33 replies to this topic

#1 LadyRhiea

LadyRhiea

CPPB

• Project Team
  • 784 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:13 PM

I'm always curious how the fans of Tolkien's work would respond to having women fighting along men in Lord of the Rings. I just thought of it because when Peter Jackson gave Arwen more active roles in the movies, there were quite negative views on it, the whole warrior princess bizniz. And since I've always wanted additional heroines in BFME, I wanna see what other people has to say.

Posted Image

I'm not smoking anything, I'm just Japanese.

You guys better hope I don't get hired by EA one day, sorry, I meant interned for very low wages

#2 Shikari

Shikari

Allons-y!

• Project Team
  • 1,327 posts
  • Projects:RJ - RotWK
  •  2D Art

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:21 PM

I quite liked the fact that there were relatively few women mentioned, as it really highlighted Eowyn's bravery fighting when she was not expected to. Arwen I liked less, although I wouldn't say she was made out as a warrior princess, her role (as glorfindel) was heroic in a different way as she didn't actually physically fight in the films.
Adding more female heroes slightly devalues this in my opinion, but I'm not altogether against it.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#3 Ed Of The 3rd Kind

Ed Of The 3rd Kind

Edward Fitzgerald

• Hosted
  • 945 posts
  • Projects:Star Wars: TOTR/RJ-ROTWK/S.E.E.
  •  Modeller. Animator. Light Coding/Skinning

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:58 PM

I have to agree there, Tolkien wrote in the view of a medieval climate, whereby the attitude for a woman to go out and fight would have been utterly appaling, the fact Eowyn did, not only breaks the mold as such but also adds flavour to the story. Arwens character was a very weak one in the books compared to the movies where we get a further glimpse into her, we also get the view that she inspired Aragorn to fight which in itself could be describe as being as hero, under the archaic belief "behind every good man stands a strong woman"

Edited by Ed Of The 3rd Kind, 21 September 2008 - 05:58 PM.

Posted Image

#4 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK Mapping Team
  •  Loremaster

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:40 PM

Tolkien still believed in chivalry. For a woman to fight was a terrible thing to have to happen. He didn't think that they couldn't has evidenced by Eowyn, but that there were too good to fight. War was nasty and women were to fair and wonderful to lower themselves s much as to resort to violence. He thought that women should only fight if it was the last resort.

#5 ElrondHighLord

ElrondHighLord
  • Project Team
  • 92 posts
  • Projects:Wars of Arda Skinner, RJ Mod

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:12 AM

However, on the other hand from the Silmarillion, female fighters and war leaders appear to be more common astatedin the People of Middle Earth books, female elves were just as adapted to combat as male elves and were trained in the same way, see below:

In all such things, not concerned with the bringing forth of children, the neri and nissi (that is, the men and women) of the Eldar are equal – unless it be in this (as they themselves say) that for the nissi the making of things new is for the most part shown in the forming of their children, so that invention and change is otherwise mostly brought about by the neri. There are, however, no matters which among the Eldar only a nér can think or do, or others with which only a nís is concerned. There are indeed some differences between the natural inclinations of neri and nissi, and other differences that have been established by custom (varying in place and in time, and in the several races of the Eldar). For instance, the arts of healing, and all that touches on the care of the body, are among the Eldar most practised by the nissi; whereas it was the elven-men who bore arms at need. And the Eldar deemed that the dealing of death, even when lawful or under necessity, diminished the power of healing, and that the virtue of the nissi in this matter was due rather to their abstaining from hunting or war than to any special power that went with their womanhood. Indeed in dire straits or desperate defence, the nissi fought valiantly, and there was less difference in strength in speed between elven-men and elven-women that had not borne child that is seen among mortals. On the other hand many elven-men were great healers and skilled in the lore of living bodies, though such men abstained from hunting, and went not to war until the last need. (Morgoth's Ring, The Second Phase, Laws and Customs Among the Eldar)

And it appears that elven women and men were equal, yet the reason they fought less was because they were greater healers. However, in practise they through out the ages elven women went to war when necessary and arguably the eldar only went to war when necessary especially in the second and third ages. For instead, in the third ages the elves went to war fewer times, and yet Galadriel took part a number of parts, including the expulsion of the Necromancer from Dol Guldor, taken command in the assaults on Lorien and the final part of Dol Guldur, where she lay bare the pits and cleansed the forest as Luthien had done on Tol in Gauroth. She was also a member of the White council and considered the most powerful and strongest eldar of the third age. All this suggests Combat prowess, yet it is true to not go to Dol Guldor unarmoured or unarmed even though she may use her magical powers mainly, as she had taken part in too many wars and to therefore suggest her main weapon would have been magic as Luthien's had been.

