#1 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:52 PM

So it came to the notice of my cerebellum that the Americans have a rather large discussion zone for things relating to, well, everything. Come on, they've got the main HoP pretty much 100% Americanised, they've got the GNP too.

So I figured that, to redress this terrible imbalance, that a section devoted primarily to British politics and events should be created. We have a rather large British contingent at Revora, and I figured that things occurring in Britain should get more of a mention.

So I created this section.

I urge all Brits to post any musings, political points of note and other points of our great nation that aren't spammy (or at least not overly so!) in here. Let's face it, without us the Americans wouldn't be here to lord it over everyone, so I figure we should at least have a place where we can talk properly.

Oh, a few ground rules before we go on:

- No Americanised spelling. Put the 'U' in Colour. Words end in 'ise' not 'ize'. 'Ph' is not to be shortened to 'F'. And it's a nappy.
- Know the fucking distinctions!
England = the big one where London is.
Scotland = the northernmost bit.
Wales = the bit shaped like a pig's head to the east (I'm not being derogatory - it does look like the head of a pig).
Northern Ireland = the northern tip of Ireland.
Great Britain: England + Wales + Scotland (refers to the island on which they are situated).
United Kingdom: All of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Republic of Ireland = the rest of Ireland. NOT part of Britain.

Don't mix 'em up. Scotland and Wales, contrary to popular uneducated opinion, are NOT part of England.

- Back up with a source where possible. This isn't the Brit equivalent of GNP, but at very least include an article on which you then post an opinion.
- That's it. Usual forum rules apply.

That's it folks. Chocks away! Tally ho!

Posted Image

Edited by Ash, 08 November 2008 - 02:37 AM.

#2 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:13 PM

I've always considered Wales a part of England. As a foreigner with no clue about anything british beyond stereotypes, the welsh seems to me to have nothing specific about them :p

Anyway, I dunno if the house of parliament ever was 100% american, it was more "international" imo. And I can't say GNP is 100% american; its more like 75% american 25% norwegian... although my posts on it have been lax as of late.

But I guess it can be fun for the local brits to talk shit about their political system. Dark-gods know they need a proper spring cleaning to get the old conservative geezers out of there.

Edited by duke_Qa, 07 November 2008 - 08:14 PM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#3 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:56 PM

I've always considered Wales a part of England. As a foreigner with no clue about anything british beyond stereotypes, the welsh seems to me to have nothing specific about them :p

Lol, don't say that to a Welshy. They might try to insert a rugby ball somewhere rather painful. ;)

There isn't that much to distinctify any British nation beyond accents and that the Welsh and the Scots and the Irish distinctly loathe us. Nothing like holding a 400-year grudge...

Anyway, I dunno if the house of parliament ever was 100% american, it was more "international" imo.

Yeah, but a lot of the news always seems to revolve around what America's doing. And it's usually Americans who tend to be most active. But since the userbase is roughly 60:35:5 for American/British/Other I figured the Brits need somewhere to be vocal. Beyond that need, this place will also serve as home to my inane rantings in my own particular idiom. I think by now, given my post count's bigger than the next-2 most prolific posters combined, you probably all know what to expect. :p

And I can't say GNP is 100% american; its more like 75% american 25% norwegian... although my posts on it have been lax as of late.

True, but it's primarily American and I didn't put On Britain... there because GNP is Hostile's thing with which I'm not affiliated. This was the next-best place to put it. Although Tom, in his infinite wisdom, made 2 of this forum. ¬_¬

But I guess it can be fun for the local brits to talk shit about their political system. Dark-gods know they need a proper spring cleaning to get the old conservative geezers out of there.

Correct. :xcahik_: Wish we could get rid of all of them.

Edited by Ash, 07 November 2008 - 09:59 PM.

#4 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:36 PM

Good show old bean! Though I must say, I always thought that
Great Britain = England, Wales & Scotland
United Kingdom = England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland.
Look at the passport front cover and that's where I got it from.

#5 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:40 PM

First and foremost, I'd like to say it's about bastard time we had our own place set up on here. Them yanks have had way too much influence on the Houses of Parliament section which is a disgrace considering them bastards don't even have any houses of parliament. I'm more than happy to relax myself in here, both attitude and language-wise, just to fully cement the British feel in here.
Now then, on to business.

