976 replies to this topic

#61 Dauth

Dauth

Alcoholic Geoengineer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:12 PM

I'll go with anyway.

Thaos can't really get stronger, perhaps a couple more light weapons or even some stylishly cut leather armour, but there won't be any of this new and powerful weapons for him. Depends on what I can scavenge.

#62 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:40 PM

You guys have been arguing over whether or not Copa's character masturbates over my character? Fucking hell, I leave this for a few hours and this is what it becomes? Clearly I cannot leave you bunch of children unsupervised. :good: Also, he totally does. Tom's way into Theria. Not literally, of course. That's the funny bit.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#63 Vithar-133

Vithar-133

Violent Gandhi

• Project Team
  • 1,975 posts
  • Projects:Existing
  •  It's not your skill, boys. It's your will. Ooh-rah!

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:02 PM

DAuth, if you wish for Thaos to catch up with Vithar, he can. If I understand what you mean Thaos to be, then him catching up to Vithar shouldn't be to hard to explain away.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#64 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:10 PM

And yes, I am totally and completely saying Tom does not in any way come close to masturbating over Theria.

But when it comes to the other way round...

:good:

*Oh man, look at the udders on that babe!*

I lol'd
oh, and thats hot...

-------
And Thaos could defiantly get stronger. You could make him a master crossbow sniper, or a sneak attack extraordinaire, or any other number of more combat useful abilities could be bestowed upon him during his break from the group.

He really doesn't do much in combat at all at the moment, and his assistance in non-combat situations has been fairly menial...

And Shava should also get some weapons training, she too has been fairly useless in combat... maybe a sling, or a crossbow like Thaos, or some other ranged weapon.

But enough criticising others characters, now onto a new issue:
Bazric
Should he disappear back to his temple or go out on his own to fight evil, seen as Matias isn't here anymore(and isn't coming back is he?), or just leave him in the group?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#65 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:23 PM

The only reason Thaos and Shava haven't been too useful is that they haven't had much opportunity. Combat is not the only aspect of a good character, you know. Theria doesn't really have much going for her in terms of fighting skills either, and I've decided not to change that. Her pacifist ways are a good sign to all concerned, and her staff can thwap things pretty well when it needs to.

I wouldn't have thought Thaos or Shava would want to become better warriors. Shava is an emotional female gnome who can read and influence other people's feelings. That's a useful enough skill anyway, it's only when she comes up against people like Vayu that she can't hold her own, and neither could the rest of us. Thaos is a thief, not a soldier. You can't change the habits of a lifetime in a moment, nor would Thaos want to if I judge his character aright.

I'll do my best to put in some more challenges where Thaos's skills will be appreciated in the future. It's just that I've had the plan for Chapter 1 for a while now and it honestly didn't occur to me that someone would show up not wanting to be an awesome warrior. Clearly I underestimated the maturity of my players. :good:

As for Bazric, I'm tempted to keep him with us. He's a good character and I'm intending to develop him as far as I am able through Theria's eyes, and I think I'll put in some more of his awesome Paladin skills at some point. Besides, if Matias does decide to come back, I'd like to have Bazric handy and available. If he has a new character at that point, then I'll just keep Bazric going the way I have him now.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#66 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:35 PM

Also, Shava's two feet tall, SWG. She'd be pretty much useless in normal combat--she wouldn't be able to pull the arms back on a crossbow, and she wouldn't be able to aim high enough for a sling to be any good. So she pretty much can only develop her current skills further.

Posted Image

#67 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

I believe the opportune phrase here would be 'thinking outside the box', SWG. Combat can be won in other ways than simply swords and fireballs. Arsencia is a world fuelled by imagination.

#68 Dauth

Dauth

Alcoholic Geoengineer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:56 PM

SWG, about Thaos, he is a crack shot, if its life or death he won't miss. He can attack quickly with his knives he just doesn't do any serious damage with them. Thaos is most lethal when backed into a corner, not charging down a daemon.

I will also confess, he's the first talky character I've played in a long time after spending ages as GM.

#69 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:03 AM

Man, I so wish we could have more than one character >.> I have this awesome other guy I RP with sometimes (read: when Pyrisia was alive) that I've been wanting to use here. Think I'll just have him cameo, though.

... unless Vort loves me :good:

#70 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:43 AM

she wouldn't be able to pull the arms back on a crossbow, and she wouldn't be able to aim high enough for a sling to be any good

Gnomes have the most advanced technology of arsencia, and they are a whole people, you would think they would have developed their own weapons of a suitable size.

