The new Gollum system = meh

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 verd

verd
  • Banned
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

i find him skulking around near one of my farms so i kill him, take the ring and bring it back to the fortress - and a few seconds later when my attention is elsewhere he's teleported literally right outside my front door, strolled through my base and taken the ring back - and then ends up getting his dumb ass killed by the CPU a few minutes later - so they end up with the ring

can we at least get some sort of warning that he's going to take the ring back before he's already walked right past your defence and stolen it :p

plus - he seems to show up very rarely - maybe make it easier for Ringwraiths to spot him or something

i hate gollum :mellow:

other than that though - incredible mod :unsure:

Edited by Nazgûl, 31 January 2009 - 04:59 PM.

#2 aNaRcHiSt44

aNaRcHiSt44
  • Members
  • 94 posts
  • Projects:Nothin.... XD LAZINESS RULES!!
  •  Member? Whatev

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:42 AM

It depends on his spawn point really....this mod focuses on a steady building up of defence then a massive end-game assault. So to solve your problem, build walls, or if the faction doesnt have walls, build lots of towers and give your fortress defensive upgrades. Just keep an eye out :mellow: like in the Minas Morgul map he spawns right on the centre of the bridge, so if you can figure out where he spawns then just assign a random hero to keep him there.
After all this time, I decided I'd start playing BFME 2 again; after all, it's one of the few games I keep coming back to.....even three-four years after it was made.....
Anyway, my computer has been upgraded; it's just a graphics card, but it's a HD Radeon 4870. How's that for gaming love? I can run Crysis on high at 60fps, maybe at highest (I haven't checked) and the rest of my computer is still actually pretty good; so I'm happy.

Anarchy is so stupid......see IM A REBEL!

Im a lover of footy now, and I can't wait to watch Jarryd Hayne the superhuman and Fuifui Moimoi the tongan bulldozer play in the Four Nations cup. WOOT Hindmarsh is gonna play for Australia now, even with a broken shoulder! Woot he's crazy.

#3 zachdaddy_3000

zachdaddy_3000

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

• Project Team
  • 580 posts
  • Projects:Nazgul's BFMEII: Special Extended Edition

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:23 AM

The New Gollum system took our (what I can only assume) ex-coder Sul a lot of time and effort to get done, so I don't know if anything will really be changed about that system. It was Sul and Naz's belief that Gollum be well hidden from both sides. So he is usually very stealthed and only appears rarely. So I'm pretty sure he was not spawned right next to your fortress, but he actually "snuck-up" on you, which happens if you don't have some kind of stealth detection system going (such as MotW's tower upgrade, Isengard and Moria's crows upgrade, etc.), which I believe, is a very cool thing (it always keeps you on your toes!). But remember, if you find Gollum after the enemy has the ring in their fortress (whilst Gollum is in his "ring-seeking" mode), you can damage him (I like to use an eagle, any flying animal will do, because it's the fastest way to get to him after you find him) and you will be able to control him, then YOU can use him to go to the enemy fortress and have him "attack" the fortress, then he will take the ring from them! Although you'll have to find him again in order to take the ring a second time, you are stopping the enemy from making their ring hero, which is very good for you! So, don't be too quick to judge one's coding, for there may be a lot more time and effort going into things than you realize. :mellow:

Edited by zachdaddy_3000, 05 October 2008 - 04:25 AM.

Do not come between a Zach and his........Zach?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 SovietSoldier

SovietSoldier

Mapper,Begginer Modeler and Animator

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • Projects:World Builder Battle Of the Crater Map BFME2

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:45 PM

but I got the ring,and when I got the ring,and summoned the Ring Hero,Gollum suddenly got in my team?what happened?
What is the motherland,when you know you weren't born of land?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 zachdaddy_3000

zachdaddy_3000

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

• Project Team
  • 580 posts
  • Projects:Nazgul's BFMEII: Special Extended Edition

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:46 PM

Well, even after a ring hero is spawned, Gollum is still around, looking for his precious (the guy NEVER gives up! :D ). So you can still damage him and have him on your team, for he swears to obey the master of the precious. There is an occasional bug where Gollum respawns with yet ANOTHER ring, so just be sure to watch out for that, because I have been in plenty of Galadriel vs. Sauron battles, and I gotta tell ya, Galadriel ain't got sh*t on Sauron. :xcahik_:
Do not come between a Zach and his........Zach?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 aNaRcHiSt44

aNaRcHiSt44
  • Members
  • 94 posts
  •  Member? Whatev

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:56 PM

Well, even after a ring hero is spawned, Gollum is still around, looking for his precious (the guy NEVER gives up! :p ). So you can still damage him and have him on your team, for he swears to obey the master of the precious. There is an occasional bug where Gollum respawns with yet ANOTHER ring, so just be sure to watch out for that, because I have been in plenty of Galadriel vs. Sauron battles, and I gotta tell ya, Galadriel ain't got sh*t on Sauron. :xd:

Heehee; obviously :p
Galadriel sucks a**e compared to Sauron heehee.
After all this time, I decided I'd start playing BFME 2 again; after all, it's one of the few games I keep coming back to.....even three-four years after it was made.....
Anyway, my computer has been upgraded; it's just a graphics card, but it's a HD Radeon 4870. How's that for gaming love? I can run Crysis on high at 60fps, maybe at highest (I haven't checked) and the rest of my computer is still actually pretty good; so I'm happy.

Im a lover of footy now, and I can't wait to watch Jarryd Hayne the superhuman and Fuifui Moimoi the tongan bulldozer play in the Four Nations cup. WOOT Hindmarsh is gonna play for Australia now, even with a broken shoulder! Woot he's crazy.

#7 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:11 AM

I believe there is the option to not use ring heroes altogether, in case someone just hates the system (and the occasional coding malfunction i tried everything to fix but just couldn't find).

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#8 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,561 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

I love the Gollum system and it will stay. If nothing else, there's no way I can "uncode" it :grin: lol

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#9 aNaRcHiSt44

aNaRcHiSt44
  • Members
  • 94 posts
  •  Member? Whatev

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:00 PM

Heehee too true mate :grin:

#10 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,561 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

There is an occasional bug where Gollum respawns with yet ANOTHER ring...

This is the "only" known bug in this system though, right?

@Sûl: Shouldn't it be possible to simply allow only 1 Gollum in game, using the MaxSimultaneousOfType limit?

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#11 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:25 PM

But there are two types. Ant they cannot be equivalent, or the removal of one doesn't work.

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#12 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,561 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:31 PM

Ah yeah... hm, well luckily it doesn't happen that often

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#13 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

I dunno I ve had it happen in quite a few of my games. maybe it can be scripted in so that if one exists then the other cant.

#14 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

I have been thinking the same thing. Doesn't really work though. Only for single player can the scripts be used for object creation/deletion and the like. For multiplayer, only AI related stuff (object this do that) or visual/audio stuff like music can be done. I could make the AI cause units to fire already existing weapons, but the codes do that already and are more reliable than scripts in this regard. But maybe that's where the error is. The codes could possibly fire the deletion weapons too fast or too slow. I will experiment with the delay.... :p

#15 witchkingshour

witchkingshour
  • Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:48 PM

Problem is as well if you get the ring beginning of game, really takes a while to get the dark lord or elf queen because they cost around 13,000... But if you do get them out, with an army it's game over.
"The world of Men will fall"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users