Photo

An LOTR-Based mod for BFME I

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  • Projects:Wars of Arda, Dol Guldur--Unfinished Version, Expanded Helm's Deep with Glittering Caves
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:43 PM

Okay. I don't really need a 2D artist right now. I just need a modeler and coder, one of which i already have. Anyone want to help with the W3D?

@RobnKarlaFAN $ ithilienranger732: What we need right now are structure scripts and descriptions, mainly being wall scripts for mordor and isenguard.

@ithilienranger732: you and i need to go out and find someone to help with the W3D. Wthout anyone to help with that, there won't be any walls for mordor and isenguard.

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them.

Posted Image

#22 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

Hmmmm... actually, Elrond99 has a point. BFME II could be given "that movie feel", with the proper tweaks. :) I'll post something about it on my moddb page.
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#23 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  • Projects:Wars of Arda, Dol Guldur--Unfinished Version, Expanded Helm's Deep with Glittering Caves
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:52 PM

Well, since i intend to keep the BFME I castles, I think we could pull some models, units, and scripts from BFME II, but make it for BFME I until we are able to convert it to the sequel and expansion.

And that still doesn't solve our lack of W3D editors. :)

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them.

Posted Image

#24 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:15 AM

You're not supposed to use bfme2 stuff in a bfme1 mod.
Greetings, community.

#25 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:24 AM

So, we couldn't recompile the w3d.big file to contain some BFME II files, and edit them for BFME I?

It certainly worked the other way around for EA.

Posted Image

#26 Neutron4ever

Neutron4ever

title available

• Project Team
  • 893 posts
  • Projects:RCMOD, Kings of the West, Battle For Alagaesia
  •  RCMOD and KOTW Betatester and Edit Button Fanatic

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:39 AM

I'm not sure the BFME2 files work for BFME1
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image

#27 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

A man who used to be here

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:51 AM

BFME II models would probably work, but you would have to reskin each and every one of them, due to the difference in shader technology and such.

Have you ever heard of the term "backwards compatibility"? That's why BFME I material automatically works in BFME II. :)

#28 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:54 AM

No, i've never heard the term, but i know the concept behind it. With the purpose of editing campaign maps, do you know how to remove the undeletable scripts on the campaigns?

Posted Image

#29 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:59 AM

Alas, I have tried, but with no success. :)

#30 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:06 AM

ah, well. I guess I'll have to start from scratch for making a:

minas tirith map, an isenguard, cirith ungol, helms deep, and other things, map.

An edoras map might be cool.

Posted Image

#31 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:48 AM

Don't give up so easily. First, ask about the issue in the WB forums and ask certain people. Someone has done this before, that I know. Second, check out these three items.

#32 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:19 AM

Oh, cool! I don't have to make an edoras map from scratch! or a minas tirith, or an isenguard, or a lothlorien......... :)

Edit: And thanks for the tip. Cirith Ungol still eludes my grasp... :xd:

Edited by Rokqua Shadowkin, 20 March 2009 - 04:25 AM.

Posted Image

#33 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:55 AM

As I said, just go and ask in the forum! :xd:

You're totally welcome. Redoing those from scratch is probably more trouble than you realize. :)

Edited by Jeth Calark, 20 March 2009 - 03:05 PM.

#34 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

Oh, I realize how much trouble they are. I've edited the scripts for Cirith Ungol (up 'til the undeletable ones), changed shelob and the spiderlings to creeps, made the webbed soldiers scream for help without flashing or joining you're army.

It's hard, but it's worth it!

Posted Image

#35 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

Oh, I realize how much trouble they are. I've edited the scripts for Cirith Ungol (up 'til the undeletable ones), changed shelob and the spiderlings to creeps, and made the webbed soldiers scream for help without flashing or joining you're army.

It's hard, but it's worth it!

Edited by Rokqua Shadowkin, 20 March 2009 - 02:29 PM.

Posted Image

#36 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

I meant redoing them from scratch. :good:

#37 RobnKarlaFAN

RobnKarlaFAN
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

ok Rokqua Shadowkin..i'll be the coder but i need one helper too..just in case if get stuck in something :good:
So we should start recruiting more team members without any delay.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#38 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

Good idea. But we should get you more than one helper. I have the feeling we're gonna get stuck in a lot of things.

I just edited a minas tirith map. You can now go to the third level of the city, rather than getting stuck at the second. I also added gates between the first and second levels and moved the base-flag to the third level. In addition, I changed the camps outside the city to castles, so as to balance the game against the might of Minas Tirith. All I have to do with it now is to make the gates controllable by player one, and add more plot points.

Posted Image

#39 RobnKarlaFAN

RobnKarlaFAN
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

Good idea. But we should get you more than one helper. I have the feeling we're gonna get stuck in a lot of things.

I just edited a minas tirith map. You can now go to the third level of the city, rather than getting stuck at the second. I also added gates between the first and second levels and moved the base-flag to the third level. In addition, I changed the camps outside the city to castles, so as to balance the game against the might of Minas Tirith. All I have to do with it now is to make the gates controllable by player one, and add more plot points.

absolutely right...then give me a couple of helpers and then tell me the list of things that need to be coded..i'll start right away.

Edited by RobnKarlaFAN, 20 March 2009 - 08:38 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#40 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

Right. I'll try to find some helpers for you as soon as possible. For now, could you simply prepare some scripts for mordor/isenguard/rohan/gondor walls? The walls should connect like a road. (as in, with a broad curve rather than with wall hubs. The original wall hub would vanish when a new section of wall is built.) If you get stuck, just let me know and wait till i get some helpers.

Also, rohan would get banners instead of catapults, isenguard would get pits/fissures instead of walls, and mordor would be like an evil gondor. The pits and fissures of isenguard would have a cave-in effect when destroyed, units cannot walk on/in them, and they can be bridged, but not climbed. Also, the "gate" of isenguard would be some kind of drawbridge. Since i don't know what part coding would play in all this, just do what you can.

Edited by Rokqua Shadowkin, 20 March 2009 - 10:00 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users