#21 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

I think Hostile's view of the Guild is because he doesn't understand its history or anything. It is not a trashpit of old games, it never use to be just a division. It use to have life. It cannot regain that because it is now a division at revora, but it certainly can be reformed and the central hub of CNC at revora. This doesn't mean getting rid of CNC3.net or CNCRA3.net, but it does mean reforming the guild site and any new cnc games can be given seperate sites but still under the guild. Lets just utilise the guild as the cnc division.

#22 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

This doesn't mean getting rid of CNC3.net or CNCRA3.net, but it does mean reforming the guild site and any new cnc games can be given seperate sites but still under the guild. Lets just utilise the guild as the cnc division.

1. Yes, CNC guild should be the CNC division.
2. It should include the newer games
3. Then why keep CNC3.net and CNCRA3.net? I understand that some people are attached to it, but it would be senseless to maintain two sites on the exact same subject. Not to mention that you have all the disadvantages of a split community. Sometimes you have to be able to let go, if your plan doesn't work out. I say merge them all and let cnc3.net redirect to http://cncguild.net/cnc3 or something.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#23 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  • Projects:Dayvi.com
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

It use to have life. It cannot regain that because it is now a division at revora

;)
Odd reason.
You could just put some work into it :)

Me and another oldbie of Revora was having a joke about how nothing has changed at Revora (central) in the last 3 years. To which i suggested the ftp password had been lost and no-one could edit any of Revora's sites ;)

#24 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,013 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:03 PM

I'm still able to edit it, but it is not my duty anymore.

And DLotS actually updated the Revora frontpage sometimes and he has almost finished a new feature there.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#25 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

This doesn't mean getting rid of CNC3.net or CNCRA3.net, but it does mean reforming the guild site and any new cnc games can be given seperate sites but still under the guild. Lets just utilise the guild as the cnc division.

1. Yes, CNC guild should be the CNC division.
2. It should include the newer games
3. Then why keep CNC3.net and CNCRA3.net? I understand that some people are attached to it, but it would be senseless to maintain two sites on the exact same subject. Not to mention that you have all the disadvantages of a split community. Sometimes you have to be able to let go, if your plan doesn't work out. I say merge them all and let cnc3.net redirect to http://cncguild.net/cnc3 or something.

CNCRA3.net isn't a finished site. Besides cnc3.net has alot of infrastructure complete like your article system as well as a decent custom forum skin.

Perhaps they can share a database. It's a duplication but hard to delete cnc3.net after what it took to get it looking good and running good. Seeing modding cnc3 and older ini based cnc games are so much differant, does it make sense to have it a subsection of cnc guild like YRargentina or something?

I also did pay to have it coded by you. When you pay for something you do sorta own it. One of the benefits of paying for something.

Unless you can explain better, I might not be totally understanding what you're picturing.

#26 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,971 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

My original idea was to truly have working sites for all three domains (cncguild.net, cnc3.net, cncra3.net) and make them use a different appearance (like a skin) but use the same DB for 2play's system. So you could browse cnc3.net, see the CNC3.net design, but find the same content as on cncguild.net and cncra3.net.

However, that comes with a few technical difficulties because you can't simply share sessions across domains. That is why I'm currently experimenting with only a forum skin sort of setup where cnc3.net redirects to cncguild.net but shows the CNC3.net design. So that would probably be 2play's suggestion.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#27 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:41 PM

However, that comes with a few technical difficulties because you can't simply share sessions across domains.

You know more than I do but why can't multiple sites read/write from a single db? My impression was that all three sites access that same db. Unless I simply don't know what I'm talking about.

#28 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,971 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

That's not the problem, but as soon as you switch the domain, you're not logged in anymore (well, you are on the other domain). That makes logging in and out a real mess when linking the sites together.
So it's far easier to go with a single domain and multiple skins that people can easily switch back and forth. The two extra domains would stay as redirects that set the appropriate skin.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#29 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

IMO it would be more work for someone to make skins and set it up than it would be for users to simply log in again. How many times would users switch domains anyway?
If they accessed a tutorial from another game it simply populates the existing site.

Than each site can have whatever layout you want instead creating a list of CSS properties depending on which site is being used.

I can only imagine two ways users could switch domains anyway. One through the network bar or affiliate link and the other by typing the url into the address bar. I can't think of many reasons when users would be switching domains. At least not enough to justify all the work needed to set it up.

