Photo

An LOTR-Based mod for BFME I

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  • Projects:Wars of Arda, Dol Guldur--Unfinished Version, Expanded Helm's Deep with Glittering Caves
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:10 PM

I have an idea for a mod that removes unit-build structures, builds siege engines like a BFME II structure, and allows for build-anywhere farms and wall hubs. The farms and wall hubs, however, will only work if you build a foundation first, and the foundation will take time to build. To build and army, you don't need to have that many CP, and can go over anytime, but if you go over, your army will start to starve, and units will die randomly, and the more you go over the CP limit, the more units will die. To GET the units, you will need to build messengers for about 3,000 resources each, and send them to the edge of the map, where you will get actual battalions of about three hundred men each, but divided into many smaller hordes. to get an even larger army, you will by an elite messenger that you can only get one of with a guard troop for about 7,750 resources that gives you two and a half battalions with a total of seven-hundred and fifty soldiers. Also, both Isenguard and Mordor will be able to build walls, with Mordor's walls looking something like the Black Gate, and the wall towers being similar to the Towers of the Teeth. Also, the Castle Citidal would look like Barad'Dur, while the outpost Citidals would remain the same.

It would be a lot of coding and modeling, which I personally can't do, (or i would have made it by now) but any mapping involved could (and would) be done by me.

Edit: Could a staff member please delete or lock this topic's evil twin? I don't know what happened there. :p
And could someone move this topic? I forgot to put it in the drawing board. :p

Edit#2: I mean the topic's TWO evil twins. :p

Edit(Sûl): Done

Edit(Rokqua): Thank you

Edited by Rokqua Shadowkin, 19 March 2009 - 01:20 AM.

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them.

Posted Image

#2 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

seems like a cool idea with different gameplay. I like the idea about the starving units, though without a cp-limit lag might be too high.
Greetings, community.

#3 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  • Projects:Wars of Arda, Dol Guldur--Unfinished Version, Expanded Helm's Deep with Glittering Caves
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:56 PM

There will be a CP limit, because at a certain point units will start dying faster than they can be brought in. It will also continue for about 10 seconds after it reaches a more stable point, creating a penalty for not caring for you soldiers.

Do you think BFME I fans who don't like BFME II will like the longer, more advanced, and far more limited version of the build-anywhere?

Edited by Rokqua Shadowkin, 18 March 2009 - 10:04 PM.

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them.

Posted Image

#4 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:32 PM

I actually think this is a great idea! :p It adds a lot of realism, although I think that the troops should consume your resources at an insanely fast rate, then start dying if you go over the command limit. That way, if it's late in the game and you need troops, and you have a lot of resources, you'll have enough to supply your army until they destroy the enemy. What do you think?
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#5 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:18 PM

Great idea! :p I also think that you can inlist large numbers of peasants/slaves in from the game, build a training camp, and train the peasants/slaves to fight for you.

P.S. Are you one of those people who hates the BFME II build-anywhere system?

Edit: Here's an idea: what if we change the time-line to include the Last Alliance? That way, we could add Isildur as a hero for Gondor, and add Dwarves and Elves to the good side, and Goblins and Remnants of Angband for Evil.

(Remnants of Angband would be the shattered remains of Morgoth's army coming to join Sauron)

@ithilien: What are able to do with modding? If you want, I could probably use some help.

Edited by Rokqua Shadowkin, 19 March 2009 - 01:22 AM.

Posted Image

#6 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:24 AM

Yes, I hated the build-anywhere system. With the radii that they gave you, you had to spam the whole map to get a decent economy going. As for the peasants... if the farms were to be made larger, and you had to garrison a battalion of peasants in it to make it run, with more resources being produced for more peasants, that would add a nice touch of realism. As for the time period, I'd rather stick to WotR (saves anachronistic heroes, plus Rohan didn't even exist back then). I might be able to help with the mapping, although I'm an amateur. My main strength is rational discussion and writing. :good:

#7 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:52 AM

I actually liked the build-anywhere system, though I do agree with you about the farm radii. And that's a good idea about the peasants.

So the peasant would serve two purposes. You could either garrison them in a training structure for a time to create small groups of soliders,archers, or cavalry, or you could send them to a farm with a max of 3 per farm to increase resource production.

So what do you think of this mod's build-anywhere concept, where you build the foundation, then the walls and farms?

Ps. Do you know how to remove the extra scripts on BFME I campaign maps?

Edit: And what do you mean by "rational discussion and writing"?

