Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:00 PM

Mac lowered Icarus tenderly to the ground, in an almost perfect parking motion. The one flaw was the slight scraping sound that came from the rear end of the ship. Wolff looked sternly at him.

"What? You know I'm not so hot on parking."

"Whatever. We're here now, and about time. Do you want to come with me?" Mac shook his head.

"I'm going to stay here and talk techie with our new engineer. He seems to have a few ideas about improving Icarus's flight and efficiency." Wolff nodded and left the cockpit, with a quick wave goodbye.

In the kitchen Wolff called everyone around to listen. "We're here now, lads. We have arrived on Hermes and I'm off to find our new employer. Which of you wants to come with me?" Chez the all-rounder (and a half-decent cook too, it seemed), Dan the demo-man and Ryan Thomas, the alcoholic gunslinger, all gave their assent.

"Ye'll be needin' me there, Cap'n," said Thomas. "I've worked with these fellers before, I know me way about dealin's with 'em." Wolff frowned, but decided caution was the better part of valour. Over the last few days he had taken a liking to the solitary straggler; maybe they shared similar horrors in the past, maybe it was their natural morbid inclination, or maybe something else, but they had gotten along well.

"Let's move on out, then. Oh, and Titus, Mac wanted to talk to you about techie stuff." Titus nodded and smiled, obviously pleased by the thought of engineering chat. "Later, everyone."

"Mr Henson will see you now, Captain Wolff," said the secretary. "Alone."

"No can do, little lady," replied Wolff. "We all go in or none of us go in. That's how a crew works." The secretary raised an eyebrow, possibly at the audacity of anyone to question the word of her boss, one of the most powerful men in the outer systems. She spoke into the old-style telephone, designed no doubt to give privacy to the speakers. Eventually she put the receiver down.

"Mr Henson will see all of you, then. But he said to warn you, he has a great many armed men in this facility, and your ship is under surveillance, so don't try anything."

"Hadn't even crossed my mind," lied Wolff, straight-faced. He stood up, and signalled his new men to follow him. They passed through a large oaken door into a wood-panelled corridor. There was only one other door, at the far end. Wolff surreptitiously glanced around, and could see at least six tiny cameras monitoring the hall, doubtless to give Henson a preview of those coming to see him. Wolff strode through the door, swinging it wide open in front of him.

"May I sit down?" he said. The man behind the desk laughed. He was short, and balding, and looked half-starved. Overworked, probably, thought Wolff. He didn't wait for an answer and pulled up a chair. "What's the job, then, Mr Henson?"

"What makes you think I want to offer you a job, Captain Wolff?"

"If'n ye didn', you wouldn' have let us come this far," put in Thomas. Henson looked up, and a look of comprehension suddenly dawned on his face.

"I remember you," he said slowly. "The drunken lout who wrecked the first cruiser hi-jack for me." Thomas stared at him, giving away nothing. Wolff swivelled in his chair to look at Thomas, his curiosity piqued.

"Tha' was a long time ago. An' we both know it was luck more 'an judgment that brought tha' relief squad while we were there."

"Captain Wolff, I would warn you to be wary of this man."

"I'll be the judge of my own crew, Mr Henson. I repeat my question, what's the job?" Tyler Henson leaned back, steepling his fingers. He took a deep breath, apparently unsure where to begin.

"About four weeks ago a precious cargo of mine was waylaid by pirates I believe to be in the employ of the Areans. I want it back."

"And how do you propose we go about getting our hands on it?"

"I know where they are. I have eyes everywhere, Captain. I can give you their exact location. Your job will be to break into their refuge, retrieve my cargo and, with luck, see them all dead or imprisoned."

"Where are they hiding, then?"

"Jackdaw, on Prometheus." All the cities on Prometheus were named after birds, possibly out of respect to the other main character in the legend of fire. Wolff's jaw almost dropped.

"Let me get this straight. You want us, a crew of itinerant pirates, to land unnoticed on one of the core worlds, break into what may or may not be a secure facility, steal from the inhabitants, kill them all and make a clean getaway?" Henson simply nodded once. "Bearing in mind that we are currently wanted by the Confederacy for the carriage of illicit goods?"

"Let me make my position clear to you, Captain Wolff," began Henson. "As I see it, you have a hold full of tainted goods that you cannot sell to anyone but me. I will take them off your hands for a reasonable price, and will reward you handsomely if you return with my cargo fully intact. Otherwise, I doubt you even have enough fuel aboard your ship to break out of our atmosphere, let alone into warp again." Wolff did not lower his gaze, though he knew Henson was absolutely right, even about the fuel.

