#21 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:36 PM

Well, I uninstalled and reinstalled BFME II last night, though I didn't get to try it out yet. Heh, I'm a living legend because nothing ever works for me. Don't worry, Sarge, I'll be playing your map as soon as I can! :p :p ^_^
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#22 Egalmoth

Egalmoth
  • Project Team
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:05 PM

no by green i mean that all the map is just one flat piece of land with a grassy texture
Egalmoth wore a blue mantle upon which the stars were broidered in crystal.
The leader of the House of the Heavenly Arch.
Alone of all the Noldor, he used a curved sword.

The people of the Heavenly Arch was arrayed in many colours and their arms were set with with jewels and their shields was blue as the sky.Egalmoth got out of the burning Gondolin and came to the Mouth of Sirion

Portraits and graphic art

#23 Egalmoth

Egalmoth
  • Project Team
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:06 PM

no by green i mean that all the map is just one flat piece of land with a grassy texture

The people of the Heavenly Arch was arrayed in many colours and their arms were set with with jewels and their shields was blue as the sky.Egalmoth got out of the burning Gondolin and came to the Mouth of Sirion

#24 Sgt. Angel

Sgt. Angel
  • Project Team
  • 106 posts
  • Projects:The Battle of Five Armies beta4.7, RJ-RotWK and the Narnia mod for BFME 1
  •  The mapper behind the Battle of Five Armies beta4.7 =D

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:03 PM

One flat piece of land with a grassy texture??? wow, that is NOT what it is supposed to look like... this sounds like it could be a really problematic bug. Were there any hills or mountains or water on the map as well?

Well, I uninstalled and reinstalled BFME II last night, though I didn't get to try it out yet. Heh, I'm a living legend because nothing ever works for me. Don't worry, Sarge, I'll be playing your map as soon as I can!

Thanks! I hope your game is running alright now, usually unin-reinstallations help with problems centering around mods.

Ok, well apart from the 'FG' (Flat Green) bug, is there any others to report? Has anyone else noticed the FG around when they were playing on the map?:good:

Sgt. Angel
Your signature has been removed because it was far too big and you failed to act upon the request to resize it - DLotS

#25 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:10 PM

as Nazgul of the SEE mod says, use smilies!

But that detracts away from :good: the real meaning of message

Edited by Puppeteer, 02 November 2008 - 08:11 PM.

#26 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

A man who used to be here

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:11 PM

HOW TO ADD the TBoFA PIC TO YOUR SIG: (I assume everyone know where to go first to modify their sig)

Go to the pic he provided in a previous post of his. Click to see full image. Right-click on the full image and select "Copy Image Location"

Now go to your sig editor. Click on the "Add Picture" button. It looks like a mini photo of the sun and hills. When it asks you for the URL of the picture, press Control+V.

WARNING! Should the pic be moved or removed from its current location, it will disappear from your sig! I suggest to Sgt Angel that he upload the pic to his private storage area here on Revora, and provide us with the URL to the pic.

REVISED INSTRUCTIONS :good: :
copy Sgt Angel's link above and put it in as the URL when the URL is requested by the "Add Pic" button

Edited by Jeth Calark, 02 November 2008 - 09:48 PM.

#27 Sgt. Angel

Sgt. Angel
  • Project Team
  • 106 posts
  • Projects:The Battle of Five Armies beta4.7, RJ-RotWK and the Narnia mod for BFME 1

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:44 PM

Puppeteer Posted Today, 09:10 AM

as Nazgul of the SEE mod says, use smilies!

But that detracts away from the real meaning of message

lol :good:

HOW TO ADD the TBoFA PIC TO YOUR SIG: (I assume everyone know where to go first to modify their sig)

Go to the pic he provided in a previous post of his. Click to see full image. Right-click on the full image and select "Copy Image Location"

Now go to your sig editor. Click on the "Add Picture" button. It looks like a mini photo of the sun and hills. When it asks you for the URL of the picture, press Control+V.

WARNING! Should the pic be moved or removed from its current location, it will disappear from your sig! I suggest to Sgt Angel that he upload the pic to his private storage area here on Revora, and provide us with the URL to the pic.

Thanks, that was very helpful. It's been taking me ages to try and work that one out, and yet again it's just one of those simple things stuck right under my nose that I didn't notice! :p

That uploading thing is a good idea, I'll do it now.

Sgt. Angel

Edit: by the way, Puppeteer, nice to see you here as well as in the RJ-RotWK forums! :p

Edit again: Here is the link for your sig:
http://www.the3rdage...layer - Fan.JPG

Edited by Sgt. Angel, 02 November 2008 - 08:49 PM.

