#1 kennethain

kennethain

quoth the raven, "nevermore"

• Project Team
  • 158 posts
  • Projects:life.
  •  RA beta rabble

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:51 PM

This is for the modders and community members because I'd like to hear opinions.
Last week's revelation of the Dale Inn got me thinking about the Dale mercenaries mentioned here in the site's description:

Dale:
Dale's military might not be the most advanced in Middle Earth, but their economic power gives them the ability to upgrade their units sooner then the other races and giving them acces to mini factions earlier. Dale greatly benefits from their trading partners. For instance elven influence makes them handy with the bow and dwarven influence benefits their structures and armor. Another power for Dale will be the fact that they can use fast built but expensive mercenary's to bolster their ranks in addition to their normal troops.

Are they going to be from other factions, other factions' mini-factions, Dale's own mini-factions, or new units entirely? I could see them coming from Rhun or Erebor since they are trading partners but not really Mirkwood since I don't suspect the Elves would be for hire.
I think it would be interesting to see battalions made up of mixed units each with their own normal statistics (for damage, health, armor, etc). For example a battalion could be made up of an Easterling soldier, a Dwarven soldier (such as an Ered Luin Venturer), a Woodman Hunter, a Dorwinadan Soldier, and an East Bight Rogue. There are plenty of combinations that could be made (hopefully randomly?). Would make the battalions more interesting and diverse.
Also, will they be upgradable (I would think so because of all the trading) but will they level up like other units (I hope so because I hate not being able to level up a unit).
Am I also wasting time thinking about this since it could also just be a power to summon some excellent shock troops I'm not thinking of?

OK, thoughts?

By the way, any chance someone could post a link to the old forums?
the dude abides.

#2 Canterbury

Canterbury

Master-at-Arms

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

Mercenaries of Dale
Who are they: Mercenaries
Where are they from: Dale
lol jk umm i would have to assume that if their were mercenaries, then i would guess that they would be northmen from rhovanion, or in minor towns around Dale
Posted Image

#3 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:17 AM

That's an interesting idea. I'll think on it, but the concept of mercenaries isn't exactly correct. They're more adventuring types who go off into far lands and can be pressed into military service as an unorganized fighting force, specializing in skirmishing.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#4 kennethain

kennethain

• Project Team
  • 158 posts
  •  RA beta rabble

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:57 PM

Hobbit mercenaries... :xcahik_: Makes me laugh very much.
the dude abides.

#5 MasterSilver

MasterSilver
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:29 PM

"That's an interesting idea. I'll think on it, but the concept of mercenaries isn't exactly correct. They're more adventuring types who go off into far lands and can be pressed into military service as an unorganized fighting force, specializing in skirmishing."

If they are adventures wouldn't it be better to call them Adventures of Dale, Or Dalian Adventures? And since your still working on the faction could there be both the adventures you were talking about and mercenaries? For the mercenaries I would suggest high attack power and very low hp. They could be like a last line of defence if your castle is being over run. Have it so there is a variety, corsaier would make good mercenaries. Have them train a little faster than peasants, and maybe give them a timer? In Fact perhaps it would be better as a power, so that the troops are always random. So any good units from men and dwarves, not so much elves are randomly selected. Tell me what you think, and sorry about all the misspelled words :xcahik_: .Peace

#6 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:13 PM

Well, a reason not to have it Adventurers of Dale, is because, it's not only people of Dale.. ;)

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#7 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:11 PM

Still whatever description they may be, they will still be a gem in a player's eyes.

spam: Summer's begun!!! ;)
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#8 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:02 AM

I would of thought that the Dale Inn would maybe recruit the Dorwinion Units unless they have their own building?

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#9 kennethain

kennethain

• Project Team
  • 158 posts
  •  RA beta rabble

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:33 PM

They have their own mini-faction building.
the dude abides.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users