Cyberian Dawn

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#1 NCoder

NCoder

Revora's inofficial but obligatory Cyborg Samurai Commander

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • Projects:Cyberian Dawn (formerly known as RealAlert)
  •  Perpetual token newbie

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

Hello everybody! I'm new to this forum. I've been modding Red Alert 2 for some time now, and i would like to share my new mod here. Hoping to get hosted, I will now present some things that will be in the mod:

The mod is about giving Red Alert a more real-life touch. Way too SF technologies are removed from the game. Instead, totally new features are in the game. Allies, Russians and the "Brotherhood" (Al-Quaeda / Muslim Brotherhood) battle for domination.

Posted Image
This is Black Commando (elite) Tanya icon.

Posted Image
Loadscreen for Lybia (Islamic ("Bortherhood") nation).

Things I have removed:
  • Tesla technology
  • Mirage tanks
  • Chrono technology
  • Weather control
  • Squids
  • Mind Control
  • Prism/laser technology (was reduced to CIWS weapons)
  • The country-specific units. Partly have been deleted or become common units for one of the sides.

Edited by NCoder, 04 October 2008 - 03:23 PM.

Posted Image

#2 FallenDwarf

FallenDwarf

title available

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:11 PM

There is MO Iron Dragon. U have premision?
Posted Image

#3 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:12 PM

I would suggest using another name for your mod, Real Alert has been used several times already.

I presume this mod is for RA2 & not YR?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 NCoder

NCoder

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:31 PM

There is MO Iron Dragon. U have premision?

Well, since I'm not going to use the unit in teh mod, because I am removing all country specials and the picture on the loadscreen was taken from a screenshot, I don't think it's ripping, right? I never touched the voxel itself, I just thought it would look cool to take it from the screenshot. It will not be in the final mod.

I would suggest using another name for your mod, Real Alert has been used several times already.

I presume this mod is for RA2 & not YR?

AaAaArg! Whatever I do on this forum, it ends me up being a copycat! First my nick (NCoder <-> DCoder), now the mod's name...

Posted Image
icon for buildable russian orthodox church.

Posted Image
loadscreen for Russians. The St. Basil's Cathedral from the game replaces the side-specific unit picture. I want the loadscreens to show a "cultural symbol" of their nation instead of the now-removed country units. Brotherhood will get a Mosque.

Edited by NCoder, 27 September 2008 - 03:02 PM.

Posted Image

#5 NCoder

NCoder

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:55 PM

New screenshot:

Posted Image
A-10 Support Plane napalm strike.

Posted Image
Romanov's elite Black Guard Apocalypse which are used to protect his Kremlin. These tanks fire the same weapon as an elite Apocalypse when normal, and fire six nuclear shells when Elite. There is hardly anything on the ground that can withstand their firepower. Unlike the Apocalypse Tanks' missiles, this tank uses a gattling gun to defend against aerial threats. While the gattling is more powerful than the missiles because of its faster rate of fire, it is not that much of an improvement over the missile-based system, and airstrikes seem a viable method of taking it out.

Posted Image
A 'conventional' (not nculear) Bomb Truck exploding.

Posted Image
Soviet anti-submarine heli
This helicopter launches showers of inaccurate depth charges that explode with a timer, doing great damage.

Posted Image

Posted Image
World map. Blue denotes allied control, Red soviet. Puple means these zones are fought over, which hints to possible mission locations of a possible campaign...
  • Brazil
  • Morroco
  • Finland
  • Poland
  • Tunisia
  • Korean peninsula
  • Taiwan
  • Sakhalin island

Edited by NCoder, 28 September 2008 - 03:18 PM.

Posted Image

#6 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:10 PM

Unoriginal, retarded weaponry and a wannabe Lefthand world map.

Great start.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 Apollo

Apollo

The bringer of doom

• Hosted
  • 3,467 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm, Project Phantom
  •  1337 Modder

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:17 PM

You might as well name the mod "Nuke Alert" like usual N00bs without creativity would... :ninja:

oh right...N in your nick is for N00b i bet. :p
Posted Image

EAApoc wrote:
The only written law in a C&C game I ever saw is please Mr.Developer make it fun and give me a lot of **** to explode, o and don't you ever get another soul to play Kane but Joe Kucan. Aside from those two rules, all bets are off =) hehe
-APOC

#8 NCoder

NCoder

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:40 PM

Great start.

