McCain's Blunders - Week 1

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:22 PM

So, now we're going to start a new segment on the unmitigated idiocy of John McCain. It's very simple; John McCain, under no circumstances, should become President of the United States. Why? Isn't it evident? The man says we should stay in Iraq for 1,000 years, but Army leaders acknowledge that the US Army is at its breaking point, and is unable to undertake another mission in defence of the United States; he claims that Americans are no longer dying in Iraq, but three American soldiers were just killed the other day by Iraqi insurgents; he pulls out rhetoric about corporate tax breaks, one of the Bush administration's greatest contributions to the current financial situation, claiming they will help Americans, but corporate handouts and pandering will not help the average American in any way.
John McCain is not only a shouting lunatic who at one point advocated bombing Iran, but he is a corrupt powermonger who is deep in the pockets of lobbyists.
So, without further ado, Week 1.

What's wrong with John McCain?

1. Oratory skills
I didn't think it was possible to find a worse orator than George Bush, who can usually be likened to a fevered monkey guarding a stash of bananas. However, John McCain, on the eve of Barack Obama's victory, decided he would go head to head with the presumptive Democratic nominee, and delivered a quite "moving" speech. In front of a pea-green background, giving his skin a lovely "zombie-green" tone, he proceeded to "smile" much like a child molester, and gave one of the most substanceless speeches during, not just this race, but this decade. McCain began to list Obama's policies, stating without much emphasis, "That's not change we can believe in," after each one. No explanation, no substance, just... uninspiring, unemphatic rhetoric.

Posted Image An inspiring man, straight from "The Bride of Chucky"

At the exact same time McCain was rallying his seven or eight supporters (Who you can hear distinctly as being a very small crowd), Obama drove a packed arena in St. Paul wild, the very same arena that will be used for the Republican National Convention.
Is anyone else predicting the end of days for the Republican Party?
Youtube link:
And if you watch the video, it even leaves Fox News, the conservative propaganda machine, completely fucking speechless. Completely unbelievable.

2. Not only domestic corruption, but OFFSHORE corruption
Two weeks ago, MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24844889) reported that Phil Gramm, McCain's national campaign co-chair and presumptive Secretary of the Treasury, "was being paid by a Swiss bank to lobby Congress about the U.S. mortgage crisis at the same time he was advising McCain about his economic policy."
The New York Times, however, has more.

Under pressure from the authorities, UBS is considering whether to divulge the names of up to 20,000 of its well-heeled American clients, according to people close to the inquiry, a step that would have once been unthinkable to Swiss bankers, whose traditions of secrecy date to the Middle Ages.

Federal investigators believe some of the clients may have used offshore accounts at UBS to hide as much as $20 billion in assets from the Internal Revenue Service. Doing so may have enabled these people to dodge at least $300 million in federal taxes on income from those assets, according to a government official connected with the investigation.

(snip)

The case could turn into an embarrassment for Marcel Rohner, the chief executive of UBS and the former head of its private bank, as well as for Phil Gramm, the former Republican senator from Texas who is now the vice chairman of UBS Securities, the Swiss bank's investment banking arm. It also comes at a difficult time for UBS, which is reeling from $37 billion in bad investments, many of them linked to risky American mortgages.

So basically, the people lobbying McCain are trying to use him as an accessory in mass tax fraud which cost the US government $300 million in revenue. And the person who's lobbying for them is a part owner and just happens to be the guy McCain wants as treasury secretary.

There's more from Newsweek:

McCain's campaign is already distancing itself from some of Gramm's other work for UBS: his involvement in attempts to sell financial products known as "death bonds," which BusinessWeek described last summer as one of "the most macabre investment scheme(s) ever devised by Wall Street." Not long after joining UBS, the Houston Chronicle reported, Gramm helped lobby Texas officials, including Gov. Rick Perry, to sign on to a UBS proposal in which revenue would be generated for a state teachers' retirement fund by selling bonds, whose proceeds would in turn be used to buy annuities and life-insurance policies on retired teachers. UBS would advance money to the retirement fund, then repay itself, compensate bondholders and pocket profits when insurance companies paid off on retirees who died. According to a banking-industry source, who asked for anonymity when discussing a sensitive matter, Gramm was involved in efforts to pitch similar UBS products to other financial institutions.

Gramm's office declined NEWSWEEK's request for comment.

So, more corruption.
And John McCain says he doesn't have any lobbyists on his staff...

Unfortunately, that's about it for last week, next post should come on Sunday.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#2 Soul

Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 3,781 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion
  •  This person isn't important

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:12 PM

Holy shit, that guy is completely nuts O_O.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Soul 2.4

Background process. Has something to do with some activity going on somewhere. Sorting junkmail, I think. No value or interest. Doesn't do much except hog resource.

#3 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:43 PM

I'd say more of a political hack who is very happy taking money, hiring lobbyists, and... yeah is completely insane.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#4 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Lurking
  •  I'm a physician now. Scary, right?

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:11 AM

Here's proof that McCain has bad oratory skills. He said that he will veto all beer with earmarks earlier today.
I'm creeping, not gone.

#5 Cossack

Cossack

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:13 AM

46 is plenty old enough. The United States has been run by grumpy old men for the past few decades and look where it has gotten them. The US needs some fresh blood...I know it sounds clichéd, but McCain is really just more of the same politics that I believe americans should be sick of by now.

