very paranoid, thinking that everyone was out to kill him (which, in the cases of many African leaders, including himself, was true [not literally speaking, just the stereotypical bad guys in each country <the militias resembling al-Qaeda in many things save ideology>]). How he solved it, on the other hand, was much less admirable than his intentions. One word........ Genocide.

Your making him sound like a mix of Hitler and Stalin.

#14 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:42 PM

Yeah, Mugabe is Swahili for 'Hitler-Stalin', or 'Hitlin'. :xcahik_:

Then again, I actually agree with CIL on this one, I think Mugabe is one of the most despicable men on the face of the planet. Of course, I am not familiar with the dregs of society across the world, but as a public figure, he needs to be stopped, removed and disposed of. He is simply a glorified pest, and we need a gigantic can of pesticide to spray him with. Or drop on his head, which may work a bit better....

#15 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:07 PM

While he does steal every election and has destroyed Zimbabwe, assassinating him isn't the solution. If the Hague issues a warrant for his arrest for war crimes, then the United Nations should prosecute it with a multinational force. The British would sign on as would the French, and the United States needs good PR. Sending in an operative to blow his head off just isn't acceptable. It would result in a destabilized country that would probably fall into civil war. Seizing him and putting Tsavangirai in charge wouldn't be a bad idea though.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#16 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:35 PM

If Tsvangari wants to, as he stepped down. He encourages people to vote for Mugabe to make life better for themselves, and avoid persecution.

#17 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:59 AM

Only because he has no choice if he wishes to stay alive. Mugabe is a dictator with no apparent limits to his power within Zimbabwe. Morgan Tsvangirai says to vote for Mugabe because if you don't your family will be butchered and your livelihood ripped to shreds. The only reason Tsvangirai himself has remained alive this long is because he became an publid figure and known across the world. His murder would obviously implicate Mugabe and give the UN the final prompt it may need to send a peacekeeping force to Zimbabwe and arrest Mugabe.

True, assassinating him is not the solution. It most likely would result in something even worse than Mugabe. But there's always a chance, isn't there? If Mugabe dies anyway, which is extremely likely, given that he's currently 84 years old, would Tsvangirai step into the breach, or would the military seize control and demand to put their generals in command?

#18 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:26 PM

Probably a coup d'état by the military.
But I read in the Daily Telegraph today that Tsvangarai and Mugabe have some kind of alliance now, and Mugabe wants himself to become President of some "national initiative" and have Tsvangarai and his "friends", as Mugabe put it, in the cabinet. It won't work.

#19 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:45 PM

South Africa has intervened, and forced Mugabe and Tsvangirai to sit down together and have a long talk without shooting each other. Mugabe has agreed to power-share, but to what extent is as yet ineffable. I find it likely that Tsvangirai will soon resign or meet an untimely end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users