Your signature has been removed because it was far too big and you failed to act upon the request to resize it - DLotS

#28 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:48 PM

revised instructions have been edited in above! :good:

#29 Sgt. Angel

Sgt. Angel
  • Project Team
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:28 AM

Update:
We have now hit a brick wall.

The wall is as follows: The map no longer runs on the game. The BFME II version runs fine, but the RotWK version crashes the game half way through loading...

I haven't added anything new to it that could have caused this yet...

I'll try and work out the problem, but if I can't fix this then the RotWK version of the map might forever stay as beta4.6! Argh! :good:

Sgt. Angel

Edited by Sgt. Angel, 03 November 2008 - 01:28 AM.

#30 Erucenindë

Erucenindë
  • Members
  • 82 posts
  • Projects:Mapper for the Battles of Narnia mod for BFME1
  •  Gollum Impersonater *gollum* Yes, Precious.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:57 AM

got to look at your map today. i wasnt able to play it all the way through though. it looked really good except this one thing: you really need to work on using textures. it seemed that you used 3-4? am i correct? at any rate, you should be using more (8-beyond) to make it look better/more realistic. :p i suggest looking at EA maps (thru WB) and seeing how they textured. :good:

Posted Image

*gollum*

#31 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:43 AM

if you can't get it to work again, just start over from beta 4.6. sometimes that's what you gotta do :good:

#32 Sgt. Angel

Sgt. Angel
  • Project Team
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:34 AM

Indeed, that's what I have done :cool2: Things like this happen sometimes, that's why I always keep backups of every change I make.

It must have been a problem with the scripting, it worked fine all the way up until the point that I wanted text to appear at the start of the game saying 'Goblin forces arrive at bla bla bla', and then it crashed. I'll look at the T3A help section and see if I can solve the problem that way. As of now, the actual map is working again from the point that I last left it.

got to look at your map today. i wasnt able to play it all the way through though. it looked really good except this one thing: you really need to work on using textures. it seemed that you used 3-4? am i correct? at any rate, you should be using more (8-beyond) to make it look better/more realistic. i suggest looking at EA maps (thru WB) and seeing how they textured.

Thanks for the advice. It was looking at EA's stuff that helped me get to the point I am at the moment with mapping, if it wasn't for them then I wouldn't know how to do some of the things that they have on that tool at all! :) As to the textures, the current version of the Battle of Five Armies that's on release to the public at the moment is simply a test run, the version I was working on just before it crashed had it's textures completely redone and perfected (as well as all my wonderful scripting :p ), which is why I'm so upset at the loss. It had been using about 9-10 different textures actually, but the version on T3A still only has 5 :good:

Texturing at the moment is a top-priority refix for me now before anything else so that I can quickly upload beta4.6.7 onto T3A.

As to Beorn:
He now walks around on the map and is player controlled; however as of yet he still can't attack any blasted enemies! :p He has no attack anims, so I've had to request some at the RJ forums, hopefully they should be with me soon. :p

Thanks for the help everyone
Sgt. Angel

#33 Egalmoth

Egalmoth
  • Project Team
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:35 AM

no the map was completely flat just a plain stretch of land no mountains or hills

#34 Erucenindë

Erucenindë
  • Members
  • 82 posts
  • Projects:Mapper for the Battles of Narnia mod for BFME1
  •  Gollum Impersonater *gollum* Yes, Precious.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for the advice. It was looking at EA's stuff that helped me get to the point I am at the moment with mapping, if it wasn't for them then I wouldn't know how to do some of the things that they have on that tool at all! smile.gif As to the textures, the current version of the Battle of Five Armies that's on release to the public at the moment is simply a test run, the version I was working on just before it crashed had it's textures completely redone and perfected (as well as all my wonderful scripting sad2.gif ), which is why I'm so upset at the loss. It had been using about 9-10 different textures actually, but the version on T3A still only has 5 blush.gif

ouch. *grimaces* looking at my own map, and knowing how much blood and sweat ;) i have put into it, i feel for you... :)

Posted Image

*gollum*

#35 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:34 PM

Indeed, that's what I have done ;) Things like this happen sometimes, that's why I always keep backups of every change I make.

