Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

I like George RR Martin's stuff (A Song of Ice and Fire), though I would like him to finish the next book. Before I blow something up. In impatience.

I read Star Wars, but I've vowed never to endorse the franchise by buying one again. They keep turning Troy Denning and Karen Traviss loose on perfectly good IP and turrning it into a load of trash. Even Zahn, who wrote the five best SW books, has gone downhill as Outbound Flight and Survivor's Quest were pretty bad. Stackpole and Allaston are gone too. Matthew Stover and James Luceno are the only 2 authors worth reading left in the franchise, so it's a pity they aren't asked to write the actual story-extending books, but merely a couple of fillers and independant novels.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#43 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

Jedi Master

• Project Team
  • 1,822 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:40 PM

I like Karen Traviss.....especially the Mandalorians.... :p

Allston is easily my favorite. His X-wing novels are the cream of the crop for me. :D Zahn is good too, but I haven't read Outbound. Survivor's Quest was okay.

Has anyone read Tolkien's Lord of the Rings? *tries to put on a straight face*

#44 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hmmm... that's a new one. Can't say I've heard of it. :D oops... :p
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#45 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

Jedi Master

• Project Team
  • 1,822 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:35 PM

my sister just came home from the library with two books, both of which I have never read before and want to.

The first is Eragon. I've seen the movie (perfect waste of two hours of my life) and naturally I want to see the true magnitude of the story. and please, don't be telling stuff to me about ripping off and all that. I'll read the book and my own decision now. (Naturally, I'll follow up with the rest of them)

The second is Black, by Ted Dekker. It is the first book in his Circle Trilogy. Most of you probably have never heard of Ted Dekker (although I could be wrong). He is a Christian author noted for thrillers with very unusual plots. I absolutely love him as an author. Again, I'll be reading the entire trilogy.

Edited by Jeth Calark, 23 January 2009 - 07:36 PM.

#46 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,837 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:47 PM

Well yes i have ;)
And at the moment i am reading it again, it helps me think of funny things to do with my mod :p
Ridder Geel

#47 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

I read Star Wars, but I've vowed never to endorse the franchise by buying one again. They keep turning Troy Denning and Karen Traviss loose on perfectly good IP and turrning it into a load of trash. Even Zahn, who wrote the five best SW books, has gone downhill as Outbound Flight and Survivor's Quest were pretty bad. Stackpole and Allaston are gone too. Matthew Stover and James Luceno are the only 2 authors worth reading left in the franchise, so it's a pity they aren't asked to write the actual story-extending books, but merely a couple of fillers and independant novels.

I think I've asked Nert, but ever read Dark Rendezvous? Great book...Sean Stewart wrote it. I wish he'd written more. I love Stover and Luceno, Allaston is still decent. Did you read Death Star?

I like Karen Traviss.....especially the Mandalorians.... :p

Allston is easily my favorite. His X-wing novels are the cream of the crop for me. ;) Zahn is good too, but I haven't read Outbound. Survivor's Quest was okay.

She killed Mara. I love mandos, but she killed fricking Mara. Zahn said he wanted to do a Luke-Mara-Ben book after the legacy series, but she killed Mara. I did love the wraith squadron novels.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#48 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

Jedi Master

• Project Team
  • 1,822 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

Contrary to popular thought, she wasn't the one who decided to do that. The Star Wars authors usually don't make those type of decisions. ;)

It is a shame that Mara got killed, as she was easily one of the most supremely best characters to come out of the EU. :p

#49 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:18 PM

Don't remember which book it was, but Zhan wrote it. Loved it :p

#50 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

Contrary to unpopular thought, she brought the idea up, even if she didn't have the final word, she suggested it.

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#51 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

Jedi Master

• Project Team
  • 1,822 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

I keep a VERY close watch on the SW books, and I have heard nothing of the sort. If you can refer me to where you saw that, I would appreciate it. At any rate, what's done is done.

mike, if you can tell me what the book was about, I can identify for you (yes, from memory). Zahn is good....

#52 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

It had five (?) Stormtroopers on the run after one of them killed a commanding officer that threatened him with a blaster. I love stories like that (fightin' the man 'n all). They started calling themselves 'the Emperor's Hand' or somethin' like that, and Mara met up with them at the end. Was pretty epic :p

#53 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

Allegiance. Poor Mara...

Jeth...I forget where it was, but I think I saw a reference to it in the last SW insider...

