Photo

The Battle of Five Armies

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt. Angel

Sgt. Angel
  • Project Team
  • 106 posts
  • Projects:The Battle of Five Armies beta4.7, RJ-RotWK and the Narnia mod for BFME 1
  •  The mapper behind the Battle of Five Armies beta4.7 =D

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

Hello everybody, a quick introduction: my name is Sgt. Angel and I am a mapper for the BFME II and RotWK games. I have made many different maps which over time I am perfecting and plan to release on T3A each time they are done, and even then I'll keep on making them better and releasing new versions! I have created this thread so that anybody who wishes to make comments, suggestions or even inform me of any problems that they may have with my first and best release, the Battle of Five Armies beta4.6, can be put here. I will also be uploading images and previews of any new and upcoming maps that I am making as they get closer to their release time on this thread, so keep an eye open! :p

Thanks
Sgt. Angel
Your signature has been removed because it was far too big and you failed to act upon the request to resize it - DLotS

#2 Prince of the Dark Forest

Prince of the Dark Forest
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:44 PM

Hello everybody, a quick introduction: my name is Sgt. Angel and I am a mapper for the BFME II and RotWK games. I have made many different maps which over time I am perfecting and plan to release on T3A each time they are done, and even then I'll keep on making them better and releasing new versions! I have created this thread so that anybody who wishes to make comments, suggestions or even inform me of any problems that they may have with my first and best release, the Battle of Five Armies beta4.6, can be put here. I will also be uploading images and previews of any new and upcoming maps that I am making as they get closer to their release time on this thread, so keep an eye open! :p

Thanks
Sgt. Angel

Hi!

Do you have any screens of your map? Is it scripted and everything?
Ignited into the world in a flash of lightning, it gleams faintly in the heart of its mother, wood. It begins as an ember, a mere wisp of heat and colour. Its chance of survival at this critical moment is minute, yet it fights on, against the unforgiving cold, against the depths of night and against its mortal enemy: rain.

#3 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

A man who used to be here

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:33 PM

It's kinda hard to post up any problems with your map when we don't know where to download it. :p

at any rate, it sounds cool! :p

#4 Lurtzy

Lurtzy

Forerunner

• Project Team
  • 1,169 posts
  • Projects:Returning to modding

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:10 AM

You can download it at T3A.

Edited by Lurtz101, 31 October 2008 - 12:10 AM.

Trying to hold on...

#5 Sgt. Angel

Sgt. Angel
  • Project Team
  • 106 posts
  • Projects:The Battle of Five Armies beta4.7, RJ-RotWK and the Narnia mod for BFME 1

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:52 AM

Hi!

Do you have any screens of your map? Is it scripted and everything?

Images you say? I'll post some right here in a sec, just got to go and take some first - might take a couple of vids too if anyone likes!
As to scripting... I've just started work on that yesterday, it'll be fully implamented into the beta4.7 BFME II and RotWK versions (that will be coming out in December, btw, if all goes to plan with the SEE mod's next beta release :p ) The map is still fully playable and has no problems whatsoever gameplay-wise, the only reason I'm putting any scripting in it at all is so that certain units can appear at certain times during the battle, or else I wouldn't bother... but I'm a big 'The Hobbit' fan and a Tolkien fan so I'm going to go ahead and script it just to make the map even more perfect then it is now!

My current uploaded versions of the map are:
BFME II beta4.5 version
BFME II beta4.6 version - recently updated
RotWK beta4.6 version
BFME II beta4.6 multiplayer version
RotWK beta4.6 multiplayer version

with new multiplayer versions to come with beta4.7! :)

It's kinda hard to post up any problems with your map when we don't know where to download it.

at any rate, it sounds cool!

