#1 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:34 PM

so here we are. perfect example of a man with brains used in the wrong way. he found faith before science, and quickly understood that science is the enemy of faith. "how do we stop this?" he thinks, and comes to the conclusion "we must infiltrate the schools and make sure science is kept down, FOR LORD JEBUZ!".

Plenty of complaints on this guy. saying carbon 14 dating is unstable, supporting creationisism during science classes... And finally, got the school sued for burning a cross onto a students hand with some high frequency tool.

The school board has now apparently voted unamiously to fire the teacher, but we'll see what happens. Because his friend is defending him from the accuses, claiming that he "is teaching the values of the parents in the Mount Vernon school district."

link

bleh, its time to go to bed, figured i post this real quick. not very objective comments from me, but i found it interesting.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#2 Soul

Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 3,781 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion
  •  This person isn't important

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:14 AM

Just when you think you've gotten these zealots all figured out, they come out with a new breed of idiot. At least he's right in one respect. Science truly is the enemy of faith. If you as science for an answer, science will provide you with what it knows and what gaps it has. If you ask religion, "Just have faith".

QFT!

Seriously, you got to wonder where these idiots come from :/.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Soul 2.4

Background process. Has something to do with some activity going on somewhere. Sorting junkmail, I think. No value or interest. Doesn't do much except hog resource.

#3 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Lurking
  •  I'm a physician now. Scary, right?

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:02 AM

I can't stand religious zealots. Especially that type.

Edited by Crazy Intellectual Liberal, 21 June 2008 - 02:02 AM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#4 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:30 PM

What I don't understand is why these people never accept that other people might not have faith, and might not want to have it forced upon them. D'you reckon he was brought up a nutjob or grew into it?
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#5 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:08 PM

Hooray I'm now centre!

What I don't understand is why these people never accept that other people might not have faith, and might not want to have it forced upon them. D'you reckon he was brought up a nutjob or grew into it?

You can put this to many contempary issues in the so-called "civilised and developed" society. It's not just religion. The one that springs to mind, having read Hostile's far right rant, is homosexuality. And transvestites. Heck, even the gender oriented activities eg. males who want to do ballet. People can't understand it and some try to force more "conventional" activities on them.
We have a growing sect of Christianity in Britain too, unfortunately. Strange, how they want to abandon science and are campaigning to lessen the maximum weak for abortion and preach only creationism in schools. What idiots. They don't deserve the ground they walk on, let alone the mouth and voicebox they abuse with their corrupt speeches of ill-justified passion.

#6 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:44 PM

Concurred. Isn't it supposed to be fundamental that government and religion are separate? So, unless you go to a religious school, you should be taught what is in the government syllabus. And the religions can go to hell.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#7 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:31 PM

I'm a firm believer in seperation of church and state. Problem with religion is alot of it is cultural as well. It's abit rediculous to remove all religion from school and not remove alot of cultural identity.

I have no problem a teacher discussing creationism or intelligent design if it's done in order to open people minds about how some people think. But to teach it as a science for the creation of the earth is silly. Even most christians realise the world wasn't made in 6 days.

Seems people on both sides are very extreme. Take that Puppetmaster post above. He claims christians want to remove science from everything. That's silly. I've never heard that and I've been alive alot longer than most people here.

No one in thier right mind would accept only creationism being taught and not evolution. No matter what the zealots say. Massive over-generalisations that shows how closed minded some people can be while claiming to be open minded. Like claiming my post was far right. This person REALLY doesn't know what far right is or he'd understand clearly I'm not far right.

Take abortion for example. I'm pro choice because I don't really give a shit and that what the courts says. But when they start handing out birth control or an abortion to 12 year old girls and not have to notify the parents, well that's going to far.

Some people takes things way to far into extremism. Most people are near the middle and are too busy to care.

Back on topic. If the guy in the story is a nutcase, get rid of him. Just don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Teachers should not be teaching an opinion, that called indocturnation. They should be teaching facts. Problem is "whos facts" are they teaching?

#8 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:10 PM

Seems people on both sides are very extreme. Take that Puppetmaster post above. He claims christians want to remove science from everything. That's silly. I've never heard that and I've been alive alot longer than most people here.

Actually, it's very true. It is some so-called "sect" of Christianity in the south-west of England who is trying to, and has successfully in one primary school, teach only creationism and no science. They so that it is their duty to preach the word of God, and in the primary school the teachers have been infected/blessed and is spreading the crap/blessed word. They even campaigned in London to try and get the government to recognise them and fund them, and also lower age on abortion as well because they felt like doing something else. It's all very true, I'm in no way saying all Christians do that as most Christians are good people with good intentions. This sect is misguided with bad intentions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users