"We'll do it," said Thomas, abruptly. Wolff turned to look at him again, confusion and anger mixing on his face. "We ha'n't really got a choice, Cap'n," he added. Wolff rolled his eyes, and sighed.

"True. Alright, Mr Henson. Do you have a deadline for this?"

"As soon as possible. That is all I ask. I'll send people down to clear out your hold, Captain." Henson extended his hand, and Wolff gripped it in the spacer's hand-clasp. The deal was as good as signed on paper now. "Four thousand dollars for the lot is fair, I think." Wolff nodded. It was more than he had expected from the man, and would comfortably see them fed and fuelled for the next few months. "And I will have the necessary files transferred to your ship's hard drive so you can arrive in the right place.

"Good day to you, Captain Wolff and crew." They left the room.

Mac straightened up, clicking his back into place again and wincing as he heard the others come back aboard Icarus. He and Titus had laboured over the engines for the past two hours, with the mad scientist fellow standing by and providing idle commentary as he did so.

"That should get him running nice and smooth, Mac. Try not to bump him on landing any more, I don't think he likes it." Titus smiled, and Mac grinned widely back. His boyish smile was one of his favourite features about himself. Wolff came striding down into the engine room.

"Up and out, Mac, we've got places to be. Set a course for Prometheus."
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#2 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts
  • Projects:The Ziggurat generally, Apocalypse in particular.
  •  Refuses to be beaten by Vortigern.

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:06 PM

Max settled down in his favourite swivelling chair once again.
"So. Prometheus is it?"
Wolff grimaced. "Looks like. We haven't got a lot of choice, really."
Max grunted his assent and flicked the take-off switches. "Brace yourselves lads," he muttered over the tannoy, strapping in. "What's the job then?"
As Wolff filled him in, Mac's expression changed from foreboding to grim.
"I see," he said, "full on job then...Still, at least I'll get to do some urban flying. Haven't done any building-dodging for ages." Mac brightened at this prospect, and returned to his usual self.
Soon the Icarus had reached beyond the stratosphere and entered warp. Max nodded appreciatively, and commented to Wolff, "Y'know, Titus was right about the dampeners. I haven't felt the old boy warp like this since we first got him. Good find, cap."
Of course I don't look busy; I did it right the first time.
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
FZM and Vort don't do tag wrestling...but if they did, they'd probably be the worst tag-wrestlers in the world.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#3 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:31 AM

Chez hadn't really said much, but now he decided to voice his complaint
"This is crazy! if you are wanted by confederacy, you don't go to a core world! even i know that, i have never been wanted by the confederates..."

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:58 PM

"Yeah, well, the thing about that, Chez, my boy," began Wolff, slowly, thinking how best to explain it, and settling eventually for the truth, "is that we need the money. That's why I've got all you lot aboard, because I knew we were going to be doing risky deeds of derring-do and Mac and myself needed a little help in the hands direction." Chez let out an exasperated sigh, and stalked off towards the kitchen. Wolff turned to Mac.

"He'll get used to it," said the pilot.

"He'd better." Wolff shut the cockpit door, sealing the two of them inside. "Now, Mac. We need a plan."

Four days later, standard time, Icarus came out of warp, a mere four hundred miles above the surface of Prometheus, in a carefully calculated location, away from any Confederate cruisers and swarm vessels. For the moment. They would have to weave and bob and rely on luck a bit if they were to arrive on the planet unnoticed. Or at least undetected by the authorities.

"Does it strike you as slightly ominous that we, the crewmen of Icarus, a boy who died flying too close to the sun, are now flying rather too close for comfort to what was once a volcanic, somewhat sun-like world?" wondered Mac, quietly. Wolff smiled.

"I hope none of this lot are up on their ancient history."
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#5 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:12 AM

Chez had gotten over his initial... i guess annoyance would be the word, but he wasn't angry, just a bit perplexed as to why he had come here. He had joined the crew hoping to get away from danger. Now he was in more of it then ever before.

but after the day was over he had forgotten about it, or pushed to the back of his mind would be a better word. we will cross that bridge when we come to it, he had thought.

well, now they had come to that bridge, and they were crossing it at that second. chez silently prayed they would not get caught...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image

#6 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

Mac guided Icarus down through the atmosphere, privately marvelling at their good fortune at not having been discovered thus far. Clearly Henson's information had been good. He carefully flicked the tail-stand down, and gently set the ship down, resting comfortably and calmly.

