Photo

Apocalypse: Revamped!

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

Poll: Smart Infected much?

Should we have SWG's smart, gun-wielding infected? See page 2 for details

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:24 PM

All good things must come to an end, or so the saying goes. Let us hope the end of Apocalypse is not quite as nigh as once suspected. Clearly some form of redesign or revamp is required, so I suggest we go ahead and do something. This is where the good thing that is my rhetoric must come to an end, because I'm fresh out of good ideas.

Except for one, which may or may not work or even be considered a possibility. Bring an end to Chapter 3, get it over and done with, finish up with the story that FZM has/had planned, and then begin again some time later, in a world where humanity has adapted to defend itself against the Infected menace and built new reinforced cities, designed new guns, whatever. You should be aware that I've just been reading Gone With The Blastwave as I say this, which may be influencing my imagination somewhat.

Anyway, the overall point being made here is that Apocalypse, to avoid the death and decay of the longest-running RP still alive, must be re-energised. This topic is wide open to suggestions from all comers. Especially newcomers. A fresh perspective is always appreciated.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#2 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts
  • Projects:The Ziggurat generally, Apocalypse in particular.
  •  Refuses to be beaten by Vortigern.

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:33 PM

Huh. Not a bad idea. Although, the plot I had going was actually pretty epic and were I to finish it I'd probably need your help Vort :p

But yeah, as leader, I'm in.
Of course I don't look busy; I did it right the first time.
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
FZM and Vort don't do tag wrestling...but if they did, they'd probably be the worst tag-wrestlers in the world.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#3 southsidediablo

southsidediablo

ChaChe Rodriguez!

• Project Team
  • 748 posts
  • Projects:V|GO, Apocalypse, The Mullet

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

I say we do it. It's been a while since I've last RP'd.
How can you keep an idiot busy? Click Here to find out....
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

#4 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:49 PM

Since it seems I joined a few months too late to play, I'd say do it, unless the current plotline magically gets going again.

Posted Image

#5 DIGI_Byte

DIGI_Byte

Unitologist

• Hosted
  • 1,747 posts
  • Projects:GTFO
  •  Everybody do the Flop!

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:22 AM

We could Implement some Left 4 Dead things as well, Just a though.

Lyon-Fixed.gif
RIP 2323

#6 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:45 AM

I want to see this being more like Doom(the game, not the movie, i haven't seen that)

I've started playing doom 3 again and its pretty awesome(and at only $10, a great bargain).

what if we have 'sub rpgs' in here? sorta like what 'spin offs' are for tv shows, but with rpgs
you could then have the original Apocalypse(but bumped back into action)
and revamped Apocalypse( something like "Apocalypse: *enter cool subtitle here*") set in the future or whatever like you said with humans finally pulling themselves back together and whatnot.

this could actually work with a few of the different RPG's... and would also solve(well, sorta) the 'similar RPG's' topic..

things like all future sci fi RPG's can go under one main rpg 'universe', and then the different peoples rpgs can be set at different times or alternate timelines or whatever
(so this would mean Worlds of War, Icurus and Dropzone: Ghost Incursion could all go under one 'main' rpg, and just be set in different times/alternate timelines/whatever)

not saying i necessarily like this idea, but if we were to revamp every rpg, and then modify them all slightly to mesh better, this could be an option
(using the WOW-Ic-DZGI example, Icurus could be set in the 'past', DZGI can be set next, and WOW after that in the 'future'
or alternatively one could be a split of, eg. DZGI is one timeline, while WOW is another one, both originating from Icurus' time, but splitting off into 'alternate realities')

same with the different fantasy RPGs, and all the modern day/near future RPGs.

what do you all think? im not quite sure if i like the idea... but if we expand and modify it i think it might sorta work out.

Edited by some_wierdGuy, 21 November 2008 - 07:46 AM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:01 AM

Veto. Sorry, but I personally think that's a terrible idea :blink:
It's probably the artist in me, but I think the universes are too defined and individual - for example, in Icarus humans are the only race. In Dropzone it's a small, well-defined set and in WoW there's a huge range (and notably none of the races from Dropzone).
The idea of sub-RPG's as a concept isn't a bad one, but if done they should be created new rather than shoe-horning existing RPs into one another.

