• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:04 AM

I saw the demo on Steam, and it's awesome! Surprisingly, though, TTFaF isn't too hard.

Hello everyone. I am back.

#102 JUS_SAURON

JUS_SAURON

El Shaddai

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  • Projects: BFME2 MOD - Power Of The Ring
  •   INI Coder

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:42 AM

Just Got StrongHold Collection ... super stategy game

Think AOE but with more emphasis on building castles and maintaing a strong peasant economy

I recomend StrongHold 2 and Stronghold Legends .. play in that order

The others are not as enticing ...

StrongHold 2 shows you the gameplay with two campaigns showing Economy management and Warfare

Stronghold Legends .. has a longer Campaign and throws in magical elements

Play it people !!!!

#103 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:21 AM

I thought Stronghold Legends was DREADFUL, a step back from Stronghold 2. And Stronghold 2 was pretty awful as well!
Stronghold and Stronghold Crusaders - now those were absolutely perfect. I still play them.

#104 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:51 PM

Updated answer:

I've had a bit of a Total War binge lately in the run-down from Shogun 2. Had a quick bash on Rome (with DarthMod installed) and on Medieval 2 (with Total War: Kingdoms installed. The game is so much bigger with that) recently. My one real crit of Shogun 2 is that it's a bit too...linear I suppose is the word - there's really only one or two roads to get to each town to conquer it, so it's too easy to chokepoint. So it turns into something a bit like connect-the-dots with wanton bloodshed. I know it was always somewhat like that but not to that degree.

I've also been swizzing about on Portal 2, Sanctum and Civ V. I really need to kick off a new massive Galciv 2 campaign. That should eat what little remains of my life after a 60-hour week...

#105 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:31 PM

Just bought an Xbox 360, going to play Mass Effect on it :)
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#106 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:44 PM

Oh, I've been playing Oblivion again. I've been playing for a couple of hours every couple of evenings, but it's already clocked 100 hours (overall playing time) :| Ouch. Mages Guild/Thieves Guild/Dark Brotherhood missions are completed, and I'm part way through Fighters Guild. Haven't touched main quest.
Might start playing Fallout 3/NV instead. It's a nice break from revision...

Edited by Puppeteer, 26 April 2011 - 05:46 PM.

#107 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:51 AM

Oblivion all the way! ^_^ Finished the main questlines for Dark Brotherhood, Main, Shivering Isles, and Thieves with one character, and I'm starting a new character wherein I actually portray them realistically (i.e. eating, sleeping, not running EVERYWHERE, etc.). It's surprisingly enjoyable for a self-imposed handicap. Also been playing some Total War (thumbs up to Ash), although only Medieval II. I have one campaign going as Venice, and another one going on Third Age: Total War as Dale. Must resist urge to cheat financially... :p

Oh, and the occasional series on SWB II. Chainguns are awesome.

Edited by {IRS}Athos, 27 April 2011 - 12:57 AM.

BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#108 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:02 AM

Venice is the best. That is all.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#109 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:06 AM

Yep yep. I love being politically opportunistic, i.e. declaring war on the Byzantines as soon as it becomes apparent that several thousand Muslim warriors are going to come out of Turkey and stomp their collective asses for great justice Allah.

#110 Guest_DM613_*

Guest_DM613_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:40 AM

I copied code from various peoples graphics...
I also changed one a little and reposted it (the how much noob are you).
I made some of the code from scratch to get it all together.
Is that all good?

#111 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

Fuck, Hatch won't work. STILL.
Someone ban this bot!

#112 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

Boom! Done.

Games I am currently enjoying the fuck out of:-
- Pro Evo 4 on the PS2. I found it in the Soul Calibur 2 case for some reason, but whatever.
- Worms 2 on the PC. Classic.
- Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare on the Xbox 360. Pretty good fun, all things considered. Lots of amusing references and things.

Games I will be enjoying the fuck out of in about two weeks when I go back to my parents' house and have unrestricted access to my brother's laptop with it's much better processor and graphics card (he's off on his gap year):-
- Shogun 2. Looking forward to it.
- Victoria 2. He got me this for Christmas, but my laptop can't run it. So goddamn annoying.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#113 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

Shogun 2, eh? I'm still playing Medieval II. I've heard Shogun is awesome though... might have to look into that. Also I have my eye out for Assassins' Creed for the PC. High time to figure out what all the hype is about.

#114 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:13 PM

I could never really get into Medieval 2. I liked the idea, I liked the period, but I didn't like the execution. I really wasn't a fan of having to choose either castles or cities for all the settlements, I much preferred the idea that all towns, when they get big enough, can have anything and everything. It just makes more sense. You can have a castle inside a city, for God's sake! Empire had a brilliant system, though. I'll be interested to see how Shogun 2 improves on what they had going on there.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#115 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:26 PM

It was just a way to introduce a bit of extra strategy to the game. A castle town let you build the powerful military units, a regular town let you rake in tax and trade and religious benefits. Generally I auto-resolved city-conquest battles because castles are a total ballache. But it was worth conquering the western part of the Holy Roman Empire, just for the shitton of castles it gives you. It makes massacring France a total doddle.