"Beautifully parked, though I say so myself," Mac congratulated himself.

"Yes, well done, O mighty and masterful pilot of sixteen years experience," agreed Wolff. "I suppose I'd better go and explain the plan to everyone, then?"

"Now that you've actually thought of one, you mean?"

"Yeah, that." Wolff grinned, half-anxious, half-apologetic, but all amused. "You should probably come too, you can give me a hand if they don't understand what I'm getting at." Wolff strode into the kitchen-cum-common room, and made a quick head count. All present and correct.

"Is it time for action, then?" said Thomas immediately.

"Yep. But first let's get the plan clear. Mr Thomas, Mr Powel, Mr Cooper and I will go in. Chez, Warind, you will stay here with Mac ready to give us a hand should anything get out of control. I don't want either of you leaving the ship unless you absolutely have to." He turned to face the three selected warriors, conveniently sat all on the same side of the table. "We four are going to bust into their stronghold using whatever means possible, sling some guns around and then make off with whatever the hell it is that Henson sent us here for. Mr Powel, bring your explosives with you. Titus, Ryan, whatever guns you've got. We want to seem as threatening as possible."

He looked around the room, gauging reactions. It seemed nobody was averse to their part. Chez seemed downright relieved.

"Let's go."

((Nology, WA and Copa, this is our bit. Feel free to exercise creative license.))

Edited by Vortigern, 17 June 2008 - 11:42 AM.

#7 war_angel

war_angel
  • Members
  • 174 posts
  •  psycotic whirlwind!

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:30 PM

Dan went and quickly grabbed a satchel bag, for easy use of his bangs. He was glad that he was chosen to go on the first job, and he would try to help as much as he could.

"Erm.. would there be any chance of getting a gun?" asked Dan, which was swiftly followed by a pistol smakcing him in the head! "Thanks Wolff," he said clutching his head. He shoved the pistol into his waist band, and quickly mixxed a few more explosives. He now had the homemade equivilant of 4 satchel charges, 5 rather large and unstable grenades, and 4 molotov cocktails, there was also some spare material, which he could utilise if needs be.

"Right im set, whenever you're ready"

Edited by war_angel, 17 June 2008 - 04:31 PM.

BOOM-chik-chik-BOOM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:42 PM

"Righty then, lads, anyone lacking in the firepower department may want to stop by me quarters. I'll leave my spares in the hallway for ye."

Back in his room, he grabbed two of his shotguns, three pistols, and plenty of ammunition for each. A rifle was slung across his back, concealed by a coat and his backpack. He left a shotgun and a rifle out in the hall for the rest of the gun slingers - those were the only spares he had which showed up as legally purchased in the fed's files; he had plenty more illegally gained underneath his bed. After grabbing his trusty steed the combat knife off of his bed, he walked out and locked the door three times over... never enough security on the core worlds.

He walked to the ramp, and met up with the other three vigilantes. "Who's set to light 'er up? I've got calls-ies on first blood!"

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#9 Paladin58

Paladin58

I lurk moar...

• Project Team
  • 2,384 posts
  •  Drifting Gun-Toting Liberal, Forum Lurker

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:39 AM

Lets see here... .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the Outer Worlds. And I've got one shot left. Only question is, do ya feel lucky, punk? thought Titus, seeing himself in a movie-esque gunfight, like the ones his parents had taken him to see as a kid at the cinemas. Not much in the way of video entertainment had changed over the centuries, so he had seen some classics, like Dirty Harry. Of course, the reels were damaged, and didn't show the entire movie, so he only knew the character as 'Dirty Harry', from the title.

"So, we're running a raid, for something of which we don't even know its location and use, for someone we don't trust, against nigh-impossible odds? Sounds like what I signed up for. So," said Titus, whilst spinning the cylinder in a style similar to playing Russian Roulette, "let's do this, so we can get paid." He whipped the cylinder back into place with a clatter, showing that he was ready to go.

"Just remember, Mac. Keep the engines around 1220 degrees cent. This is right below the current 'redline'. I know, telling the pilot things about the ship he's flown long before I've been aboard isn't the best way to get in good graces, but just adjusting the dampers does a lot. Less heat is on the rest of the reactor assembly, letting it get to higher temperatures and pressures than before. Which, also changes the current optimum, minimum and maximum levels for those. I'll start to get into specifics when I get back, just remember to keep that around 1220. Chez can probably help, he seems to be interested in what I do down there."