Backups: a modder and mapper's best friends! :)

As to Beorn:
He now walks around on the map and is player controlled; however as of yet he still can't attack any blasted enemies! :grin: He has no attack anims, so I've had to request some at the RJ forums, hopefully they should be with me soon. ;)

actually, he probably does attack, he just looks like he's walking or standing still when he's doing it. but, yeah, new anims still needed! ;)

#36 Sgt. Angel

Sgt. Angel
  • Project Team
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:37 AM

Ok... time to answer some posts! ^_^

no the map was completely flat just a plain stretch of land no mountains or hills

Ok... well, I really am at a loss with this one! I find it worth noting that nobody else has experienced the FG bug as of yet (or if they have they haven't told me) so it may actually be a problem with your version of the game? (Some mods also cause some maps not to function properly, btw, but I'm sure you knew that.) Perhaps try downloading and reinstalling the map again? I can't find any evidence in the map to suggest that it has any problems at all and there's certaintly nothing in it that could cause this... :p

Hope that fixes it for you alright, I'll keep looking for any problems and solutions just in case. :)

Backups: a modder and mapper's best friends!

I know... where would I be without them, seriously, I wouldn't have got past beta4.4 on the BFME II version of this map if it wasn't for backups 'cause my computer crashed. :p

actually, he probably does attack, he just looks like he's walking or standing still when he's doing it. but, yeah, new anims still needed!

You know what, if that's the case then that's probably why I don't think he's attacking anything when I play on the map because he just looks like he's standing still the whole time! I always presumed that those enemies dying around him were dying from Mirkwood Archer arrows! :lol:

ouch. *grimaces* looking at my own map, and knowing how much blood and sweat i have put into it, i feel for you...

Thanks... don't worry though, the textures have been pretty near fixed up again now, so all's well. I'm just gonna get Beorn working fully in the game, work out a way to make two new heroes and put them in (namely a hero with the model of a Man of Dale called Bard and a hero with the model of a Hobbit called Bilbo) and finish off the textures and then I'm releasing beta4.6.7. Beta4.7 will be out when I fix all the scripting, which should be late November/early December ish. :)

Thanks everyone!
Sgt. Angel

#37 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:31 AM

Late November-ish? That will be like an early Christmas present! However, I've run into roadblocks when trying to play non-.exe maps because even though I put them in the correct AppData folder, they still don't appear on the list. How does that work, anyway?

IRS

P.S. Feel free to be condescending. I know I'm a n00b. :p
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#38 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:07 AM

The flat green thing should not be happening to only one person. Either he has his game modified or incorrectly patched some way...or else I dunno what :p No one else has that problem?

I'll mention the bear anims to ed tomorrow, I'm sure he won't mind doing them, especially if the election turns out the way he hopes it does :p

Oh, and I'm not sure how the download works IR, but the map has to be in a folder with the exact same name, even if the map is the only file in the folder. If it's just the actual map file that is downloaded, you have to make a folder to put it in.

Edited by Yoda_, 05 November 2008 - 01:08 AM.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#39 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:46 AM

I too would be interested in those bear attack anims, for my Caspian faction. :p

#40 Sgt. Angel

Sgt. Angel
  • Project Team
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:22 AM

Late November-ish? That will be like an early Christmas present! However, I've run into roadblocks when trying to play non-.exe maps because even though I put them in the correct AppData folder, they still don't appear on the list. How does that work, anyway?

Tough one to explain in a post, I'll send you a PM about it and explain all the details for you. :) I'm going to make an installer for beta4.6.7 and one for beta4.7, so have no fear about installing the map when it is next released. :thumbsupsmiley:

The flat green thing should not be happening to only one person. Either he has his game modified or incorrectly patched some way...or else I dunno what No one else has that problem?

Nope... the FG bug seems to be limited only to Egalmoth, I think, but if I spot the bug myself at any point I'll try and sort it out. I can't really think what could be causing it, to be honest, there's nothing out of the ordinary on that map... :p

I'll mention the bear anims to ed tomorrow, I'm sure he won't mind doing them, especially if the election turns out the way he hopes it does

Thanks. I was gonna do the same thing myself eventually once I'd done all the scripting for the main battle, if he could spare any anims to me and Jeth then they'd be very useful. :rolleyes:

I too would be interested in those bear attack anims, for my Caspian faction.

Yeah, well I said that you'd have first dibs on sharing them when I get them. I'm sure Yoda will put in an application for both you and me to share them, If he doesn't then I'll PM him about it myself, I'm sure he won't mind about us both using them. :)

As an update on the map:
Goblin Archers now once again appear when I want them to, though I haven't tried adding any objectives and dialogue into the scripting yet...
The texturing is almost complete...
... and I've gone and changed my Worldbuilder to a RJ-RotWK version for mapping reasons so the mod might be required to play the RotWK version of the map in beta4.6.7, though I think it's unlikely that it'll make any difference as I haven't used any of the new models etc that come with the new Worldbuilder version.

Remember to report any bugs/problems to me if and when they appear! :)
Sgt. Angel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users