#21 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:28 AM

Yes... but I'd keep the original outer walls for the outer circle, then use Minas Tirith's for the inner part.
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#22 Vithar-133

Vithar-133

Violent Gandhi

• Project Team
  • 1,975 posts
  • Projects:Existing
  •  It's not your skill, boys. It's your will. Ooh-rah!

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:12 AM

Actualy, I'm of the opininon that you'd want the larger walls out front, to hold off the enemy, giving you time to gather more defenders for the walls, where as the smaller set would act as a bulkhead, and a way to try to hold out a little longer if the enemy got past the outer walls.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:01 AM

I'd be under the impression that invisible archers firing from inside the towers would give you enough time to rally defenders for the inner walls... and being on top of the walls for a last stand rather than standing behind the door waiting for them to come in is... well, so much more glorious. :rolleyes:

#24 Guest_Rangerman (guest)_*

Guest_Rangerman (guest)_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

Hey *Ranger* I didn't know you play Tribal Wars.

#25 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Lurking
  •  I'm a physician now. Scary, right?

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:21 AM

Vithar is correct. The inner walls got smaller constantly. The inner walls would do little else but delay the inevitable.

Edited by CIL, 05 March 2009 - 02:21 AM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#26 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK Mapping Team
  •  Loremaster

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:26 AM

If there is two walls you make the second taller than the first because that way if they take the first wall they can't shoot down on you from the wall. This is also why the backs of walls are always unprotected. It is designed so that if an enemy takes the wall it gives them no tactical advantage. Most castles would only have one wall because it is extremely expensive to build walls. The keep would be the "second wall". There are cases where there are more than one wall. They are usually in the Middle east where the Crusaders lived and Spain. There are a few in France as well. You always defend a position from the inside out. The tall inside walls aren't very long so it doesn't take many men to defend them, but as you get farther out the length of wall to defend takes more men. So if you get driven off the first wall you can fall back to the smaller and taller wall. This way not only do you have less area to defend it is also harder for the enemy to get up on the walls. The first set of walls actually becomes a detriment to the enemy. Because it stops them from moving siege towers up the second wall and it provides not cover for troops. It forces the enemy to use choke points like the gate. This is why the second gate is always as far from the first gate as possible. It allows your archers on the second wall to shoot at them the whole time. If the first wall was taller then enemy archers could deffilade fire on your men on the second wall. When you are forced into a defensive battle you want to make the battle get harder and harder for your enemy as he pushes you back. If you are on the defensive it is because you will get pushed back. This is why in Stalingrad the Russians destroyed the city as the fell back. As the enemy breaks each successively harder defense they lose men and morale. Now in a proper defense you have it set up so you can retreat to the next defense without losing more than a few men. Castles and forts are designed so that way the innermost defense can be manned by as few men as possible. The point of walls and defenses is to be force equalizers. They allow far smaller forces to hold off and possibly defeat a much larger force. Otherwise if the were equal you would sally forth and fight them. Even the interiors of Fortress keeps are designed for defense. The staircases spiral so you can't swing a sword right hand as you come up. Everything about a castle fort is about holding them off as long as possible. Even the Lords last chamber is going to designed so him and his bodyguard can hold off the enemy. A siege is never ever inevitable. It is the hardest thing in warfare to force a defensive position. That is why you usual just starve them out.

#27 Guest_Guest_Hasfusel_*_*

Guest_Guest_Hasfusel_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

There you have it in a nutshell. I love it when I'm not the only one who studies military history.

To enhance this, I would really like it if you could gain an advantage when shooting/charging downhill. It'd be a real boost to the strategical aspect of the terrain and would make having a tall inner wall much more useful.

#28 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

The height advantage is the most important advantage in all types of fighting. Even modern combat. To not include it is like not including the bread in a PB&J

#29 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

This way not only do you have less area to defend it is also harder for the enemy to get up on the walls.

The secret to winning Helm's Deep :) But there's no fun in it.

#30 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

Except the inner wall only has one gate. It is a pretty usless wall because you don't have to worry about people scaling it.

#31 Rangerman (Forestferret)

Rangerman (Forestferret)
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

Any news on how this map is going? looks good

#32 Rangerman (Forestferret)

Rangerman (Forestferret)
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:45 PM

And, does anyone know where to find the Amon Sul Fortress.map file or have it for download?

#33 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

It's on RotWK. ;)

#34 *Ranger*

*Ranger*
  • Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:15 PM

I havent worked on this map since the end of feb, but here it is:

ME vault- my map

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users