Photo

De-Suspending RPG Creation

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Suspending Creation

Should RPG Creation Be Suspended?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:17 PM

At this time I think it best that we should suspend RPG creation until such time that the Frontier can actually become active again. What do you guys think?

Posted Image

#2 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:31 PM

Yes. There's plenty of diversity amongst the RPs so far, and we can't go spreading the current RPers too thinly, or nobody will bother with doing it properly.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#3 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:31 AM

im saying yes... but thats probably because im not wanting to make a new rpg right now...

still, we dont have enough people to be going and making a whole heap of rpg's...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Projects:....

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:55 AM

there are kind of 2 dead rps at the moment maybe you should delete them?

#5 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:10 PM

To be honest, everything but WoW and Arsencia is dead at the moment. Apoc's just got a little off-topic bit going, but FZM assures me that he'll eventually get around to doing something about it (he's just a lazy bastard). As for everything else:

DropZone seems to have died off, which is a shame, but what can you do?
Chronicles of the Forgotten (singularly inappropriate name, if I might add. Cool, but hardly relevant) is still under development whenever Jenkins shows up, but isn't yet ready.
Rogue State is on hold.
Icarus seems also to have died, which is annoying, but again, not much can be done. If anyone wants to post in there you may feel free, it's been ready and waiting for the past month.

We'll see what can be done when FZM is awake at the right moment.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#6 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:28 AM

i find it a great shame that Drop Zone: Ghost Incursion has died so, and even Icarus which had potential to go much further too.

the others didn't really get started enough to judge, but they too are very dead.

and yes, 'Chronicles of the Forgotten' didn't really have much relevance to the RP from what i could tell...

Posted Image

#7 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts
  • Projects:The Ziggurat generally, Apocalypse in particular.
  •  Refuses to be beaten by Vortigern.

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:06 PM

No, it really doesn't does it? Still, it is a damn fine name all the same.
PS, Now does not constitute a right moment when I am awake :p
Of course I don't look busy; I did it right the first time.
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
FZM and Vort don't do tag wrestling...but if they did, they'd probably be the worst tag-wrestlers in the world.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#8 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:30 AM

i think chronicles of the forgotten has died out completely now, i made a team but noone has replied. :(

#9 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:34 PM

I don't think it's dead, I think Jenkins has just fucked off for a while. He's been only rarely active for a while now.

#10 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:47 AM

haha. someone should pm him to start posting or else... lol

#11 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts
  • Projects:The Ziggurat generally, Apocalypse in particular.
  •  Refuses to be beaten by Vortigern.

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:51 AM

Right then everyone. Dropzone: Ghost Incursion and Rogue State have been pruned in the interests of tidyness and as the Frontier is now looking uncharacteristically empty I'm officially ending the suspension of RPG creation.
As of now, with perhaps slightly more stringent rules on the number of interested parties, things are now as normal.
Of course I don't look busy; I did it right the first time.
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
FZM and Vort don't do tag wrestling...but if they did, they'd probably be the worst tag-wrestlers in the world.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#12 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:57 AM

Cool

You know i have this really great idea about a sci fi rpg called drop zone: ghost incursion that will have....

:p

Anyway, i gotta go now, going out for dinner ;)
(well, like you even care, but whatever)

Edited by some_wierdGuy, 18 January 2009 - 08:00 AM.

Posted Image

#13 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

I realize I'm slightly necro'ing this thread but it must be said (or typed, as the case may be,) loud and clear. So read what I have to say and read it carefully. I'm sorry if this comes off as pissed off and hostile, but I keep repeating myself (and Vortigern has been too...) and noone seems to listen, which is quite frustrating.

[Important Stuff begins here]

Just because we (The RPG Frontier staff [FZM and myself] and Vortigern) de-suspended RP creation does not give every member of the RPG Frontier a free ticket to create RPs as they see fit.

You (the RP applicant) MUST have a decent member base (read: more than 5, please. The more the better. A quick thank-you to Mike for drumming up crazy numbers for his RP.) if you want your RP to be created.

You MUST have a 90% original idea. That means, it's not similar to anything we already have. If you draw inspiration from pop culture, that's perfectly fine, but if it's too similar to another RP then I will not support it and it seems that the other staffers will not either.

You MUST have a plan. A gelatinous blob of an RP will not go anywhere once started and will therefore not be started.

We will not be accepting applications automatically. We will not accept anything that we do not feel should be created.

We will be re-suspending RP creation. I don't know when and I don't think anyone else has any idea, but we will. Endless creation of RPs is not good for the division.

Too many cooks will spoil the broth. An RP is a cook. The broth is the divison. Get the idea? If we make a ton of new RPs, we will spread the member base here at the Frontier too thin. EVERY RP will suffer a drop in activity; new ones and established ones alike. That means that EVERY RP will either die or come dangerously close. If you don't think that this can happen, then you prolly haven't been here long enough to remember, but FZM and Vortigern can give first-hand accounts. It happened to the original Apocalypse, the longest standing RP we had had to date, an RP which TBQH I didn't think was going to die.

Thanks for reading my rant. I hope I've made my point.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#14 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:13 PM

I second every point made herein.

#15 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:38 AM

lol, i can see exactly where/who some of those comments are pointed at. (especially the 'gelatinous blob' comment :p)

If you want to make an RP but you dont know if anyone will be interested, instead of right up making an RPG request, make a topic in the RPG general discussion(or even in other places to try and rope in new people) asking if anyone would be interested in your idea. If it shows a decent amount of support, then go ahead and request it, if it doesn't, don't.

Thats what i am doing. Also, You dont HAVE to have your own RPG, sit back and just play along with others, instead of requesting one after another in the hope that you will get the shiny 'hosted' banner (dont deny it, i was once in the same position and know exactly whats going through your heads :p all these great ideas running through your head, and the new status is the icing on the cake)

And yes, if there is already an RP very similar to your idea, dont bother posting it up.

(hey, just out of interest, can anyone remember how long i held out before requesting an rpg of my own? i cant remember, but i think i held off a little while didn't i?)

I remember the stock market... erh, RPG frontier crash. But i blame more then just too many RPGs, it was a number of factors, although the surplus didn't really help. I agree this should not be allowed to happen again however.

Posted Image

#16 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:03 AM

I third the point copaman, well said, and couldn't have said it better. (Would have said something similar if I could have gotten online in the last few..um...weeks? took me a while to get a new laptop).

Posted Image

#17 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Lurking
  •  I'm a physician now. Scary, right?

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:35 AM

I've started spreading my corruption out of The Footsteps of Doom and into other places. It's a bit late for me to be joining RP's like Arsenica, but I will join the next interesting one (they all are) that pops up.

Anyways, most RP'ers are a member of several RP's. You wouldn't be spreading us too thinly.

Edited by CIL, 09 April 2009 - 06:35 AM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#18 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

I think we should have an RP limit, who agrees that 6-7 RPs should be the Maximum? Once one dies, a vote comes up for a list of RPs currently in development (Still in the RP Offices), and the one which sounds most promising shall be voted in as a replacement, if a set of RPs are deleted/archived, then a set of polls shall go up.

Sounds like a good idea? Maybe we should try it out?

#19 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

The limit is set purely on practical means. Activity and progress are monitored by the staff, as is indeed our job. If more people join the Frontier, there is obviously potential for more RPGs. At the moment we feel the RPG Frontier is large enough and active enough.

Stop trying to do our job for us. ;)

#20 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Lurking
  •  I'm a physician now. Scary, right?

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:40 AM

We should only have a minimum of active people that should be measured. I don't care how many RP's there are so long as they have more than 7 people in them (and growing).
I'm creeping, not gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users