#21 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

Like a true northerner, Ash, you have entirely neglected to differentiate between one group of southern fairies and another. :p

If it's brown, steaming and on the pavement, it's still dogshit no matter what measures you use to differentiate it. :p

There's us Oxford folk, who speak like you Americans think we all sound.

Are you actually from Oxford or are you an exiled Northerner? Your member profile shows Sheffield..

Next, there are the Aylesbury scum. They're like the Glaswegians of the Home Counties: clothed in cheap tracksuits, angry and unintelligible, and full of teen pregnancy.

Ah, the Warrington of the south, then. I must admit I don't know so much about the different facets of Southern ponce. :p

You forgot the West Country, too.

No no, I mentioned Cornwall. Devonshire traitors basically allied themselves with that lot, although the speak less like the stereotypical farmer.

And the Black Country (separate and distinct from the Birmingham accent area) and a ton of others.

Hm, I must admit I'm not familiar.

Basically, the dialect and the heritage changes every twenty or so miles in Britain. We're just like that.

He's not kidding, either. I can spot a Sheffielder in town from a mile away. They just sound funny.

One other thing, I have a few friends from Warrington way, and they think of themselves as Mancs, not Scousers.

Well if they adopted a more Mancunian accent I could tend to agree. But no, they fall into the same Plastic-Scouse area as Ellesmere Port, Helsby, Chester and North Wales. They sound Scouse, but not *quite*. Warrington don't have the phlegm gargling on the phoneme 'ck' (as in 'back'), but other than that it's pretty Scouse. Hence, plastic scouse :p Besides, Warrington is the only part of the country rougher than Liverpool itself. Maybe Nottingham... :unsure:

Edited by Ash, 01 April 2009 - 12:48 PM.

#22 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

There's us Oxford folk, who speak like you Americans think we all sound. You know, upper-middle class tea-drinking Times-reading folk. Although we don't wear monocles, or top hats, and we don't say "I say," at things. Ever.

Actually, you're wrong. Around here, we think you're a bunch of footy-playing blokes who get way too smashed at the pub, wot wot govn'a, and then go home and fix up their fauxhawks. :p

Next, there are the Aylesbury scum. They're like the Glaswegians of the Home Counties: clothed in cheap tracksuits, angry and unintelligible, and full of teen pregnancy.

Chavs! :p It's such a better name than wigger, which is the same exact thing...

(Am I right in assuming they are chavs? Did I use chav properly? :unsure: )

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#23 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:10 PM

No. Wiggers are white guys wearing black guy gear and trying to pull off the things that black guys do. Chavs wear tracksuits, fake 'bling' jewellery (i can see where the confusion is on this point), wear their tracksuit bottoms inside their socks, baseball caps, and usually sit around drinking cider, eating KFC and getting one another pregnant. They are utterly beyond retarded, having more teeth than brain cells, and the female of this subhuman species, even pre-pregnancy, generally wear their trackie bottoms two-sizes too small for their flabby guts.

The thing is, American bling is clearly expensive. Posted Image Here is a common example of chav jewellery.

EDIT: Sorry for uber pic size. Someone make it smaller if they want - I am on my laptop which has no image editing software so I can't :(

Edited by Ash, 01 April 2009 - 01:11 PM.

#24 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts
  •  Ex Cameo Maker and Modder

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

Am i really posh cause im in Cambridgeshire? :unsure: Bloody Northern Monkey! XD
Posted Image

#25 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

I'm a northerner trapped in a southerner's body. My family's from the north up until my parents, who moved to Oxfordshire around the time I was born. Now I'm at uni in Sheffield, and I have every intention of staying up here when I'm finished, uh... "learning". :unsure:

Actually, you're wrong. Around here, we think you're a bunch of footy-playing blokes who get way too smashed at the pub, wot wot govn'a, and then go home and fix up their fauxhawks.

Well, we do play football and drink too much, but nobody outside the East End and very few even within the East End actually call anyone 'guv'na' any more. Sadly, along with Cockney rhyming slang, it is a dying tradition. And my hair is far too long to even contemplate a fauxhawk.

