22 replies to this topic

#1 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:02 PM

Although the sections of this forum aren't labelled as such they seem to be organised into:

Staff - "Backstage"
Network Discussion- "Revora Creative Network"
General Discussion- "Community"
Modding Area - "Network"

The general "Games Modding" forum is under Games and Movies in what I would consider the general discussion section, would it not make more sense to have that at the top of the "Network" section and call the "Network" section Modding or something like that?

While I appreciate the "Network" section is for divisions of the network relating to games it's a more fitting home for a not game specific modding forum. A new Revora member would have to look in sub-forums to find anything relating to modding and it's not terribly intuitive, especially for a modding-based community.

#2 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:13 PM

I think we should leave this discussion between Detail (GamesModding) and Hybrid (Community Leader). I'm sure they can find out a better solution for this issue.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#3 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

The forum is "Games Modding", not "GamesModding.com"*, as it's a forum organisation issue it's just down to Hybrid.

*I believe we're letting the new staff setup settle in before a decision is made.

#4 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:07 PM

Since yesterday (I think) Games Modding = GamesModding.com :p
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#5 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

Double post and I got four notification e-mails :p

And no, you're mistaken. It's under discussion still.

Edited by Daz, 29 March 2009 - 04:20 PM.

#6 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  • Projects:Dayvi.com
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:37 PM

I wont be making a final decision until i know how many clicks a link in the network bar gets.
Revora's past indicates i wont get that data for many months.

#7 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:39 PM

Why is that so important?
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#8 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

Because we want to actually be gaining something before we join a network that can't look after what's already here?

RAlert has been dead forever and still hasn't been cleaned up, it's hosting a supposedly terrorist hacked site still and every third click I make in the forums on an evening gives a 500 error or an utterly insane loading time. There are four threads in this very forum called "DELETING PROFILE", you've seen one of them yourself to ban the person who posted them but haven't removed the duplicate threads?
All any staff have ever commented is that it's someone else's job or that it's being worked on, it really can't be that much work to kill RAlert. Surely someone must have access to the FTP and can code a front page for it that actually works, doesn't link to dead sites and terrorist propaganda and doesn't look utterly awful? At the very, very least it doesn't need to be linked from the network bar anymore.

Edited by Daz, 30 March 2009 - 02:49 PM.

#9 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

What you say is all true, but doesn't answer my question. Why do you so desperately want to know the amount of clicks the network bar generates?

Anyway, I've recorded this request. We'll add the tracking functionality to the bar. The problem is that there are about 2 programmers and about 20 projects we have to do, and others have a higher priority.

#10 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:02 PM

I believe Detail wants to see what level of traffic flows through the network bar.

Also, those threads are still there. Putting off the 30-second jobs in favour of things deemed more important is exactly what's creating problems here.

Edited by Daz, 30 March 2009 - 03:08 PM.

#11 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:00 PM

The main attractive is not the traffic from the network bar itself, although it may help it a bit. You guys are underestimating Revora when the level of interactivity from Games Modding with public is as bad as the site you linked, dispite all the amazing efforts that you guys are doing to make it popular. Few people are registering in your forums and posting replies, while Revora has a strong user base that you guys could use to boost the popularity of Games Modding.

Several hostees on Revora might not be popular at all, because we never used our resources to promote them, although the ones we promoted are quite popular. Mental Omega, Special Extended Edition, Contra are just a couple of mods that we helped to promote. It's also our great interest to use our resources (forum, network bar spotlight, other divisions, public relationship, etc) to promote GM once it joins Revora.

I see it as a win win situation although it won't do any miracle, but you guys are clearly underestimating Revora.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#12 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:11 PM

We're aware of the extra activity we stand to gain from being part of Revora.

In my opinion (which is not necessarily the GamesModding.com opinion) a network that can't look after itself, has forums that regularly crash if you try to use them at peak hours and has staff who are apparently too busy to change a couple of lines of html, delete a few forum threads or unhost/remove links to hacked and dead sites that were reported weeks ago isn't worth the extra activity. I'm not a fan of the way the forums are laid out either, but I understand you're discussing restructuring the network sites which I presume will affect the forum organisation too.

#13 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

I understand your concerns about the crash. Yesterday Mastermind has ordered a new RAM module and it was installed a couple of hours ago. So, we are back with 3gb. And error 500 will give us some peace from now on.

Also, Revora's new system was implemented recently, so the new departments got started last week and things are running much faster and smoother than ever. We are learning how to take care of ourselves. If you ever look at the staff forums again, you'll see a hell of a difference.
Project Perfect Mod

Posted Image

#14 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:23 PM

Why do you so desperately want to know the amount of clicks the network bar generates?

I know it'll take you a month or so to add click counting to the bar. I'm not desperate :p
I just want to make an informed decision before changing GM.

Daz's first post still stands. The forums position is un-intuitive.

