- Pick out a hero below and PM me with your choice, including your e-mail address and a reference to this thread in the message title. For logistical reasons, I need to know who is working on what so I don't end up with duplicates.
- I will reply via e-mail with the corresponding hero image and mark it as checked out for work by putting your name after it. Note that you can only check out one image at a time.
- You will erase the background of the image in Photoshop or a similar professional image-editing program. During this process, you'll be required to adhere to a list of guidelines in an effort to maintain consistency and quality. Failure to do so could prevent your image from being used.
- When you're finished with the image, e-mail it back to me. If it meets the guidelines, I'll cross it off the list and you'll be free to check out another. If not, I'll tell you what's wrong with it.
- Once it's approved, I'll turn your finished image into an icon and, eventually, an in-game hero unit.
- Don't resize or crop the original image.
- Don't apply any sort of adjustments (Brightness/Contrast, Hue/Saturation, Levels, etc.) to the original image.
- Use the Eraser Tool or equivalent to remove the background by hand. Magic Wand and such won't cut it (no pun intended).
- Erase the background to transparent opposed to painting it to a matte color.
- Save the image as either a RGB + transparency (non-indexed) PNG or PSD.
- You only need to carve out a bust-sized portion of the background for an icon. Don't bother going lower than the biceps or so on a full-body image.
- While you can't adjust the original, you're encouraged to do whatever you want to a copy of it on another layer in order to better discern where the character ends and the background starts (some of these are kind of dark and may require guesswork). Adjustment layers are another good option, as long as you don't save them on.
- I find it helps to keep a black and/or white layer underneath the image that you can turn on and off to see if you're erasing close enough. For example, on an image with a dark background, you should not see a black border around the character when you put it in front of a white layer.
- Concave corners (as are common with hair outlines) are trouble to erase with a round brush. I try to copy the corner to another layer and take it one edge at a time. You might also try using some of the non-standard brushes.
Galactic Empire / Imperial Remnant
Aban (no official image - on hold)
Harbid (no official image - on hold)
Natasi Daala - Stygian
Ysanne Isard - feld
Phoenix Rising Movement / Alliance to Restore the Republic / New Republic
Gavin Darklighter - skie9173
Mon Mothma (improvement)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (improvement)
Walex Blissex - Hirken
These are all of the heroes that I currently have icon-suitable images for, but I'll update it periodically as images get finished and I track down more. Feel free to use this thread to discuss who else you'd like to see in the mod, or anything else related to heroes.
Edited by Phoenix Rising, 29 August 2009 - 04:25 PM.