Thank you! But what is "wannabe lefthand world map"? I took the map from the forum of the online game "NationStates". I do know that it isn't my original work, but it is public, so what is wrong about using it?

You might as well name the mod "Nuke Alert" like usual N00bs without creativity would... :rolleyes:

oh right...N in your nick is for N00b i bet. :shiftee:

Oh, ok. It was meant to mean "Encoder", but ok, it'll be N00bCoder for you, then. If you want me to start posting obsecene insults now, you won't get me there so easily.

And btw, I do get a slight feeling of you two being quite a bit mean to me from the start. Haven't we all been new to this business once?
Couldn't you just give me constructive criticism instead of newbie-bashing?

EDIT: oooooohhhhhh, NOW I get it! You're jealous about my nice loadscreens, which I did in 4 - 5 minutes, without ever having practiced! Is it that, yes! Ohhhh, you jealous jelly-beans.... GYAHAHAHA... :crazed:
/edit

Edited by NCoder, 28 September 2008 - 05:45 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Apollo

Apollo

The bringer of doom

• Hosted
  • 3,467 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm, Project Phantom
  •  1337 Modder

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:49 PM

Correction, you thinked up this "mod" of yours in those 4-5 minutes and copy pasted the pics to those loading screens in like minute or two.

you want constructive feedback? think up better ideas as current are plain and undefined and you've thrown the more unique things out of original without replacing them effectively making it more boring which means, you need total overhaul to get feeling of fresh than just settle for cutting things out and call it a mod.

Then you gotta adjust lighting of a lot things if you really want realism fully as light is normally set to cartoony levels.

not only that you are showcasing pictures of debris filled screens trying show off but most better coders know DAMN WELL that it makes game LAG BAD!

then theres this "Jarmen Kell", you got lack of creativity? if you do then modding may not be your thing as least people are interested in some re-hash of something they seen in other game already and in this case it is C&C: Generals...

oh right the russian church...yes the great soviet military is gonna build cathedral churches on the field. Comrade!!! The foolish allied pigs will never suspect this cathedral, in our great thinking we have hidden nuclear missile on it we are SOOO CREATIVE No??? General: You need more vodka comrade!

long story short, you should do some field recon of mods to get idea of expectations these days before you jump announce 2-5 min thought mods and if you think this is mean already, you don't know this community at ALL but you will in due time as if this was PPM (ppmsite.com) you'd been flamed to death already for this intro most likely.

Edited by Apollo, 28 September 2008 - 06:52 PM.

Posted Image

EAApoc wrote:
The only written law in a C&C game I ever saw is please Mr.Developer make it fun and give me a lot of **** to explode, o and don't you ever get another soul to play Kane but Joe Kucan. Aside from those two rules, all bets are off =) hehe
-APOC

#10 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:50 PM

LOOKS cool, but does it play well? That's always the question.

Hello everyone. I am back.

#11 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:55 PM

Thank you!

Unfortunately I was being sarcastic.

But what is "wannabe lefthand world map"? I took the map from the forum of the online game "NationStates". I do know that it isn't my original work, but it is public, so what is wrong about using it?

This is Lefthands map:

Posted Image

Haven't we all been new to this business once?

Well from personal experience I never created anything like this when I first started...

Although the idea was definately a lame and overused one, it never had any huge unbelievable debris spawning weapons, massive flame strikes or Generals characters.

Posted Image

#12 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  • Projects:AGSA
  •  Modder

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:40 PM

The terrorist muslim thing was kinda random. It can be done in a very cool manner but this is somewhat amateurish in comparison.

The lag (bomb) truck just made me >_> if your not aware of it already, debris lags the game especially when you spawning 20+ pieces, shudders when multiple trucks go off during online play which is what any good mod should attain to be.

Your ASW hind is using the rotors as shadow, its like you couldn't be bothered to look at siege helicopter/nighthawk art code.

Some overpowered apoc which is from final ra2 mission and some random st basil civ building.

You either make a mod which looks very good graphically or is original to play or if you are lucky you have both.

How many mods do you think there has been "real" technology? Why is your universe even set with Romanov still around even though you removed pratically all the RA1 tech and interesting gameplay options of the original game?

If you want a realistic mod, go for a total conversion not a easy ini code fix.

I'm sorry but no-one is that super interested about this.