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#54 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:21 PM

Dark Rendezvous was also good, it's a pity he hasn't written more. The almost standalone books based in the newer trilogy tend to be quite good, Labyrinth of Evil, Cloak of Deception, Dark Rendezvous etc. I have read Death Star and I didn't like it much... there's far too much retconning going on (yay a lucrehulk randomly appears). I also have a great dislike for Daala. Allegiance was really meh too IMO, he really ended up making Mara an uber-sith-jedi instead of the special operations person with absolutely minimal force training that he described her as in the Hand of Thrawn and Heir to the Empire books.

(and it was the Hand of Justice mike :p)

I don't mind Traviss' treatment of the mandalorians that much, it's just when she goes into non-Mando territory that everything breaks down. The mandalorian stuff was actually Legacy's only saving grace, but that flew out the window when she killed my second favorite Imperial for no particular reason.

Oh and you people probably knew, but the new series (Fate of the Jedi) is going to be penned by Troy Denning (chief offenses: the nano-killer, the Dark Nest books, the Chiss) Christie Golden (chief offenses: Star Trek Voyager (oh god i've read some and they're awful) and WoW books), and Allaston (meh one's not going to save this). We're doomed.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#55 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:19 AM

You read the Falcon book? I thought it was alright...ship's got an interesting history :p

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#56 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

Jedi Master

• Project Team
  • 1,822 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:39 AM

The Falcon is an interesting ship...... :p

That's Allston, not Allaston. ;)

I've never heard of Christie Golden before, and was wanting to see how she would be like. I agree, Troy Denning isn't exactly on my list of favs. It doesn't help that he's the one usually putting in sexual innuendos.

The reason why Star Wars is doing some major stuff (nano-killers, killing Mara, the deep and shocking stuff) is because they're trying not to fall back into the "hero is always in trouble but everyone is okay at the end" type of books that the Bantam ones suffered from. They're trying to show that everything doesn't always end up "happily ever after with all the good guys alive." People get killed fighting, and the ones who do get killed or hurt are not necessarily all "redshirts" (to borrow a Star Trek phrase).

Legacy as a series though was entrancing. On one hand, you see every step Jacen took to the Dark Side, and the logic seems okay. But on the other hand, you step back and go, "Okay, I know that was evil, plain and simple."

Daala is.......Daala. I haven't got the chance to read Allegiance.

Traviss does well with clones too, but that is a sort of extension of the Mandos.

Just for you, Nertea:

Wedge [Antilles] gave him a grin. "With the right tools--say, a hundred thousand Ewoks and a month to prepare--you could probably do that. In the meantime, we have the right tools to subvert our Imperial admiral."

"What tools?"

"Oh, Wes's [Janson, a pilot] maturity, your optimism, and my diplomatic skills."

Hobbie [a pilot] buried his face in his hands. "We're doomed."

-from X-wing: Starfighters of Adumar. by Aaron Allston.

#57 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

The first is Eragon. I've seen the movie (perfect waste of two hours of my life) and naturally I want to see the true magnitude of the story. and please, don't be telling stuff to me about ripping off and all that. I'll read the book and my own decision now. (Naturally, I'll follow up with the rest of them)

When I once said I liked Eragon, Nertea gave me this :p

http://forums.revora...&...st&p=556287
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#58 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:11 PM

Yub yub, commander.

Wes is probably my 3rd favorite sw character by the way, Jeth.

Edited by Yoda_, 25 January 2009 - 02:12 PM.

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#59 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

Jedi Master

• Project Team
  • 1,822 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

@2play: :p :p ;) :lol: :lol: That's hilarious, especially coming from Nertea. :xd:

@Yoda: I love Wes too. It's impossible not to like him. :p Naturally, he shines best in the X-wing novels. :p

#60 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:45 PM

RESURRECTION!

This is potentially a very interesting thread, so it's worth a little necro. Basically, Star Wars novels could be awesome, I've never read any of them, but I fundamentally disagree with the Star Wars universe. Mostly because I absolutely loathe the films. I also dislike people who use magic but try to pass it off as something else. It's magic, OK!?

My recommendation for you guys is Juliet E. McKenna. She's so far written two series that I am aware of. The first of these is the Einarinn series. It's told mostly in first person, switching the main character between books, and it is done very well. I would recommend that series to everyone to at least try. If you like it there's a second series of which I cannot remember the name because I haven't yet read, but my sister (who has) tells me they're not quite as good, but are still awesome.

I also recommend David Gemmell. Start with the early works and progress chronologically from there. They get slowly worse, if I'm honest, with a few exceptions, but they're still worth reading. Pretty standard fantasy.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users