title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:26 AM

lol.

thats what its like in the real game :shiftee:

whoever masses the most BF's wins
or with soviets whoever masses the most rhino tanks...

((actually, theres a few more then that, but they all involve mass spam of one unit and rushes... eg. spam rocketeers, spam siege choppers, spam prism tanks, etc))

and when you get onto noob mods... with nuclear bomb terrorists and super PwnZ0r monkeys. well, you can guess.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 WoRmINaToR

WoRmINaToR
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert 2: Chronostorm
  •  RA2: Chronostorm MOD Coder

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:18 AM

no, what it means is that he is saying he already knows the stuff you are saying, because he has been modding from a while and learnt from pro's. Therefore he doesn't need advice on balance and stuff, because i knows this already...
it seems to me like you dont understand our point...

we understand your point, we just dont agree with what you are saying.
it is not rude to state your cridentials, as it shows that you know what you are doing, and wont be making noob mistakes with balance and stuff

Let's just leave it where it is right now, as I have realised that there is not a sufficient amount of information to give any really constructive cirticism. When he starts actually releasing material and later alpha builds of the mod then I may start giving some criticisms. THEN there will be no questioning whatsoever that the criticism is about the mod itself, not modding skills.

One thing I need to clear up though:

you are coming across as arrogant yourself with statements like this, where you are saying that you are right and they are wrong, when they aren't.

No offense ar anything, but you totally mistook that. I was making a general statement there; not trying to hand out rights and wrongs here.
Either way, I replaced it in the origional post with a little better clarification.

Edited by WoRmINaToR, 03 December 2008 - 01:21 AM.

#23 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:51 AM

Well whatever, its not that big a deal.

Like i said, we understand where you are coming from, but credentials are a perfectly good way to support your argument. It not rude/arrogant to state your skills, as you do it to try and demonstrate that you know what you are doing.

Everyone does it, two men give you medical advice, one is a doctor and one is a construction worker... i know which one i'd be more inclined to listen too.

Same idea here, they are telling you they are a good modder, and so know what they are talking about, as appose to if they have never modded, and don't know what they are talking about.

Anyway, yeah, lets wait for the mods release.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image

#24 WoRmINaToR

WoRmINaToR
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert 2: Chronostorm
  •  RA2: Chronostorm MOD Coder

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

Everyone does it, two men give you medical advice, one is a doctor and one is a construction worker... i know which one i'd be more inclined to listen too.

Now in that scenario credentials really don't matter because they are in completely different trades. You don't go up to a blue collar expecting him to know how to program a computer game. Now look at two people in the same trade (like us modders). Now if you're looking for credentials, obviously you would support the person who presented better credentials. However if you are looking for good information then you look at the person who presents better, more accurate (or at least seemingly accurate) points and better conbstructive criticisms. In that case, credentials don't matter, because it is all about the tangible information the two people provide, not how much experience they have. Since this situation started with constructive criticism, presenting credentials is unnecessary as it holds NO weight whatsoever in the argument. A point that holds no weight cannot support an argument, thus it is unnecessary. Perhaps not rude and not quite arrogant, but definitely unnecessary.

Like i said, we understand where you are coming from, but credentials are a perfectly good way to support your argument. It not rude/arrogant to state your skills, as you do it to try and demonstrate that you know what you are doing.

You don't demonstrate your skills by listing your credentials, you demonstrate your skills with tangible substance and arguments. Saying "Oh, I am a good modder, I've been around these places for years and have lots of experience." holds much, MUCH less weight than a good point in an argument does. THAT is why I believe credentials in an argument are unnecessary.

Here, look at me for a little bit. I have no credentials. I have little reputation here. I am somewhat new to the RA2 modding community, but you know what? That doesn't matter one single little bit at all. I present points in my arguments with tangible substance and well-thought-out replies. I give constructive criticism whenever I can. Even if and when I am wrong, I present myself in such a way that I don't need to be able to say "Oh I have lots of experience and reputation here.". Even though I don't, I often find that people think I do.

Edited by WoRmINaToR, 06 December 2008 - 07:08 PM.

#25 Rawlo

Rawlo

Word Smith

• Project Team
  • 1,616 posts
  •  as it turns out, was never actually a convict, go figure.

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:32 PM

lord help me I wish I'd never made that post, but here it is, this argument ends now, if I see one more reference to it in this thread everything after my post goes down the drain. ok?

now lets let eagz get back to work so he can fill this thread with something other then pointless bickering.
The Least I Could Do - We all wished we were like this at one point
Ctrl+Alt+Del - A webcomic for the gamer in all of us
A final good night Burnie, sleep well mate, rest in peace
Goodbye Tig, you are sorely missed.
Goodbye to you aswell till, you'll also be missed

Xeno, RIP mate
"I'm going to go on the record and say that any substance abuse problem which creates women like that is ok by me"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users