All downloads are located at T3A, like Lurtz said. Thanks for saying it's cool, I hope you enjoy playing on it if you download it!
Posting up problems is good as I can fix them with each new beta version... also if people want to see something on the map that isn't there already then they can suggest that sort stuff to me too.

thanks everybody
Sgt. Angel

Edit: here's a couple of in-game shots taken using the RotWK beta4.6 version... :) If you want to see more, then feel free to download the map :p
Menu_screen.JPG
The menu screen
The_Elfking_and_Gandalf_at_the_camp.JPG
The Elfking and Gandalf at the southern camp
Bard_the_Dragonslayer.JPG
Bard the Dragonslayer
The_Goblin_forces_attack.JPG
The Goblins attack! (and this is only the first wave ^_^)
The_Dwarves_break_through_to_Bolg_s_bodyguard.JPG
The Dwarves break through to Bolg's bodyguard

Enjoy! ^_^

Edited by Sgt. Angel, 31 October 2008 - 05:46 AM.

Your signature has been removed because it was far too big and you failed to act upon the request to resize it - DLotS

#6 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

*drools* Man, that is sweet! I'll definitely be downloading it!

Which version do you recommend? I have both BFME II and ROTWK.

#7 Erucenindë

Erucenindë
  • Members
  • 82 posts
  • Projects:Mapper for the Battles of Narnia mod for BFME1
  •  Gollum Impersonater *gollum* Yes, Precious.

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:13 PM

looks interesting. i will have to look into this.

Posted Image

*gollum*

#8 Sgt. Angel

Sgt. Angel
  • Project Team
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:00 PM

WOAH WOAH WOAH wait a sec, Jeth, you're working on a Narnia mod for the Battle for Middle Earth games?!? :sad: That is so awesome! ;) I was named after a character in one of the books :crazed: ever since I got told about it they've been my fave series of books and films after Tolkein. I'd like to come have a look at your mod sometime!

As an answer to everyone's comments... :mellow:

*drools* Man, that is sweet! I'll definitely be downloading it!

Which version do you recommend? I have both BFME II and ROTWK.

Ha ha! Thanks. It's like my greatest creation, this map :p

As to versions, I reccomend the RotWK version since it's the most Tolkien-accurate representation of the battle due to the added units etc. I would have released the map ONLY for the RotWK due to this but I thought that there might be people wanting to play it who only have BFME II as well so I made versions that are compatable with that game as well.

The RotWK multiplayer version runs a bit smoother then the BFME II version, though I don't know why, so that's worth looking into too. But BFME II players still have a multiplayer version of their very own! If enough people request it then I may make a map called 'The Lonely Mountain' which is ONLY the map and no units so that it's just like a normal multiplayer map, but, like I said, that's only if people request it.

Btw people, with the multiplayer version, I have made a Hamachi network specially for games with the map built in, called 'The Battle of Five Armies'. It's password is 'Angel'.

looks interesting. i will have to look into this.

Indeed you will :crazed: enjoy!

Sgt. Angel

#9 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:19 AM

Does it have an installer? :sad: I have bad experiences with trying to install stuff manually. Grrr. ;)
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#10 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:46 AM

Yep, I'm doing a Narnia mod. :p And lots of people are sharing your enthusiasm. Actual progress is slow right now (due to several reasons) but maybe soon we'll be hosted! :sad:

My Narnia pic is clicky, and it goes directly to the thread about the mod. Click, and read up! ;)

map downloaded. will play it the first chance i get!

#11 Sgt. Angel

Sgt. Angel
  • Project Team
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:05 AM

Does it have an installer? I have bad experiences with trying to install stuff manually. Grrr.

Nope, but it has a magical README with detailed instructions on how to install it! :sad: You cannot fall from the road of victory with such a great technological masterpiece at your aid!

Yep, I'm doing a Narnia mod. And lots of people are sharing your enthusiasm. Actual progress is slow right now (due to several reasons) but maybe soon we'll be hosted!

Hope so! You probably will be, I took a look at the mod earlier (I think it's AWESOME!!! I'd love to help you map that if there's any spaces available!) and I think it's well up to the standard of most other mods here. One question though, will Prince Caspian be in it?
Edit: dw, I just read through your topic again, question answered! ;)

map downloaded. will play it the first chance i get!