Like a small gnome crossbow. Thats one of the first things i imagine when visualise gnome. A see a little midget guy with a crossbow.

And why wouldn't she be able to aim high enough with a sling? i can clearly imagine a bit of 'David and Goliath' between a gnome with a sling and any other 'normal' sized creature.

SWG, about Thaos, he is a crack shot, if its life or death he won't miss.

well then we need to see more of this. i esspecially notice when other people are god-modding Thoas he is always terrified or hiding in a corner... maybe you should ask them nicely to make him less chicken(unless you want that)

and just post more of "and then Thoas gets his crossbow out and nails the dude right between the eyes with a well placed bolt", etc

I believe the opportune phrase here would be 'thinking outside the box', SWG. Combat can be won in other ways than simply swords and fireballs. Arsencia is a world fuelled by imagination.

then Shava and Thoas need to do more stuff like this. Something like... i dont know, looking over and seeing a stack of barrels, then pushing them to go and roll over the attackers.
or spooking the hoarse and carrage so it pushes the bad guys back, or even the cliche 'dropping the chandelier on the bad guys head' trick.

to me it just feels like they keep getting left out, and i want everyone to have their moments of glory
(and Vit, you need to have your guy doing more sword fighting, getting in with Tom and stuff going all melee... he's a half Furya, which are suppose to be really good at combat, and an elf which are also good with combat. added to that are his mental magics. All this should make him an excellent fighter. Get in there and do it!

Posted Image

#71 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:50 AM

Hoarse is not Horse.

Shava and Thaos do their shit. Just cuz they aren't in a melee fight, they're there, contributing in their own special way.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#72 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:17 AM

By hiding in a corner? doing nothing?

It just doesn't sound very interesting for Ravnin and Dauth to me... i would much rather be RPing about my character doing stuff like fighting the bad guys, then about them wetting them self in the corner.

I dont know, maybe they feel differently about it to me...

Posted Image

#73 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:46 AM

First off, this isn't WOW. I wasn't here for the original Arsencia, but nothing that I've written or Vort's written so far has implied technological prowess of the gnomes. Moreover, the gnomish society I envision is a bunch of antisocial individuals who hate the world; that's basically what it says in the racial description. Without cooperation, you can't exchange information and therefore the gnomes could not be technologically advanced.

Secondly, Shava doesn't wet herself in the corner. Granted, when we fought a fire-breathing drake she had a breakdown--but that's the equivalent of taking the stairs when your parents died because a cable snapped and the elevator crashed to the ground. In case you hadn't figured it out yet, the reason Shava's got a melted face is because her adoptive father shoved her face first into an oven. Considering that she got lit on fire by the drake, I'd say hers was a fairly predictable reaction.

I'd also like to say that Shava did as much as anyone in the fight against Vayu; I've been in the corner--yes--but Shava doesn't need to be in someone's face to incapacitate them.

Finally, I don't really enjoy the "OMG!!1! My character stabzes you with a giant sw0rd and then chopzes yous in 1/2!!!" type of character much. I chose a gnome for a reason; and that's the same reason my Icarus character is an academic, not a gunslinger. A bit of variety in style makes the roleplay more interesting.

Posted Image

#74 Vithar-133

Vithar-133

Violent Gandhi

• Project Team
  • 1,975 posts
  • Projects:Existing
  •  It's not your skill, boys. It's your will. Ooh-rah!

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:40 AM

I don't think the party had reason yet to trust Vithar more than a few seconds in open combat with his glowing katana drawn. And more often than not, most of the battle is over before he gets the time to act, and I don't want to attempt to rewrite anything just to give Vithar five minutes of glory.

Perhaps when he returns he'll play a more active role rather than a support-type character. I intend to get him his bow back as well, although, him not having a bow is mainly my fault...because I broke it.

Edited by Vithar Megilaglar, 17 January 2009 - 06:42 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#75 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:57 AM

First off, this isn't WOW. I wasn't here for the original Arsencia, but nothing that I've written or Vort's written so far has implied technological prowess of the gnomes

I have never played WOW(i think it sucks balls and is a rip off and is really lame, Diablo was so much better in every way), so i dont know anything about it, though from what you have said i am guessing they also have technologically advanced gnomes.

and yes, you weren't here for the original, even i only just scraped in on the end of it, but technological advantage was one of the gnomes only redeeming features in the original (and even the current) Arsencia.

quoted directly from vorts description of gnomes:

they are a great deal more innovative, so much so that they have engineered a basic arquebus, among other minor mechanical devices.

and also:

It almost seems that their technological advancements are simply to allow them revenge on the world for not being hideous tiny monsters.

