Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

Good news for all fans and players of Special Extended Edition! :p

The allmighty Sûlherokhh - Head Coder for SEE finally got back in touch with me yesterday, after several months of absense. This does not mean that he will return to coding for SEE, but at least we know that he's:
1) OK! and
2) Still around, which means I could finally get the latest WiP files and thus still have a chance to continue work on SEE, even if it would mean having to remove all advanced coding that's beyond my skills...

So, there's 2 possible scenarious (if we stick to the positive ones):
1) Sûl returns to SEE Team and we slowly pick up where we left off like half a year ago, or (which is most likely)
2) I try my best to continue work with SEE myself, and at least ad the remaining units and the EvilMen faction, fix as many bugs as possble and finally balance everything up for a final version...

Regardless, we can at least be glad that Sûl's still around :p
The reason for his absense is private, but let's just say that life is always more important than modding. I hope we can all agree on that.
So keep you fingers crossed SEE fans, and hopefully we can get this baby slowly rolling again soon...

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Mordor Slayer

Mordor Slayer

SEE Marketing Manager

• Project Team
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:49 PM

I want go apologize once again if he found my PM's and e-mails annoying, but sometimes you must push a little bit to achieve something in this world :p. Seriously, did he mention the fact that I've attenpted to contact him?

I knew everything would be solved eventually. I've got a strong faith in you, Nazgûl and Sûl.

Edited by Mordor Slayer, 06 July 2008 - 08:57 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:56 PM

Ah, sounds good... So, you've got the files now, aye?

edit: re-read, and your getting the files soon, aye? :p

Edited by Lauri, 05 July 2008 - 09:58 PM.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#4 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:28 AM

Arise! Arise fans of SEE!

#5 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:46 AM

I do not have the WiP yet no... his email to me was not a reply to neither my emails nor MS's, but merely a stand alone and first contact/life sign. The email was even named "life signs" :mellow:

I got no impression of him being annoyed at anyone, but rather a bit ashamed himself. I understand that completely, cause that's how I felt when I had my deepest depression this winter and spring, and I couldn't and didn't wanna talk about it. So I left Internet life completely. I just knew that I had no strenght or care to be working or even thinking about this project when my life took such a deep turn for the worse. I don't know what happened to Sûl and it's up to him to say, if he wants to, but like I said, I do understand from his words that life has been enough for him to cope with for some time. And I don't know if this means that he'll be back per sé, but at least he made an effort to tell us he's still around and plannig to slowly come back. And with that return I naturally expect him to give me/us the latest files.

And yes I know, I SHOULD have them (the files) as a Team Leader, but he made soooo many coding additions anyway that a week could mean an entirely new beta, and my efforts was going to keeping track of all things planned in the ToDo List, extracting useful ideas from this forum and keeping the forum in order and on track while looking for new potential members. Not to mention, talking to all the modelers and verifying (testing) their progress on models while I was also working on skins and 2D art myself for all new things, being skies, structures or units... SO, I should have had constant access to the files, but due to the speed of SEE's progress it was just not an effective way to work.

Here's some of what Sûl said:

I'll be coming back to internet life shortly. Please forgive my continued absence...

Looking through all the stuff that has mounted will take some time, but rest asured that nothing is gone that has been around on my hard disks the last half year...

I'll be getting in touch with you soon. There is a lot of tidying up for me to do...

:)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#6 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:51 PM

So what's the first thing you're going to do when you have the files? :mellow:

*cough* svn *
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#7 zachdaddy_3000

zachdaddy_3000

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

• Project Team
  • 580 posts
  • Projects:Nazgul's BFMEII: Special Extended Edition

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:30 AM

This is indeed wonderful news from Sul! Sorry for my absence (especially to you NJM, I haven't forgotten about you), I can't wait to get back into beta-testing for the ultimate mod:

S.E.E. !
Do not come between a Zach and his........Zach?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Guest_Arthadan_*

Guest_Arthadan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:27 AM

Great News!!!

Long Life SEE!!! :mellow:

#9 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

The important thing to do here would mostly be to support Sûl and show appreciation that he got back in touch with me/us. I mean, he could just have stayed vanished if he wanted to. And I know he's gone through some rough times, like I did (and still do), so be kind to him and support him and maybe things will be a bit easier for him to get back, in whatever size or range that may be :')

So what's the first thing you're going to do when you have the files? ;)

*cough* svn *

What's "svn"? :p
Anyway, the first thing I'm gonna do is slowly go through everything and see what can be salvaged and what has to be removed. There's a lot of unique coding and advanced AI in this 4.6 and I hope and think that some of it is finished so it can stay. I will only remove those items that are not 100% complete (unless I can finish them myself). But the best case scenario would naturally be if he came back as a coder too, and not "only" a person. But we'll see :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#10 Jonasking

Jonasking

title available

• Project Team
  • 451 posts
  • Projects:Finished Projects

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:08 PM

Very good news :p

#11 witchkingshour

witchkingshour
  • Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:41 PM

Well, even if he didn't come back I still appreciate what he did for this mod. I just never thought it was possible of the things that we have seen. So he has got my appreciation and respect for caring about the game and the fans.
"The world of Men will fall"

Posted Image

#12 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:26 AM

Cheers!

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#13 Aragorn King Elessar

Aragorn King Elessar
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:20 AM

This is very good news indeed, I am glad that this gives S.E.E the opportunity to move forward ^_^
Posted Image

#14 av8r

av8r

SEE Support Mgr

• Project Team
  • 489 posts
  • Projects:SEE

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:41 PM

Its good to know, a relief to hear that he is alright. Whether he returns to SEE or not is secondary; but very good to know he is alright. Hoipe he is able to do what he can on this.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 ttandchotmail

ttandchotmail

title available

• Project Team
  • 849 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:59 AM

life is always more important than modding. I hope we can all agree on that.