I hope you enjoy it! Look out for a new updated version of beta4.6 RotWK which is coming out at about 12.30PM New Zealand time tonight, it improves the look of the terrain and the look of Bolg's bodyguard on the RotWK version, amongst other things!

Sgt. Angel

Edit: Final RotWK beta4.6 map and multiplayer version now uploaded on T3A! Replace the previous version, as it is now outdated and the new version is more closer to the descriptions of the battle in the book and is easier to use. Download and enjoy! :p

Oh btw, I almost forgot, I made some sig. pictures for the map's fans (and me) - take a look below and tell me what you think! Also if someone could tell me how to add them to my sig i'd also be very grateful as I'm a bit stuck on that one :crazed:
Map_Creator.JPG
For me...
Player___Fan.JPG
...and for the fans! :crazed:

Some quick images taken while using the new RotWK beta4.6:
Bilbo_Baggins.JPG
Bilbo Baggins, now in the care of Gandalf...
Bolg.JPG
Bolg, sending out his guard in the final stages of the battle
Bolg_s_Bodyguard.JPG
His guard battling me and winning
Dain_and_his_Guard.JPG
Dain and his Guard hold out to the last
Elven_Spearmen.JPG
The Elven Spearmen battle the first wave of enemies

Edited by Sgt. Angel, 01 November 2008 - 11:55 AM.

#12 Sgt. Angel

Sgt. Angel
  • Project Team
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:48 AM

Sorry for double posting, just wanted to upload another image: ;)
The_heroes.JPG
From the front, Thorin Oakenshield, Fili, Kili, Bimbur, Bombur, Bofur, Oin and Gloin!

Now there isn't a single character missing from the battle! :sad:

Sgt. Angel

#13 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:52 PM

So which one is Thorin? And is Gloin Gloin here?

#14 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:41 PM

Screenies look great!

and be kind to Ithilien. He's had some trouble with installing a lot of mods. It may be related to his game....

(discussion on job opportunities will be continued in the Narnia thread)

Edited by Jeth Calark, 01 November 2008 - 06:43 PM.

#15 Egalmoth

Egalmoth
  • Project Team
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:24 PM

i recently downloaded this, it didn't have an image showing a plan view of the map and all the map was was a stretch of green with some dwarves and goblins on.
Egalmoth wore a blue mantle upon which the stars were broidered in crystal.
The leader of the House of the Heavenly Arch.
Alone of all the Noldor, he used a curved sword.

The people of the Heavenly Arch was arrayed in many colours and their arms were set with with jewels and their shields was blue as the sky.Egalmoth got out of the burning Gondolin and came to the Mouth of Sirion

Portraits and graphic art

#16 Erucenindë

Erucenindë
  • Members
  • 82 posts
  • Projects:Mapper for the Battles of Narnia mod for BFME1
  •  Gollum Impersonater *gollum* Yes, Precious.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:26 PM

i'll look into this tonight and tell ya what i think later....... :p

Posted Image

*gollum*

#17 Sgt. Angel

Sgt. Angel
  • Project Team
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:34 PM

So which one is Thorin? And is Gloin Gloin here?

:p I know, my siblings commented on that one as well. Thorin is the one in the front, he's slightly taller then the others (although you can't see that in the picture) and has golden armour and shield (as well as a forged blade axe) and Gloin is the one in the back with the hammer. As to being Gloin Gloin, it appears that he did indeed take a hammer to the Battle of Five Armies from the Treasure Horde under the mountain, so his current hero model seemed the most appropriate thing to me as opposed to making him one of the Axe Thrower Dwarves because according to the lore a) If the Axe Thrower suit only came in one size, he'd never fit it because he was too fat and b) It actually mentions something to do with 'larger suits of mail' in the Treasure Horde, so it may be that he chose one of those instead... I think I'm going to make the heroes more obvious from each other for beta4.7 though! :)

Screenies look great!

Thanks :p I tried to take some good ones without giving too much away.

and be kind to Ithilien. He's had some trouble with installing a lot of mods. It may be related to his game....

