• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spyVspy

spyVspy
  • Hosted
  • 43 posts
  • Projects:Asylum mod for C&C3

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:23 PM

I'm not bad at searching for answers to my CSS questions, and there are lots of places to find help, but I feel like studying a good reference book once in a while.

Anybody have a book they recommend highly?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:27 AM

Depends what you're after exactly.
The only CSS book I actually own is Transcending CSS by Andy Clark, which I'd definitely recommend as a guide on how to advance your CSS from usable to brilliant, and covering workflow and creativity patterns, layout intricacies and progressive enhancement.
Then I keep meaning to get Dave Shea's CSS Zen Garden book..
Just go to a good bookshop and flick through whats there.

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#3 spyVspy

spyVspy
  • Hosted
  • 43 posts
  • Projects:Asylum mod for C&C3

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'm considering the Andy Clark book. I also found a lot of people mention Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide by Eric Meyers as a good reference, though one guy found it "way too detailed. To the point of being boring."

I also found the CSS Zen Garden website, I had not seen that site before, amazing.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:12 PM

Haven't read Meyers book but I'd imagine it fairly hardcore.
Latest purchase: Bulletproof Web Design - Dan Cederholm.
Its a bit old and refers to lots of obsolete hacks, but a great read. Dan delves into a number of common design elements and analyses the techniques behind them, their flaws, then offers a guide to how to rewrite with valid xhtml and css, outlining the benifits of doing so.

A number of people have pointed out "but... You know all that. You taught me that, I know you know that, why didn't you just get a different book?" but a) the CSS Zen Garden book wasn't there, b) it was cheap, but c) its well worth reading for the few gems you might have missed.

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#5 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

I recommend CSS: 101 essential tips, tricks, and hacks

I forget the author (a friend's borrowing it atm), it's an orange/white/someblue covered book and has lots of examples for layouts, buttons, designs and all using css. Great guide for a beginner/intermediate.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users