Let them simply log in again. At least for now to keep it easy. Is it possible for each site to use the same cookie maybe? Browsers check for the cookie on each load. I think cookies are tied to the domain.

Anyway once a user switch domains a new cookie would be written anysay. So that would only happen once. Both cookies would be written and moving back and forth would seem seamless.

#30 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

You know more than I do but why can't multiple sites read/write from a single db? My impression was that all three sites access that same db. Unless I simply don't know what I'm talking about.

This isn't the movies. :wink_new: You can't just have two sites "share the database" and let it all automagically work. I mean, yes, of course it's possible, but each site would be little more than a different skin around that database. That's what we're aiming to do though, so that's not that bad :blink:. In that case a redirect to a single site (with different skins, possibly) is better, because of the login issue mentioned by DLotS.
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#31 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,971 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

The amount of work is exactly the same and the background coding as well, it's just user convenience vs. using all the existing domains. The former makes more sense and it even helps us to guide users to a single CNC modding portal faster. If I don't encounter any huge problems with the skin setup, the choice is obvious.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#32 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

How difficult would it be to add new sites in the future or convert old ones to this system? How long does each skin take to set up?

In that case a redirect to a single site (with different skins, possibly) is better

This would be the bugger because the site skin would have to work before we would use this method, if not than cnc3 and any other site that upgrades to the article system is simply going to look like the guild because it would simply be the guild.

What's the point of that. Especially when some of us paid money to get cnc3.net to look like it does now. So keeping the site look and feel is more mportant than wether we use skins or a shared db.

#33 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

skin = look and feel :wink_new:

#34 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:02 PM

In that case a redirect to a single site (with different skins, possibly) is better

Possibly? :wink_new: It would have to have a working skin to retain the look and feel. Possibly is not a feasible option. We'll see what you all come up with.

Individual cnc sites that use the article system still be able to host their own projects? Like mod.cnc3.net.

Who is going to take the time to add tutorials from the Guild sites into the new db? That is going to take alot of work.

#35 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,013 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:57 PM

Hostile has found an interesting tip on how to keep the same session on different domains. I guess it should be quite helpful:
http://stackoverflow...r-to-subdomains

And since we have full control of the server, it is totally viable.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#36 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:59 PM

If we keep cnc3 as a subdomain to cncguild. cnc3.cncguild.net than we can allow users to move around between cnc3 cnc3ra and guild with no issues. This should eliminate skins and stuff.

cnc3.net apprears than to only host cnc3 mods and redirect to a new subdomain.

cnc3.cncguild.net
cnc3ra.cncguild.net

other tips:
http://stackoverflow...domains-asp-net
http://www.danhulton...-in-kohana-php/

#37 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:41 AM

1. It's impossible to have two completely different domains (like cnc3.net and cncguild.net) share sessions. Their cookies won't be shared. This is a client-side thing we have no influence on. The link is about subdomains.

2. What would be the use of a domain like cnc3.cncguild.net?

#38 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,971 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:41 PM

Trust me, I've read all kinds of such articles and I have done proper research before reaching a conclusion. There is no way to share the session across whole domains without an insane amount of extra work. And if we can't use a multi-domain system, a multi-subdomain system makes even less sense.

No, it will be best for the users if we just use cncguild.net and set up redirects that automatically set the right skin. That makes for a unified name and users can freely choose the inteface they wish to browse the site with. That, along with a good explanation on the site will do the trick.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#39 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

The point wasn't to share sessions across whole domains, simply subdomains.

The solution for sessions across subdomains doesn't appear that hard. Every solution was short and simple. So I'll have to talk to Nighthawk about what he thinks.

1. It's impossible to have two completely different domains (like cnc3.net and cncguild.net) share sessions.

I know that, that's why I found the sub domain solution.

2. What would be the use of a domain like cnc3.cncguild.net?

I don't want my site to be turned into a skin. I'd rather it be a site within the Guild.

You all wanted a solution that would do what we needed it to do. If we aren't even gonna give it a try than we'll simply move the forums into the guild and keep the site they way it is now.

Read the solutions to the shared subdomain. Looks very simple to me. Alot easier than skins.

#40 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

I don't want my site to be turned into a skin. I'd rather it be a site within the Guild.

It would be a skins regardless of the domain. That's what you will get if you start "sharing the database".
These are two completely different discussions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users