25 replies to this topic

#1 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

http://www.timesonli...icle4749183.ece

ISLAMIC law has been officially adopted in Britain, with sharia courts given powers to rule on Muslim civil cases.

The government has quietly sanctioned the powers for sharia judges to rule on cases ranging from divorce and financial disputes to those involving domestic violence.

Rulings issued by a network of five sharia courts are enforceable with the full power of the judicial system, through the county courts or High Court.

Previously, the rulings of sharia courts in Britain could not be enforced, and depended on voluntary compliance among Muslims.

It has now emerged that sharia courts with these powers have been set up in London, Birmingham, Bradford and Manchester with the network’s headquarters in Nuneaton, Warwickshire. Two more courts are being planned for Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Sheikh Faiz-ul-Aqtab Siddiqi, whose Muslim Arbitration Tribunal runs the courts, said he had taken advantage of a clause in the Arbitration Act 1996.

Under the act, the sharia courts are classified as arbitration tribunals. The rulings of arbitration tribunals are binding in law, provided that both parties in the dispute agree to give it the power to rule on their case.

Siddiqi said: “We realised that under the Arbitration Act we can make rulings which can be enforced by county and high courts. The act allows disputes to be resolved using alternatives like tribunals. This method is called alternative dispute resolution, which for Muslims is what the sharia courts are.”

The disclosure that Muslim courts have legal powers in Britain comes seven months after Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, was pilloried for suggesting that the establishment of sharia in the future “seems unavoidable” in Britain.

In July, the head of the judiciary, the lord chief justice, Lord Phillips, further stoked controversy when he said that sharia could be used to settle marital and financial disputes.

In fact, Muslim tribunal courts started passing sharia judgments in August 2007. They have dealt with more than 100 cases that range from Muslim divorce and inheritance to nuisance neighbours.

It has also emerged that tribunal courts have settled six cases of domestic violence between married couples, working in tandem with the police investigations.

Siddiqi said he expected the courts to handle a greater number of “smaller” criminal cases in coming years as more Muslim clients approach them. “All we are doing is regulating community affairs in these cases,” said Siddiqi, chairman of the governing council of the tribunal.

Jewish Beth Din courts operate under the same provision in the Arbitration Act and resolve civil cases, ranging from divorce to business disputes. They have existed in Britain for more than 100 years, and previously operated under a precursor to the act.

Politicians and church leaders expressed concerns that this could mark the beginnings of a “parallel legal system” based on sharia for some British Muslims.

Dominic Grieve, the shadow home secretary, said: “If it is true that these tribunals are passing binding decisions in the areas of family and criminal law, I would like to know which courts are enforcing them because I would consider such action unlawful. British law is absolute and must remain so.”

Douglas Murray, the director of the Centre for Social Cohesion, said: “I think it’s appalling. I don’t think arbitration that is done by sharia should ever be endorsed or enforced by the British state.”

There are concerns that women who agree to go to tribunal courts are getting worse deals because Islamic law favours men.

Siddiqi said that in a recent inheritance dispute handled by the court in Nuneaton, the estate of a Midlands man was divided between three daughters and two sons.

The judges on the panel gave the sons twice as much as the daughters, in accordance with sharia. Had the family gone to a normal British court, the daughters would have got equal amounts.

In the six cases of domestic violence, Siddiqi said the judges ordered the husbands to take anger management classes and mentoring from community elders. There was no further punishment.

In each case, the women subsequently withdrew the complaints they had lodged with the police and the police stopped their investigations.

Siddiqi said that in the domestic violence cases, the advantage was that marriages were saved and couples given a second chance.

Inayat Bunglawala, assistant secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said: “The MCB supports these tribunals. If the Jewish courts are allowed to flourish, so must the sharia ones.”

Has the British government gone mad?! It's only a matter of time now...they'll take over Europe, then we're next!

#2 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:06 AM

It has also emerged that tribunal courts have settled six cases of domestic violence between married couples, working in tandem with the police investigations.

This one seems to have REAL promising results. I believe common law is what was keeping these women safe in the first place.

Good luck UK and Europe.

#3 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:00 AM

This is fucking outrageous.

We're going to NEED that good luck. I don't think I've ever been so offended in my life as I am to hear this.