PS, What do you mean by more like Doom? Give me some specifics and I'll see what I can do.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
FZM and Vort don't do tag wrestling...but if they did, they'd probably be the worst tag-wrestlers in the world.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#8 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:18 PM

I would like to second that veto. I like the idea of sub-RPs but I'm not going to let my universes get dragged into each other. I've spent too long thinking up the whole future history and plain old future of both Icarus and Arsencia to let them go get remodelled and panel-beaten into something I didn't want.

The only problem with sub-RPs is that we don't really have enough people for them to work. If there were thirty odd people here it would probably work fine, with one member of staff watching over each sub-RP, and being in general control, but as there are about 8 of us, it's neither here nor there. Expansion, then implementation.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#9 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:22 PM

like i said, i wasn't really sure if i liked the idea either. just like you guys didn't want your ideas all mangled and dragged into each other, i sorta didn't want my one chopped and changed.

it was just a thought that i had(it began with my idea for having Dropzone: Ghost Incursion and Dropzone: the Great Conflict. both were gonna be set in the same universe, but at different times.

so then i could have 'Dropzone' as the main RPG thing, with the different 'sub rpgs' underneath it.

and your right about not having enough people to work.
if we ignore that for a second sub rpgs could still work, like i said my thing was only an example, we wouldn't have to mix all sci fi ones in together, that was just an example to get my meaning across...

anyway, forget about that, now onto Doom:
http://www.doom3.com/
theres the flash site ^, where you can get more info and see some pictures of in game and stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_3
and here's the wikipedia article^

basically the story goes that there is this research facility on mars, where they make and test all this new technologies and stuff(like teleportation, advanced weapons, etc). Basically the teleporter makes a gateway to hell. You keep going around and find this missing guy, and then all hell breaks loose. Its pretty cool looking.(the walls light up with symbols, everything goes dark and over your radio you can hear people screaming and stuff. then these skull things fly in and turn the guy you find into a zombie
there are zombies, more zombies, demons, more demons, and bigger demons and monsters.

so yeah, the game just has a really great atmosphere, and detail. you pick up peoples personal data things and listen to audio logs and emails and see how they are talking about the different 'strage things' that were going on. you go through the game and you might here someone whisper 'help me', you walk forward and the lights all black out and a demon leaps at you. or zombies suddenly have you surrounded.

sometimes nothing happens, the lgith might turn out and the floor burst open, and you just catch sight of a demon disappearing up a shaft in the roof, so you never know when its really something or not...

anyway, not saying this rpg should be exactly like that, but we could have more 'demons and zombies' instead of just zombies(which is sorta the way you were going, i think)
and not saying you should or anything, but if you want it set in the future they could well have some research facility thing on mars or whatever like doom.
(if not then set it on earth, earth is just as nice a place for the apocalypse after all ;))

the whole teleportation leads to hell is a pretty clever idea. I dont know if you want this, but i do know that doom 3 is a pretty cool game and we might be able to get at least some inspiration from it...

Posted Image

#10 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:19 AM

Umm... I think not. No demons in Apocalypse. It's a disease manufactured by man, isn't it? That means it's scientific, which is the opposite of hell. That would make it inaccurate to within one-tenth of a plausibility unit, to quote Futurama.

#11 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:32 AM

But teleporters are scientific, so a teleporter to hell keeps it in the realm of science

And the infected were getting pretty demonic last i checked(those boss ones with demonic powers and other stuff, cant remember much but i remember they were more then just super big really strong infected.)

what about they're just genetically engineer creatures?
(i was thinking something like the imps in doom 3 with this, btw)

Posted Image

#12 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Projects:....

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:11 AM

yea i agree (i dun mind i made 1 post ages ago then became inactive so i now am bothering to be active again.. i played counter srtike way too much to bother about posting)

PS: seriously that games frustratingly addictive... so is every other valve game

#13 DIGI_Byte

DIGI_Byte

Unitologist

• Hosted
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:14 AM

Well Doom series, Apart from the original and DosDoom, I found them quite boring and lacking real story or background.
And the movie is really Ghey apart from the special effects and the simularity to Doom3, Its basically set 10 years after Doom3.