Ohter notably women rangers/ warriors are Aredhel Ar Ferniel, Idril Celebrindal, Luthien Tinuviel and there are other Eldar women who would have fought as a last resort such as Nimloth, Nellas in the fall of Doriath.

Idril is probably the most notable actually combat prowess warrior, as Tolkien wrote her as being armed and armoured as well as describing her to use as sword, hadhathang which is where the inspiration of arwen's balde hadhafang comes from. Idril lead the refugees from Gondolin and it in the Lost Tales book, was faced with fighting the Balrog( the task would have fallen to her), if Glorfindel was not present. Overall, it appears that due to the nature of the Eldar elven women went to war when necessary as it is written that the ( elves would not take up arms hastily, excluding Feanor host who were bound by oath, yet once armed their resolve were unbroken)

I am going to have to continue late as I am only half way througjh, but am already really late sorry

#6 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:27 PM

That is the Eldar, I assumed that she was asking about women.

#7 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:46 PM

Women being human, but I think Rhiea meant females in general. Humanoid I think

#8 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:02 PM

good thing PJ didn't take Arwen to Helm's Deep as he had plans for... ;)

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#9 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:11 PM

"No man can kill me."
"I am no man!" *Smack! *Boom! *Shrivel. "Sweet."

That sums it up.

#10 andrej

andrej
  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:13 PM

hehe:D

“On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.” Ayrton Senna

#11 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope
  •  One who is not afraid of new challenges

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:19 PM

"No man can kill me."
"I am no man!" *Smack! *Boom! *Shrivel. "Sweet."

That sums it up.

Hell yeah! ;)

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#12 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

Let's not bother disputing that, it's been disputed far too much :D

#13 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:50 AM

All of what's been said is pretty much true...though, the Wainriders that conquered Rhovanion in the Third Age of the Sun trained their young women to fight alongside the old men and youths in defense of their homes; they were very valiant, beating down the rebellion of the Northmen.

#14 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:47 PM

Well if your army if filled with a bunch of old geasers, you wouldn't have a choice but to train a few young women since all your men have prostate cancer.

#15 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:09 PM

Well for evil sides it is a different matter.

#16 Vithar-133

Vithar-133

Violent Gandhi

• Project Team
  • 1,975 posts
  • Projects:Existing
  •  It's not your skill, boys. It's your will. Ooh-rah!

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:18 AM

In Middle Earth, it seems that the tolerance of whether or not women fought depends upon race...

In Mediaeval Earth, it was dependent on your homeland and/or the code you followed.

If you were in Europe and you were a knight, you'd follow Chivalry. In the view of Chivalry, women were seen as weak creatures to be idolized and defended. (This particular view seems to have taken on a bit of a stereotype, in that men generally view women as weaker than themselves, but men don't defend or idolize them much anymore...)

If you were in Japan and you were a samurai, or you followed Bushido, then you expected women to live up to the same values of honour and courage.

In my opinion, the fact that females in general have a more restricted combat role than do the males fits the time period perfectly.

Personally, I feel that women can be as skilled as, if not more than, men in combat.

Edited by Vithar Megilaglar, 24 September 2008 - 02:32 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 Hasfusel

Hasfusel

title available

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:48 PM

I think that the Elves should have more female units because they see both men and women as equal; my commendations for the Healer and Arwen's Maidens.
Maybe you could do a Rohan Shield Maiden battallion...?

This will prove to the world that women are equal to men!

*all laugh*

Edited by Hasfusel, 24 September 2008 - 03:50 PM.

#18 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

It isn't that he thought women weren't good enough to fight it is that they were too good to fight. They were beautiful wonderful things that shouldn't have to be stained by vileness of war.

#19 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:17 PM

I think that the Elves should have more female units because they see both men and women as equal; my commendations for the Healer and Arwen's Maidens.
Maybe you could do a Rohan Shield Maiden battallion...?

This will prove to the world that women are equal to men!

For elves, both men and women fight because no-one can tell them apart.

#20 Hasfusel

Hasfusel

title available

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:37 PM

Perhaps women could do increased damaged to wraithes? Or maybe units such as the Witch-King should have increased armour against male units.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users