Photo

Saving problem

41 replies to this topic

#1 Antony

Antony
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:25 PM

I have looked through the forum but have not found a solution to the save problem I am seeing, apologies if I have missed it.

All I get after a long wait is unable to save check your disc space. I have tried this on GFFA and Lite and one of the other smaller ones.

I have downloaded it from 2 locations to try and make sure I had the 1.1.1 version but could not see any differences and certainly had the same problem.

I am ok with the long load times etc but cannot play the game from start to end without saving, time will not allow that.

Any help appreciated amd also thanks for still working on this Phoenix I am looking forward to playing it when I can save.

Antony

#2 Kitkun

Kitkun

Hater

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:13 PM

So... how much disk space do you have on the drive? (I just realized that I have no idea where the saves are stored.)

I wonder if the save file in addition to the memory already used is hitting the game's own limit before it's done...

Frosty Freaky Foreign Forum Fox

<DevXen> Today I was at the store and saw a Darth Vader action figure that said "Choking Hazard." It was great.

#3 Antony

Antony
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:39 AM

So... how much disk space do you have on the drive? (I just realized that I have no idea where the saves are stored.)

I wonder if the save file in addition to the memory already used is hitting the game's own limit before it's done...

I would not have posted if I had not checked that first but anyways. I have nearly 100Gb of space left and have 2Gb of memory of which about 1.5 at most is used by the game and other rubbish. Back in the good old days this would be a very valid question though.

I cleared out the saves folder just in case and noted they were 25,000k roughly in size in later games. They are stored in application data if I remember right, under your user name on the C drive. I only have one partition before ppl ask lol.

Not saying I have missed anything dumb that is more than possible but I have tried I think the obvious.

More help if possible please.

#4 Antony

Antony
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:48 AM

Was just thinking more on that reply and I might have dismissed it a little quickly. Why, well if the game needs the 1.1Gb of memory it uses to run and the same to save on top then yes my memory would run out and maybe that is it. I am no expert on how games save so don't know if this is how it works or if that is why.

This does make me wonder how other hungry games manage it as I am sure I most likely have other games that use as much memory but save ok.

Expert needed on this possible reason I feel.

Edited by Antony, 18 January 2009 - 12:49 AM.

#5 Kitkun

Kitkun

Hater

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:54 AM

After running some (Relatively) quick tests with GFFA, I believe I can safely say that it is an game engine/RAM thing. Running the game normally, I get the same error upon starting GFFA and immediately trying to save.

Running with the game modified to use larger amounts of RAM, it did manage to save, albeit slowly. (BTW, I can also say that using the modification I mentioned soesn't do a thing for lag.)

<DevXen> Today I was at the store and saw a Darth Vader action figure that said "Choking Hazard." It was great.

#6 coinich

coinich

title available

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:39 AM

How did you work that one out?

#7 Kitkun

Kitkun

Hater

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:26 AM

I ran the game with the normal set up, where I got the error.
Then I ran the game with some modified files that allows it to use more RAM, and it worked just fine with the exact same situation.

The changes require a bit of technical knowledge and can result in an bricked computer if done incorrectly, so I don't really want to spell it out entirely, less somebody kill their computer and get ticked off.
Plus it uses someone else's tool, and I don't want them getting random emails because of me.

Edited by Kitkun, 18 January 2009 - 07:29 AM.

#8 Antony

Antony
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

That does not sound like a solution for me then as I am not keen on modifying/risking my computer for the game.

I also must assume that everyone else is playing it without saving and either are not worried or not having this problem.

The problem did not happen with 1.0.

Any more help out there?

#9 Kitkun

Kitkun

Hater

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:49 PM

Best I can recommend is one of three things:
1. Play Thrawn Campaign, Shadow Hand, and skirmish. They should work fine.
2. Keep it running until you've defeated some of the pirates, then it will work. Doesn't have to be that many, though I don't know how many.
3. Wait for the modified campaigns to be released by PR and Ghost.

Sorry I can't help further.

Edited by Kitkun, 18 January 2009 - 05:50 PM.

