why do we think death is bad?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Rawlo

Rawlo

Word Smith

• Project Team
  • 1,616 posts
  •  as it turns out, was never actually a convict, go figure.

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:09 AM

saying someones insane only means you don't understand their motives.

now I wouldn't say I'm insane, I'm certainly not motivated by what most people tend to be, but I'm still easy enough to understand. that said I certainly don't fear death, or much else for that matter. Doesn't mean I want to die, I'm just not scared of doing so.
The Least I Could Do - We all wished we were like this at one point
Ctrl+Alt+Del - A webcomic for the gamer in all of us
A final good night Burnie, sleep well mate, rest in peace
Goodbye Tig, you are sorely missed.
Goodbye to you aswell till, you'll also be missed

Xeno, RIP mate
"I'm going to go on the record and say that any substance abuse problem which creates women like that is ok by me"

#22 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:38 AM

Fully agreed. There's a significant difference between acceptance and longing.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#23 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:48 AM

Agreed. Yoda, we don't know what happens at death. If you interchange "death" with "rebirth" elsewhere, then it makes an entirely new meaning to it Yoda.

#24 Guest_The Ghost_*

Guest_The Ghost_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:41 PM

Uhh but when your dead your not gunna think "im bored, why cant I be alive again".

One word. Zombies.

We don't want to kill ourselves bBecause we're not peaceful people, are we? The truly peaceful amongst us, like certain sects of Buddhists, openly welcome death as the next stage of life. So for those who genuinely wish to be peaceful, death holds no fear.

Not exactly true. Are you to say that me most battle hardened warriors who desire death in a glorious battle are "peaceful"?

In my opinion, if you say you don't fear death, you're either lying, self delusional, or insane.

I'll take option C thank you very much.

Fully agreed. There's a significant difference between acceptance and longing.

I think the correct term for that is "emo"

#25 Rawlo

Rawlo

Word Smith

• Project Team
  • 1,616 posts
  •  as it turns out, was never actually a convict, go figure.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:37 AM

hmm I don't think I've met an emo who actually wanted to die, they just tend to have attention seeking behavior (and don't you dare tell me I'm being biased, why the hell else would a person dress and act like a complete mope unless they wanted people to pay attention to them.)
The Least I Could Do - We all wished we were like this at one point
Ctrl+Alt+Del - A webcomic for the gamer in all of us
A final good night Burnie, sleep well mate, rest in peace
Goodbye Tig, you are sorely missed.
Goodbye to you aswell till, you'll also be missed

Xeno, RIP mate
"I'm going to go on the record and say that any substance abuse problem which creates women like that is ok by me"

#26 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:03 PM

Perfectly correct, Rawlo. Emo is purely about gaining attention for imaginary problems. The only good thing about emo is that most people have now figured out that it's a load of whiny bullshit.

We don't want to kill ourselves because we're not peaceful people, are we? The truly peaceful amongst us, like certain sects of Buddhists, openly welcome death as the next stage of life. So for those who genuinely wish to be peaceful, death holds no fear.

Not exactly true. Are you to say that me most battle hardened warriors who desire death in a glorious battle are "peaceful"?

No. I'm saying that for those who are genuinely peaceful, death holds no fear. I didn't say anything about those who are not genuinely peaceful. Desiring death "in glorious battle" is completely different, and they're welcome to it, but forgive me if I don't join them.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#27 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:20 PM

Not fearing death is not the same as wanting death. In the same way I'm not afraid of my own shit, but I don't really want to be near it. Hence, I shit it out.

I'm not afraid of dying. I'm not in a rush to make it happen either, but if it should happen in spite of my best survival instincts, then oh well.

#28 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:18 PM

One word. Zombies.

One word. Stupid.

#29 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:36 AM

Not to me...

#30 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 14 September 2008 - 12:14 PM

Zombies dont think "im bored" either though, because theyre too primitive. :p

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#31 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:49 PM

I'll be honest, I thought it was pretty funny too. Also, depends which zombies you're talking about as to whether or not they're intelligent enough to get bored. Have you ever read 'I Am Legend'? The book that got made into a film with Will Smith in it? The zombies in the book are pretty damn smart. Less so in the film, but, you know. That's Hollywood. They also went and wrecked the ending so it wouldn't scare small children. I hate films that do that.

#32 partyzanPaulZy

partyzanPaulZy

"quarawr!"

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Projects:Corruption Of Power - YR mod
  •  doing my mod alone till 1st release (then will see)

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:02 PM

From evolutionary reasons it's good to die one day and left free space to descendants. Well, if there's some live after dead, I think so, the most logical is incarnation to new body again on Earth (in the Universe), unless some substance called soul could go somewhere else, but again next live seems to me like the best option. Heaven would be boring after some time (and time to rock) and in the hell would be even Hitler after some very long time fixed to innocent. And souls would have to cummulate here without new born.
And some integration of souls to one substance or Nirvanna, dunno it reminds me another name of the hell. After live is so absurd theme to think about...

P.S.: When I first read the title it remembered me one witch-part of the Simpsons, where Homer slept during all the mass and then Apocalypse came. Everybody except the Simpson family went to heaven (Lissa almost too), but Homer told them to go down, where were goodies (sausages, potato salad). :D :cool2:

Edited by partyzanPaulZy, 15 September 2008 - 09:02 PM.