G'day to all

Very true nazgul. I agree 100% Great to hear sul is around again. Even if he dosn't do any coding again he's always good to have a chat with :p
No chance of returning....Zero chance of surviving....Well!? When do we get started?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Dr.Kirk

Dr.Kirk
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • Projects:SEE - one mod to rule them all

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:18 PM

All that is missing does not glitter,
Not all those who take time off are lost,
The old and the strong do not wither,
And Dwarves are not reached by the frost.
From the Ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the code lines shall spring,
Renewed shall be community broken,
And Sul once again shall be king.

Hmm, well... that all made no sense whatsoever. I just felt like writing that off the top of my head as an ode to Sul's (frankly amazing) work during the long stages of this mod's creation. :good: Considering it only took me fifty odd seconds to write, I think it's an alright tribute! :p

Just to say, even if Sul never manages to return to SEE, I'm sure we will all agree that his work towards the completion and utter awesomeness of this mod will be remembered by all in incredibly high regard when this project finally comes to it's end. Sul has single handedly managed to do the impossible with BFME II and make EA's (frankly shabby) attempt at a game into something well beyond our imagination. Along with others in the community of SEE, he has helped to make this mod the great achievement that it is today. :p

I personally as a coder treat him in very high regard as I know EXACTLY how difficult it is to make things work using only strings of numbers and words and I can tell you from personal experience that some of the coding work he has done for this game is far beyond that of a standard modder and has left me almost speechless. The thing that has amazed me most, I think, is his determination to complete everything we needed even when he is taking some well-earned time off in his life and that is a quality I hope to carry on myself if I ever become a coder for the SEE modding community.

Long live the head coder, Sul. I eagerly await his retun whether that be in the form of SEE coder or standard community member, whenever that may be. :p

Edited by Dr.Kirk, 11 July 2008 - 01:23 PM.

Posted Image
Aperture Science. We do what we must, because we can.

#17 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:00 PM

I concurr.. I started as a Coder too, learning from this great community and all the veterans that helped me to grow as a Coder and learn more and more in the process. Eventually I reached a skill level of say maybe 5 out of 10. Then Sul came along, and much like you, showed interest in my work and eventually I gave him control of coding while I concentrated on runnig the production and doing only what I do best: Art & Skinning =)

His skill level is that of very few other legendary modders like Robnkarla, Ched, Celeglin and others, that are basically off the chart... :p
So without him it's gonna be hard to follow the extremely high level of coding we had, but at least we stand a chance at finishing this mod in some way if you're half as good as I hope you are :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#18 Dr.Kirk

Dr.Kirk
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • Projects:SEE - one mod to rule them all

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:57 PM

I sure hope I'm as good as I think I am... lol :p

Yeah, Sul's work is both legendary and inspirational for me. While I agree I could never code to his level, I am determined to either help him in his return somewhere on the horizon or at least take some of the coding work off his shoulders in his absence. I have every faith that we'll have this mod completed - it's too good to have it just run into the dirt and left for dead now, not when it's still in it's infant (well, actually, probably teenage) stages.

Getting back on track... I'm sure we'll all hear from him sometime in the future anyway, whenever that time may be. Just as long as he's doing well for himself then that's all I think we all need to know for the needed element of relief.

I joined at a bad stage in this mod - a while after his dissapearance, when the mod seemed to be at it's lowest, new suggestions were rarely made and carried out and everything appeared to be at a standstill. However, despite his abscence when I joined the Fellowship of the SEE I looked over the forum and through the topics contained within it I could still see the amazing work that he had done for the community still alive and being used today, and I knew it must have taken some damn good coder to keep an apparently dying mod alive in that way. Even if Sul never returns to SEE, he should always be proud of the difference he made to a game I thought lost in the fires of Mount Doom and I respect people like him who worked hard to achieve the impossible as he did.

I'm sure that we all understand his abscence and await his return, when it comes. :p
Posted Image
Aperture Science. We do what we must, because we can.

#19 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:56 PM

Right, to make it short:

Sûl finally popped up and gave me the latest WiP :xcahik_:
This means that we can start investigating what the next step would be, while we wait for his next move.

The first and best thing to do now would be to rally the Beta Testers and provide them with this Private beta, which is Beta 4.6d! Then I'd like for you all to play play play and test test test as much as you can, taking THOROUGH notes (not LONG, but pinpointed and thorough) of ALL anomalies you encounter... Keeping an eye on the latest Coding Notes from Sûl in Staff Forums would also be good to sorta know what to especially look for.

I'll send a PM to all BTs and also copy this assignment to the Staff Forums. I will also promote you Dr Kirk to status Project as I assume you'd like to start beta testing Beta 4.6d and then we can discuss wether you'd like to start Coding for us as well :sad2:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#20 Lord of the Rings Junkie

Lord of the Rings Junkie

Musn't hurt the Precious!

• Project Team
  • 827 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Gate Mod

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:37 AM

Woooooooooooooooooooooooo! :xcahik_: Finally some action! :)

I'll have to reinstall BFME2 first, though. I recently upgraded my MB, RAM, and GPU and EA's anti-piracy auto-defeat feature has decided to kick in. :sad2:
"Et Earello Endorenna utulien.
Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar
tenn' Ambar-metta!"
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Don't come between The Lord of the Rings and its junkie!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users