#4 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:25 PM

To be honest, as long as they're not given power to rule on criminal cases and can be overruled by a British crown court decision, it's fine by me. I don't see why the Muslims shouldn't have their own court to settle minor disputes. If everyone comes out satisfied with the result, then where's the harm? Oh yeah, another 'as long as': as long as the general British public doesn't have to pay to support them.

Has the British government gone mad?! It's only a matter of time now...they'll take over Europe, then we're next!

The British government has been going downhill for quite some time, I'm afraid, Kacen. Though I must say, I don't think it'll happen anywhere else. Britain has a particularly large Muslim community, one of the largest in Europe. And France, in a similar position, have gone the other way and outlawed Muslim headgear and such. I don't think you need be worried about this. And you know as well as we all do that America would never stand for that. The next Persidential campaign would be based on whether or not somebody will outlaw religious courts.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#5 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:21 PM

No they won't.

And once again I agree with Vortigern, as long as no human rights are broken. Sharia laws in Middle-eastern countries sometimes turn out rather bloody, after all...

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#6 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:14 PM

Shariah law is barbaric and should not be allowed or condoned in the west, or anywhere else for that matter.

#7 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:26 PM

None of it over here is or will be barbaric. There's no violent part being implemented over here.

Edited by Puppeteer, 20 September 2008 - 08:27 PM.

#8 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:24 AM

Besides, the UK courts will still have power to overturn their decisions if they are ruled as too weird, unlawful or barbaric or any of that shit. So, you know, we should be OK. Unless the UK institutes Sharia law as the major law of the land, in which case so many of us would get so badly fucked....
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#9 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:20 PM

Fucking wankers. This government needs to be throw out. The lot of them, tories, liberals and labour. This is ridiculous. Its our country not people who emigrate here.

#10 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:59 AM

What would you suggest instead? An entirely new and inexperienced group of politicians working up from scratch in exactly the same mold? That's what it would be, and you know it. People would go back to what they had grown up with, and, as I assume from your response you would prefer to have entirely British rulings for Britain, that means you want people who remember Thatcher, Major, McMillan, any of the post-war PMs. Which will give us the same model we currently have, but slower and with fewer international contacts. The system cannot simply be overhauled, except of course by revolution. Feel like giving that a go? (Serious question there.)

#11 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:34 PM

Kacen, not everything that comes from the Middle East is all bad, get over it.

But still, whats with the Sharia? I guess it's to quell the Muslims down.

Edited by General Jenkins, 27 September 2008 - 02:37 PM.

#12 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:58 AM

Kacen, not everything that comes from the Middle East is all bad, get over it.

But still, whats with the Sharia? I guess it's to quell the Muslims down.

Bingo, you win. That's why muslims make noise, to get results. That is how a social insurgency works. Slowly make strides one pee pee step at a time.

It's the reason why Ukraine could lose Revpatoriya due to it's high abundance of Russians and the Russian Naval base at Sevastopal.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26297476/

#13 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

Boomers Disposable Minion

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  The Lurker-Turned-Poster-Turned-Lurker

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:22 AM

Fucking Muslims, vote BNP I say! So what if I'm a racist? At least I'm not a Muslim who advocated primitive solutions to disputes, such as execution. I don't brutalise women because evolution just happens to have given men (in general) more upper body strength... (it really is just that). Muslims are animals.

Fucking wankers. This government needs to be throw out. The lot of them, tories, liberals and labour. This is ridiculous. Its our country not people who emigrate here.

Yep. David Cameron especially, he seems about as slimy as Blair...

Shariah law is barbaric and should not be allowed or condoned in the west, or anywhere else for that matter.

Certainly is, Dostya.

To be honest, as long as they're not given power to rule on criminal cases and can be overruled by a British crown court decision, it's fine by me. I don't see why the Muslims shouldn't have their own court to settle minor disputes. If everyone comes out satisfied with the result, then where's the harm? Oh yeah, another 'as long as': as long as the general British public doesn't have to pay to support them.