Lyon-Fixed.gif
RIP 2323

#14 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

To clarify about the infected: the disease is entirely man-made and manufactured. The leaders are not demonic, they have had their inherent psychic abilities expanded. basically I'm working on the premise that all humans do have the 'psychic gene' or whatever you wanna call it and the scientists responsible for unleashing the virus made use of this in their later experiments.
The reason that not all infected have these abilities is that the scientists had not perfected the changing of them when the virus was leaked. The first infected have the virus that keeps them under the control of strong psychic influences (aka the leader infected) but also had the unpleasant side-effect of slowly killing the host body - in order for enough of the host's free will and control of their own body to be lost to the virus, much of that body's systems had to be decayed. But these 'ordinary' infected do not possess the psychic influence themselves. The virus spread itself faster than anticipated, leading to primitive leader creatures being rushed out of manufacture to keep them under control. These leaders had both the virus and the influence, but still suffered from the gradual decay of the body, which led to the doctor's enhancing the bodies --> Alpha, the Screamer.
Eventually, the decay problem seemed fixed --> the experiment on Gary. Unfortunately, he regained all of his free will after a short lapse which resulted in him siding with his previous companions again.

So there's that. They are genetically engineered creatures, with no demonic involvement at all. Plus teleportation hasn't come up at all up to this point so I'm reluctant to randomly introduce it as particle physics is a completely unrelated branch of science to advanced neurology.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#15 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:58 PM

And even though the revamped version would be in the future, most able scientists would have spent their days searching for a cure or a vaccine related to the Infection, not dreaming up teleporters. Science is suffering because of the shortage of people with enough free time to do research.

Also, told you so! Science all the way. Hell is not scientific, ergo not involved in something with a conclusively scientific background.

FZEDIT: Amen, brother!

#16 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:38 AM

The 'demons' in doom 3 are actually aliens and stuff, so thats how they are explained in game...

Anyway, you dont have to have demons. i was just saying that the atmosphere in doom 3 is really good, and they have zombies and stuff all over the place... if your interesting in watching a bit of doom 3 stuff:

http://au.youtube.co...h?v=qfolzxFachY
^a promo video
http://au.youtube.co...feature=related
game play of level 4^, i think it is

If not, then dont. I just think its pretty cool and we could get some inspiration from parts of it...

One thing i do want to see is to 'creepy this up' a bit. Make it more 'scary'. im not quite sure how this is really going to work seen as its just words on a post, but i guess we could include more 'creepy stuff' happening to our characters.

(Like i said, in doom 3 you will walk along and then hear a whispered 'help me', you step forward and are attacked. or you step into a room and the floor plating fly around, clanging against the walls, the lights go out, and you're left with the slit second image of something darting upwards into a vent in the ceiling.
other things that happened in the game was that you walk past a dead body, kill some zombies, then turn around to see the dead body from before right behind you about to attack. or you walk into the bathroom, looking in the mirror, suddenly it goes into a little movie thing where your reflection ages and flames are around you, and evil laughter can be heard)

But then again, some of those are a bit to 'demonic' to really fit with just a zombie virus story line (although the dead bodies coming to life, the whispering, and even the lights going out and flicker with a zombie suddenly appearing between flickers could work)

Posted Image

#17 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:46 AM

Yeah, creepy-ness is all cool and that, but it's really up to whoever's writing the post rather than me as leader. However, you have my full approval to make your posts creepy.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#18 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:54 AM

cool, i think i'll do that
(and forgive me should i decide to rip of doom 3 at any point)

Posted Image

#19 DIGI_Byte

DIGI_Byte

Unitologist

• Hosted
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:28 AM

@some_wierdGuy
Linkage

Lyon-Fixed.gif
RIP 2323

#20 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:33 AM

nice...

and a bit newer then doom 3 ;)
and much more fitting with this rpg(seemed pretty familiar actually...)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users