I've always considered Wales a part of England. As a foreigner with no clue about anything British beyond stereotypes, the welsh seems to me to have nothing specific about them :p

Right, let's get this one settled quickly. England is the one that Bastardess Thatcher decided to kill by shutting down all the coal mines and steelworks. Wales is the one that was allowed their coal mines, but managed to run out of coal. Asides from that, they're all a bunch of sheep shaggers that can't spell. The only reason they bother wearing kilts now is because the sheep have gotten used to the sound of a zip. And if you don't know what I mean about the spelling, let's just say that to get from Aberystwyth to Fucheswen, you have to go North up all the way up the A847 past Dolgellau onto the A470. Keep going North, past Blaenau Ffestiniog, Belle Vue and Congl-y-Wal. If you see Rhiwbryfdir, you've gone too far. Did you get all that? No? Now just imagine playing the cheating bastards at Scrabble.

Anyway, I dunno if the house of parliament ever was 100% american, it was more "international" imo. And I can't say GNP is 100% american; its more like 75% american 25% norwegian... although my posts on it have been lax as of late.

Well there's no excuse for it either way. I thought, just by the name, that it should be British. After all, where else are you going to find the Houses of Parliament? Washington? Dubai? Hong Kong? I might want to blow the bastards up whenever a party political broadcast comes on, or whenever it's full, but I'd be puking for weeks if they got moved to foreign soil.

But I guess it can be fun for the local Brits to talk shit about their political system. Dark-gods know they need a proper spring cleaning to get the old conservative geezers out of there.

A good batch of anthrax, shortly followed with napalm wouldn't get them bastards out. Anyway, talking shit about the political system isn't fun for us. For us, it's part of the political system. Since you're not British, you'll have missed out on the bitchfest between the Tories and Labour during the economic crisis, let alone the constant Tory battlecry. Ash knows all too well what that one is. "Labours stealing our ideas again. We thought of that first!". Try putting up with the quality of politics we get every day, and then wonder why we're such cynical gits.

Edit: Oh, and Puppeteer, don't give that passport to the government under and conditions. They'll only lose it.

Edited by Caspa, 07 November 2008 - 10:42 PM.

Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#6 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:06 AM

So true... Although, in defence of the Welsh, I'd just like to point out that they do have their very own very nearly dead language which nobody not Welsh will ever bother to learn and occasionally has too many consonants where vowels should be. The heavy Welsh accents also sound kinda like singing when they're talking, which is nice, but gets tiring after a while because it takes them twice as long to say anything as a good English accent. Note: 'good' English accent does not include Scouse, Geordie, Mancunian or Cornish.

Anyway, I'm glad we have our own place now. Those damn yanks have been cramping our style since 1941.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#7 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:36 AM

Nothing good about a Scouse accent, Vortigern. You neglected to mention the Tyke dialect of Yorkshire, for which I really can't forgive you. :p

But yeah. That bit about the Welsh had me pissing myself, Caspa. :shiftee:

At any rate, Puppeteer's probably right. Edited.

#8 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:47 AM

So it came to the notice of my cerebellum that the Americans have a rather large discussion zone for things relating to, well, everything. Come on, they've got the main HoP pretty much 100% Americanised, they've got the GNP too.

So I figured that, to redress this terrible imbalance, that a section devoted primarily to British politics and events should be created. We have a rather large British contingent at Revora, and I figured that things occurring in Britain should get more of a mention.

So I created this section.

I urge all Brits to post any musings, political points of note and other points of our great nation that aren't spammy (or at least not overly so!) in here. Let's face it, without us the Americans wouldn't be here to lord it over everyone, so I figure we should at least have a place where we can talk properly.

Oh, a few ground rules before we go on:

- No Americanised spelling. Put the 'U' in Colour. Words end in 'ise' not 'ize'. 'Ph' is not to be shortened to 'F'. And it's a nappy.
- Know the fucking distinctions!
England = the big one where London is.
Scotland = the northernmost bit.
Wales = the bit shaped like a pig's head to the east (I'm not being derogatory - it does look like the head of a pig).
Northern Ireland = the northern tip of Ireland.
Great Britain: England + Wales + Scotland (refers to the island on which they are situated).
United Kingdom: All of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Republic of Ireland = the rest of Ireland. NOT part of Britain.

Don't mix 'em up. Scotland and Wales, contrary to popular uneducated opinion, are NOT part of England.

- Back up with a source where possible. This isn't the Brit equivalent of GNP, but at very least include an article on which you then post an opinion.
- That's it. Usual forum rules apply.

That's it folks. Chocks away! Tally ho!