Posted Image
"Soviet Union was a superpower and each superpower needs at least 1 war at 5 years to keep army in a good condition." ... my grandpa. USA create wars more frequently.

#33 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:43 PM

You know, assuming the existence of something like a soul to be a given, I would hypothesise that rebirth is the only possible solution. Otherwise the universe would become overcrowded with immortal beings that had nowhere to go and no body to inhabit. Which means a) that we have all been someone/something else at some point in the past and b) that we will be again, unless the universe ends before we get round to it. And then you occasionally get crossed wires where two 'souls' (pardon the word, it's the closest we've got) end up in the same body, which fucks everything up way bad and gives some poor dude multiple personality disorder. :p

#34 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:08 PM

death should happen to leaders that hang on for too long. politics being kept alive through long-living political figures can delay a timely change. another reason not to go for McCain :unsure:

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#35 anonymous

anonymous
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

To fear physical death is to fear ones mortal future!
Physical death is the one truth everyone knows.
It will happen so why worry. It can't be stopped.
We can all see into our future, it will end in death.
So, knowing that truth, one must make peace with their life.
We know nothing about death except that it will happen.
If you believe when you die thats it end of story, you may end up manifesting that destiny of death.
If on the other hand you build your awarweness of self as an infinite entity, you may manifest that destiny.
If infinity is real and you know it and understand it then you become infinitely fused within that state when your alive and physically dead as well.
Once the realization of infinity is internalized and accepted there is no turning back.

This concept is so simple yet people still doubt. It just blows my mind.
Think about this: If you can grasp infinity how can that knowledge die within?
You know your body will die yet your mind can grasp the concept of infinity.
The thought itself automatically has you disconnect mind from body!
So which is real? Mind/Soul or Body or both co-existing now until one goes away (namely body).
When your body dies what you have left is up to you.
I don't know about you guys but all I'm going to leave behind is an empty shell not my freakin essence.

Regards

#36 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:09 AM

To fear physical death is to fear ones mortal future!
Physical death is the one truth everyone knows.
It will happen so why worry. It can't be stopped.
We can all see into our future, it will end in death.
So, knowing that truth, one must make peace with their life.
We know nothing about death except that it will happen.
If you believe when you die thats it end of story, you may end up manifesting that destiny of death.
If on the other hand you build your awarweness of self as an infinite entity, you may manifest that destiny.
If infinity is real and you know it and understand it then you become infinitely fused within that state when your alive and physically dead as well.
Once the realization of infinity is internalized and accepted there is no turning back.

This concept is so simple yet people still doubt. It just blows my mind.
Think about this: If you can grasp infinity how can that knowledge die within?
You know your body will die yet your mind can grasp the concept of infinity.
The thought itself automatically has you disconnect mind from body!
So which is real? Mind/Soul or Body or both co-existing now until one goes away (namely body).
When your body dies what you have left is up to you.
I don't know about you guys but all I'm going to leave behind is an empty shell not my freakin essence.

Regards

You WILL live for infinity, but without physical or mental awareness, you will be but one piece of nothing upon millions of nothing, what is left behind of us you say? Nothing, you will not think or feel, breathe or calculate, nothing, nothing at all, it will be as if you are on a vacation where you just sit there, do nothing, not even think, just sit there, suspended and paralyzed head-to-toe.

There's no way to fully explain death, for once you die, anything you ever thought would be lost, you will not know what you knew or what you were, your whole identity will be swipped, so relax folks, enjoy the refreshing glass of nothing, don't worry, because your just speeding up the process.

Recarnation you say? If yes, then aren't we all reincarnates of Adam and Eve, if thus is true.

#37 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:24 AM

Maybe Adam and Eve are reincarnations of us? Maybe the spiritual element of humanity is a timeless thing, existing outside the usual tangible 4 dimensions, which is why we've never been able to successfully find it. Just a thought.

#38 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:34 AM

Maybe, maybe, maybe. Maybe when we die, we're dead. End of story. I like to think that, if there is anything different, I'll be quite pleasantly surprised.

Posted Image

#39 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:45 AM

Or tormented by the fires of hell for all eternity, you heretic. :p Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I'd like to believe, but I just can't.

#40 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:46 PM

In eseence, we fear death because we do not know it, as has been said above.

Personally, I do not fear it because I know 3 things:

1. It is inevitable.
2. After I die, people will remember me for who I was. Therefore, I do everything I can to make a name for myself hoping that death will bring me fame (or infamy.)
3. I will discover whether there is an afterlife of some form or not. As an agnost, I welcome the opportunity to make that discovery for myself.

Death is an alien entity, and takes different forms. Quick and painful. Quick and painless. Slow and painless. Slow and painful. Similar to our fear of death is our fear of pain, and I think that from this stems our own internal desire to die a painless death, thereby minimizing our exposure to "hostile" entities. That's why the uber-cliche "Slow and Painful death" is so overused - we see it as a double whammy, so to speak.

Fear of the unknown is what it all boils down to, really.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users