Hey Xeno, would you consider Cambridgeshire to be part of East Anglia? This is a contentious issue among dialectologists and sociolinguists. Oh, and one last thing: the Black Country accent is kinda like a cross between the West Country and Birmingham, so it's not great, but it's kinda funny to listen to them say certain words. For some reason there are a lot of Midland folk at uni in Sheffield.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#26 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

Well, I'm from Hertfordshire. The pure definition of a middle-class county.

Although we don't wear monocles

I beg to differ!

#27 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:39 PM

Alright, most of us don't wear monocles. :p Way to reinforce stereotypes, Puppeteer... :unsure:
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#28 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

I rather hope he actually does wear a monocle. :p

And if as long as you're a Yorkshireman at heart, it's OK. :p
The worrying thing is that two Yorkshire football teams can't play one another without there being a fight. We might as well split into a bunch of micronations. :unsure:

#29 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:03 AM

There's nothing wrong with being part of a stereotype. I don't know too many black people that only eat fried chicken, kool-aid, and orange soda.

Hello everyone. I am back.

#30 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:17 AM

As far as I knew that was a wholly American thing (especially the fried chicken bit). I didn't think the stereotype only extended to black people.

#31 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:47 AM

Sorry but cambridgshire is a BIG part of East anglia, just as much as Norfolk and Suffolk. Those who think otherwise should really be labotimised.

So Ash, what did you actually get for your Birthday? ;)
Posted Image

#32 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

Abbey got me a lava lamp. :wub:
As for what else I got, I got £140 and $30 (leftover from my aunt's last trip to America - I have been told that I HAVE to gamble those dollars tho ;) Maybe stick it on a blackjack table or roulette or something, lol).
My 10-day trip to Vegas is a present - Mum is also going to buy me a bunch of shit while I'm over there, including a leather jacket which I'm after. Ill try get her to get me some Oakley shades too, and buy myself a pair of aviators ;)

Edited by Ash, 02 April 2009 - 11:35 AM.

#33 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:40 PM

Well, I'm from Hertfordshire. The pure definition of a middle-class county.

Here here!

Of course within that, you get varying degrees of classes. I.e some parts of Herts are heavily populated by scum, whilst other parts are the areas in which people who have money spilling out every orifice tend to reside.

To be honest, you get that in most places...
Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#34 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:39 PM

Sorry but cambridgshire is a BIG part of East anglia, just as much as Norfolk and Suffolk. Those who think otherwise should really be labotimised.

So Ash, what did you actually get for your Birthday? ;)

Suffolk is an American town in Virginia that I was born in... ;)

Hello everyone. I am back.

#35 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:59 PM

lol yet another name America stole from England :p Other examples are Cambridge, England, York, Jersey as well as several others im sure ;)
Posted Image

#36 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

Australia are just as bad, to be fair. But yes, there's a Barnsley in America too. :p

#37 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:49 PM

Of course within that, you get varying degrees of classes. I.e some parts of Herts are heavily populated by scum, whilst other parts are the areas in which people who have money spilling out every orifice tend to reside.

*cough* Watford *cough*
I live just outside of Watford, thank god not in it. That'd be my worst nightmare.

#38 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:25 PM

Fuck you buddy!

;)

Thankfully, one resides in a more desirable area where the roads are smooth, grass verges are cut, litter is sparse and crime is no where to be seen. The most you have to worry about is the occasional car that comes speeding down the road!
Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#39 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

Thankfully, one resides in a more desirable area where the roads are smooth, grass verges are cut, litter is sparse and crime is no where to be seen. The most you have to worry about is the occasional car that comes speeding down the road!

Yeah, we have two places like that nearby. Chorleywood and Loudwater. Damn them. I'm stuck inbetween Rickmansworth and Watford :p

#40 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:12 PM

Well fuck you both. Posh bastards.
I live on a council estate. Between the many speed bumps and deep potholes, it's like a petrol-heads rollercoaster. Crime is only nowhere to be seen if you shut your fucking eyes and the occasional speeding car is occasionally every 20 minutes. A quater of the estate consists of chavs, a quater are dole scroungers and the rest are tough bastards. Still, there's no place like home.
Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users