Shogun 2 incorporates the system to an extent in that you can only build so many improvement types to each town (and there are more improvement types than there are slots), so not every unit type is available in every town. F'rexample, if you only have three improvement slots, and you already have a Buddhist Temple, a Stables and an Archery Range, you're only getting warrior monks, horsemen and archers, as well as the basic yari ashigaru guys. You build the foreign port, and you can't build the high-level warships but you get matchlock ashigaru. And a shitton of Christianisation which wracks hell out of your public order ratings.

#116 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:28 PM

I could never really get into Medieval 2. I liked the idea, I liked the period, but I didn't like the execution. I really wasn't a fan of having to choose either castles or cities for all the settlements, I much preferred the idea that all towns, when they get big enough, can have anything and everything. It just makes more sense. You can have a castle inside a city, for God's sake! Empire had a brilliant system, though. I'll be interested to see how Shogun 2 improves on what they had going on there.

That's why I like TA:TW (see ModDB for download, if you're interested). City and castle buildings have different names, but they're all the same in essence. In fact, cities are much more efficient for military training, since it's much easier to manipulate taxes to grow their populations. The only downside is that you can't switch between castle and city for any of your settlements. This is only a downside if you play as a faction that doesn't start out with any strong points (Dale is a prime example), because most factions start out with a Fortress or better as their capital.

Also it's LotR, which makes it automatically appeal to me. :p

#117 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:59 PM

I've been stuck in Settlers 7, which actually has some quite cool game design ideas that got hidden behind the big DRM rage, and it resembles the settlers of old with many resources and many steps to create those resources, plus victory point systems are always more fancy than kill-them-all gameplay.

But I have to say the campaign plot is mind-numbingly shallow, when in the first CG movie you get to see your father the king turn to the camera to monologue about his schemes, you know its not going to be a very deep story.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#118 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

Been playing Alice Madness Returns now for a couple of days. It's a pretty cool game...

First I think it definitely could've used a bit of polish before release such as adding little cinematics to connect each level, instead of Alice simply spawning in a new location. It just feels a little messy at times. The music also gets repetitive due to it being the same ambiance in each set of levels. The weapons are simple to use (which is nice, each button relates to a particular weapon which can be used any time in combat, so there's no swapping equipment round), however that can also be seen as a downside... there are weapon upgrades but they're very simple, there's no actual choice involved - you simply collect teeth as credits and spend those on increasing the level of each weapon (which presumably increases only damage, as far as I can tell).

Of course I did like getting the original Alice free with it though (I preordered Madness Returns) which I have yet to play through (I started it, kinda playing it alongside the sequel). It was actually the free copy of Alice that made me get this game now instead of later when it's cheaper. The original Alice appears to sell only for like £50...

Madness Returns does have some cool characters and quirky voice acting though and of course varied visuals which are fairly unique (within video games anyway). The characters are mostly pretty amusing and seem to be getting more enjoyable as the game progresses. So far it's been pretty easy (however I am only playing on normal, the second difficulty). The simplicity of the combat makes it easier, though sometimes the camera gets into annoying positions and there's an ability where you become invincible for a short period of time, which you can active just before dying... After buying the costume pack, there's actually a dress which allows Alice to become enraged (making her invincible) at any time... that seems lame to me, although it is of course optional and will probably be needed on tougher difficulties.

The level design is also very straight forward, literally - simply keep going forward. Each "objective" can get repetitive as it usually means doing 3 tasks which often become chores. The game reminds me an awful lot of old-school Spyro and other traditional 3D platform adventures, including characters with pathetically light / high pitch voices and tasks which involve collecting items so side characters can continue to do their mad slightly trippy activities.

Despite the moans it is pretty fun and overall a good, traditional gaming experience, including some nice visuals. Just got to a cool bit where I've spawned on some kind of table with a giant March Hare and Hatter sitting at it and now I've got to fend off spawning enemies! In the end it's a game loosely based on the two Alice books so you might as well buy it. Considering the lack of plot in the two books, I suppose the games really don't need to explain themselves either...

BTW I'm writing this whilst playing so sorry if it makes little sense!

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#119 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:36 AM

Just Got StrongHold Collection ... super stategy game

Think AOE but with more emphasis on building castles and maintaing a strong peasant economy

I recomend StrongHold 2 and Stronghold Legends .. play in that order

The others are not as enticing ...

StrongHold 2 shows you the gameplay with two campaigns showing Economy management and Warfare

Stronghold Legends .. has a longer Campaign and throws in magical elements

Play it people !!!!

Hey we should play some Stronghold 2.

safsignature.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users