#1 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:13 AM

Here at T3A we get a lot of new people just starting out modding and wanting to start mods of their own with very little experience or direction.
These mods more often than not fail because the modder underestimates the work load or loses interest.

So I thought "what if there was a way for new modders to get experience modding and working on a team before trying to create the big TC mods?".

So this idea was born.

The Community Mod Project.

The Community Mod Project can serve as a way to teach new members how to mod and establish them selves here at T3A.

Here's what I am thinking-

The members of the mod will be new members who will work on coding,modelling,skinning,artwork,ideas,mapping,AI etc.
The mod can be led by a Senior modder who will have a kind of overseeing role over the project to make sure things run smoothly.
New members can contribute to the project as they want as long as they make sure to let the rest know what they will be doing so that there isn't 3 people working on the same model with out knowing about it.

So what should the mod be?
Post your ideas and we'll work out what would be the best and most feasible idea.
The idea shouldn't be too drastic or hard to develop and I don't think it should be LOTR based.

Also the project will need a senior modder to lead so if anyone is interested post below.

If you have an idea please post below.
What you'll need to show.

A basic brief on what you want from the mod,how many factions,what game it's for etc.
As well as a basic story.
Also post up any concepts or pictures that will help show your idea.

I think it's best to avoid using other Game ideas/Movie ideas so that we don't run into any copyright issues and so we don't limit the interest in the project.

So knock yourselves out let's see what you can come up with.

Edited by Radspakr, 28 March 2009 - 05:40 AM.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#2 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

A man who used to be here

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:06 AM

Not a bad idea, and one that might be considered sorely needed. :good: In the past, newbies seemed to be forced to find a mod team that would accept them. Over time though, the amount of mod teams around has decreased, and most of them seem to only want experienced modders anyways.

Go looking through the "I want this mod" thread; there might be a good idea buried in there. :xcahik_:

A note though: Make sure that there is enough senior modders to review all aspects of the mod. :ex:

#3 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:36 AM

I'll start the ideas with an idea I just had.

MVA
Mechs Vs Aliens.

It is exactly as it sounds it's Mechs vs Aliens.

Here's the story I'm working with -

In the year 2220 the Human Race technology has increased with Hover Technology finally becoming mass produced for Military purposes.
For the last 50 years Mechs have been the mainstay of Military forces with multiple variation being developed.
The world continued to War as it has for thousands of years.
In the year 2210 Alien life made contact with Earth,they at first were peaceful.
In 2216 they suddenly declared war on all of Earth.
For the last 4 years a ceaseless war has been waging leaving a lot of Earth desolate and inhospitable.
The Aliens have pushed the Human Race to the very limit of their defences so all the countries of the world ceased their wars in favour of defended against the greater threat.

This is a rough story and needs some polishing.

In my idea there are 2 Factions: Earth Alliance (Mechs) and the Synosis (Aliens).
They are very different factions gameplay wise.
The Earth Alliance use Mechs (Mechwarrior style Mechs) and Tanks and the usual stuff you expect.
The Synosis use powerful units that are more suited to melee (they will be a little Zerg-like).

The Mechs will have simple designs the Aliens design will be a bit more complex.

This idea is for BFME 2 allowing the use of the Build Anywhere system(though one faction may use plots).

I came up with this idea because I have been in a Mech Mood lately and I want to blast some aliens :good:
So if you guys lie this idea post,if not and you have a better idea I'd love to hear it.

I have edited the first post to add some more information.

Edit:I have added the rough unit lists

Attached File  Mechs.txt   1.55KB   57 downloads
Attached File  aliens.txt   1.96KB   64 downloads

Edited by Radspakr, 28 March 2009 - 07:11 AM.

#4 Taralom

Taralom

Self-proclaimed A**hole

• Project Team
  • 1,519 posts
  • Projects:Turned to Writing
  •  I R GOOGL'd

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

nah, the idea is good and would be much appreciated, but I'd keep it in the BFME theme.

And aliens and mechs would be tough for new skinners, modelers etc. etc.
If the above post offended you in any way,
please take note that, until further notice, I don't care, so get lost.

#5 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:46 AM

The idea of the community project is to teach the new members new skills and train them to be really good.
Sticking with BFME is limiting I think and people will only stick to kit bashing.
There's not a whole lot to learn from kit bashing.