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention. Seige engines would be made by a group of engineers that you train at your camp/castle.
And do you think I would be able to add the other factions? I've been thinking along the lines of: If dwarves are mentioned in Tolkiens books, why not have an army for them? And also: If a balrog from Morgoth's army survived, woudn't there be other, less noticeable, or more easily hidden soldiers/creatures?

And what do you think the mod should be called?

Edited by Rokqua Shadowkin, 19 March 2009 - 02:02 AM.

Posted Image

#8 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:02 AM

I have a literary-based mind, and thus I really would rather use flowery wording to dance around doing an issue than actually doing it.

Translation: I'd rather talk than work. :good:

Training buildings with the peasants would work out really well, although I think that you should start out with a respectable garrison of troops at your base, since you would need someone to keep the serfs from revolting. :shiftee: I suppose the term for the peasants would be "calling the fyrd..."

#9 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:10 AM

Good idea. But any idea of what the mod would be called?

Or what the other factions would be like? I suppose we can remove dwarves and angband...even though angband is so cool... :good:

Posted Image

#10 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:38 AM

Hmmmm... here's a rough outline of the other faction tech trees.

The North
A confederation of all of the peoples who fought Sauron, the North is a versatile faction with many options of armies.

Peasant Units:
Shire Farmers- Produce the most resources in a farm, but make the worst troops. Can be trained into either Shirrifs or Bounders.
Dwarvern Miners- Produce no resources whatsoever in a farm, but make the most solid troops. Can be upgraded into Axemen.
Elven Gardeners- Produce medium resources in a farm, and are the best stealth troops. Can be upgraded into Marksmen or Blademasters.
Men of the North- Produce medium resources in farms, and are the solid backbone of the army. Can be upgraded into Warriors, Archers, Riders, or Rangers.

Regular Units:
Shirrifs- A basic unit that can toggle between quarterstaff and thrown rocks.
Bounders- Stealthy hobbits equipped with a bow to fend off the beasts from the wilds to the north of the Shire.
Axemen- A solid Dwarven unit that concentrates on armor over speed.
Warriors- The basic swordsmen for the North, Warriors can be upgraded with Dale Armor.
Archers- The ranged version of their warrior counterpart, they can also be given Dale Armor.
Riders- The sole cavalry unit for the north, these riders use the finest horses in Dale.
Rangers- These mysterious men roam the lands around Bree, protecting villagers from evil.
Marksmen- The finest archers of the North, these elves are almost invisible in woodlands.
Blademasters- The sword-skill of these elves has been honed to the finest.

Buildings:
Farm- Produces resources, but only when a unit is present; builds Farmers, Gardeners, and Men of the North
Mine- Produces greater resources and reduces upgrade costs, but only when Miners are present; builds Miners and Men of the North
Training Ground- Troop upgrades purchased here when peasants are sent in...
Citadel- The center of any self-respecting army base.
Armory- Upgrades purchased here!

Upgrades:
Dale Armor- armor for humans
Dwarven Armor- armor for elves and dwarves; better than Dale's
Fire Arrows- Arrow upgrade for a maximum of six battalions
Barbed Arrows- Arrow upgrade for normal people :good:
Elven Blades- Melee upgrade for everyone

I was thinking that Rohan would have two peasant types: the Peasant, which becomes an unmounted militia battalion, and the Herdsman, which becomes a mounted unit. The Herdsman would manage a flock... a resource producing building that's basically an animal pen. Gondor would most likely only have the civilian, Isengard would have the Orc Worker and the Uruk Worker (adding in super-weak but fast scouts for O.W.) and Mordor would have the thrall (for Easterlings/Haradrim) and the Orc Worker.

More basic tech tree emendations to follow.

Regards, IRS

#11 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:53 AM

How about this: Mines can only be built on cliffs, and can connect to a tunnel network.

Also some more structures for the North are:

Wall Hub: A wall wall hub that looks and acts like a battle tower/elevator.

Wall Battle Tower: an arrow tower expansion on a wall.

Wall Catapult: A rampart with a catapult attached.

Wall Segment: A section of wall that units can walk on. Can upgrade to all of above structures.

Foundation: A foundation that is raised slightly from the ground. Can build Farms and Walls on it.

Battle Tower: An upgradeable arrow tower.

And two more units:

Messenger: Summons multiple battalions from the edge of the map:

Elite Messenger: Can only have once per game: Ten minute build time: Summons a large number of battalions from the edge of the map, plus several seige units.

