117 replies to this topic

#21 Lurtzy

Lurtzy

Forerunner

• Project Team
  • 1,169 posts
  • Projects:Returning to modding

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:15 AM

I wouldn't say that we're in yet RG. We need to just hope and pray that people vote :p

Trying to hold on...

#22 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope
  •  One who is not afraid of new challenges

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:28 AM

So I doubt we'll ever be in the forefront of modding, but that is not why we mod BFME. We mod because we love LotR, and it's a chance to make our imprint in middle-earth.

Hell yeah! :p

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#23 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:49 AM

Well, it's a daily ranked system - you're the 70th something mod to be ranked for doing shit today. You're still less than nobody; thanks for the three/four page views and meaningless MOTY vote.

End of the day, you're not going to win the popularity contest, ever. Ditch the MOTY popularity contest, and no BfME mod has anywhere near anything good enough to show for itself. It's a pretty damned simple formula.

Well then, how about a mod for BFME I that will add an entire new world, Narnia, complete with a new GUI look and campaigns? Is that innovative enough? :p

Miles off.

#24 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:58 AM

Yeah guys, I don't think any T3A mod will make. Only one made it, TEA, and I'm fairly sure it had more followers than any mod right now, even RJ and SEE. TEA just has a level of completeness, along with Cel's own distinct style, the others haven't seemed to achieve yet. For example, I can look at a skin and usually tell if it's his. Of course I've played TEA more than anyone, but shush :p
Plus the LOTR frenzy has died down considerably since then. :shiftee:

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#25 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

A man who used to be here

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:58 AM

I think you're being too negative, ambershee. :p

So what if we're doomed never to make the Top 100? Actually, we've beaten that doom, cause Elven Alliance managed to! I would rather have my fun at this than go, "We'll never realistically make it."

I enjoy LOTR, I enjoy the BFME series, and I enjoy modding. That's what ultimately counts even when we never make it into the Top 100.

Edited by Jeth Calark, 09 January 2009 - 04:00 AM.

#26 Elrond99

Elrond99

title available

• Hosted
  • 464 posts
  • Projects:None at the moment
  •  Modder without work and time :-S

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

Well the thing that BFME modding is LOTR fan-based is true, but could be an advantage for the future

There´s Conquest which is released next month, I think, and there are the Hobbit films (2010/11). These two events will probably bring life back to the community, especially if our modders try to find out as much as possible about Conquest modding soon, then this forum will become the center of Conquest Modding and therefore the number of members will rise again

#27 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:12 PM

Is there a way to see how many votes your mod got? :p (in ModDB)
Ridder Geel

#28 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:38 PM

Hmm... Let's hope there won't be BFME: The Hobbit.... :shiftee:
Or maybe it could be good... If they upgraded the engine, and actually made a good looking game... Meaning, not go the same way it did from BFME1 to RotWK... down :p

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#29 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:50 PM

There probably will be - and a number of other Hobbit based games thrown out at random by EA. Battle of Five Armies, anyone?

Is there a way to see how many votes your mod got? :p (in ModDB)

No.

#30 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:54 PM

Well the thing that BFME modding is LOTR fan-based is true, but could be an advantage for the future

There´s Conquest which is released next month, I think, and there are the Hobbit films (2010/11). These two events will probably bring life back to the community, especially if our modders try to find out as much as possible about Conquest modding soon, then this forum will become the center of Conquest Modding and therefore the number of members will rise again

that would be great! :p

#31 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:51 PM

i'm not sure if we will be the centre of Conquest modding being a BFME section unless T3A expands itself.
But perhaps there could be a sister community for it or something.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#32 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:17 AM

It's still not know if Conquest will even have mod support.

#33 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:21 AM

we'll just have to wait and see.
But knowing EA any mod support will be limited

#34 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:39 AM

Some support is better than none. Don't some companies just flat out declare mods on their games illegal? :)

#35 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:26 AM

End of the day, you're not going to win the popularity contest, ever. Ditch the MOTY popularity contest, and no BfME mod has anywhere near anything good enough to show for itself. It's a pretty damned simple formula.

Ouch... don't really agree with BFME mods not having any good material to show, but that's your opinion I guess. Bash us all you want, I'm still proud of my mod and the BFME modding community in general.

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#36 DIGI_Byte

DIGI_Byte

Unitologist

• Hosted
  • 1,747 posts
  • Projects:GTFO
  •  Everybody do the Flop!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:19 AM

Unfortunately I agree with ambershee to a degree, but not just to BFME but all RTS mods, Even if you add new units and change game play around, its still a plain old RTS, The only famous one that changes the RTS is DoTA and that has changed the gameplay from an RTS style to more of an RPG,

Lyon-Fixed.gif
RIP 2323

#37 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:28 AM

I think you're being too negative, ambershee. :)

No, he is being realistic.

Ouch... don't really agree with BFME mods not having any good material to show, but that's your opinion I guess. Bash us all you want, I'm still proud of my mod and the BFME modding community in general.

It is not a bash on us, it is a bash on the game. The engine is extremely limited compared to others. The best bfme mods are still bad in the entire gaming mod community.
Posted Image

#38 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:06 AM

It's less that the engine is limited and more we have limited access to it.
If we had access to the hardcoded files we could make our mods a lot more interesting.
But we do what we can with the little we've got, so I think credit has to be due for what we do.

#39 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:07 AM

Unfortunately I agree with ambershee to a degree, but not just to BFME but all RTS mods, Even if you add new units and change game play around, its still a plain old RTS, The only famous one that changes the RTS is DoTA and that has changed the gameplay from an RTS style to more of an RPG,

Don't really see a problem with that... if you're going to mod a RTS game, don't really see a reason to make it a FPS or anything. And if you mod a FPS game, you're probably not going to change it to a whole different style either. :excl:

It is not a bash on us, it is a bash on the game. The engine is extremely limited compared to others. The best bfme mods are still bad in the entire gaming mod community.

Whatever... so I guess all my work means little because I chose a bad engine. You know, if you dislike BFME so much, than why stick around? :)

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#40 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  crazy coder

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:32 AM

It all comes down to opinion on how you define what a good and/or successful mod is. Yes, RTS are limited on what you can do with them, and the engine really limits things on the techical quality on par with other genres/current games. Without extreme effort, you can't change an RTS to a FPS, a racer, or something completely different. With the large amount of content needed in a RTS, a total conversion take an incredible amount of time/energy. And while technically I could probably transform BFME into something else completely, what's the point other than to say that I did? With map scripting there are a lot of possibilities that have not, but it requires a someone with the full-range of skills and desire to do it. There are just other things I'd work on.

But if you're like me, where RTS games are much more enjoyable especially in the long term, I find more enjoyability in a high-quality BFME mod than I'll ever have in almost any retail game I've purchased in the past few years.

...no BfME mod has anywhere near anything good enough to show for itself. It's a pretty damned simple formula.

Now I won't argue with a number of things that have been said. But you just went too far in putting down everything that anyone has ever worked on in BFME. For me, in terms of enjoyability and not some technical leap-frog contest, I'd play RJ, TEA, Four Ages, The Fourth Age, WoA in the long-term over most mods on moddb. But that's just my taste. :)

I'm a die-hard Lord of the Rings Fan, who enjoys playing and working with BFME more than any other game I've played or tried to work on. :excl: Sure the learning curve is easy at first, but with the combination of WB, WB scripting, ini modding, modelling, etc. you can push boundaries that I'm sure most don't ever know about.

Robert J.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users