This idea is admittedly rather grandiose and will be an option if people want to really try at something big.
If people do decide to go with my MVA idea I will probably play a bigger role in it's production.
Doing Designing mostly but I'll likely also do some animating.

If anyone has any more modest ideas be sure to post them..
It is important to get a wide range of ideas for this project.
Remember this mod will be useful in showing what you do if you wanted to start your own mod or to join an existing team.

#6 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

Hmmmmm... I guess that if there was a mod for one of them that added the First Age, there would be room for new units/animations/models/skins/maps, so that would work out pretty well in my opinion.
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#7 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:38 PM

There's not a whole lot to learn from kit bashing.

That's where I started, and now look at me ;)

Kitbashing is quite a nice place to start, because EA's skins, can in fact, be used over... Kit bashing a gondor soldier to a gondor spearmen isn't a bad idea, because it makes them learn how to get a model working, and binding it... That's the basics of BFME modeling.. I hardly make new models, I just skin them to look different.. I'm still a modeler, of BFME standards :facepalm:

And also, someone can make the skins, while others do the models.. A TC is just to much IMO

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#8 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

There's already a mod on the First Age, Ithilien. It's called the Four Ages, and it is alive. :facepalm:

#9 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

Who says there can only be one? :facepalm:
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#10 Ridder Blauw

Ridder Blauw

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,277 posts
  •  Do not force yourself into modding it's bad for your health.

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

Well if you want alot of attention it should be unique, you shouldn't do the same mod.
And you don't have to stick with the BFME theme, that way it won't be unique because almost all the other mods are BFME themed. :facepalm:

#11 Florisz

Florisz

The Young Reindeer

• Project Team
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

The Second Age. Or the First Age for BFME. Or the Fourth Age for BFME2. :facepalm:
Posted Image

#12 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

The Four Ages has already covered the First Age; Age of the Firstborn and Age of Numenor both have the Second Age, and Lauri's mod does the Fourth Age (which it is named after!)

Or just get Wars of Arda and get them all in one package! ;)

No, the LOTR theme has been done. Time to expand. :facepalm:

#13 Neutron4ever

Neutron4ever

title available

• Project Team
  • 893 posts
  • Projects:RCMOD, Kings of the West, Battle For Alagaesia
  •  RCMOD and KOTW Betatester and Edit Button Fanatic

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

A mod filled with factions from all over the fantasy universe? :facepalm:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image

#14 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:31 PM

It might be easier to at least stick with the medieval fantasy genre. It would require less work than a Mech vs. Aliens mod, or something like that, but still not be LotR-based.

Anyway, good luck with the project; I'm not sure if I will participate in it yet.
Greetings, community.

#15 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:29 PM

A Feudal mod project would be nice... the factions could be completely the same, except for powers, upgrades and heroes. I'd love a totally medieval look :p

#16 el kevo

el kevo

title available

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • Projects:Staff at Flameguard's "Game Sector Network"

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:56 PM

How about something simple like Adding an AotD faction to one of the BFME games.

Or you can go hardcore and make a TC where the characters from Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft clash in an ACTUAL console war :p
Posted Image

#17 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:43 PM

It would be interesting to make like a 18-faction like AoE that just have various technologies disabled for certain factions, as well as one unique unit and unique spells and heroes.
Greetings, community.

#18 LordTurgon

LordTurgon

Lord of Gondolin

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Projects:RC: ARC Trooper Mod

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:35 AM

How about Vikings?

RCMODFanPlayerS.jpg
291.jpg
RJ-mod_Fan.jpg
May Rhovanion Alliance Rest in Peace.

#19 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:16 AM

As long as they are correctly and historically portrayed. In other words, no horns on helmets. :shiftee:

#20 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:29 AM

Ooh, someone make a Viking mod for BFME! If it turns out to be awesome, that might be enough to convince me to buy the game. Well, if you want a hand with writing up any backgrounds or anything, I'm your man. I come ready equipped with an extensive knowledge of Norse language, culture, society and mythology and, as owner of the Creativity forums, specifically the Writers' Guild, and co-owner (apparently) of the RPG Frontier, my writing skills can be verified by numerous trustworthy Revorian sources.

Jeth is correct, no horns on helmets, unless we're being extremely ceremonial, but I can't help but feel that won't come up in gameplay.... Lots of axes, though. :shiftee:
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users