just newbie need a help in skining

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kaiba9_*

Guest_kaiba9_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:26 PM

hi all
i was woundering if there are some skining turourials for Beginners caus its my first time to skin and i

dont know even where i can find the model that i want to reskin (i searched in w3d file but i lost my self there because there

are too many files with strange names) also i searched the texture files but didnt find the heroes skin like galadriel faramir

and many more so iam some kind of alooser skiner

so if u know some topics , infos or notes in skining helps me to get start i will appreciative

thank you

#2 gustavowizard

gustavowizard
  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:27 AM

ok i will try to help:

first you need the FinalBig program to look for the models and textures (skins) at the INI.big file.
For example i will use elrond:

1-)Open the Elrond.ini file (located in the INI.big file that you open with the FINAL big, open it and extract to your desktop to make the job more easy.

2-)Now notice this entrance at the begging:
Model = RUElrond_SKN <---- this is the model. Its a w3d. If you open this file with Another program called RenX (there is tutorials for that) you can see all the textures (what u want) that are associated to that model. But for now u should try to look out on the textures.big files, all the skins are there :good:
In this case you want to change Elrond skin, to lets say make it a red set insted of blue.
************Ok so the file you need is this: ruelrond2_h.tga ***********************

3-)Go to FinalBig and open the Textures3.big file and search for it, its easy to find since its on order, go to ru folder and look for it, extract to desktop.

4-)Now open the file with Photoshop 7.0 or better (choose NO when a box appear before load the file), then use the magic wand tool to select the stuff u wanna dye, etc. If u add any small picture to a FLAT area of the texture dont forget to use the option Flatten Image after save it. Save it and close photoshop, then on the desktop rename it to any name, lets use ruelrondskin.

5-)Then add this line at your Elrond.ini file under the first draw module_tag, on the very begin of the file:
RandomTexture = ruelrondskin.tga 0 ruelrond2_h.tga
its a zero betheween then not a "O" letter

6-)Now move your new ruelrondskin.tga texture to the correct folder (art\compiledtextures\ru folder) and then create the Asset file with the Assetbuilder small program (found here to download if i dont mistake), then move your new asset.dat file and replace the older (make backups if necessary)

7-) Move the Elrond.ini back to its place and DONE :p i hope it helps,

Edited by gustavowizard, 08 April 2009 - 12:29 AM.

#3 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:20 AM

If that up there does not help you enough then look for some tutorials here :good:
http://www.the3rdage...pe=1&category=2
Ridder Geel

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:34 AM

gustavowizard wow u really awsome that was easy to follow and i changed elrond skin
thank you man u draw a smile on my face thank you
u r the best of best

#5 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:49 AM

Sure he is the best of the best :) I guess he explained it real well :)
Gustavowizard it looks like you have a fan ;)
Ridder Geel

#6 Neged

Neged
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

i dont get this...
how can you open a .dds file with photoshop??
i mean i have cs4...

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:32 AM

use dds plugin u will find it in the3rdage.net under tools

#8 gustavowizard

gustavowizard
  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:28 AM

lol thanks for all that man ;) i tried to help someone that is beggining like Ridder and other did for me so far ;) im really happy it helped man ^_^
btw i must say im a begginer too in this mod arts (i even know how to modeling hehe) however im learning fast since i speak portuguese (not english) and im biologyst hah
i must say guys like Ridder and JUS_SAURON and others i cant remember all but this 2 one are specially care people that explain with patience for us, them are the true Best ones! they model and know ALL stuff heh
anyway im glad i helped too ;)

Edited by gustavowizard, 10 April 2009 - 06:29 AM.

#9 Black Dragon

Black Dragon

title available

• Project Team
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:19 PM

Sorry to resurrect this topic but I was trying to reskin a hero from the RJ mod. I did the textures and put them in the same folder I got the original from and then did the code as tutorials advise. However the hero comes out pink.

Object DarkDunedainCaptain
; *** ART Parameters ***

; SelectPortrait for Heros is portrait behind skill buttons. HP = HeroPortrait.
SelectPortrait = HPArveduiPortrait

; ButtonImage for Heros is button image on Hero Select UI to select hero. HI = HeroIcon or HeroImage.
ButtonImage = HIArveduiIcon

DescriptionStrategic = CONTROLBAR:LW_ToolTip_Aragorn

Draw = W3DScriptedModelDraw ModuleTag_DRAW ;ModuleTag_01
OkToChangeModelColor = No
StaticModelLODMode = yes ; Will append M or L to the skin name depending on GameLOD
RandomTexture = AngmarHero2.tga 0 nuarvedui.tga
RandomTexture = AngmarHero1.tga 0 nuarvedui1.tga

DefaultModelConditionState
Model = nuarvedui_skn
Skeleton = EUGlrfdl_SKL
End

Have I done something wrong in the code? Is there a different folder the new textures must go in?

Thanks

blackdragon.jpg

#10 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:20 AM

Did you make an asset.dat? ;) Look on the3rdage.net for asset creators :p
Ridder Geel

#11 Black Dragon

Black Dragon

title available

• Project Team
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:11 PM

Ok I tried to use some of the asset tools. The readme states:

First grab your textures and models drag them in the same folder as AssetCacheBuilder and run AssetCacheBuilder, then asset.dat will appear.

So I do what it suggests and drag my two textures into the folder. Then I activiate the tool and it gives me an asset.dat - Inside that file is this:

ALAE

Please can someone help I don't understand what I am supposed to do. I'm pretty sure I require the original RJ asset.dat intact and so this "new" file is without a doubt not what I want.

blackdragon.jpg

#12 Black Dragon

Black Dragon

title available

• Project Team
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

Ok I got this working, the tool from EA wasn't working but the Sy Asset tool worked fine. I just needed to ensure that the filepath was the same so instead of dragging the textures from my desktop I had to put them into the correct folder. Sounds obvious I know but it wasn't made that clear :p

blackdragon.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users