Seems like there's a lot of "if's". I know there's a load of hoo hah over being tolerant and everything, but it's the first step on a slippery road that leads to Muslims being legally allowed to kill people who leave the religion, chop the heads off people who insult Islam, and an assortment of other barbaric punishments. Probably won't really happen, but I like being xenophobic!
Posted Image

#14 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:02 AM

I'm forced to agree, sadly. Except with regards to voting BNP. They would obliterate the dying remains of what was once a great and powerful nation and drag the name of the British people through the political mire, replacing it with a pile of arrogant, racist horseshit and trying to pass it off as freedom. If there's one thing that really pisses me off, it's people telling me I'm free when I can clearly see I'm not. If I were genuinely part of a free state, you wouldn't have to remind me. I'd have just pissed on the Prime Minister's front garden.

#15 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:56 PM

Fucking Muslims, vote BNP I say! So what if I'm a racist? At least I'm not a Muslim who advocated primitive solutions to disputes, such as execution. I don't brutalise women because evolution just happens to have given men (in general) more upper body strength... (it really is just that). Muslims are animals.

FINALLY, someone who thinks like me!

And no you are not a racist for hating Muslims, don't let the liberal trash get to you, Muslims are a religion, not a race.

Certainly is, Dostya.

Dostya out. :xd:

#16 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:23 PM

I've got nothing against any other race, or religion, but what annoys me is when people come to live here and change our way of life and laws. Why the fuck do people come here by their own choice and then want to change the place?!

Muslims are a religion, not a race.

Its Islam, not Muslim. Muslims are the followers.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#17 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:26 PM

And no you are not a racist for hating Muslims, don't let the liberal trash get to you, Muslims are a religion, not a race.

That's a tiny matter of semantics. Until you have a genuine personal reason to dislike each and every Muslim individually, you are prejudiced. Racism is a catch-all term used to denote unjust prejudices, of which you seem to have many. While technically Islam is a religion, not a race, most Muslims are of Arab descent. I daresay you're the sort of person who uses 'Arab' interchangeably with 'Muslim' and 'scum'. Assuming I'm right, you are racist, but I'm not about to go any further on that. The word has really lost all meaning these days. I'm going to settle on calling you a heavily prejudiced, intolerant, right-wing moron.

Calamity Jones, I don't know your beliefs well enough to contest them, but if they're as much like Kacen's as they seem, I apologise in advance for the verbal bashing you will someday receive. On second thoughts, no I don't. No apology is necessary for this.

#18 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:56 PM

Its Islam, not Muslim. Muslims are the followers.

You know what I mean you are just nitpicking because you cannot think of a valid rebuttal.

That's a tiny matter of semantics. Until you have a genuine personal reason to dislike each and every Muslim individually, you are prejudiced. Racism is a catch-all term used to denote unjust prejudices, of which you seem to have many. While technically Islam is a religion, not a race, most Muslims are of Arab descent. I daresay you're the sort of person who uses 'Arab' interchangeably with 'Muslim' and 'scum'. Assuming I'm right, you are racist, but I'm not about to go any further on that. The word has really lost all meaning these days. I'm going to settle on calling you a heavily prejudiced, intolerant, right-wing moron.

Not really personally I see a huge difference between hating a religion and hating a race; the latter is horrible and I will not condone it.

Also I do not use the word Arab interchangeably. Also actually roughly half of the Muslims in the world are not Arab, a huge chunk of them are Asian (Malaysian), though most Malaysians are half-assed enough I can tolerate them.

Racism implies I hate someone for their RACE, as in, genetics, and I would believe they are inferior. I do not believe, say, Arabs are intellectually inferior to whites.

If the majority of a racial group happens to be a member of a religion I hate that does not make me racist.

#19 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:30 PM

Agree with you there, Vortigern, the word racism is generic for predjudice race, religion etc. Anything cultural, I suppose, in that field.
Oh lord, not a Kacen II...

You know what I mean you are just nitpicking because you cannot think of a valid rebuttal.

I'm sorry, did you really just say that? So bending the definition of a word so you can try to pass off that you're not racist isn't nitpicking because you can't think of a valid arguement? That's rich...

Edited by Puppeteer, 06 October 2008 - 04:31 PM.

#20 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:30 PM

I smell hypocrisy!

Alright, fair enough, Kacen, you're not technically a racist. But you're still a prejudiced bastard, however you try and refute that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users