Also, seige units don't require command points, but won't work unless you assign an engineer battalion to it. Engineers will push, fire, and or otherwise use the seige engine. They will also attempt to protect the seige engine.

It would also be cool to make it so you could press a key to change the position the walls and wall hubs face.

Edited by Rokqua Shadowkin, 19 March 2009 - 03:08 AM.

Posted Image

#12 RobnKarlaFAN

RobnKarlaFAN
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:57 AM

I have an idea for a mod that removes unit-build structures, builds siege engines like a BFME II structure, and allows for build-anywhere farms and wall hubs. The farms and wall hubs, however, will only work if you build a foundation first, and the foundation will take time to build. To build and army, you don't need to have that many CP, and can go over anytime, but if you go over, your army will start to starve, and units will die randomly, and the more you go over the CP limit, the more units will die. To GET the units, you will need to build messengers for about 3,000 resources each, and send them to the edge of the map, where you will get actual battalions of about three hundred men each, but divided into many smaller hordes. to get an even larger army, you will by an elite messenger that you can only get one of with a guard troop for about 7,750 resources that gives you two and a half battalions with a total of seven-hundred and fifty soldiers. Also, both Isenguard and Mordor will be able to build walls, with Mordor's walls looking something like the Black Gate, and the wall towers being similar to the Towers of the Teeth. Also, the Castle Citidal would look like Barad'Dur, while the outpost Citidals would remain the same.

It would be a lot of coding and modeling, which I personally can't do, (or i would have made it by now) but any mapping involved could (and would) be done by me.

Edit: Could a staff member please delete or lock this topic's evil twin? I don't know what happened there. :good:
And could someone move this topic? I forgot to put it in the drawing board. :shiftee:

Edit#2: I mean the topic's TWO evil twins. :glare:

Edit(Sûl): Done

Edit(Rokqua): Thank you

ok Rokqua Shadowkin..i am ready to join you.so what will be the name of your mod? and what is the next step?

Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:36 AM

Hmmmm... thinking of a name. "BFME Realism Mod"?

Anyway, engineers sound good. Now all we need is a team. :good:

#14 RobnKarlaFAN

RobnKarlaFAN
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

Hmmmm... thinking of a name. "BFME Realism Mod"?

Anyway, engineers sound good. Now all we need is a team. :shiftee:

Right you are Ithilien! lets make a team! lets do this!
i am just awaiting Rokqua Shadowkin's command :good:

Edited by RobnKarlaFAN, 19 March 2009 - 12:07 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:33 PM

Okay, a team sounds good. If ithilien wants, he can make the descriptions for any extra maps, RobnkarlaFAN will be the coder, and now we just need a 2D artist, skinner, and modeler.

Any ideas on who we can get for those? I might be able to enlist Gfire for the 2D artist, maybe for skinning. The modeler is the hard one.

Posted Image

#16 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

The coding for all that would be a nightmare and I doubt you would find anyone with that kind of time or skill level.
It would be a series of map mods if you would get it to work.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#17 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

Hopefully, the coding will mostly be made for one faction, then copied, pasted, and edited into the other factions. If we can't add the North or the Goblins, then at least we'll be able to change the gameplay a bit. and RobnKarlaFAN seems pretty confident that he's able to do it. Modeling would actually be pretty simple. All it would be is a remodel of the black gate, and the addition of those remodels into the game. Besides, the whole coding part is well-organized, and won't take too much more than some wall scripts for mordor, and a series of timers and effects to get the appropriate drop in resources, then the dying units. And there would also need to be a camp/castle model for the North and Goblins, and a wall design for each.

And if we could get more coders, it would be less of a nightmare for everybody, and nobody will have to put in as much time.

Edited by Rokqua Shadowkin, 19 March 2009 - 02:53 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Elrond99

Elrond99

title available

• Hosted
  • 464 posts
  • Projects:None at the moment
  •  Modder without work and time :-S

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

The Idea sounds interesting, although I´d do that for BfME2 rather than 1

#19 Neutron4ever

Neutron4ever

title available

• Project Team
  • 893 posts
  • Projects:RCMOD, Kings of the West, Battle For Alagaesia
  •  RCMOD and KOTW Betatester and Edit Button Fanatic

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

But BFME1 has that "Movie Feel" to it
Even though it doesn't have all the perks that come with BFME2
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image

#20 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

Well this looks like a very cool project, but I'm not sure if I have time to work on 2d art and skinning for it.
Greetings, community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users