#1 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  • Projects:Dayvi.com
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

I've been trying to think up a good system for a trading website.

For this example i'll use Modding, as most peeps here can relate to it, but i'd like a system that can be used for anything. The unit of currency is called "credits" atm.

Lets say you're a modder and you want a 3D model made for you mod. You can make icons/logos really good. How do you trade?

My ideas so far:
- First you need to get credits. This can be done by filling other peoples logo requests.
- Then you'll spend your credits by requesting a 3D model be made.
This way, you get what you want, with what you can do.

Problems:
How did the first people get credits to make their requests?
How do you know you're getting enough credits for your work?

Should credits be a representation of time, skill, knowledge or effort?

Any ideas for making a skill trading/market system would be welcomed.

Edited by Mr.Mousy, 04 February 2009 - 02:10 PM.

#2 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:04 AM

Have a bank of credits given out by the site starter for tasks related to the site. Get a logo or whatever from the site. You could also give people a small amount just for joining (not enough to really get anything) to grow the economy.
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#3 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:33 AM

You could also give people a small amount just for joining (not enough to really get anything) to grow the economy.

If people get credits for joining, it removes the ability to have 1 member give credits to another member (as someone could make loads of accounts and send all the credits to 1 account).
humm
Unless the first credits a member gets are special and non-tradeable, only usable to make requests.

edit:
found my very old code for this
http://www.gamesmodding.com/market/

Edited by Mr.Mousy, 05 February 2009 - 01:05 PM.

#4 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

Don't allow multiple accounts.
This is hard to enforce, but if you are very strict ("If you make two accounts, we will see. They will both be disabled!") most people won't even try.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#5 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

The other issue is the likelihood of there being enough users to warrant the system entirely. It's redundant if there isn't a pool of users that can encompass what is essentially the entire required skill-base that other users will want to draw from - and this is broad.

The other issue is the availability of appropriate knowledge. Say I wanted a player model for Unreal Tournament 3 - this is a whole different thing to wanting a character model for CnC, and even from Source. The only way that person could possibly fulfill my request is to own a copy of UT3, and have a fair bit of experience working with that particular suite of tools - otherwise their content is useless to me.

Also, what happens when discrepancies arise? What if person X pays person Y for a task, which is never completed? What if the task is completed, but it's not suitable for person X to use - person Y did their part of the job, perhaps not adequately, but they spent time on it.

Who determines what each job is worth? A quick CnC ini bash is infinitely easier to deal with than hardcore Source programming. An RTS tank model or two is easy to churn out compared to a complex vehicle in UT3.

Are the credits really enough motivation for people to use the site? Most people would want someone they can work with on a regular basis, or someone who's genuinely interested in what they're doing. If someone isn't interested, the likelihood is they won't do a good job. Not only that, a few virtual credits for hours of unpaid work is useless, especially if you can't get what you need in return.

#6 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:15 PM

Lets see if some of those can be solved:

The other issue is the likelihood of there being enough users to warrant the system entirely. It's redundant if there isn't a pool of users that can encompass what is essentially the entire required skill-base that other users will want to draw from - and this is broad.

Lets say we limit it to 1 game to start with. Lets say UT3.

The other issue is the availability of appropriate knowledge. Say I wanted a player model for Unreal Tournament 3 - this is a whole different thing to wanting a character model for CnC, and even from Source. The only way that person could possibly fulfill my request is to own a copy of UT3, and have a fair bit of experience working with that particular suite of tools - otherwise their content is useless to me.

As we only cover 1 game, UT3, this is solved for the moment.

Also, what happens when discrepancies arise? What if person X pays person Y for a task, which is never completed? What if the task is completed, but it's not suitable for person X to use - person Y did their part of the job, perhaps not adequately, but they spent time on it.

If the job is close, but not quite there: Person Y gets paid and person X keeps their credits. It's digital money, so it can do that. Then the job is re-listed, with X's more detailed requirements and person Y's work to build from.

Who determines what each job is worth? A quick CnC ini bash is infinitely easier to deal with than hardcore Source programming. An RTS tank model or two is easy to churn out compared to a complex vehicle in UT3.

The person who offers the job picks the value, based around how many credits they have to offer. If it's crap pay for a hard job, no-one will take it. If it's good pay for an easy job, people will spring to it. Like real life ;)

Are the credits really enough motivation for people to use the site? Most people would want someone they can work with on a regular basis, or someone who's genuinely interested in what they're doing. If someone isn't interested, the likelihood is they won't do a good job. Not only that, a few virtual credits for hours of unpaid work is useless, especially if you can't get what you need in return.

Credits might be motivation. Who would of thought the Queen's face on a bit of paper would motivate Britain ;)
It's about what you can get with the credits - and there is the killer blow to the plan. There is no way of seeing what you can buy with the credits. That is a tricky one to solve, if it even can be... :p

Edited by Mr.Mousy, 05 February 2009 - 07:16 PM.

#7 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:18 AM

I'm attaching a quick draft on how it should work (excuse my uber MS paint skills).

Of course, the system needs to be booted and the amount of resources available must increase with the raise of members. So, here's my suggestion for that as well:

Booting the system:

-> Invite mod team leaders that are in need of resources and give them some credits.

Once your system support more games, invite more mod leaders and give them credit.

Increasing resources and people:

-> Create a system where an existing user can invite another user into it. If someone registers using the person's invitation, the person who invited gets some credits for it.

-> Another thing that can be done is some kind of bonus for successfull operations. If there was no fraud during the sale of the service, both sides should get a little tip for fair play from the bank.

Attached Thumbnails

• Market_System_Draft.PNG

Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#8 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:55 AM

Very artistic banshee :p, but no offense, isn't all that a bit...."well, duh"?

Invite mod team leaders that are in need of resources and give them some credits.

That could work, as long as those leaders have proven themselves already. Not just any new mod.

Create a system where an existing user can invite another user into it. If someone registers using the person's invitation, the person who invited gets some credits for it.

Another thing that can be done is some kind of bonus for successfull operations. If there was no fraud during the sale of the service, both sides should get a little tip for fair play from the bank.

Both are good ideas to bring more "money" in the market, but is that a good thing? Like in a real market, this place will suffer from inflation and stuff.

This will settle naturally over time. Or you could just equal credits to dollars, except that you can't spend them anywhere else than on the site.

By the way, if you're really nasty, you could sell credits for real money ;)
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#9 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:23 PM

It was made to be obvious, but to obvially give a clear view of the thing. People tends to forget the obvious when they plan things.

That could work, as long as those leaders have proven themselves already. Not just any new mod.

Agreed.

Both are good ideas to bring more "money" in the market, but is that a good thing? Like in a real market, this place will suffer from inflation and stuff.

The market needs money to flow. Otherwise, it has retraction and no business. Sometimes, inflation isn't that bad, if it isn't exagerated, of course.

This will settle naturally over time. Or you could just equal credits to dollars, except that you can't spend them anywhere else than on the site.

By the way, if you're really nasty, you could sell credits for real money :p

If he does that, he'll go bankrupt quite quickly. Unless the only way to get credits is by paying for them with real dollars.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#10 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

If he does that, he'll go bankrupt quite quickly.

I don't see how receiving real dollars and giving out fake ones is going to make you backrupt...:p

#11 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:21 AM

Errr... sorry, I read it very quick and I was also thinking at the opposite situation.
Project Perfect Mod

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users