• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:50 PM

Right..something that got tossed into my head earlier, and has since been jumbled and enlarged from that little, tiny, snowball into a massive, flaky, snow...boulder :p

Anyway...what are the chances that the two Blue Wizards, Allatar and Pallando, were also known as Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul, and the Mouth of Sauron, Lieutenant of Barad-dur?

Yes...I know :p but bare with me.

The Mouth. He is said to have been a descendant of the Black Numenoreans; what exactly defines them? It's said that the Istari came to Middle-earth in the guise of Men. It could be that this Istar (Allatar?) came to Middle-earth in appearance of a Black Numenorean in order to gain their trust more quickly. Anyway, assuming this is what happened, it could have been that he himself fell into their ways and became corrupted, eventually coming to power among them - and Sauron. Due to his corruption and fall from grace, Allatar would have lost the majority of his former power; and the trade-off of learning dark arts from Sauron wouldn't have been enough to place him above most of the Nazgul in strength, or keep him above being frightened by Aragorn.
If this is how it went down, it explains the mysterious power of the Mouth of Sauron's voice and the dark strength of his words.

Gothmog. His identity is left heavily ambiguous; whether he's the third-in-command of the Nazgul, a high-up Orc Chieftain, or a Black Numenorean is unknown. What if was a fallen Istari? I'll assume Pallando. It could be that he, like Allatar, at first followed his orders from the Valar - the pair traveled into the East to try and keep the Men there from following Sauron into darkness. It could be for him, that, like Allatar, he became corrupted by those he sought to protect. Eventually, he could have come to power among the Easterlings, and then earned the attention of Sauron by allying the Men of Rhun, Khand, and Harad. It could be that he was Umbar when Sauron contacted him and brought him to Mordor. From there he became the Lieutenant of Morgul, placed as the second-in-command of the Witch-king, being not as powerful as him due to his loss of power due to corruption.

So..yeah :p just a theory. Well, two. Hehe. Discuss!

#2 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:57 PM

Oh yeah, sure, don't give me any credit. I see how it is. :p

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#3 tomy

tomy
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:08 PM

Well, I disagree with your first theory. Tolkien said he was a man, that's enough to prove it xD

However, the second one is very interesting. I always imagined Gothmog as someone very powerfull (he had to be as he was named after the Lord of the Balrogs!). Well, I'm at least sure he was not an orc (as in the movie). It isn't a name for a nazgul, I just feel that a nazgul wouldn't be named like that. That leaves black numenorean, which kinda doesn't feel right either.
So yeah, he MUST be something different. Could be an Istari

Edited by tomy, 05 July 2008 - 10:10 PM.

'Tall ships and tall kings
three times three.
What brought they from the foundered land
over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones
and one white tree.'

#4 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:16 PM

Elven, don't say that lol. You said me post it, after all it's my idea.. :p

As for the Mouth, I agree to an extent. It could be that he appeared as a Black Numenorean, and due to his fall from grace, became mortal.

#5 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:39 PM

I said for you to post it, not to exclude me entirely. :p

Another thing to consider that we discussed. Look at them both together. They were both lieutenants. They were both stationed at an entrance to mordor, Mouth at the Gate and Gothy at Morgul. So, it seems they held very similar postions, which suggests a similarity. Which fit in with the two Blue wizards, as they are regarded as equal, so it makes sense for them to have similar postions.....

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#6 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:12 PM

Well, as it all sounds rather interesting, I doubt it very much...

Don't think they'd change their wonderful blue clothes... :p

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#7 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:15 PM

I'm doubtful of it myself, but it's interesting to talk about nonetheless :p

#8 Dalf32

Dalf32

The Ever-Willing

• Project Team
  • 1,923 posts
  • Projects:Beta Testing RJ-RotWK

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:33 PM

im skeptical but its an interesting thought...

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:43 AM

Possible.

