Awesome awesome awesome awesome! :umad:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Did I mention that they're awesome?
Posted Image

Realism is so overrated it isn't even funny. You already know what happens in reality, how is that entertaining...?

#2 dancam

dancam

Phoenix Rises!

• Undead
  • 2,278 posts
  •  Ex Network Leader

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:57 AM

Its quite odd. They've obviously put a lot of effort into the design of each unit, but the cartooniness of a lot of it kinda detracts from the design. For a game that hasn't come out yet, the graphics really don't look all that amazing.
Dan

#3 TX1138

TX1138

TEXT UNRELATED

• Project Team
  • 866 posts
  • Projects:...
  •  Giant Spectrum Panda

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:07 AM

The graphics are pretty much on the par with Starcraft 2. And with SC2 being RA3's main rival, that's probably a good thing.
Posted Image

Realism is so overrated it isn't even funny. You already know what happens in reality, how is that entertaining...?

#4 dancam

dancam

Phoenix Rises!

• Undead
  • 2,278 posts
  •  Ex Network Leader

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:17 AM

Just because they're on par with Starcraft doesn't make them good graphics. The variables in an RTS game like this are fairly limited, therefore the graphics at least should be pretty good. Just wait for when it comes out and requires greater PC performance than COD4 or other games!
Dan

#5 TX1138

TX1138

TEXT UNRELATED

• Project Team
  • 866 posts
  •  Giant Spectrum Panda

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:22 AM

If it does, it will be because of the ingame physics engine.
Posted Image

#6 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:23 AM

I don't understand how that isn't a game with awesome graphics.

The Apocalypse looks a lot better and the terrain looks like a similar setting to some Ra2 missions.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:26 AM

is that a new apoc tank design?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 TX1138

TX1138

TEXT UNRELATED

• Project Team
  • 866 posts
  •  Giant Spectrum Panda

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:27 AM

Oh yeah! :dry: 4 treads, huge guns. Who's gonna argue with that?
Posted Image

#9 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Projects:ShockWave, Rise of the Reds, WarGames ZH

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:21 PM

I don't understand how that isn't a game with awesome graphics.

OH WOW!
It has bloom!

The graphics are borderline sub-par. They are not spectacular for a game of this day and age (and as someone else said, the specs will be incredibly high, as with all EA games for some shitty reason).

The Apocalypse looks better, but still looks too dissimilar to the RA2 version, and really out of proportion. But hey, at least it shows EA is listening for once.

Edited by Alias, 24 June 2008 - 01:22 PM.

#10 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:44 PM

OH WOW!
It has bloom!

I dont care about bloom, I just don't see anything wrong with the way it looks. Same with C&C3, perfectly fine for an RTS.

Posted Image

#11 Prolly Not Pipinowns

Prolly Not Pipinowns
  • Banned
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:53 PM

The Apoc Tank Is ALOT Better!

Edited by Prolly Not Pipinowns, 24 June 2008 - 02:54 PM.

#12 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:38 PM

OH WOW!
It has bloom!

I dont care about bloom, I just don't see anything wrong with the way it looks. Same with C&C3, perfectly fine for an RTS.

I disagree.
Look at some Relic games and get back to me.

#13 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:26 PM

I disagree.

It's always about Relic... Relics games are good graphics, but never involving more than 3 colours.

DoW of course has great graphics as well as DoW2, but I would'nt say the graphics were better, just different style. DoW is closer to the combat than RA and C&C3 so it has to be more detailed but it has way less colour involved... making it just blend into all the other games visually. C&C3 however looks great from where the Commander is viewing the battle. Homeworld (Never played 2) had pretty good graphics but again... fits the style. Space. Pretty dull except for the stars and the colours are all very similar...

Posted Image

#14 Rygar

Rygar

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:41 PM

it seems they have listened about fans's suggestions. Now the apocalypse looks like the apocalypse (in all senses :dry:) but ships are still too small compared to ground units...
Together with best modders since 2003.

#15 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:45 PM

I disagree.

It's always about Relic... Relics games are good graphics, but never involving more than 3 colours.