Banshee, Yes all that stuff you offer is cool. But i don't think GM is doing that bad for a 2 month old site. We've only had out forum 1 month (in which time it's been advertised once).

Edited by Detail, 30 March 2009 - 06:24 PM.

#15 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:05 PM

Yesterday wasn't so much a case of a crash, it was more struggling to open threads and every time I posted it would 500. I haven't encountered it today however so I'd count that issue as solved.

I can't see staff forums, just hosting (as I'm hosted) and the CNC3.net one (as the password is still what it was when I was staff there), I picked up on the reorganising in the C&C Divisions Reform thread.

I presume by new system you mean the staff system. Whoever is in charge of moderating needs a kick up the backside because that "DELETING PROFILE" quadruple thread has been there since lunch today and noone's touched it (despite two people with admin badges having posted in this thread). And whoever is in charge of hosting needs the same as the terrorist propaganda site is still up.
I do see that someone pulled the links off the RAlert site so well done for that, but they've pulled the good sites too (Godwin, spyvsspy) and there's still a RAlert site (which is linked from the network bar) with a hosting page that 404s.
I don't mean to be rude but I could have solved those things in less time than it's taken me to write this post.

And as Detail says - whether it's yours or ours the Games Modding forum is poorly placed.

Another one has just occurred to me aswell, the Revora Hosted Projects section has two HL projects and four "other" projects, do they really need to be buried in an extra layer of forums just because they aren't part of a network site?

To me this would make more sense for the "Network" section:

General Modding
BFME
C&C Guild
C&C3 TW
C&C RA3
Half Life
Petro
RPG Frontier
Warhammer 40k
Other Projects

Edited by Daz, 30 March 2009 - 07:31 PM.

#16 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

I know it'll take you a month or so to add click counting to the bar.

Well the task isn't that hard, but like I said, we have a lot to do and few people to do it (crap, almost wrote "little people" there :p)

To me this would make more sense for the "Network" section:

[...]

I don't think we need the "Half Life" section at all, if there are just two projects. We can stick them next to the other other projects.

Anyway, your arguments are, again, correct. It's just that we've only recently restructured our management and a few departments aren't fully up to speed yet. These include Community/PR and Maintenance, who are in charge of a good deal of that stuff.
Of course, you're welcome to help out. If you think you can fix all those things in a few secs, please feel free :p

#17 UAVg

UAVg
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:35 PM

Why do you so desperately want to know the amount of clicks the network bar generates?

I know it'll take you a month or so to add click counting to the bar. I'm not desperate :p
I just want to make an informed decision before changing GM.

Daz's first post still stands. The forums position is un-intuitive.

Banshee, Yes all that stuff you offer is cool. But i don't think GM is doing that bad for a 2 month old site. We've only had out forum 1 month (in which time it's been advertised once).

Not even one month. And even so, the forums are *cough* a little cleaner than this.
I agree with Daz and 1, they tend to be making more sense out of the situation then I am.
If you aren't going to fix little problems that take half a minute to do in favor of "More Important Tasks", then why bother. And by 30s jobs I mean removing the terrorist propaganda and deleting posts that need to be deleted, like responsible admins should do. In the long run, that seems to be a more economical solution, right? Pfff. I'll be laughing when the police knock on your door for holding terrorist propaganda on your site. Its quite illegal, actually.

#18 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

Wewt, the quadruple topic is gone :p

I don't think we need the "Half Life" section at all, if there are just two projects. We can stick them next to the other other projects.

That's a fair point. Moving all the subforums of Half Life Projects and Standalone Projects into Revora Hosted Projects would work better than two new separate sections in the main forum list.

Of course, you're welcome to help out. If you think you can fix all those things in a few secs, please feel free :p

If someone with FTP access deletes the index.php that's in there and uploads the attached one it'll look a lot more presentable.
The forum stuff should only take a few clicks in the admin CP provided it's okayed by other staff members (or at least whoever's in charge of the forum organisation).

Attached Files

Edited by Daz, 30 March 2009 - 08:53 PM.

#19 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

Although the sections of this forum aren't labelled as such they seem to be organised into:

Staff - "Backstage"
Network Discussion- "Revora Creative Network"
General Discussion- "Community"
Modding Area - "Network"

The general "Games Modding" forum is under Games and Movies in what I would consider the general discussion section, would it not make more sense to have that at the top of the "Network" section and call the "Network" section Modding or something like that?

While I appreciate the "Network" section is for divisions of the network relating to games it's a more fitting home for a not game specific modding forum. A new Revora member would have to look in sub-forums to find anything relating to modding and it's not terribly intuitive, especially for a modding-based community.

What I will do, is once the decision has been made by Detail (which may have already happened - I can't keep up with everything atm due to lack of time and coursework), is to move GameModding under the "network" section. I would like to keep the Revora Creative network category small as it is mainly just for revora's central division and departmental use. As details site would be a division, it belongs with all the other divisions in the last category.

#20 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

When will this move happen?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users