Neutron4ever

title available

• Project Team
  • 893 posts
  • Projects:RCMOD, Kings of the West, Battle For Alagaesia
  •  RCMOD and KOTW Betatester and Edit Button Fanatic

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:51 AM

Well....here I go :p

The Inheritance Cycle is a series of books written by Christopher Paolini. The series is currently at 3 books right now.

The world of Alagaesia is being ruled by a tyrant named Galbatorix who eliminated the Order of the Dragon Riders and is a Rider himself.

The Inheritance Cycle begins with a boy named Eragon, aged 15 , who discovers a dragon egg while hunting in the Spine.
The egg hatches for Eragon and he is now bonded with a dragon named Saphira and they now share thoughts and can communicate with eachother telepathically.

Eragon's uncle Brom discovers Eragon and Saphira and they escape to Farthen Dur (A Dwarven Stronghold in the Beor Mountains) before the Razac can capture Eragon. Farthen Dur is also home to the Varden, a group of warriors trying to free the land of Galbatorix. On the way there however, Brom is killed, they rescue an elf named Arya, and are joined by the elusive stranger Murtagh. At Farthen Dur they are attacked by Urgals (Alagaesia's equivalent of orcs) and Eragon faces a Shade name Durza (A shade is a being that is controlled by many spirits due to a sorcery attempt gone wrong. Shades are also really powerful). Eragon defeats Durza but is wounded in the proccess.

After the battle, Ajihad, the ruler of the Varden, is killed and Murtagh is captured. Ajihad's daughter is made ruler and sends Eragonn to Ellesmera (home of the elves) to complete his training as a Rider. He is accompanied by a dwarf named Orik and the elf Arya. There, Eragon trains under the elven rider Oromis and his golden dragon Glaedr. During their stay, Eragon is transformed into a combination of an elf and a human by the dragons in order to help him against Galbatorix. Here he gains elven strength, speed, and superior magical ability. In the world of Inheritance spells are used by muttering words in the Ancient Language. The Ancient language is a language that is composed of the true names of everything in the world. Once the true name of an object is discovered, anyone who uses that objects name can manipulate it to his or her will though complex spells require complex wordings. The Ancient Language requires you to be specific in your wording else the spell may fail or drain you of your energy. Spells cast will drain the caster's energy by the equivalent energy it would've taken to do the task without the use of magic. Therefore, magicians must be careful and know their limits.

While Eragon is training, we are shown the adventures of his brother Roran, as he leads the villagers of Eragon's home town to the Varden.

After his training in Ellesmera, Eragon races back to the Varden to fight the forces of the Empire at the Burning plains. There they combat Galbatorix's forces and Eragon faces off against Murtagh, now a Rider, and his dragon Thorn. During the battle, they are aided by the arrival of the Dwarven King Hrothgar and his army. Though Eragon is defeated and Hrothgar slain, the Varden win the battle. Eragon and his brother are reunited and they prepare to rescue Roran's fiancee Katrina.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Will finish later :p

Edited by Copaman, 18 March 2009 - 12:17 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image

#2 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

*cough*StarWars*cough* :p

Don't worry, I actually liked the third one. *First orignal book the guy's written... :p*

Edited by ithilienranger732, 17 March 2009 - 11:56 AM.

BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#3 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

I edited for some minor grammar stuff and one question:

Isn't Eragon transformed by the uber-tree (it has a name too, but that escapes me) in Ellesmera?

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#4 Neutron4ever

Neutron4ever

title available

• Project Team
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

No, he was transformed by the spirit of the dragons. The tree didn't really do anything until the 3rd book ;)

Edited by neutron4ever, 17 March 2009 - 01:35 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image

#5 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:11 PM

I've only read the first two, but yeah, it's Eragon touching Saphira that gets him his powers, and that weird spirit thing in the second book that makes him elf-like.

Hello everyone. I am back.

#6 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

By the sound of this, I'm so glad I haven't read it. ;)
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#7 Neutron4ever

Neutron4ever

title available

• Project Team
  • 893 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:38 AM

You should.
It's a pretty good series if you can get over the similarities to Star Wars and LOTR.
The 3rd book was REALLY good
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:11 AM

The third book was original. :p
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#9 Neutron4ever

Neutron4ever

title available

• Project Team
  • 893 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:11 AM

Exactly :p
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

Well, thanks, but I've read other original books too. I'm currently reading one which was reviewed by the Guardian as "a true original", in a good way. It's Haruki Murakami's 'South of the Border, West of the Sun'. It's pretty good. I'm also reading Christopher Priest's 'The Prestige', the book the film was made from. Anyway, now to stop thread-jacking. I'm not going to read the Inheritance Cycle, one way or another.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users