DoW of course has great graphics as well as DoW2, but I would'nt say the graphics were better, just different style. DoW is closer to the combat than RA and C&C3 so it has to be more detailed but it has way less colour involved... making it just blend into all the other games visually. C&C3 however looks great from where the Commander is viewing the battle. Homeworld (Never played 2) had pretty good graphics but again... fits the style. Space. Pretty dull except for the stars and the colours are all very similar...

It is possible to have both detail and colour on the same thing. Relic decided on the detail, minus the colour to make it as gritty as possible. EA has taken pastel colours and stuck them on models from 2004.

I'm sorry, but they're just so far behind.

Edited by Alias, 24 June 2008 - 09:58 PM.

#16 TX1138

TX1138

TEXT UNRELATED

• Project Team
  • 866 posts
  •  Giant Spectrum Panda

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:39 AM

No Alias, they're not. TW and RA3 are games designed to have hundreds of models on the screen fighting huge battles, while CoH and DoW were games designed around having small amounts of units fighting comparatively small battles.

So of course the models in CoH will be more detailed than the ones in RA3, they're games with very different playing styles. If CoH had the same volume of units used in RA3, then only the best supercomputers in the world would be able to run it.

No matter what way you look at it, you cannot compare RA3 and CoH graphically wise. It just doesn't work.
Posted Image

#17 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:09 PM

EA is now going with an anti-spam approach, remember - we're not going to see very big battles at all. In one of the Q&As it was mentioned that RA3 will focus on "small skirmishes".

Oh, if you haven't played Dawn of War, there are battles with hundreds at a time. In fact, probably more than will be in RA3, as Dawn of War is more of a mass an army and attack game (not forgetting Dawn of War is from 2004, with higher poly models and greater resolution textures than we see in this 2008 game).

#18 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:43 PM

EA is now going with an anti-spam approach, remember - we're not going to see very big battles at all. In one of the Q&As it was mentioned that RA3 will focus on "small skirmishes".

Oh, if you haven't played Dawn of War, there are battles with hundreds at a time. In fact, probably more than will be in RA3, as Dawn of War is more of a mass an army and attack game

Not really. The pop cap limits the amount of squads you can get to about 4-5 (Unless your Necron and cheat the system). DoW focuses on infantry (Though not enough IMO, you can build far too many vehicles on it....) so the scale is bigger... your closer to the action, it HAS to be more detailed.

Yeah, similar to previous C&C games. Theres more units over the whole field, or in your base. Personally I never just charge in with hundreds of units in a C&C, I try and micro small squads around. It proves more effective. Doesn't mean there isn't a lot on the field at once, just not all fighting.

Posted Image

#19 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:42 PM

Oh, if you haven't played Dawn of War, there are battles with hundreds at a time. In fact, probably more than will be in RA3, as Dawn of War is more of a mass an army and attack game

Not really. The pop cap limits the amount of squads you can get to about 4-5 (Unless your Necron and cheat the system). DoW focuses on infantry (Though not enough IMO, you can build far too many vehicles on it....) so the scale is bigger... your closer to the action, it HAS to be more detailed.

It's actually more like (7 squads * 8 members + 3 vehicles) * 2 players gives you more than a hundred - that's just for a two player game. On an engine with ~2000 poly that can run lagless on a 933mhz Pentium III. With Generals, you get thirty 500 poly units on the screen and it starts to lag. The engine is just vastly superior, and a better engine allows better graphics to be run on lower specs.

Yeah, similar to previous C&C games. Theres more units over the whole field, or in your base. Personally I never just charge in with hundreds of units in a C&C, I try and micro small squads around. It proves more effective. Doesn't mean there isn't a lot on the field at once, just not all fighting.

I think EA is going for the Generals approach here, you really aren't going to be building more than about twenty units at one time (at a semi-professional level).

Edited by Alias, 25 June 2008 - 02:46 PM.

#20 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:04 AM

it will just mean instead of spamming just one type of unit, you will spam two types to use together...
(like in generals, as china you spam battlemasters and gattling tanks, thats all you need, as the gattlers take care of air and infatry, battlemaster of tanks)

really there is no way to get around unit spam... its pretty much impossible...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users