#1 MadHQ

MadHQ

Killer of all things!

• Project Team
  • 1,435 posts
  • Projects:Kinky Spam bath's!
  •  This is the blue text!

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:06 PM

OK so I was watching the Over Logging episode of South Park. And it got me thinking... What would happen if it went down. Would people really go into a crazy panic mode?

Would be funny to see how people would react... XP Any one know of a way to bring it down temporarily? :p
Zomba Productions - Click here!
Posted Image

#2 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:38 PM

But without the internet, how would we know what happens? :p

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#3 MadHQ

MadHQ

Killer of all things!

• Project Team
  • 1,435 posts
  • Projects:Kinky Spam bath's!
  •  This is the blue text!

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:09 AM

Well for starters I would go out to public areas and see if the numbers increased. I'm also sure the news would have a field day reporting what happened when it comes back up.
Zomba Productions - Click here!
Posted Image

#4 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:00 AM

I'd be like "damn, no internet", and want to go on it, but thats about all...
I'd probably just be bored more often, but i doubt there would be panic.

Maybe there would be panic about whatever caused a massive global network to stop working in the first place (the aliens stole our internets! aagggh!) cause it would have to be pretty major for the entire internet to go down...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Lurking
  •  I'm a physician now. Scary, right?

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:05 AM

Ze internets! Le gasp! CURSE YOU HAX0RZ AND YOUR ZOMGWTF SKILZ!!!!!!!!!
I'm creeping, not gone.

#6 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:16 AM

That's a valid point, CIL. My first suspects would be the French, more out of prejudice and centuries of national conflict than any real practicalities. But yeah, I'm with SWG. It would be irritating, but we lived before the internet, we can live after it.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#7 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:10 AM

The French are the only people who are more arrogant than Americans, despite the fact that their country has done nothing internationally remarkable, save be the most snobby nation in existance. And that's not exactly a good thing. No internet, and they'd explode and blame Britain. They blame all their failures on Britain. So yes, the French would cause it. It would give them another thing to blame England for. That excludes French Canadians, who moved away from France BECAUSE of the stuck-up-ishness of the French.

Edited by CIL, 04 March 2009 - 06:33 AM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#8 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:08 PM

Any evidence? No, I didn't think so.

#9 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:50 AM

Back to the point: Ze internets!

And how can you be so treasonous!? YOU'RE ENGLISH!!!

Edited by CIL, 04 March 2009 - 12:51 AM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#10 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:56 AM

OK, here's a better question: CIL, why do you think you have any right to insult the French? We English have been at war with them, on and off, for the past couple of millennia. Have you ever actually met anyone French or do you just subscribe to stereotypes? Do you think I wear a bowler hat to work? Would you be shocked if you visited Paris and didn't see anyone wearing a string of onions around their neck?

In all truth, the French haven't blamed us for anything since Charles de Gaulle. We've just politely ignored one another and got on with our lives.

I think the reason Puppeteer was not fond of you insulting the French is this: it's not your war. Get the fuck out of it. It's the same principle as 'If I insult my family, it's fine. If you do it, you're a cunt and I'll punch you in the face.' Make sense?
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#11 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:00 AM

The French are the only people who are more arrogant than Americans, despite the fact that their country has done nothing internationally remarkable, save be the most snobby nation in existance. And that's not exactly a good thing. Everything has to be hand-fed to the French middle to upper classes. No internet, and they'd explode and blame Britain. They blame all their failures on Britain. So yes, that's how the average Frenchie would react. That excludes French Canadians, who moved away from France BECAUSE of the stuck-up-ishness of the French.

Crazy Intellectual Liberal.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#12 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:09 AM

CIL, you arrogant bastard, it's people like you and George Bush that give America a bad name. The only thing bad the French have done that I know about is them surrendering during WWII to Hitler.

Hello everyone. I am back.

#13 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:33 AM

Well, there was also the Napoleonic conquests, the centuries of war with Britain, the handing over of Joan of Arc to the British so we could burn her (I blame the French for that :p) their shocker of an effort during WWI and the repeated obstructive motions put into play by French politicians concerning the EU, and mostly Britain's place in it. As a nation, they are far from guilt-free.

But yes, I have to agree. CIL, you're doing nothing for your own country.

#14 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:26 AM

Crazy Intellectual Liberal.

Yeah, IQ tests seem to indicate otherwise. And I am pro gay marriage, pro choice until 5 months, I detest the war in Iraq, am for the legalization of all drugs (more things for us to tax :p) and believe the answer to all problems lies in big government. I'm about as liberal as you can get. And regarding crazy, people think I'm psychotic. I probably am, as I don't really care whether what I do is right or wrong, I just live life as I see fit.

CIL, you arrogant bastard, it's people like you and George Bush that give America a bad name. The only thing bad the French have done that I know about is them surrendering during WWII to Hitler.

Don't you DARE bring Birdbrain into this arguement. He's one of this country's worst dictators presidents, and the conservative policies of the Bush administration killed the world's economy. I'm not a conservative. I am the opposite. You are speaking, however, like a brainless concervative who's been on the news a lot lately.

Well, there was also the Napoleonic conquests, the centuries of war with Britain, the handing over of Joan of Arc to the British so we could burn her (I blame the French for that :p) their shocker of an effort during WWI and the repeated obstructive motions put into play by French politicians concerning the EU, and mostly Britain's place in it. As a nation, they are far from guilt-free.

But yes, I have to agree. CIL, you're doing nothing for your own country.