(OOC: Sorry; serious flooding in my neck of the woods, combined with a not-so-serious injury had sidelined me for a bit, but I'm back. I hope.)

OLD SIG
When history witnesses a great change Razgriz reveals itself,
first as a dark demon. As a demon it uses it power to rain death upon the land,
and then it dies. However after a period of slumber Razgriz returns
As the demon sleeps, man turns on man.
Its own blood, and madness soon cover the earth.
From the depths of despair awaken the Razgriz.
Its raven wings ablaze in majestic light.
Amidst the eternal waves of time
From a ripple of change shall the storm rise
Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
The demon soars through the dark skies
Fear and Death trail its shadow beneath
Until Men united wield a hallowed sabre
In Final Reckoning, the beast is slain.
Razgriz intrerpretation

Posted Image <-This stays up there for you, buddy!

#10 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:29 PM

((OOC: just noticing here, we've got a serious time-gap between the non-combatants' thread and our thread...))

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

#11 Paladin58

Paladin58

I lurk moar...

• Project Team
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:37 PM

(OOC: Yep. Sorta waiting for Vort and WA to get their asses in gear, I guess...)

((FZEDIT: Don't worry, we won't escape at least until you guys have started the mission :p I'll pester Vort about posting when I see him this evening.))

Edited by Fire Ze Missiles!, 19 June 2008 - 06:53 PM.

OLD SIG
Razgriz intrerpretation

#12 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:01 AM

((Sorry it's been so slow, junk, and stuff, and things. They all came up.))

"That's the place, lads," said Wolff, indicating what seemed to be an impregnable ferro-concrete monolith.

"The impregnable-looking ferro-concrete monolith, you mean?" asked Powel. "The one with the big Confederate symbol on the wall?"

"Yeah, that one."

"No problem, just let me get some things together. Where would you like to break in?"

"Anywhere we won't be seen," replied Wolff without a moment's hesitation. He had done this sort of job before, although not quite of this magnitude. Powel fiddled about with a couple of connections in his bag, and then drew out what seemed to be a box.

"All ready." He set it down against a wall in a side alley, next to the right building. Wolff privately marvelled that he seemed to have actually gained a crew with some knowledge of what they were doing. This was a first. The explosion came suddenly, and Wolff was nearly thrown from his feet by the wind. The building had a large hole in the side. Unexpected.

"Let's go do our job, lads," said Wolff, striding into the breach.

((OK, now we're about to run into some rogue traders and go have a shootout with them. Then we'll go and find the right cargo, and plan ahead from there. Be creative :p))

#13 war_angel

war_angel
  • Members
  • 174 posts
  •  psycotic whirlwind!

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:51 PM

Dan strode in after Wolff, he had picked up the spare shotgun form the corridor of the ship. Suddenly a man ran form around a corner, Dan lifted the shotugn and pulled the trigger, click "FUCK" he shouted as Wolff put a bullet into the mans chest, "It's not even fucking loaded," he shouted looking at Thomas, "Thanks for that!"

BOOM-chik-chik-BOOM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:48 PM

"One down," said Wolff, striding ahead, crunching on the face of the man he had just shot as he did so. Thomas made an amused and somewhat irreverent noise. "What? He was going to shoot me." Two more of the rogue traders came running out as he spoke, alarmed by the gunshot. One of them received a rifle shot to the forehead from Thomas, and the other one dived for cover through the door he had entered by. The group could hear him calling for reinforcements.

"How many dyou think he's got?" asked Titus. Wolff shrugged, then grinned.

"Not enough."

((License is now given for a full-scale firefight. Including somebody other than WA. :p))

Edited by Vortigern, 21 June 2008 - 06:49 PM.

#15 Paladin58

Paladin58

I lurk moar...

• Project Team
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:42 AM

(OOC: Awesome. I love firefights. :p )

Titus fired an aimed shot towards the door, seeing the bullet smash into the unopened of the two swinging doors, sending it swinging open into the trader, thinking he was safe from harm.

"OW! Son of a..." yelled the unexpecting man, likely holding his face and suffering from a broken nose at this point.

"Well, that's one way to go with a bang..." chuckled Titus, after sliding behind some cover, ready to return fire if any large-scale volleys headed their way.