Not probable.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#10 shadowcreature

shadowcreature

title available

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  RJ-Bug Hunter

Posted 06 July 2008 - 02:49 AM

Very interesting theories, but would they want to give up all that hair? :p

#11 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:21 AM

I seem to clearly remember reading that the blue wizards do not come into these tales. Wouldnt that make them part of them if they were Lts of mordor? So very creative idea but no, not really, no.

#12 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Lurking
  •  I'm a physician now. Scary, right?

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:37 AM

Peculiar... I haven't heard such nonsense like that supported with fact so well... Anyways, as I said before, I doubt it is true. Anyways, who said Orcs couldn't get VERY strong? Some in the First Age were strong enough to actually survive (for a time) a sword duel with a great Elvenking like Thingol. Anyways, it was also likely that Alatar did not fall, in case you forgot his Quendi name. It was unlikely that Pallando fell either but if he did, something like WotE was most likely to happen, in my opinion. At any rate, I'm to lazy to back this up with fact or peek into my Silmarillion, Wikipedia, Unfinished Tales, or LotR books or anything else right now in order to support this crap with any fact. I'm just taking stuff off the top of my head.

Edited by Crazy Intellectual Liberal, 10 July 2008 - 06:38 AM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#13 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:46 AM

A Maia of the people of Oromë and a friend to Alatar, Pallando was selected by the Valar as the last of the five beings to be sent eastward across the Great Sea to become Wizards. Alatar and Pallando were together known as the Ithryn Luin, the Blue Wizards. They wandered far from the northwestern shores of Middle-earth, exploring the distant eastern and southern lands. Their fate is never told, but it seems that, like Saruman, they fell into darkness, and Tolkien hints that they were responsible for the founding of strange cults in distant lands.

ok so Im a little off on from what I had said, this is from the encyclopedia of arda on pallando, since "their fate is never told" it would be reasonable that the mouth of sauron couldnt be one of them because we know his fate.

#14 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:35 AM

Actually, we don't know the fate of the Mouth of Sauron. In the movies he got his head chopped of by Aragorn, but in the books he simply rides away after which the orc armies come.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#15 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:28 PM

After Sauron's defeat, the Mouth of Sauron travels East and begins to once again stir evil in the hearts of Men. He then reveals himself as...

Lord Khôragan.

Or so Lauri and I say.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#16 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:31 PM

Not after the WotR...
Before that part we know his history :) Some of it... He was suppose to be with Sauron since the rise of his great tower, or something... Meaning, either the first rise, making him quite the old lad, or the second rise, making him alot younger... :mellow:

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#17 Myrdin

Myrdin

title available

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 02:52 PM

Dont think that MoS was former a blue wizard, certainly his woice is a power itself, but even if they become corrupted, they would have been stronger, than MoS was.

btw, i think Gandi would notice that one of his former "brethrens" stands before him - when they encountered Mouth of Sauron ( which could eventually slide into pretty interesting dialoge, but since nothing like that happened ...)
"Let this scar signify the first blow against the mortal world."
"From this seal shall arise the doom of men,"
"who, in their arrogance, sought to wield our fire as their own."
"Blindly they build their kingdoms upon stolen knowledge and conceit."
"Now they shall be consumed by the very flame they sought to control."
"Let the echoes of doom resound across this wretched world, that all who live may hear them and despair."

"Tremble, mortals, and despair! Doom has come to this world!"

#18 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:06 PM

But yeah. I'm fully aware that this is most likely not what happened. Just a theory I (and elven :)) made up yesterday. Which is why the title is called "A Theory" not "I had a seance with the Professor, and look what I found out!"

EDIT: Wait, CIL, you own teh Wiki??????????????????????????????NO WAI!! :mellow:

Edited by mike_, 06 July 2008 - 09:08 PM.

#19 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:17 AM

Hell...

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#20 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:26 PM

A different theory at least, as proposed by Wote

Edited by Puppeteer, 09 July 2008 - 05:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users