Joan of Arc was rightfully punished. At any rate, the French caused problems for my ancestors during the Hundred Years War and I hate them for that. I'm descended somehow from a British noble, and the stupid Frenchies killed half the army they commanded. It took him years to clean up the mess. He owned a castle in England, and when he got back, it was under the control of a different person who stole it whilst he was away. He eventually got it back, but it was in shambles. And before you comment, I do still hold a grudge. Modern French politicians seek only to make profit for themselves. The French lower-class doesn't even know about Canada. If they did, they'd be there now. That way, they'd have a black guy who runs white people for a neighbor.

I can conclude that the lot of you are deliberately being twats right now, but I'm done with this. How did this even get so off-topic?

Edited by CIL, 04 March 2009 - 06:34 AM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#15 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:52 AM

Stereotypes 're funny mate, gives me 'n skippy 'ere a good 'ol chuckle.

:unsure:
And why would you blame the french for the internet disappearing? It seems (to me) more likely it would be some asian country like japan(because everyone knows japanese are in the space age compared to us, what with all those giant transforming mechs to help fight against the constant monster attacks)

or possible some terrorist group or maybe one of the big 'other powers' like china or russia. Or it could be some comic book-esque secret organisation bent on world domination and other various evils...

In any case the french would not be high on my suspect list...

EDIT:

Do you think I wear a bowler hat to work?

Yeah, i agree, you dont conform to an English stereotype at all:
Posted Image

:p :p
(just when you thought it was safe to post your picture on the internet...*plays jaws theme*)

Edited by some_wierdGuy, 04 March 2009 - 11:13 AM.

Posted Image

#16 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:48 AM

You bastard! :p

Yeah, IQ tests seem to indicate otherwise.

How many times have we been over this? IQ doesn't mean shit.

I am pro gay marriage, pro choice until 5 months, I detest the war in Iraq, am for the legalization of all drugs (more things for us to tax :unsure:) and believe the answer to all problems lies in big government. I'm about as liberal as you can get. And regarding crazy, people think I'm psychotic. I probably am, as I don't really care whether what I do is right or wrong, I just live life as I see fit.

I find it strange that 'liberals' believe big government is the key. Surely greater freedom can be achieved with less government intervention? And you're almost certainly not psychotic. I doubt you even understand what psychosis involves. It definitely involves far more than just not caring about right or wrong. That could mean one of several things. 1) Your moral compass is broken. 2) You're just an asshole. 3) You have difficulty seeing anything but the big picture. 4) You're lying. 5) You've achieved the spirit of the 60s, living life and doing whatever you want whenever you want. I found that last one doubtful, however,

Don't you DARE bring Birdbrain into this arguement. He's one of this country's worst dictators presidents, and the conservative policies of the Bush administration killed the world's economy. I'm not a conservative. I am the opposite. You are speaking, however, like a brainless concervative who's been on the news a lot lately.

Bush was an idiot. We are well aware of this. We were not saying otherwise. We were simply saying that opinions such as those you are propounding are likely to create a similar level of dislike for your country.

Joan of Arc was rightfully punished.

She was burnt alive. For what crime could that be considered justified? She fought a war that someone else started, you utter moron. Her actions saved thousands of lives that would otherwise have been lost under incompetent commanders, and she created the French realm as it is today. Regardless of nationality, she was a hero (or heroine, if you prefer) and there's nothing that can change that.

I'm descended somehow from a British noble, and the stupid Frenchies killed half the army they commanded. It took him years to clean up the mess. He owned a castle in England, and when he got back, it was under the control of a different person who stole it whilst he was away. He eventually got it back, but it was in shambles.

Guess what? So am I. Yet somehow I don't give a shit. You just wish you lived in a castle. Besides, switching of titles and lands was common in those days, and if your ancestor went to conquer some new lands in France, it's his own fault. You can't blame Joan of Arc for not sitting back and letting a British baron shit on her family.

Is that what you think gives you the right to go insulting other nations? That at some point in the distant past one of your ancestors had a run-in with them and your shitty life makes you wish your ancestors had been halfway competent and set you up nicely instead?

The French lower-class doesn't even know about Canada. If they did, they'd be there now.

They do have schools in France, you know. :p

#17 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:51 PM

Joan of Arc was rightfully punished. At any rate, the French caused problems for my ancestors during the Hundred Years War and I hate them for that.

Or was it your ancestors causing problems for the French? The British were holding land not connected to their territory.

I'm descended somehow from a British noble,

I really never understand the pride over ancestors. They're not you. They never were, and you're related by blood alone, and even then it's been diluted. You're nothing like your ancestors. So why do you feel some kind of connection, let alone show arrogance over it?

and the stupid Frenchies killed half the army they commanded.

It was a two-sided war, you know. The British weren't the only ones to suffer causalties, and you can hardly accredit the skill behind decimating half the army to stupidity. I'd say the reverse, if anything.

It took him years to clean up the mess.

Single-handedly, I presume. </sarcasm>

Modern French politicians seek only to make profit for themselves.

Evidence?

Let's try this again, shall we? Crazy Intellectual Liberal TWAT.

Edited by Puppeteer, 05 March 2009 - 04:01 PM.

#18 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:38 PM

Second all Puppeteer's points. Also, SWG, that photo is now my Facebook profile. ;) Awesomeness. :p

#19 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:11 PM

rofl ;)

It was a quick 1-2 minute job(although it took me like 15 to find the picture in the first place :thumbsupsmiley: )
I could make a better one if you want to use it? :thumbsupsmiley:
(like actually cut out the stuff properly so there isn't all the junk around the outside)

but i must say i thought it was rather amusing :p

Posted Image

#20 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

No, it's good like that. I like that it's blatantly obvious that it's been tampered with, that's all part of the humour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users