#10 Antony

Antony
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:50 PM

2. Keep it running until you've defeated some of the pirates, then it will work. Doesn't have to be that many, though I don't know how many.

Thank you very much for your time replying much appreciated.

I think I will try number 2 and then hope for 3.

#11 feld

feld

title available

• Project Team
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:08 AM

Kitkun,

I've got this problem as well. I take it that "upgrade my RAM" won't help due to the fact that the memory limitation is EAW imposed?

#12 Tropical Bob

Tropical Bob

title available

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:22 AM

In Core Worlds, defeating a few planets should speed it up a bit. I noticed a considerable difference after maybe like 5 or so.

#13 Fox83

Fox83
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:30 AM

Or you may try manualy set how much of HDD is used instead of RAM (donĀ“t know how it is called in english). After setting this to 8 GB it enabled saving for me (GFFA lite).

Edited by Fox83, 19 January 2009 - 06:31 AM.

#14 coinich

coinich

title available

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:10 PM

I ran the game with the normal set up, where I got the error.
Then I ran the game with some modified files that allows it to use more RAM, and it worked just fine with the exact same situation.

The changes require a bit of technical knowledge and can result in an bricked computer if done incorrectly, so I don't really want to spell it out entirely, less somebody kill their computer and get ticked off.
Plus it uses someone else's tool, and I don't want them getting random emails because of me.

Would you be more comfortable pming me the information?

Or you may try manualy set how much of HDD is used instead of RAM (donĀ“t know how it is called in english). After setting this to 8 GB it enabled saving for me (GFFA lite).

Can you describe this a little better?

#15 Kitkun

Kitkun

Hater

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

Would you be more comfortable pming me the information?

Can you describe this a little better?

As soon as I get back from work, sure.
I'm assuming the Page File, though mines always been set over 4GB (And can't go higher), so I have no idea why that would work.

#16 coinich

coinich

title available

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

If it helps, my page file was set from 2GB to 4GB. Since I have two partitions and an extra HDD (over 500GB total), could I get a better benefit from using small portions of multiple drives instead of one large portion?

Edited by coinich, 19 January 2009 - 05:55 PM.

#17 Kitkun

Kitkun

Hater

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:03 PM

Not sure. I think the page file needs to be on the system disk, but google will probably help more.

Edited by Kitkun, 20 January 2009 - 02:23 AM.

#18 feld

feld

title available

• Project Team
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:21 PM

If it helps, my page file was set from 2GB to 4GB. Since I have two partitions and an extra HDD (over 500GB total), could I get a better benefit from using small portions of multiple drives instead of one large portion?

Found this here

"In spite of the name 'virtual memory' the paging file is really just a chunk of reserved hard drive space where data may be written and retrieved as needed. Since the paging file and operating system files are by default located on the same drive, concurrent access to both locations is impossible. One or the other has to wait, slowing down overall system performance. What can you do to minimize the delay? If your system only has one hard drive the best option is to pack the motherboard with as much RAM as possible to minimize paging file accesses.

If the operating system has more than one hard drive, place the paging file on a drive which does not contain the operating system files. A step up from placing the paging file on a separate drive is to place it on a dedicated drive. Even if you don't have a drive to dedicate solely to the paging file, placing it on a different drive that contains files which are not accessed frequently will help the performance issue."

Hope that helps...I only have one drive. So I'm still poking around with changing paging file sizes.

#19 Antony

Antony
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

After reading some of the above I changed my virtual memory's upper limit from 4096Mb to 8096Mb. I then tried saving upon entering the GFFA lite version and it saved. No others tested as yet and it does not improve the lag.

#20 feld

feld

title available

• Project Team
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

After reading some of the above I changed my virtual memory's upper limit from 4096Mb to 8096Mb. I then tried saving upon entering the GFFA lite version and it saved. No others tested as yet and it does not improve the lag.

Glad to hear that this works! I'm about to restart and try this now. Not surprised that it doesn't fix the lag. Looking at the task manager CPU history, my CPUs (2x3 GHz) are maxed out whenever the galactic map is being displayed.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users