Finally its also unclear if this is a RA2 only mod or YR mod.
Posted Image

#13 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:48 PM

I am frankly shocked that two of the Guilds high ranking modders would lower themselves to such n00b bashing. Just let him get on with it & see what happens.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:16 AM

yeah, i was surprised too...

but one thing i will definatly agree with is, the removing of the cool technology = bad

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 lefthand

lefthand

Free Agent

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • Projects:Black Alert
  •  Propagandist

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:32 AM

I’ll probably regret saying this later because it is just going it’s going to totally derail this thread…so here it goes; I honestly don’t see what is so encouraging about typing up hateful, spiteful and pessimistic messages that lack any elements of criticism.
I don’t want to kinder a flame war so I will add some constructive criticism to fill the lack of it here.

1. Real Alert has been used before…I think. If you want to use it that is fine but I would suggest another name. It is just going to confuse a lot of members who think your mod is either a continuation of someone else’s or entirely another mod.

2. I think SF really makes a mod unique…and makes CNC in general unique because the CNC universe is centered around “possibilities”…no matter how off the wall they maybe. Cutting Tesla, prism and other experimental technologies is going to make coming up with replacement units difficult but it is your choice also.

3. Stay away from overpowering units. The more overpowered something is the less likely anyone will bother to make anything else, it spoils players and it is a waste of time for you to code something that won’t be used. You should force the player to use as many units, structures and soldiers as possible because this element alone makes a game enjoyable. I would suggestion each unit should have two distinguishable perks/functions/problems. If you are going to make a tank like this…
Posted Image
So overpowered, then you really need to concentrate on under powering it to.
Posted Image

#16 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  • Projects:AGSA
  •  Modder

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:22 AM

1. Real Alert has been used before…I think. If you want to use it that is fine but I would suggest another name. It is just going to confuse a lot of members who think your mod is either a continuation of someone else’s or entirely another mod.

NCoder please check hosted Revora Modifications before posting

http://forums.revora...?showforum=1636

Also check this in regards to using other peoples work (be it just a screenshot or otherwise)

http://forums.revora...showtopic=30323
Posted Image

#17 NCoder

NCoder

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:12 PM

Ok, first thing, I will remove the loadscreen which contain the screenshot.
Second, I will think of new name for the mod.
Posted Image

#18 NCoder

NCoder

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:41 PM

Correction, you thinked up this "mod" of yours in those 4-5 minutes and copy pasted the pics to those loading screens in like minute or two.

1 or 2 minutes? No, I'm sorry, even my unsurpassed talent in loadscreen making is not sufficient for that, but thank you anyway.

Then you gotta adjust lighting of a lot things if you really want realism fully as light is normally set to cartoony levels.

Hmmmm, sound interesting! How do I? Is something to do with InfantryExtraLight and stuff?

not only that you are showcasing pictures of debris filled screens trying show off but most better coders know DAMN WELL that it makes game LAG BAD!

If you've got a lame PC, yes. No, just kidding! Actually, the game slowed down, but far less than I had expexted. Not more than if you place lots of buildings with ActiveAnims into your screen. It is still playable. But, actually, I'm still working on the code (after all, this mod is just taking its first steps), and you won't see these problems in the release.

then theres this "Jarmen Kell", you got lack of creativity? if you do then modding may not be your thing as least people are interested in some re-hash of something they seen in other game already and in this case it is C&C: Generals...

... it was just a concept thing. I didn't intend to put him in... his name does not even sound very arabian...

oh right the russian church...yes the great soviet military is gonna build cathedral churches on the field. Comrade!!! The foolish allied pigs will never suspect this cathedral, in our great thinking we have hidden nuclear missile on it we are SOOO CREATIVE No??? General: You need more vodka comrade!

Well, actually, I am thinking about a mod that work like Civilizations, Empire Earthor Age of Empires - you don't play as just a military comander, nut you play as a civilization. Churches will have some function, for example, medical personell may be trained from them them or something like that. Mainly, I thought the cameo to cool to let the opportunity pass to show it...

The terrorist muslim thing was kinda random. It can be done in a very cool manner but this is somewhat amateurish in comparison.

Que? I haven't posted single thing about Brotherhood yet, except for some cameos and a loadscreen! And side is still under development.

The lag (bomb) truck just made me >_> if your not aware of it already, debris lags the game especially when you spawning 20+ pieces, shudders when multiple trucks go off during online play which is what any good mod should attain to be.