Speaking of McCaine blunders, remember when he confused shia and sunni and his trip to Iraq, and when he essentially admitted that he authorized American citizens to be killed in the middle east all for oil? I really don't know why the latter didn't make bigger news.

Its too bad he has been labelled a "maverick" by the media, because if people looked at his actual policies they would see that they are George Bush Conservative to the bone, and wouldn't even think about electing him.

I get goose-bumps when I hear Obama speak....when I see McCain speak it just creeps me out...he always talks with such a false sense of sincerity and empathy (how many times have you heard this man say "my friends"), and that smile...ugh...that horrible smile scares the shit outta me!

Edited by Cossack, 11 June 2008 - 03:14 AM.

#6 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:17 AM

Cossack, you are completely correct. He is pro-life, anti-stem cell research, and he cannot stand the fact that gay people exist. I don't exactly LIKE gays but they have as much a right to exist as I do.
Also, I know that feeling about Obama's speeches. Besides, was Kennedy any older? No, he was younger. I don't think there is any person in Revora (well, maybe those in the far-right conservative forum) that can say Kennedy was a bad president. And... McCain gives me the creeps. He will probably die in office.

Edited by Crazy Intellectual Liberal, 11 June 2008 - 03:20 AM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#7 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:12 AM

McCain does not seem to move me when he speaks. He was never known as a great speech giver. I'm not really here to elect a great speech giver, I'm here to elect the most qualified person for President of the USA. I'm glad Clinton is out of it and I have nothing personal against Obama except his lack of substance on solutions he's gonna give the US.

I've listened to many of his speechs and he's a great speaker. But he doesn't have much of a moderate track record. Everything is very liberal. This may isolate him from moderates and people from the right. He's had his fair share of silly statements as well like invading Pakistan.

Obamas lack of foriegn relations experience and lack of executive experience leads me to believe he'll only lead as well as the people he chooses to advice him. No different than Bush in that aspect (at least Bush had executive experience as a govenor)

McCain is not the conservative choice, many (on the right) view him as too liberal. But here it is and this is how it goes. I'm more comfortable with a mixed Congress and President. One democrat one republican. When they both are of the same party, silly things happen.

America has to ask itself, do we want a democratic controled congress with an ultra liberal President? See what happened with a republican Congress and a conservative President. I'm for balance. Alittle of both so nothing moves too far or too fast in any one direction.

At least Clintons mandatory "coverall" national health care system of "pay or go to jail" is no longer in the picture. Obama at least limited it to giving the option of using the government health care system of which no one in thier right mind would choose unless they have no other option.

#8 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:19 AM

I admit, it's not about who's the best speech-giver, but whose policies will benefit each voter. At least, that's how it is in theory.

However, in practice, anyone naive enough to believe a government official will actually deliver on what he promises deserves to get screwed over. It's why I hardly bother to find out what their policies are, because 1) in the majority of cases, they'll all be the same, swayed by public opinion and obvious necessity, and 2) they won't deliver on them anyway, even remotely. Even if they seem to be delivering, they will inevitably take away with the other hand.

McCain, Obama, Clinton. Whoever gets in, fuck all will change. Therefore you might as well vote for the one with the most charisma. In which case, Obama has it. He at least sounds convincing, unlike this ninny. And Obama's youth has an appeal of its own in that young people are usually more open to the idea of change compared to the old fuddy-duddies who usually make it into positions of political authority. Of the three liars available to you, he is therefore the most convincing, yet no less a liar. What little does change will be for the worse. Just as it will once we elect a new Prime Minister.

#9 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:33 AM

What makes a social conservative qualified to run the U.S.? The fact that he will throw in a bunch of religion into stuff like the pledge ("Under God" wasn't added until Eisenhower, if I remember right), and make it so that women, even rape victims, can't get abortions? Also, McCain is so out of touch with the American public that he not only doesn't care about how long we stay in Iraq, he thinks the American public won't care if we stay there for another 10, 100, or even 1000 years. I'd get you a quote, but I'm too lazy to.
My conclusion is that McCain doesn't give moving speeches, looks like he's seen everything from the Crusades up to modern Iraq, has horrid social policies that would be worse than our current ones, and is incredibally out of touch with the American public. Wow, he sure does deserve to be president.
P.S. I respect what he did in 'Nam, just not his politics

Edited by Crazy Intellectual Liberal, 13 June 2008 - 08:37 AM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#10 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

McCain would be the worst thing to happen to the world since Bush's reign as President. Wait, that's still happening... Oh, right, America has a death-wish.

Also, why does everyone insist that Obama is young and open to change? He's 46 years old, for fuck's sake! That's not young, that's late middle age. I know that the constitution requires the President to be over 35 years of age, but 46 still isn't young. It's just younger than McCain. I am 18: I would be a young President, Obama would not. Most of the middle aged men I know are pretty set in their ways.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#11 Soul

Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 3,781 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion
  •  This person isn't important

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

Posted Image

If you don`t get it, try reading the words said in it.

Edited by Soul, 13 June 2008 - 06:44 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Soul 2.4

Background process. Has something to do with some activity going on somewhere. Sorting junkmail, I think. No value or interest. Doesn't do much except hog resource.

#12 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:32 AM

Obama would still be the 2nd youngest president elected into office. We've had a lot of ancient people. I don't think that many of them think straight (Reagan, anyone?).

Edited by Crazy Intellectual Liberal, 15 June 2008 - 06:33 AM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users