Posted Image

Don't you think your taking it a bit to far?

Usually I don't like the idea of Globalism, but come on, this is the sort of thing which caused the KKK and the Holy Wars.

Edited by Durandel, 08 November 2008 - 02:48 AM.

#9 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:51 AM

Um... What? Are you comparing a bunch of guys having a subforum for stuff that happens in their country, which nobody else in the entire world cares about, to the formation of a group of hooded racist individuals responsible for the lynchings of several thousand black people and wars that took place hundreds of years ago over the ownership of the perceived holy city? And you say we're taking it too far?
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#10 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  •  The Undead

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:59 AM

Um... What? Are you comparing a bunch of guys having a subforum for stuff that happens in their country, which nobody else in the entire world cares about, to the formation of a group of hooded racist individuals responsible for the lynchings of several thousand black people and wars that took place hundreds of years ago over the ownership of the perceived holy city? And you say we're taking it too far?

I didn't say you started it, i'm just saying this is the type of ideology, yet on a much more minucritical scale.

#11 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:05 AM

Minucritical is not a word. And if you were saying that, why didn't you just say it? :shiftee:

#12 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  •  The Undead

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:45 AM

Minucritical is not a word. And if you were saying that, why didn't you just say it? :p

Damnit, I look like an idiot now.

what I meant was it is on a less critical scale, I picked up "Minucritical" from another forum, thought it was a fancy word and used it. :shiftee:

#13 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:09 PM

Do you feel the need to quote the whole first post? Seems pointless and annoying to me.

#14 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:38 PM

No, that's not the ideology on which the KKK was established.

I simply feel the British are under-represented on Revora. Look at it. Hostile's GNP is one of the main political areas of debate, and of course because he's American he's going to post heavy bias for American events. Not his fault, not blaming him for it. He has two parts: The o'really factor and the GNP Articles bit, and then there's the GNP parent forum area. Spence is going to be primarily American too. Duke's Norwegian, so it's not all-American but it's mostly-American.

This tends to spill over to the rest of the HoP too.

I feel that there are enough British contributors to Revora and to the HoP in general for them to have somewhere to focus their political debates. And what I'm doing here is giving a dedicated place to raise awareness of Britain and British issues. Sort of a focal point. The rest of the forum is full of what's going on in America.

While American (and other international) input is encouraged and appreciated, I'm not sure that a lot of what happens to us Brits really affects you in the same way what you do affects us. So this saves a predominantly American forum from being cluttered with issues that may not be relevant to you.

What I also aim to achieve is to show, over time, a distinction between the issues that affect and are apparent in Britain from those that are apparent in America, and show a difference in the issues that average-joe Britons and Americans care about. So, as well as being a forum for discussion of British politics and society, think of it as a sort of sociological experiment on my part. :shiftee:

#15 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:21 PM

Not trying to be a bitch here, but actually the main HoP has always been international and GNP is Hostile's personal blog/whatever section. I don't really like the idea of having country-specific subforums, as you british people could just post more threads in the main forum if you think it's too americanised.
However if I'm the only one who feels it's a bit overdone, then so be it.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#16 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:27 PM

Well, we Brits seem to be mostly in favour of the whole thing. It's nice to have something solely British for once. We don't even have Britain for that any more.

#17 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:48 PM

Yeah, I am not against having a subforum that talks about british politics because I know very little about it. Welsh likes sheep and have a singing language? seems that their stereotypes have something in common with norwegian stereotypes :shiftee:

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#18 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:08 PM

Norwegians fuck sheep also? I honestly didn't know that. Maybe this new subforum is good after all. :shiftee:

#19 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:33 PM

Good show old bean! Though I must say, I always thought that
Great Britain = England, Wales & Scotland
United Kingdom = England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland.

The only place in the UK where they've actually figured out what Northern Ireland is...

Thought I'd just pop in for a quick troll.

Edited by MSpencer, 08 November 2008 - 07:48 PM.

Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#20 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:58 AM

Well, we Brits seem to be mostly in favour of the whole thing. It's nice to have something solely British for once. We don't even have Britain for that any more.

Exactly.

My point is, the GNP is going to be very slanted towards the views of the person who makes the musings. So will this. As I say, call it a sociological point.

The only place in the UK where they've actually figured out what Northern Ireland is...

Thought I'd just pop in for a quick troll.

Huh? Northern Ireland's been separate since before WW2. We more or less know what's going on with it now, and the Troubles have calmed down majorly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users