OLD SIG
Razgriz intrerpretation

#16 war_angel

war_angel
  • Members
  • 174 posts
  •  psycotic whirlwind!

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:24 PM

"Use cover will we," exclaimed Dan in an amused voice as he pulled one of his nasties form his bag of tricks, he pulled out a make shift frag grenades, which consited of a jam jar, ful of bolts and some plastci explosive. He quickly lit the scarily short fuse and let fly jam jar of doom. It bounced off of the cover the man was behind, and exploded right above his head, taking out two new fighters with it.
"Haha" shouted Dan "I'm just too good"

BOOM-chik-chik-BOOM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:12 AM

Wolff stared at Powel. "What the hell was that?" He took a quick glance over his shoulder, then a longer look. There was nobody there. "OK, let's move in. As fast as we can go. If this cargo's as obvious and valuable as Henson said, they'll have it somewhere more secure than their garage. It's corridor-busting time." Not the best pep talk.... Nor the best cliché I've tried to coin. Wolff shrugged. Whatever, he wasn't getting paid to come up with good phrases.

#18 Paladin58

Paladin58

I lurk moar...

• Project Team
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:16 PM

"Got it, boss. Thomas, you have anything on you that can provide some good suppressive fire? I mean, this magnum, I got it from my Pop back in the day, but she just isn't doing the job," Titus inquired, looking at his piece in a slightly saddened way. Don't worry, killer, you'll still get to hang around...

"Well, I do have this li'l spitter..." muttered Thomas, handing Titus a submachine gun of some sort, with an extra full clip. "She's not half as reliable as some of me other wares, but it'll have to do ya for now, eh?"

(OOC: Please, someone, for the LOVE OF GOD make Thomas sound more Irish and drunken in my post. (That means, Vort, go to town.))

Edited by Vortigern, 23 June 2008 - 04:55 PM.
Tried, but not sure how appropriate you'll think it is...

OLD SIG
Razgriz intrerpretation

#19 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:30 PM

((Taking control here, got a bit of a fitting idea...))

As the team approached a slightly larger hallway which was a bit lax on security, Ryan stopped. "Lads, wha we've got 'ere is a genuine situation where we haven't got to try quite as hard as we need to proceed. Y'see, by now, we've taken out not only the reinforcments they've asked fer, but also we've taken a route not quite expected of a party such as ours. I'd suggest this - put the guns away slightly, and follow my lead from 'ere."

The group did so, and Ryan brought out his flask. As they turned the corner, they met their first new adversary. "Hey! Who are you, and what are you doing here?!" he inquired. Ryan stumbled into him on purpose, put his hand on the guy's shoulder, and let him have a full blast of alcohol breath. "Don mind ush... we're jus takin a bit of a walk round th place lad, sight seein an' what. Ish tha such a bad thing?"

The man raised an eyebrow. "How did you get in?"
"Oh funny you say that lad, we found th back door open an jus walked right in."
"What back door?"
"Thish one..." Ryan took one of his pistols and shot the man in the stomach.

"Works every time."

Continuing on, they ran into slight resistance at a point or two, some realizing that the party was the intruders they were warned about, others thinking they were merely a drunk and his posse. And then they came to the store room... "Playing drunk won't work ere, methinks. Bring out th guns, boy'o." He pulled his two rifles out, and cocked the bolts. "Ere we go."

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

#20 war_angel

war_angel
  • Members
  • 174 posts
  •  psycotic whirlwind!

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

Dan was amazed how this man could act so well drunk, when he was obviously too drunk most of the time, to have any idea how he acted, however it worked, and it wasnt till the got in the store room, that Dan had to pull out a gun. He pulled out his pistol, and quickly checked some of his bangs, he was set to go.

There were quite a few people in this room, and he quickly pulled out another of his beastie grenades, this time an improvised high explosive grenade, it was based in a jam jar, just like the other, but instead of bolts, this thing was just as full as it would go with plastic explosives. He lit the fuse, and held it for a second, screaming "COME AND 'AV A GO, IF YOU THING YOU'RE 'ARD ENOUGH!" the men looked at him confused, obviously not realising what it was in his hand, "Uhh Dan"
said Wolff as he noticed the fuse getting lower, "Shit" shouted Dan as he threw the thing forward, with only seconds to spare. The huge explosion, knocked everyone to the ground, bar of course our team, and killed quite a few. Then the team opened up with the guns, these guys wouldn't last long.

BOOM-chik-chik-BOOM

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users