So, gnomes have the most advanced technology of Arsencia, like i said.

And i didn't literally mean they were pissing themselves in a corner, just that they were hiding/cowering while the others fought the battle.

Posted Image

#76 Taralom

Taralom

Self-proclaimed A**hole

• Project Team
  • 1,519 posts
  • Projects:Turned to Writing
  •  I R GOOGL'd

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:31 AM

I'm going to have little time to write, guys, got a Test-week coming up. A week full of tests, tests and more tests, duh ;)
So i'll need my time to study. I'll be active enough not to get behind very much, time-wise spoken :wink_new:
If the above post offended you in any way,
please take note that, until further notice, I don't care, so get lost.

#77 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:08 AM

@ Taralom: That's fine, you'll have plenty of time to figure something out later on. We're always happy to work around real-life considerations.

@ Ravnin and SWG: Actually, I've been intending to change that. The gnomes do not have gunpowder weapons. Nobody in Arsencia has gunpowder. The gnomes would probably have come up with tiny little crossbows and ballistae and things, but they definitely do not have gunpowder weapons. By the way, SWG, I've noticed this in a couple of your posts I've read in the last few minutes: the word is 'definitely', not 'defiantly'. They mean two different things.

@ Vithar: Maybe we would have trusted you more if you had drawn your sword a little more readily? Tom used his soulfyre thing in our second decent battle, and that was pretty weird, as a weapon. Nyrsavai is Vithar's best asset, along with his mental magic and his natural reflexes and whatnot. As a warrior born, he should use it more often, unless you intend to go into detail about some past history as to why he doesn't like using it.

@ Dauth: I'm actually with SWG on this one. I suppose the main reason Thaos hasn't done much fighting is because you haven't been around too often, so we haven't really been able to get a feel on how Thaos would fight, so we've all gone with just keeping him in the corner as a thief rather than a warrior.

By the way, just out of curiosity, I'm assuming most people imagine the Furya as simply humanoid. I would like to reiterate that they are not, so Vithar won't look entirely normal, and Arngrim will look plain weird. To quote myself and my description of them:

The Furya live on the southern tip of the peninsula in the south-west of Arsencia. Their numbers are few, but their strength is great, both magically and physically. They rarely travel outside the confines of their realm, traditionally, but recently have been seen far and wide. Their presence is often seen as a bad omen by most Arsencians, as they have a particularly deathly look about them. The Furya are about 6'6", on average, broad but skeletal, with very pale skin, long talons on both hands and feet and long, sharp teeth in very wide mouths. They also have stubby winglets which are not strong enough to grant them flight, but mean they can glide short distances. Their magic is extremely powerful, much more so than most humans can ever manage, but it drains their life force as they use it, shortening their life span.

#78 Dauth

Dauth

Alcoholic Geoengineer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

He is a thief not a warrior, but the best term would be bandit. He's tough enough until someone who really knows how to fight shows up. I was wiped out for most of the Vayu fight with the Winter Vomiting Bug (no way was I risking throwing up on my PC) which is why Thaos wasn't around.

#79 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

I got ignored :wink_new: guess that answers that last statement in my above post :p

Guess it's time to try a different tactic; How would you feel about one member (me) running more than one character, Vort? There's only so much one can do with a fourteen-foot tall Minotaur, and I have this awesome character idea I can't use :( if you like, I can have him not even join the party to avoid confusion.

Somehow I feel you'll decline, but it won't hurt to ask :p right? Right? ;)

#80 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:34 PM

Oops, forgot to answer that bit. Mike, I'd prefer not to set a precedent of having two characters apiece, although I'm pretty sure you could manage it. I'm kinda torn on this one. I'm inclined to say yes, you can have a second character within or without the group, but there again, I really don't want everyone doing that. Therefore, I'm going to go out on an unprecedented limb and say yes, you can. However, should anyone else ask I will assess each situation individually. Also, before you do put up a topic for this character in the applications, PM me with the details, or see if you can catch me online to discuss it. I'll try to be online at some point over the next couple of days, but I'm not sure how well Britain synchronises with American time. So, down to you on that bit. I'd also like you to try and make this character as active as possible, if possible more so than I've managed with Bazric as my secondary chap.

I await your response. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users