Did I appear as being nasty to him or something? If so, my sincere apoligies to you Ithilien, it was not intended in ANY way as you're one of the people who's been talking to me about this map since the very start of putting it up on T3A, I consider you very welcome to be here! I was one of the first to welcome you into the SEE introduction forums! :p Ithilien is a VIM (very important member) and I don't want to appear as coming across in a bad way towards him in any way!

As to installation - it may be a good idea to look into one of those, actually. I was just commenting earlier on the fact that I tried to make the README as easy to follow as possible, but I understand if some have problems with installing it due to the prescence of other mods. I also know a lot of solutions to fixing the game if it's having problems with mods, Ithilien, because my game used to have the same troubles as you're probably having, so if you have any queries or problems about it at any time then talk to me and I'll see what I can do to sort them out for you! ^_^

I really am very very sorry, I'll think more carefully about how I word things in the future, nothing was meant as a personal slight against anyone. :)

(discussion on job opportunities will be continued in the Narnia thread)

Sounds great!

Well, I'm imagining everyone has downloaded the map by now, so I think the next step is to follow Ithilien's example and comment on any problems you may have with the map, or any things that you think might need changing for beta4.7!

Thanks everyone ^_^

Sgt. Angel

Edit: sorry, took so long typing out the above that I missed two new posts! ^_^

i recently downloaded this, it didn't have an image showing a plan view of the map and all the map was was a stretch of green with some dwarves and goblins on.

I've almost finished drawing out the map image, actually, I'm going to re-release beta4.6 with it in soon. As to the stretch of green with Dwarves and Goblins on, do you mean green as in 'models aren't appearing' blocky green or the whole map being bright green because this it a problem I'm DEFINATELY going to be looking in to! I'm sure that you can tell from the images that I've posted earlier in the topic that this isn't supposed to be the case!
Btw, the Dwarves and Goblins are part of the Battle of Five Armies, Egalmoth! What I did is basically created the whole battle from scratch and made it into a map, both sides have all the units and heroes etc that they had in the actual battle and the battle starts from the moment you start playing!

Thank you for the report.

i'll look into this tonight and tell ya what i think later.......

Thanks! I really hope that you enjoy playing on the map! ^_^

Edited by Sgt. Angel, 01 November 2008 - 08:42 PM.

#18 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:08 AM

not nasty, but a little condescending. :p as Nazgul of the SEE mod says, use smilies! :p

if you can help him, that would be great! He's had to miss out on some mods due to those problems...

(dang, it may be a little while before I can play it. I'm busy, and I don't like it! ^_^ )

#19 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:12 AM

I think that I'm going to re-install BFME II. That might fix the problems. Oh, and Sgt. Angel, I wasn't at all insulted. :p I feel like I'm gonna be a big fan of this! :p

Edited by ithilienranger732, 02 November 2008 - 03:13 AM.

#20 Sgt. Angel

Sgt. Angel
  • Project Team
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:19 AM

(dang, it may be a little while before I can play it. I'm busy, and I don't like it! )

Don't worry, I'm grateful enough that you even downloaded the map, I hope that you enjoy playing it as much as I did making it! ^_^ I understand if you need a bit of time out to work on your mod, these things can be very time consuming!

I think that I'm going to re-install BFME II. That might fix the problems. Oh, and Sgt. Angel, I wasn't at all insulted. I feel like I'm gonna be a big fan of this!

Yeah, might do, I've had to reinstall BFME II and RotWK loads of times to get them to work properly. I'm glad that you weren't insulted, too, it was never the intention. Thanks for calling yourself a fan of the map btw! :p You are welcome to post here anytime.

Right, well, let's get down to today's agenda: working out how to get those pics that I did to appear in your signiture... anybody know a way to do this? :p

Sgt. Angel

Edit: I almost forgot, I looked into the whole map is green thing that Egalmoth said about earlier and can't seem to find anything out of the ordinary when using the map on my PC, has anybody else had this problem as well? If so then I'm definately going to try and fix it as soon as possible.

Edited by Sgt. Angel, 02 November 2008 - 06:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users