See above.

Your ASW hind is using the rotors as shadow, its like you couldn't be bothered to look at siege helicopter/nighthawk art code.

Yes, I have fixed that. The ShadowIndex was set to 1 from a voxel I was using before, and when I moved the new voxel, which had a different order of main body and rotor, into the mix, I forgot to adjust the ShadowIndex.

Some overpowered apoc which is from final ra2 mission and some random st basil civ building.

The Black Guard Apocalypse in the mission was a regular Apocalypse remapped to black. This one is black, just as a side note. But, again, I will fix overpowered weapons, perhaps will become dual railgun (either black, red or dark blue), and small railgun CIWS.
Do you remember giant cyborg super-unit in Firestorm which protected Cabal's Core? Black Apocalypse is like this, for missions, a superunit of which some will hang around Kremlin & and you have to get past them to destroy / capture Kremlin. Never intended as regular unit.

But in case I make it buildable (as hero unit with BuildLimit 1), if have an idea on how to give it a handicap: Firepower from the dual railgun will stress the unit's structure so much that each shot it fires will damage the tank considerably. It will have CanPassiveAquire=no and you have to choose wisely were to direct its firepower. Sound good?

How many mods do you think there has been "real" technology? Why is your universe even set with Romanov still around even though you removed pratically all the RA1 tech and interesting gameplay options of the original game?

Think of it as just another timeline... do you know game "World War Zero". It is like I intend Russia to be in my mod. A Russian superpower-civilization, not necessarily soviet. But you are right... Romanov was still in as a filler, but ultimately, I wanted to remove him as well, and replace by some Russian nationalist leader (or maybe even real-life Vladimir Putin or something).

More stuff for you to bash:
Posted Image

So Allies special technology is Radar Jammer, which is, in effect, indistinguishable from RA2's original Gap Generator, but affects your own Radar too! Jammer post has small radius, so you can decide for each position of your base wether is you want to jam radar at the location for the tradeoff of jamming your own radar.

Soviet have Artillery Yard (name still need to be worked on), which will produce Artillery units (maybe they get Advanced Factory or something like this for all of their heavy units). So if you build V3 Launcher or other advanced unit, it will come from your Artillery Yard, not normal factory (has this been done before that you produce different types of vehicles from different buildings? No, it hasn't be done before? Why? Always you make all units of infantry, vehicle (except for vessel) and aircraft come from one building, but would, for example be better if you make Sub come from Sub Pen, but ship from Naval Yard, right? And plane from Airfield, but helicopter from Helipad. Soldier from Barracks, but dogs from Dog Kennel. Well, you get the idea. So I will do.

Brotherhood has Chemical Weapons Facility (which is still lacking cameo). It holds the Brotherhood's SW, which will be half-way between Scud storm from Generals and Chemical Missile from TS. Also provdes Chemical technology.

Then, you can see StolenTech units:
[1] When you steal Allied tech, each side's special unit gains Stealth ability.
[2] When you steal Soviet tech, unit gains skills for defeat fortification - it will be able to move past defenses, but not by Chrono move, but something else, which I'm not telling right now...
[3] Steal Brotherhood tech, and unit gains chemical weaponry.

Oh, and...:

Thank you!

Unfortunately I was being sarcastic.

Yes, I know. Me too.

(You must think me a very retarded shmuck, thinking I wouldn't have noticed. But it doesn't matter. Apparently you didn't notice that I was... :good: )

Edited by NCoder, 29 September 2008 - 07:04 PM.

Posted Image

#19 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

(You must think me a very retarded shmuck, thinking I wouldn't have noticed. But it doesn't matter. Apparently you didn't notice that I was... :good: )

Apparently. :p

Also I dont think calling this side "Brotherhood" will bring you any points. Sounds too related to Nod... even if its meant to be...

Posted Image

#20 NCoder

NCoder

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

Hmmm... that's a bit deeper. Actually, on the surface, of course, it's a reference to Nod - which happens to be a group centered around ancient egyptian symbolism. But, on another level, do you know what was the precursor to Al-Quaeda in real life? It was an organization called "Muslim Brotherhood" - which happened to originate from Egypt. Brotherhood also sounds more catchy and commonplace than something specialized like Al-Quaeda. I'm open to suggestions, if you find a better name. After all, I'm just carving out the concepts right now.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users